PDA

View Full Version : Why do you do it?

Betty_42
02-25-2013, 03:31 AM
So in an effort to better understand myself and why I do what I do, I'm actually in the process of writing an essay right now about why I like to cross dress and do some of the things that I like to do... That said, I can't help but ask, why do you do it? Why dress up as a woman? I'll start!

For me, it's both a desire to feel pretty and a desire to escape the "cards I've been dealt" and instead become something more. To experience life more fully! Oh! When I'm Betty, I feel almost magical! To wear the frilly girly cloths, makeup, and we can't forget the panties! I love panties so much! Just the way they feel against my skin! Just about any panties really! Cotton, silk, satin, and even (heaven forbid) polyester!

Anyway, it's interesting to note that Betty first appeared back when I was 14. I used to dress in my mothers cloths. Mostly panties, stockings, and skirts. I liked to do this but for a little while at a time. It's interesting to note that she disappeared abruptly when I turned 18, shortly after I graduated from high school. I do not know why, and while I'd be interested in theories, that is not the purpose of this post...

biggirlsarah
02-25-2013, 04:17 AM
Hi Betty In answer to your question for me is I dress because it makes me feel closer to my ideal of who I actually am , I don't feel comfortable in my male gender role that being conforming to what society expects of me as a man I don't do it because I like the feel of the materials, I don't wear sexy or silky underwear although I do have some really nice bra's I love feminine hats especially if my wife and I are out shopping we have a laugh trying on hats, I especially love shoes I personally have about 40 pairs, a girl can never have enough shoes, so for me that is why I do it, but if I cant dress for a period of time then I get really depressed, I know it is irrational but that is the way it is, some people drink, some gamble I wear women's clothes , that's it.
Actually I don't know why I do it , it just feels right.
Love and hugs Sarah xxx

Rachel05
02-25-2013, 05:02 AM
I have thought long and hard for many years about the why, why do I do it, the honest answer is I actually don't know for sure, I know I feel amazing when I am even underdressed, I adore nice underwear and love how it makes me feel, I don't want to be a full time lady, but I so enjoy being a part time one

If I feel stressed then being Rachel calms me, if I want to feel nice then I dress too

I started when I was very young with my mums things and here I am some 45 years later and I embrace what I am, but long since gave up trying to understand what I am

Beverley Sims
02-25-2013, 05:11 AM
When I dress I feel comfortable with myself.

SarahMarie42
02-25-2013, 05:16 AM
Because, when I'm not picking myself to pieces and exaggerating my flaws, and I see a woman in the mirror? -- everything seems right. :]

noeleena
02-25-2013, 05:32 AM
Hi,

My reasons will be different, ( of cause ) , i make many of my clothes & like wearing them to events that we have going on, as a member of a few groups it lends itself quite well .

as an Edwardian woman we have different get to gethers the last one being our Govenor-General & his lady plus 250 others came as well so yes our group was dressed in our finery this took place on the 21 st of Feb this month,

So i have many reasons to get dressed, & lots of oppitunitys & did speak with many people ,

This sunday just gone we had our Scottish BBQ at our Chef's home with his wife, we had about 25 it was a nice evening & the banter was lovely so yes i get dressed in my nice clothes, well it is lovely being with our groups,

...noeleena...

Kate Simmons
02-25-2013, 05:38 AM
I giess in my case, the question would be why does an old geezer want to look like a stylish old woman? I guess the answer would be because I can. In spite of the little extra effort it takes me to look nice, I do it because I like to and it's part of who I am and keeps things interesting. If I walked around like a dotering old fool, I would no doubt become complacent. This keeps my mind and imagination going.:battingeyelashes::)

wantstocrossdress
02-25-2013, 05:44 AM
because i love pantyhose/tights/stockings. i would not dress up en femme without them. i can sometimes just wear pantyhose/tights/stockings and this is how i started but it feels inadequate nowadays so whenever i do dress up, i do it from head to foot. :D
there are days when i dont feel the urge to dress up or when i am too busy. when i am free, and no one is around then i'd dress up. its something i cant stop and i progressed from just pantyhose to dressing up in full.
i'd wear pantyhose/tights/stockings too under my jeans if i had but its too hot where i live and of course you have that fear of being caught and having to explain why a man i wearing women's clothing under his pants. to avoid this, i dress up when its safe.

