PDA

View Full Version : Wearing a skirt in February??

JenniferMBlack
02-27-2013, 02:30 PM
So today is pretty nice weather wise in low to mid 50s. Since I had some errands to run and it is pretty nice out I put on a nice knee length skirt and put on some high helled boots and head out the door, Take care of what I need to and stop at the mall for some window shopping. I got the usual double looks and mumbles as poeple pass by a man wearing a skirt no big deal. Then this early twenty something girl says really loud " why are you wearing a skirt are you crazy"? To which I reply why not? She then says it's February are you stupid? Now I am not one to care what others think, But to get that Question because it's Febuary and not because I am a guy. Also I did get a coment on how cute my boots are from a sale lady.

StaceyJane
02-27-2013, 02:33 PM
Come to Texas wear February is a pretty good time to wear a skirt.

UNDERDRESSER
02-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Ha! I've seen girls wearing skirts all this week, and it ain't been no 50F! Try 25F!

Erica Marie
02-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Come to WI and your skirt wont seems so appropriate. Over night we got a foot of snow and its in the low 30's. I guess there is a time and place for everything.

Jenniferathome
02-27-2013, 03:49 PM
How many women did you see in skirts while out? Did they have leggings or tights and boots on? If you are the odd duck, fashion-wise, it will always call attention.

StephanieDragg
02-27-2013, 04:00 PM
call me crazy too! I don't care how cold it is (Michigan)

Barbara Maria
02-27-2013, 04:21 PM
I'm originally from WI,but now live in Austin,TX. Here you can wear shorts and skirts year round.

DeeArel
02-27-2013, 04:28 PM
In my world, it is always good weather to wear a skirt. If not, then definitely a dress

Ericaxd
02-27-2013, 04:30 PM
Ha! I think it's hilarious that she was commenting on whether the skirt was appropriate. And skirt with boots is very chic.

sandra-leigh
02-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Low to mid 50's... that would be 10C to 12C or so. I assure you that if it were 10C here in February, you would be seeing people in shorts!

It was about high 20's F here today (about -3C). I was certainly not the only one out at the mall in a skirt. Most of the young women wore only regular black tights (opaque) as their bottoms.

Vickie_CDTV
02-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Perhaps someone should ask this 20-something girl why she has to be so vulgar and rude!

As for wearing a skirt, why not? People's tolerances to temperature varies greatly, I can wear a skirt (with hosiery) when it is 20 degrees out easy. If you can tolerate the cold in a skirt and she can't, tough on her.

CynthiaD
02-27-2013, 05:13 PM
When it's 50F in Texas we curse the cold and wear six layers of clothing.

I never wear skirts when it's cold. I have some nice embroidered jeans that are ultra feminine and WARM.

I Am Paula
02-27-2013, 05:20 PM
Crazy winter we're having here in Ontario. Yesterday I wore a skirt at the mall (mid 40's), today I spent two hours with my brand new snow blower. (Been meaning to buy one for years). -Celeste
Leaving for Texas in three days...woohoo!

sandra-leigh
02-27-2013, 05:25 PM
People's tolerances to temperature varies greatly, I can wear a skirt (with hosiery) when it is 20 degrees out easy.

If there isn't a bitter wind blowing at ground level and up the skirt, a skirt (with tights) can be as warm (sometimes warmer) than regular jeans, down into the -20's F.

Reminds me of one windy overcast day back in November here, temperature was about 12C (55F). I was out downtown wearing 1/4 sleeve dress, waiting to walk across a busy intersection. A woman spoke and asked something like why I was wearing that dress; she was distant enough that I could pretend she wasn't speaking to me. She moved a bit closer and asked, "Aren't you cold??" It was, taken at face value, a fair enough question, in that everyone else around was wearing long sleeves and jackets or polar fleeces, and the day wasn't a nice one and the wind was not being kind. But I thought for a few seconds and replied back to her honestly, "No, not really." Because what I was feeling was that the weather was more "fresh" than cold, and I did not even have any goose-bumps.

