PDA

View Full Version : My dad stops in.....

Jessica86
02-27-2013, 09:34 PM
I am sitting in my home today. Since I was a child, I can not tell you one time where my father told me he wanted to hang out with me and talk. That's exactly what happened today.

I got the call around five today. My dad asked if I was home, and said he was sitting outside. I went out to see his truck, and already....I was wondering why he was here. My father knows about my crossdressing side, and has NOT seen me dressed before. My dad reaches in the truck and takes a six pack of Shiner out. "Wanted to have a beer with my son." In 26 years of being alive.....I have never shared a beer with my dad. He is a to himself kind of guy. Very strict. Very hard working. He is the perfect example of you get what you work for.

We started talking about work, and he told me he saw me today. I passed him in traffic. I am a motorcycle officer. He told me "When I saw you on that bike, I thought of everything you do. You have to have a hard time with....everything you deal with. I saw how good that bike looked all polished up, and saw you looked happy. I'm proud of you."

We talked for a while and he asked if I had been "out" lately. LOL. It's good to joke about it. After a while, I showed him a few videos I had of stuff I have done on the bikes. After all these years, this has never happened to me. My father has never....and I mean never....just showed up to drink a beer with me. Even after I told him about Jessica, I figured I would never talk to him again.

He told me he knows I have a lot of things on my plate I deal with. He said at anytime, he's happy to talk about anything. He said "any" thing. Long any. I told him I was fine, and he said he thought it was great that I embrace myself, and do what I do. That's really all that was said about it, but I knew the underlying message he was implying. My father is a great man, and the support he has provided me through my career....has been extraordinary. I never thought my dad would be the kind to support me after finding out about my true self. Now, he just left....just now....and told me he wants to do this again. Next time I'm buyin' though. It's crazy. When his truck drove off, I seriously couldn't help but watch until it was totally out of sight. What a day it was. You never know who supports you after you give them time to think about what you told them.

Fran Moore
02-27-2013, 09:56 PM
That's a very nice post Jessica, and I'm so glad your father reached out to you like that. Now excuse me I have to go find some tissue, I think I have something in my eye........

Hugs to you,

Suzanne

SarahMarie42
02-27-2013, 09:57 PM
This really is fantastic news, Jessica! I'm very happy for you. :]

Lady Catherine
02-27-2013, 09:57 PM
I am very happy for you. My Dad (step) only told me once in my entire life that he was proud of me. The day he died. Please enjoy this time you get to share with him every chance you get. Peace.

Suzi Q
02-27-2013, 10:01 PM
That was Wonderful! You are lucky to have someone in your life like that. Thanks for sharing.

michelle2020cd
02-27-2013, 10:02 PM
oh WOW, I am so happy for you, keep every moment of today close to your heart, Just remember it goes both ways, time for you to reach out to your Dad

nhlighthouse
02-27-2013, 10:03 PM
You are very fortunite to have Father who came right out and told you that he's Proud of you!...It took a lot of courage for him to do that and it just goes to show that you have that same courage to come out as you have done! next time you see or talk to your Dad don't forget to say You love him and hug him while you are still able to that....cause when he gone you will never be able to hug him. I know what I am talking about cause I was holding my Dad's hand when he past away at 200am
Enbrace you Dad and family. Peace and love to you Jessica!

S. Lisa Smith
02-27-2013, 10:10 PM
This is so wonderful!!! Congrats!!!!

PaulaQ
02-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Your Dad is obviously a good man, Jessica. I'm glad you and he can be close. That is a priceless treasure.

kimdl93
02-27-2013, 10:39 PM
That is one of the nicest things that a father can do. I bet there were hundreds of times he tried to tell you how much he loved you, but couldn't find the right words. Today he did. And it's not too unusual for sons and fathers to grow closer, particularly after we've grown out of those rebellious teenage years and begun to lead independent lives. I hope you can get together with your dad again soon and often.

AllieSF
02-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Wow, Jessica, that is a tear jerking story in a wonderful way. I truly am so happy that you had this moment and hopefully will have many more. Being an old and rapidly aging father too, I sometimes wonder about all those lost opportunities to have been a better Dad to my son and daughter by thinking less about my happiness and more about their's. Your father is a great man and Dad because he did this on his own without your somehow trying to make it happen. To me that is what makes it even more beautiful. You have every right to feel wonderful right now. Enjoy it, because I am enjoying it too and have not met either of you. Thank you so much for sharing, this has made my day and it is the evening right now here.

Stevie
02-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Great dad thanks for sharing. It is good to have someone to talk to.

Jenniferathome
02-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Nice story. I hope you told him how much you appreciated the gesture. He clearly had an epiphany of some sort. Please don't let this go unrecognized. I have always been close with my kids but now they are grown up, it's different and I miss that closeness.

Amie Marie
02-27-2013, 11:20 PM
That was such a wonderful story. I am so happy for you and hope it gets better and better.

Aylineira
02-27-2013, 11:24 PM
I'm so tearing up :*)

CarolynO
02-27-2013, 11:26 PM
My father is the opposite.He never calls even at holidays.I left a message on his answ. machine to call me back,sent him a card...never replied.A disconnect that can't be repaired.