Angela Campbell
02-25-2013, 06:17 AM
I do this because I feel like I am a woman and I want to look like I feel.

stephNE
02-25-2013, 06:24 AM
I'm not sure I can give you a good answer to this question. It isn't scientific like "this is because..."
I have an attraction to women and their clothes and when I dress en femme, I feel comfortable with myself, and at peace.

pantygirl
02-25-2013, 06:41 AM
I have always had an attraction to panties, stockings and perfume. Occasionally I would put on a pair of my wife's. I would even buy her sexy panties she would never wear just so I could.

Now that I have come out fully as a gay man, I buy myself panties and stockings every week. MY husband is fully supportive and we even looked at some shoes this past weekend.

I can't wait!!!

Maria S
02-25-2013, 06:46 AM
I look better dressed as a woman than as a man. Womens clothes fit me better. I like the feeling I get knowing that when I go out people take me as a woman. I get a chance to be someone else who starts with a blank canvass and I can build this person the way I want to be, chiefly a woman! I can forget my troubles and woes. When I am out I have found people react differently to women than men. I can't quite put my finger on it but I know I like that difference.

Maria

pantygirl
02-25-2013, 06:51 AM
I do it because it makes me feel whole and sexy

Erica Marie
02-25-2013, 06:54 AM
I dress because it is part of who I am. Just wish I would have more chances to and that is was more accepting as being a normal behavior.

Vicky_Scot
02-25-2013, 07:15 AM
Why do I do it?

Because I am hard wired that way and do not have a choice.

It is something I was born with.

dominique
02-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Why ? Oh dear what a question. For me its putting on the clothes and seeing my drab clothes lying in a heap. From the minute I put on my foundation my whole persona changes from being a man to woman. Also the clothes have a huge appeal from bra's, panties, skirts and especially tights. Also to be treated differently as a woman and I enjoy that.

May(be)
02-25-2013, 07:57 AM
Do I ask this question because I crossdress, or do I crossdress because I ask this question?

BLUE ORCHID
02-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Hi Betty, It's very simple, It's who I am and it's what I do.

Amy Fakley
02-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Gawd, I wish I knew.

Like a whole lot of people here it started before I even had a word for it. By first grade, sneaking around raiding the hampers in the house, trying to put myself together. It's so deeply a part of who I am. I have to think it's instinctual like horses born knowing how to stand, birds knowing to to fly south in the winter ... cats born purring. I don't know why ... it's completely bizarre and Frankly unexplainable to the uninitiated.

Sometimes I wish I'd have been born gay, or that I was into some kinky far out bondage scene or something. I mean, at least people know how to process that. By and large society accepts gay people, even. This ... it's like coming from a completely different planet, and the first question anyone asks is "why" ... and there literally is no answer other than "because I have to."

Cheryl T
02-25-2013, 09:43 AM
It began as a curiosity about the fabrics and forbidden nature of the garments. Then of course during puberty the sexual component appeared and stayed for some time. All the while searching for the reason why and not finding it I continued on. Now I realize that there is a very strong female component in my being that needs expression and although there may be other ways of satisfying this need the one that provides the most complete fulfillment for me is transforming myself into that woman and allowing others to see her, to meet her, to understand her.

confusedcder
02-25-2013, 09:44 AM
I would say it's the feel of the clothes that have dragged me too it, the feeling dressed in attire designed for females at ease and the feel on my skin. Back when I was young i would say because it felt good and felt nice in it. It's not something to truly have a choice in and nor a simple answer, with curves I feel empowered and sexy, something in male form i cannot be. It was a curiosity on the female body more particularly the garments i saw on tv that drove me to trying rumaging around the drawers.

Jenniferathome
02-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Why do I breath? Why do I ride bikes? Why do I love Monty Python? I just do. It makes sense.