I often work (at home) into the early hours of the morning wearing a short-sleeved top or a regular-weight nightgown; I programmed the furnace to allow lower temperatures at night. Eventually I get into bed and my wife says that I'm freezing. And she is right, my hands are cold. But I don't notice -- not until I get into bed, and then I feel cold.

JaniceP
02-27-2013, 05:36 PM
I sort of enjoy wearing a skirt in cold weather, I love the cold wind carressing my nylon covered legs and blowing up my skirt, helping me feel the tightness and warm feeling ofwearing my girdle.

Maria S
02-27-2013, 05:53 PM
I'm guessing it's colder in parts of the USA than UK at present. During the day we've been down to -2c which I guess is about 28f. I wear skirts all the year round. Cold? That's what thick tights, boots and padded coats were made for.

Maria

JenniferMBlack
02-27-2013, 06:10 PM
I just thought it diffrent she said it's Febuary not your a guy. I did see a few girls wearing skirts all had leggins or tights, But I wasnt cold. I work in a warehouse box store where everyone says it is cold all the time and i'm not until I go outside in the 30 degree weather we have been having. Yesterday was 30 to 34 with freezing rain I went out in a long skirt but wouldn't do that in a short one, to cold for me. No coments yesterday only the odd stare and double takes.

susangirl
02-27-2013, 09:29 PM
I enjoy skirts in any weather :)much more than dresses. I have long ones, knee length ones, and mid thigh ones for the right occasions. Not much gets me more turned on than my legs in stocking with 4 or 5 inch heels. I hate to cover them up. I love to watch men looking at my legs as a walk by.

RADER
02-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Come to WI and your skirt wont seems so appropriate. Over night we got a foot of snow and its in the low 30's. I guess there is a time and place for everything.

Yes; Me to in Illinois. 30 degrees ant 14" of that horrible white stuff.
Rader

Fran Moore
02-27-2013, 11:46 PM
People, men and women, will always be judgemental based on visual observances. Some will think we are too fat, too skinny, too tall, too short, overdressed, underdressed, gay, stupid, crazy, etc. etc. etc. The important thing, for each and every one of us, is to just be who you are, and do what makes you happy. If you want to wear a wedding dress in a snow storm, riding a unicycle, than do it. Life is short, we will all be dead soon enough, including those who would pass judgement and think that they have it "right".

Peace.

Diane Smith
02-28-2013, 12:26 AM
True storry: I had a male acquaintance, not a CD as far as I know, who wore shorts year round. We belonged to a group that did an outdoor activity together twice a month and he would always come with bare legs even when it was below zero and with a foot of snow on the ground.

He stopped showing up for our outings and after awhile somebody got worried and emailed him. He had moved to Florida because, as he said, "Illinois is too cold!" Duh! :)

- Diane

AmyGaleRT
02-28-2013, 01:52 AM
I see a few ladies wearing skirts even in the recent cold weather around here. Of course, they're usually wearing tights or leggings and boots along with them. I've been trying to duplicate this look with my own wardrobe, and, in the process, come to appreciate the feel of a good pair of boots!

- Amy

Eryn
02-28-2013, 02:06 AM
Wore a skirt for an outing this evening.

As the real estate agents say "Location, Location, Location! :)

Jennifer Kelly
02-28-2013, 02:31 AM
Not that I ever leave the house dressed (someday I will), but it was 70F here in sunny SoCal today, so nothing wrong with skirts in February IMO. :)

PattiAllison
02-28-2013, 03:06 AM
Given the chance to wear a skirt, I am not going to let a little cold weather stop me. Tights and boots will keep my legs plenty warm.

reshma
02-28-2013, 03:58 AM
at home, i wear the skirt.. lol ! yeah, i love wearing skirts too, regardless of any time of the year. In South India, its mostly humid and hot all year around.

Beverley Sims
02-28-2013, 04:03 AM
If you present as a man, maybe she is selectively blind.
If I lived in Chicago I wouldn't wear a skirt in February either.

