PDA

View Full Version : Voice

katiekat
02-24-2013, 11:26 PM
For those of you who are genetic males but have developed passable female voice; how many of you managed to do that by yourself (i.e without HRT or voice therapist)? And what do you use to practice?

Rianna Humble
02-24-2013, 11:35 PM
I needed both HRT and voice coaching. My voice coach suggested recording my voice and also using some basic spectral analysis tools, but I couldn't find any of the latter at a reasonable cost.

Xrys
02-25-2013, 12:20 AM
i dont my voice is passable yet, but my friends say otherwise. not sure if it is or if they are just being nice. anyway, most of what i do for my voice, i learned from youtube. there is lots of good stuff out there, but also tons of crap. it takes some patience. i also am lucky because i am the only person present when i work so i heve lots of time to practice. i do plan on seeing a coach, but that is on a long list of stuff i cant afford. the best advice i can give is be patient and keep looking for oportunities to practice.

Starling
02-25-2013, 02:56 AM
Katie, the most important thing I learned is that variation in pitch is as important as pitch itself. Women tend to use their voices more expressively, regardless of their vocal range. Wherever you pitch your voice, flexibility and the ability to project emotion are crucial.

My advice is to listen analytically to a lot of women talking and singing, because there's a huge range of voice placement, pitch, resonance, timbre and attack. You may find it's better for you to be a confident contralto than a slippery soprano.

:) Lallie