Nikki Rich
02-25-2013, 11:04 AM
I wish I knew why , this can be a very difficult path , that I know I would not have chosen if given the choice but I can not do anything about that , its just part of who I am and I'm finally coming to terms with that fact. I now know that coming to this realization makes it easier to live with myself.

Ambrosia
02-25-2013, 12:00 PM
I recently started to dress just a short time ago. I do it because I finally realized who I am. Make up, wigs, clothes, etc are all the icing on the cake for me. The cake is what really matters and its all girl and all good.

becky77
02-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Because it's all i've ever known and it's how I identify. When I look in the mirror and see myself as Becky everything feels right and I feel normal. When I see that boring git in the mirror I lose my identity and all my confidence!

Jaymees22
02-25-2013, 12:52 PM
I was looking for something sexual and found something better "Myself", a much happier self than I had ever imagined...Hugs Jaymee

franlee
02-25-2013, 01:02 PM
There is no one reason, it's like anything that I realy enjoy. I get into it very heavily and then kind of burn out form doing it everyday. But I have used it to my advantage over the years to the point of it's theariputic and relaxing after that Buzz from going through the trouble of getting completely dressed.

karusiskaru
02-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Crossdressing is one important way I address the bigger task of feeling and wanting to be a female...

For me, the root of it is I desperately want to be girly and feminine in all aspects of my life.. and being able to dress like a woman gives me immense satisfaction (although I don't think my physical appearance is suited to be a girl...)

Amanda_Robinson
02-25-2013, 01:40 PM
For me it began with curiosity. I found that I like the feeling of the clothes and I enjoy the transformation (or at least an honest attempt at one ) :) . After two purges I am now simply satisfied that it is relaxing and I enjoy it.
~Amanda

PaulaQ
02-25-2013, 01:57 PM
For me:
1. Part of me is female, and at some level, I've always known this. When I looked at myself in the mirror for the first time in makeup, a wigh, and breast froms, it was as if I'd seen my face for the first time in my life.
2. I am afflicted by a terrible curse.

StacyPump
02-25-2013, 02:43 PM
I don't know why I started crossdressing as a child. I can guess, but I don't know for sure. I do know how it made me feel, and I still feel the same way. It is an escape from feelings of shame, and inadaquacy. It is also an escape from the stress and pressure of everyday life.

It is also very erotic for me. I am attracted to the way I look in stockings, heels, a dress, makeup and womanly curves. When I am dressed up as a woman, I feel strong and special and attractive and sexy and desirable and a little wild -- letting go, for the time being, of the opinions of others, and the pressure of what I "should" be doing, or what is expected of me.

Gretchen_To_Be
02-25-2013, 03:02 PM
The vision of a woman's legs in pantyhose or stockings and a pair of stiletto pumps has always been devastatingly erotic for me. I had a teacher in 7th grade who always wore skirts, heels, hose and sometimes high-heeled boots. I sat in the front row. I got a leg show almost every day, and I think it was seared into my psyche. I loved the look so much, I had to find out what it felt like to wear.

Now I think I crossdress because it gives me an opportunity to look at and touch a pair of legs in hose and heels (mine) without a woman being present. I love watching women in airports, trade shows, etc., where they still wear hose and heels, but I would never stare, follow them around, or take pics, because that would be creepy.

misstracy90
02-25-2013, 04:02 PM
I like feeling pretty and how wearing the clothes feel. I enjoy being Tracy. It is confusing I am not entirely sure. It is fun! I feel like I am being another part of me.

Michelle13
02-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Wow what a blunt yet interesting question. Funny thing is, I just realized that I've never really asked myself this question. I guess I'll have to think long and hard here and basically discover for the first time myself also, why I enjoy it.

I know the reasons are drastically different for everyone it seems, for some it's a fetish. Other's it's an actual transgendered related reason.

The best reason I can come up with for myself, and why I do it, is a mixture of the following.