Diversity
02-28-2013, 04:05 AM
Well you are not alone. It's the last day of February for this year and I just went into the other room and changed out of my shorts and put on a blue denim skirt!
My wife doesn't want to see or know, so I told her that I will see her in an hour, but that I needed some time for myself. This is a compromise we made at my wife's suggestion! Things are getting better, albeit slowly, but better just the same. We have a great relationship, and since I came out of the closet, we have spoken often and are working through this.
So I say to you, "Gosh WBDavid! Skirts in February, indeed! What's next? Skirts in March"? :)
Enjoy!
Di

erickka
02-28-2013, 06:31 AM
I'm in Tn. and wear skirts and knee high boots frequently in the winter. In Nashville, it is NOT an uncommon sight.

BillieJoEllen
02-28-2013, 11:26 AM
I grew up in a time when most women never wore pants outside the home. It was always skirts and dresses no matter the weather. Minus twenty degrees? Skirt or dress. Always. Times have changed but not necessarily for the best.

Maria S
02-28-2013, 11:41 AM
I grew up in a time when most women never wore pants outside the home. It was always skirts and dresses no matter the weather. Minus twenty degrees? Skirt or dress. Always. Times have changed but not necessarily for the best.

What's happened to skirts? I walk around clothes shops and some do not even have skirts at all and those that do only have petite sizes yet you see SOME women wearing skirts. I feel like going up to them and saying "Hello love, where did you get your skirt?"

Maria

cathie pantyhose
02-28-2013, 01:03 PM
I wear skirts all year long here in Boulder Colorado too all year. We have fun winter weather though. One day it can be 20 and snow, next day mid 50's and sunny. With minimal humidity the mid 50's can feel like mid 70's so skirts and above the knee dresses are very comfortable. I don't leave the house though other than the back yard so yea I would expect others to be surprised at a skirt in winter and bare legs than just a guy in a skirt.

IngeInCO
02-28-2013, 01:07 PM
I wear skirts all year long here in Boulder Colorado too all year. We have fun winter weather though. One day it can be 20 and snow, next day mid 50's and sunny. With minimal humidity the mid 50's can feel like mid 70's so skirts and above the knee dresses are very comfortable. I don't leave the house though other than the back yard so yea I would expect others to be surprised at a skirt in winter and bare legs than just a guy in a skirt.

So true! And I have seen a few guys in skirts in Boulder! You would fit in!

Angela Campbell
02-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Ha! I think it's hilarious that she was commenting on whether the skirt was appropriate. And skirt with boots is very chic.

Commenting on whether the skirt was appropriate while using language which is not. What happened to manners?

cathie pantyhose
02-28-2013, 02:04 PM
So true! And I have seen a few guys in skirts in Boulder! You would fit in!

and we're not counting kilts.....

Lorileah
02-28-2013, 04:39 PM
C'mon Colorado girls! This is the land of shorts and a down coat, with flip flops and a knit cap. I won't go out unless I can look good in a dress or skirt. If I need to bundle up, I stay home. (still can't wait for summer though so the hemline can rise)

Angela Campbell
02-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Luckily here in Florida skirts are good anytime. The rude people are around anytime also....unfortunately

Asche
02-28-2013, 08:00 PM
Since I wear skirts pretty much all the time (except at work), I'm wearing them in February, too. If I'm feeling chilly (which has more to do with where my metabolism is at the moment), I wear tights, an ankle-length (lined) denim jumper, and as many petticoats as I need. If I'm feeling hot (e.g., from shoveling snow), a T-shirt, above the knee skirt, and maybe knee socks. Of course, it hasn't gotten particularly cold this winter, I think the coldest was around 10F (around -10 C.) Right now, it's about 50F (+10C) outside.

And I'm not the only winter skirt-wearer. When I take the train, there are always some women wearing skirts. Even in the coldest weather, out of the 100 or so people I see at my station, I'm assured of seeing at least one or two in a skirt, sometimes with bare legs. And my station is right on the river, where you can get some nice strong icy winds.

