PDA

View Full Version : "Detecting Crossdressers"

linda allen
02-25-2013, 05:01 PM
The other day, I was minding my own business, reading the latest issue of Yachting Magazine (a magazine featuring boats that most of us will never set foot on, much less own). They have a column on the "Cruising Yachtsman" and I noticed it was about Savannah, GA (USA). Since I have visited Savanna a few times myself, I settled down to read the article.

After the usual information on how the city was founded, how it is laid out in squares with little parks, the subject turned to the entertainment/tourist district on River Street which, as you might expect, is along the river. They often have fireworks, festivals, and concerts on river street and the park between the street and the river.

So I come to these lines describing the action in the park:

"......... visitors and locals listen to buskers blowing a mean saxophone, strumming a giddy banjo, or singing the blues. Some folks may spend time trying to detect crossdressers; others gaze at giant container ships gliding downriver, ........ "

Wait, did I read that right? Sure enough "Some folks may spend time trying to detect crossdressers !"

What am I missing here? In my times in Savannah and on River Street, I've never noticed a crossdresser. Am I blind? Is this area known for crossdressing and I somehow missed it? Is Savannah a big crossdressing city? Should I grab my bra and heels and head back down to Savannah?

What am I missing?

Angela Campbell
02-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Can you buy a crossdresser detector in the store or do they come in build them yourself kits?

mikiSJ
02-25-2013, 05:18 PM
They must have some really, really good CDers in town if it takes effort to "discover" them.

"Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" took place in Savannah and featured a local drag queen "The Lady Chablis". She was an act for many years in Savannah and her act was attended by all.

Megan70
02-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Can you buy a crossdresser detector in the store or do they come in build them yourself kits?
'some assembly required'.

2B Natasha
02-25-2013, 05:22 PM
There is a rather famous drag queen that performs there. " Lady Chablis ". That is why.

Wildaboutheels
02-25-2013, 05:27 PM
I don't think you are missing anything. I'm willing to bet the author of the articles either IS a CDer or has a SO who is one.

I'll also bet a years pay that if you were to make a list of 50 things one does "while out in public" and include CD busting in it, and give it to 1000 "normal" people, it might not even make the top 40 even once.

CD busting is mainly a hobby of CDers. And many here are not very good at it despite claims to the contrary. Claiming to "bust" someone by their voice [and nothing else] only proves they have not spent enough time in the RW where voices can be very misleading.

Lorileah
02-25-2013, 05:42 PM
And that my friends is why I wear a sign that says "why yes I am , thank you for asking". So far may record is 2 out of 505,667 in being detected.

ReluctantDebutant
02-25-2013, 05:47 PM
I just go around asking every woman I meet if they are a Crossdresser. I found out in my area there are very few crossdressers and that woman like to slap people in the face. :eek::heehee:

clearly more research is required.

Robbin_Sinclair
02-25-2013, 05:51 PM
"...strumming a giddy banjo?" How do banjos become giddy? My guess is that the author is in high school.

For me, the first way to bust a CD is to look for a bad wig.

Have we established Lady Chablis is an ongoing act or was once there?

"Midnight Garden of Good and Evil" was a great movie. Highly rentable...or downloadable...or whatever.

AmandaBlack
02-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Never knew it was a spectator sport...!

When bored and people watching (usually waiting on my wife while she shops or whatever...) I often will try and visualize who amongst the crowd would likely be a crossdresser. I reason that anyone doing the same at me...would never guess.

May(be)
02-25-2013, 06:00 PM
I just go around asking every woman I meet if they are a Crossdresser. I found out in my area there are very few crossdressers and that woman like to slap people in the face. :eek::heehee:

AHAhaha! It sounds safer just to assume all women are crossdressers.

Lorileah
02-25-2013, 06:04 PM

Now that is funny :lol:

Have we established Lady Chablis is an ongoing act or was once there?

Still there

stephNE
02-25-2013, 06:11 PM
You gals are soooooo funny!!! I just grabbed a change of (femme) clothing, and now I'm off to Savannah. I'll let you know what I find, or if they find me!

PaulaQ
02-25-2013, 06:27 PM
My son went to the art school there. He told me that there were, indeed a great many cross dressers, there. Most of the students are away from home for the first time, so they feel free to express themselves. He told me all kinds of stuff went on there, pride parades of various sorts, really awesome Halloween stuff - you name it.