- It can be kinky, and a great turn on in the bedroom. Role reversal with my gf is always fun and we both enjoy things like that. :)
- It can be a rush, simply being someone else and totally "disguised" is something most people would enjoy if they ever so desired to indulge in it.
- Liking what you see. The main reason a lot of CDers love to take pictures and videos is to capture the moment, and be able to see themselves differently and "in-character".
- For FtM CDers, they basically get a wardrobe upgrade as we all know females have a much more diverse selection of clothing available. That can be fun to play with also. (hence why I have more FEMALE clothing than I do MALE currently... lol)

For me it's not a transgendered thing, but moreso described as "for fun", and for my gf's and I's "amusement". Like a lot of hobbies it can be addictive and expensive at times, but to me it's just that, a hobby.

It doesn't hurt for guys to be in touch with their feminine side either I suppose. I don't feel inner thoughts of "I should have been born female", I feel like a male and enjoy being a guy. Maybe that means I have a female personality but was born in the right body still since I enjoy being a guy? Like if a female to male TG was born ALREADY in a male body? Is that a thing...? lol Maybe? I do know of a lot of GG females who act a lot like guys but still love their female bodies and embrace femininity, almost as if they were MtF TGs born in the right body? But that would just theoretically make them a female in a female body, correct? Maybe I'm missing something. haha :P

TLDR (Too Long, Didin't Read) Version:
My ultimate desire to CD is merely "Just 'cause." lol

Like any other hobby, it entertains me for one reason or another. :)

Stevie
02-25-2013, 09:05 PM
I too love the sensation I get when wearing women's clothes. After a long day at work it feels therapeutic to be somebody different.

Bree Wagner
02-25-2013, 11:58 PM
While I'm sure there's a whole host of deeper reasons to the question of why, the bottom line is just that it's truly enjoyable. I have a wonderful time dressing, going out, and meeting some amazing people. I tend to do the things I like to do!

There's a great lyric from They Might Be Giants in their song "Whistling in the Dark" that sums it up.

There's only one thing that I know how to do well
And I've often been told that you only can do
What you know how to do well
And that's be you,
Be what you're like,
Be like yourself,
And so I'm having a wonderful time (But I'd rather be whistling in the dark)

Just take out that last bit about whistling and it describes me and my relationship with crossdressing perfectly.

-Bree

Frédérique
02-26-2013, 12:36 PM
For me, it's both a desire to feel pretty and a desire to escape the "cards I've been dealt" and instead become something more. To experience life more fully! Oh! When I'm Betty, I feel almost magical!

That’s it for me – to experience life more fully by replacing the mundane with the magical. I’m glad I was dealt some “cards,” as you say, even though I had nothing to do with it. At times I almost feel like I’m an explorer on an alien world, and I was able to choose how I would dress. Rather than protect me from the harsh human environment, I chose to heighten my senses via femme clothing. I need this magic to live, along my lifelong quest, even though I find myself on a very twisted path towards an uncertain conclusion. Perhaps each moment, imbued with magic, is an end in itself, expressed with all the grace and charm I can muster...
:thinking:

Emogene
02-27-2013, 01:39 AM
To you all, simply, Thank You! This thread is simply wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing!

Camille15
02-27-2013, 02:18 AM
Because long before CD'ing had any sexual component (which it still does sometimes), before it gave me any relief from the stresses of life (because it is a great escape), and before I ever even saw myself as a pretty girl infront of the mirror (which fills me with a feeling of peace and serenity), I have wondered what it would be like to be a girl. This was from around age 5-6. So it's about more than just liking women's clothes. It's about a part of my brain that has been active since I was very young, but repressed, and has a natural desire to express itself and be free. It is a part that sees itself as female, and wants to see that physically manifested when looking at its reflection. This part of my brain is not *so* active in me, as it is with some people, so I don't feel the need to transition or CD full-time. But it still wants to be active and explored, and it won't be ignored. It's just the workings of the brain, and to deny it is like trying to deny any natural urge (to breathe, eat, or procreate). Instead, you have to accept it, and learn to love it and enjoy it as a part of who you are. I feel that it makes me a better person overall, and I feel lucky to be this way.

BTW Bree, loved the reference to whistling in the Dark. Love that song and TMBG.

Camille