Terri Andrews
02-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Good for you for expressing who you are and not caring what rude people think .
I am out a lot and usually wear skirts ,hot or cold

Eryn
02-28-2013, 11:04 PM

They also had long warm coats to wear over those skirts and dresses!

What's happened to skirts? I walk around clothes shops and some do not even have skirts at all and those that do only have petite sizes yet you see SOME women wearing skirts. I feel like going up to them and saying "Hello love, where did you get your skirt?"

I don't really see that. Mimi and I were out shopping the other day and saw plenty of skirts and dresses. Long, short, brights, florals, there's no end to the variety. I love it!

Beverley Sims
03-02-2013, 12:04 PM
I don't really see that. Mimi and I were out shopping the other day and saw plenty of skirts and dresses. Long, short, brights, florals, there's no end to the variety. I love it!

Eryn, Do you live in Southern California or South Carolina.?
I thought it was eternal summer down there with occasional snow falls.

Stephanie47
03-02-2013, 12:20 PM
I don't own a single pair of femme pants. So, what should I wear in any month other than a dress? I will admit it does not get as cold in Washington State as the rest of the world, but, that cool breeze caressing my legs is a part of the thrill. Of course my wife hated wearing a dress in freezing temperatures when we lived back east. If the temperature was in the 50's I think that is warm enough for a skirt or dress.

joank
03-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Southern California. I don't have to say more.

NV Susan
03-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Funny a 20 something girl would comment on the time of year, but not about a guy in a skirt. All I can say....you go girl....wear your skirts proudly ANY time of year!!

BLUE ORCHID
03-02-2013, 06:51 PM
Hi David , You do know that you just can't fix stupid.

JamieQ
03-02-2013, 09:39 PM
It really does not matter much here in New Albany/Louisvile no matter what the weather is. I just seen a 20 something girl in a big jacket, scarf, miniskirt with tights and boots and its like 30 degrees. Like others I do not even own girl pants, just skirts and nothing longer than mid knee. A few weeks ago I seen a woman in Walmart in shorts and no hose or tights and it was way colder than 30.

socalcutie
03-02-2013, 10:30 PM
As a man I wear flipflops in winter in the rain and snow. I see no reason not to wear a nice long skirt in February as long as you're not cold. Here in so cal the worst of the rain is a light sprinkle, it's always skirt weather. Half the girls at school are wearing mini-skirts over pantyhoes every day. Come to cali, you'll fit right in!

Rachel Morley
03-02-2013, 11:11 PM
I wear cargo skirts with thick black tights and calf length boots in winter. For skirts and pantyhose ... well where I live live (Sacramento valley) it's not that cold in February.

NathalieX66
03-02-2013, 11:24 PM
I don't have a lot of skirts. I do have a lot of dresses, though. Hmm, I don't really know why that is.

Last weekend, I took the train from New Jersey to NYC, and bopped around Manhattan last week wearing a sheer floral black dress (from H&M), and riding boots , but the catch here is I wore a black tank top and black leggings underneath. The day was cold and blustery. The fun part is I went shopping, got a nice pedicure on 14th St., and stopped into a really neat hamburger joint.

Wednesday a couple of days ago, I wore the same ensemble in the city , but this time it was a red dress where the hem is longer in the back than the front. I met up with friends for dinner, then we went to a rock concert.

KarenS
03-03-2013, 01:04 AM
Karen wears skirts or dresses regardless of the time of year. The only thing close to PANTs that Karen owns are PANTIES. Yes, those I do wear a lot. Even with dresses and skirts. Never commando.

JenniferMBlack
03-03-2013, 09:38 AM
I do miss the weather in So Cal. Would love to go back , But my wifes family is here in Maryland and I don't really get along with mine. Not cd related. So we are here in Md. Yes the weather sucks in winter but we do get the occasional good day, Plus you can also wear tights so still able to get out. Or just wear a long skirt like I did the day before when it was 34 and freezing rain. I was just caught off gaurd by the Febuary reason so I thought I would share. Lack of respect and manners dose not suprise me since I see it everyday.