S. Lisa Smith
02-25-2013, 06:38 PM
My son went to the art school there. He told me that there were, indeed a great many cross dressers, there. Most of the students are away from home for the first time, so they feel free to express themselves. He told me all kinds of stuff went on there, pride parades of various sorts, really awesome Halloween stuff - you name it.
Great art school!!

jenni_xx
02-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Linda, you read it right.

But it's just a throwaway comment. an arbitrary one that is intent on putting across to the reader just how abstract, different, and individualistic an experience in River Street can and will be for any tourist visiting. Or indeed it could well be just a reflection of the experience that the author of the article had at the time. Some people ended up ship-spotting, others noticed a solitary crossdresser walking down the street (which is something that, unlike ship-gazing, can happen anywhere).

I don't know River Street, Savannah, GA. No knowledge of the place whatsoever. I would however hazard a guess that it's home to just as many crossdressers as any other part of the world.

Sometimes, we just try to read too much into what are nothing but off-the-cuff remarks. Remakes which are not really meant to be taken seriously. I mean, I wonder if there is a ship-spotting website out there on the internet which is now asking the question - "Did I read that right - people gazing at ships down on River Street? What am I missing here?".

Jenni Yumiko
02-25-2013, 06:41 PM
I think I saw one at the As Seen on TV store. It was next to the Gaydar detector and the Spray on makeup mask

Michelle13
02-25-2013, 08:10 PM
My gf and I are guilty of calling out (quietly among ourselves, of course) other people whom we think are CDers and who are currently dressed. For example, guys(in drab) who have very well maintained, fem eyebrows and a nice figure. We like to point them out each other and assume they're CDers. lol Not in an insulting way, of course. More like a giddy "Teehee! I bet THEY do it too! :D" I wish there was a secret handshake or phrase that every CDer knew. haha

We also like to spot wigs, even on GGs, since we both love hair and wigs too. :P We're experts at this point.

Julogden
02-25-2013, 08:30 PM
I hear that the new digital detectors work way better than the old analog ones. ;)

Carol

Debglam
02-25-2013, 08:34 PM
I hear that the new digital detectors work way better than the old analog ones. ;)

Carol

True. You need to get one of the Transdar detectors with the CD Band adapter. Radio Shack has some good ones and one that gets Gaydar too. Could be handy. . .

S. Lisa Smith
02-25-2013, 08:38 PM
True. You need to get one of the Transdar detectors with the CD Band adapter. Radio Shack has some good ones and one that gets Gaydar too. Could be handy. . . When I was a child, I had a transistor radio, is it kind of the same thing? Wouldn't get gaydar though...

nhlighthouse
02-25-2013, 08:56 PM
I found an App for that!

bimini1
02-25-2013, 09:11 PM
May be that whoever wrote the article does not know what in the hell they are talking about?

CD_DIANE
02-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Batteries NOT included !

NV Susan
02-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Will the TSA let me carry a CD- detector thru airport security? :devil:

Angela Campbell
02-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Will the TSA let me carry a CD- detector thru airport security? :devil:

They have better ones than we do!

Rogina B
02-25-2013, 09:32 PM
In addition to Greater Atlanta,Savannah is an accepting "T" area of Georgia.Southeastern T Girls [of which I am a member] is homeported there.

Michelle M
02-25-2013, 09:39 PM
They have better ones than we do!

Not so sure about that.
I got Ma'amed by airport security yesterday, and I wasn't even dressed.
Maybe that says something about me...

BLUE ORCHID
02-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Hi Linda, Do you remember how Mick Dundee checked for Crossdressers in the movie Crocodile Dundee.

Eryn
02-25-2013, 09:58 PM

I had a CD detector once, but every time I turned it on it immediately started to alarm.

Angela Campbell
02-25-2013, 10:01 PM
Not so sure about that.
I got Ma'amed by airport security yesterday, and I wasn't even dressed.
Maybe that says something about me...
Theres your proof!

By the way....my pc has a cd burner....scares me a bit...

Luciana Vitale
02-25-2013, 10:08 PM
I found an App for that!

At Play Store and is free!!!!

PaulaQ
02-26-2013, 01:42 AM
You gals are soooooo funny!!! I just grabbed a change of (femme) clothing, and now I'm off to Savannah. I'll let you know what I find, or if they find me!

You'll like Savannah. It's really lovely and historic. If you don't mind spending a few bucks, the Olde Pink House has good food, and is a neat old place. (Historic mansion.) Belford's is also good. If you have limited funds, Vinnie van go go's is great for pizza. Paula Dean's place "The lady and sons" is there too - but I can't recommend it.

Hmmm, maybe this is why I have trouble with my figure... >.<

sorry for the offtopic post. Uh, I'm lead to understand that CD detection can really make a girl hungry! :O

Beverley Sims
02-26-2013, 05:51 AM
Copy writers are like that, they throw in all sorts of thing in for bait, when writing about attractions.
You just took the bait.

Kate Simmons
02-26-2013, 06:16 AM
Evidently you missed the "as seen on TV" ad about the handy dandy Crossdresser detection kit, just $19.95 plus S&H. You should never be without one when traveling. It helps you figure out just who is who and helps you to label people. But wait! If you order right now you can get two Crossdresser detection kits for only $19.95, that's two kits a $79.95 value. You just pay separate S&H. Order now!:)

Nikki50/50
02-26-2013, 07:39 AM
I found that the dead giveaway is the 'adjustment'.
The outright grab-and shift, or the 'stance' that heralds a trip
to the ladies room to set things in order.
Let's face it: it's inevitable,
even for the best tucks. Now matter how well applied, quickly
executed, or stealthily implemented, the adjustment will give it away
every time, and the 'stance' is virtually just as obvious, as I have
never once witnessed a true-born female stand in such a way,
which is not at all dissimilar to the way EVERY guy stands, when
the 'jewels' start to get a bit moist from sweat.
OTHERWISE... go with the "As-Seen-On-TV" kit as mentioned below. LOL

Robbin_Sinclair
02-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Ah, transistor radios. So small, they are no bigger than a pack of cigarettes. Check it against your pack of Lucky Strikes.

Now I'm going to tune in some giddy banjo from Savanna on short wave radio. Comes in real good this time of day.

Robbin_Sinclair
02-26-2013, 04:28 PM
You'll like Savannah. It's really lovely and historic. If you don't mind spending a few bucks, the Olde Pink House has good food, and is a neat old place. (Historic mansion.) Belford's is also good. If you have limited funds, Vinnie van go go's is great for pizza. Paula Dean's place "The lady and sons" is there too - but I can't recommend it.
:O Thanks for going off topic. Some Savannah information needed soon maybe.

Jenn A116
02-26-2013, 05:58 PM

My wife and I stopped for a couple of nights in Savannah in October on a drive to FL. Got to agree on the recommendation for the Olde Pink House! We are getting ready for another drive to FL next week and we've already planned on eating there again.

Also got to agree with the Paula Deen comment. My wife is from the south (but a different part of the south) and wouldn't go there.

linda allen
02-27-2013, 07:43 AM
The next time I go, I'm going to pay more attention to the people around me. Or maybe I'll be dressed myself and see how many magazine writers detect me! :heehee:

Rhonda Darling
02-27-2013, 08:05 AM
I found an old Heathkit CD-00h detector with a TG-W0wza1 sensor adapter. Got it working when I replaced the trollfast oscillator tube. It really works, detecting silicone, foam rubber, frozen peas, raw rice, nylon, synthetic nylon, crazy glue, spandex, and ill-fitting pumps. Damn thing broke and melted down when I foolishly stored it in my closet.

I think I got the last one.

Rhonda

stephNE
02-27-2013, 08:34 AM
It really works, detecting silicone, foam rubber, frozen peas, raw rice, nylon, synthetic nylon, crazy glue, spandex, and ill-fitting pumps.

... frozen peas?????????

CassandraSmith
02-27-2013, 01:03 PM
I'm OK with CD-detectors but I'm not sure about Trannychasers! Good thing I carry a knife ;-)

Bunny Boilers are right out.

Amanda22
02-27-2013, 02:28 PM

Reluctant, that is really hilarious. Thanks!

Allison Chaynes
02-27-2013, 03:02 PM
That show, Diggers, is filming an episode in Savannah. Their metal detectors are being recalibrated to find silicone. No word on how they determine market value on a CD though.

Krista1985
02-27-2013, 07:53 PM
"Some folks may spend time trying to detect crossdressers !"