Deborah Kaye
03-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Yes, twice in February--20s to 30s both times. Had to get out of the house. Mall visits both times, quick run from the parking lot to the mall. Not a problem.

JohnH
03-03-2013, 06:17 PM
This old geezer man (myself) wears skirts publicly only when the weather is warm (above 22 deg C/72 deg F). When it is cold I wear men's pants. Around the house I do wear dresses. But when the weather is hot, I wear denim skirts along with my painted toenails and sandals instead of shorts.

John

Daryl
03-03-2013, 07:02 PM
I got on my denim mini right now with a red top. Also barely there thigh highs and 3" navy heels.

Jennifer Kelly
03-03-2013, 10:10 PM
I'm wearing a black knee length skirt right now with a floral print top and 3" heels. But I'm also inside my house. :)

JamieQ
03-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Well I dressed in a mid knee high denim skirt and went out today in the cold. It was rainy and windy. I knew it would be cold so I put on a pr of nylons before putting on the tights. It was about mid 30 F and other than the wind beating down the rain I was okey. I then stopped at a historical site and changed into an even shorter one. My goal was to walk the park and then stop at an indoor flea market on the way home. I thought the umbrella was going to break so I left and off to the flea market. Dang they just closed up due to weather and I cannot dress again and get out until next week. I have not seen many in skirts lately.

Beverley Sims
03-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Karen wears skirts or dresses regardless of the time of year. The only thing close to PANTs that Karen owns are PANTIES. Yes, those I do wear a lot. Even with dresses and skirts. Never commando.

Sounds like if your name is Karen, then you don't wear jeans. There is another one like that on these forums.
Another lovely lady also in the no jeans club.

PollyOrion
03-05-2013, 07:55 PM
My first post here!

And a picture of me in February. Given my deep love for denim minis, I believe winter is a perfect time to match a sweater and cowboy boots to a skirt. This is one of my favorite casual outfits for winter.

JamieQ
03-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Lookin good! That combo is real common around here. I thougt it was a FFA jacket.:)

My first post here!

And a picture of me in February. Given my deep love for denim minis, I believe winter is a perfect time to match a sweater and cowboy boots to a skirt. This is one of my favorite casual outfits for winter.

HannahF6
03-06-2013, 12:29 AM
Well, I live in Canada. True it is the west coast, Vancouver Island no less, the "wet coast" of Canada. I was outside today in a skirt and it felt great, there were lots of real girls out there too in skirts. It was just fine, the temperature was about 12°C, no idea what that is in American.

Hannah

JenniferMBlack
03-06-2013, 10:48 AM
I have'nt got out since yet with work and all. But now it is March so I am wondering if it is ok to wear a skirt or do I need to wait until April?

Stephanie47
03-06-2013, 12:50 PM
David, what's the weather forecast for Maryland today? I'm watching the Today Show and the snow is piling up in Virginia and DC. Nothing like putting on a pair of knee high boots, tights and a mid calf skirt and shoveling that snow. If you wait to April, you may miss that thrill. :)

Faye56
03-06-2013, 12:58 PM
I have worn a skirt for the past 3 days with opaque tights and all but one of the 8 women in the office have been wearing skirts with opaque tights this week . It is personal choice , because isn't that partly what we are about , the freedom to be who we feel we are and not who others think we should be .

JenniferMBlack
03-06-2013, 11:48 PM
David, what's the weather forecast for Maryland today? I'm watching the Today Show and the snow is piling up in Virginia and DC. Nothing like putting on a pair of knee high boots, tights and a mid calf skirt and shoveling that snow. If you wait to April, you may miss that thrill. :)

It snowed not a whole lot though.Fortunately no shoveling for me. I have shoveled snow in a skirt and knee high boots before though. I don't miss it I just sit inside in a skirt and boots now.