Like an Easter Egg hunt where we play the eggs! If it appeared in a Yachting magazine, their demographic is usually the super wealthy. So that has me thinking, and maybe CD spotting is the latest fad amongst the super-rich. It's what billionaires do on the weekends. I can almost hear Bill Gates sitting on a park bench with the Koch brothers saying, "There's one! You know, it's true what they say, the best things in life really are free."

Sorry to be droll, but another thing I am wondering is, "what happens after the detection occurs?" Does the party who made the discovery pull some sort of alarm, or blow a whistle? Does the mayor form a pitch fork wielding, torch bearing mob to give pursuit ala Frankenstein? Fire BAD.

Maybe it's like an offbeat local pass-time, and they lavish gifts and praise upon the detected CD? Or ask for an autograph and invite them to dinner? Perhaps buy them a beer? Strange that sentence should occur in any publication. Makes ya wonder :heehee:

linda allen
02-28-2013, 07:19 AM
That show, Diggers, is filming an episode in Savannah. Their metal detectors are being recalibrated to find silicone. No word on how they determine market value on a CD though.

Metal detecting used to be one of my main hobbies. That show is so fake I can hardly watch it. They never find bottle caps or pop tops.

My guess is, they dig a hole, stop the camera, put a coin or whatever in the hole, then start the camera again.

And I've never run around in circles or done somersaults when I find something. I just put it in my pouch and kep on looking for more.

Carol A
02-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Well I go out all the time wearing heels and a nice dress stand in line with everyone else to be checked out, no one seems to care one way or the other. People have thier own problems to worry about and besides why cause a seen in Wal-Mart.

Marie-Elise
02-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Why, CD spotting is a growing activity in the South East US. I have personally seen my life list jump by 30% since moving to Atlanta. And I have not even attended the big Southern comfort thing here yet.

IngeInCO
02-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Crossdresser spotting... The new tourist attraction!

Krististeph
02-28-2013, 09:29 AM
This reminds me of the dilbert cartoon where dogbert tells dilbert the has invented a device that detects stupidity in people, (it goes something to the effect of:) he (Dogbert) just points it at a person, and presses a button.

"Then what?" asks dilbert...

"What else does it _need_ to do?"

Scott Adams has wonderfully wry wit. I'll never forget the day my boss did something that exactly mimicked what the pointy haired boss did for that day on cartoon-a day dilbert calender. I tore off the cartoon, taped to his office door.

The next week, i mentioned something about it, "that was you who put that on my door?"

"Ummm.. yeah."

"I was wondering who would fess up to that..."

"Ahhhhh... Frank, um... I figured you might know, given that my dilbert calendar is right on my desk and you see it as you walk into your office..."

<blank stare> He was perhaps one of the worst bosses i had. A decent guy, for the most part, though, as long as you do not work for or with him.

Anyway, this whole thing was the premise of one of my gay friend's 'closet homo' detectors- it was a stick. He just pointed it at any guy, pretended to read sime kind of display, and said: "Yep, repressed homo, closet homo, etc.."

KellyM
02-28-2013, 10:24 AM
AHAhaha! It sounds safer just to assume all women are crossdressers.

They ARE all crossdressers. You see them all the time wearing blue jeans, T shirts, tennis shoes, boy cut underwear, . . .

Robbin_Sinclair
03-09-2013, 05:52 PM
[QUOTE=Krista1985;3126737]"Some folks may spend time trying to detect crossdressers !"

".......what happens after the detection occurs?" Does the party who made the discovery pull some sort of alarm, or blow a whistle?...."

These are well to do Yachting people. They put us in the CD identification log. It's like bird watching, aka, being a "birder."

"Osborn, I see one. On the end of the dock! It's a Red Bad Wig." Then, this information is logged into their official book. At the TRACKERS meeting, they debate whether that Red Bad Wig may have been a Red Top 40D Off Center.

Angela Campbell
03-09-2013, 06:25 PM
I don't know about you, but I enjoy giving the detectors something to detect.

harmony
03-10-2013, 01:00 AM
spent a couple of weeks in savannah traveling in my rv last year.my vehicle is small enough to fit in a parking spot which gave me a perfect vantage point for cd spotting as i was in a pay lot right on the river for the whole time.the yield was very dissapointing to say the least-zero goose egg nada not a one!!i got spotted though myself!i refused to give a black pan handler on waterstreet any money so he called me{an austrian)a alabama cracker-cracked me up!loved savannah though-one of my fav places-so southern genteel!!