Leah Lynn
02-27-2013, 11:31 PM
Fantastic father you have there. Mine never knew about this side of me. And I don't recall him ever saying he was proud of me. Enoy your time together.

Leah

Bree Wagner
02-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Jessica,

That's truly an amazing story and I'm incredibly happy for you. It's amazing how much the little things a parent does can mean so much to us and how much an "I'm proud of you" can mean. It's also a great lesson on how to be a good parent!

I just got to spend the last three days skiing with my dad, and even though I tend to leave him behind by early afternoon, since he's ready to call it a day quite a bit before I am, it's nice just to spend some time with him. We don't really do what you just did and talk on a deep level, but I know he'd do anything for me if I ever asked.

Buy him that round soon!

-Bree

Ceri Anne
02-27-2013, 11:42 PM
Thanks for sharing. From the sound of it, he proably had a cold dad too, and never knew he was supposed to express him self to family. My dad could never let an imperfection show to us kids.........we saw them, but he couldnt acknowledge it. Anyway, sounds like your dad has had time to digest things, and see you still being productive in society and has finially seen the light. I'm so happy for you and wish you many more beers with dad.

Lady Panda
02-28-2013, 12:09 AM
How wonderful for you Jessica!!!!

I have yet to have a conversation in which my Dad tells me that he is proud of me yet.....I am the family problem child ...to set in my different point of views for my parents to truely understand me. Ah one day ......

Their nickname for me from them "Something Else"

Hope there are many more days like that for you ....

katlee
02-28-2013, 12:14 AM
That is a great story! I am so happy for you that you are able to get to have a great conversation with your dad like that. I am amazed that you were able to share that you CD with him. That already is a good sign that you have a good relationship. I know that this must feel like a great boast to how you feel :).

Sallee
02-28-2013, 12:19 AM
great happening for you. Enjoy your Dad has much as you can.

lingerieLiz
02-28-2013, 12:27 AM
A great story and a reminder to tell your sons and daughters how proud you are of them.

Kalista Jameson
02-28-2013, 12:52 AM
Great story, Jessica.

I am really happy for you that you had this time with your dad. There's nothing like a son having his father's love, respect and support. Hope you both have many more good times.

Cheers,

Kalista

Kelley
02-28-2013, 05:40 AM
That was truly a nice story. I'm pushing 60 with a grown child and maybe I understand what your father is going through. You work hard all your life to raise a family and finally the kids are out of the house. then one day you see something and you realize that you just didn't have the time to really be there for your children. A real cats in the cradle moment. This just goes to show it is never too late.

Hugs Kelley

kittypw GG
02-28-2013, 05:53 AM
Such a special moment. I hope you and your father can make many more memories of your times together. Parents are not perfect but one thing is for sure...we love our children!!!

Beverley Sims
02-28-2013, 06:45 AM
There is a time where fathers realise they have missed "something".

stephNE
02-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Hi Jessica, I think you are very lucky to have had that moment with your dad. I hope you remember it forever. My mom and dad never wanted to spend even one minute with me. They didn't want children, and told me so many times. S.

daarleane
02-28-2013, 08:53 AM
Great Dad, wonderful story. also note that your Dad has good taste in beer. My favorite brand.

BLUE ORCHID
02-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Hi Jess, Take time to enjoy your parents while you have them once they are gone it's too late.

Lacyfem
02-28-2013, 09:51 AM
He was basically saying how much he loved you as you are and not who he may have wanted you to be. That's a good man and a better father. Hope I am that to my kids except I'm the cd'r.

linda allen
02-28-2013, 10:00 AM
About thirty years ago, for some unknown reason, I decided to stop by my parent's house on the way home from work. It's not something I would normally do. My mother wasn't home, but I had a nice long visit with my father (nothing about crossdressing, just normal stuff).

A few days later he had a stroke, never regained conciousness, and eventually passed away. I've always wondered what made me stop by that day.

StephanieDragg
02-28-2013, 11:21 AM
Thank you for sharing that wonderful story, I enjoyed sharing a few beers with my dad (who has since passed), on occasion but it was always family stuff work, etc that we discussed. My parents may have had a clue about this when I was younger but since I got married they probably figured it was a phase I was going through, but I couldn't imagine him accepting what I do and talking to me like that about it. Your story touched me , Thank you again!

JamieG
02-28-2013, 12:43 PM
This story just makes me smile. Thank you for sharing!

Paulette
02-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Covet the moment and be sure to follow up on it with more of the same. I lost my dad when I was in me forties and not once did he ever say he was proud of me. Now do not get me wrong he told many others he was , he just never said it to me. If anyone and asked me if my dad knew what I did for a living I would have told them he did not know as he never discussed my work with me. I found out that all of his friends had been told in great detail about my work and how proud he was of me. This was a teachable moment as they say because I have always made sure to tell my children and grand children how proud I am of them. I do not want them to have to wait until I die to know that my heart swells with pride with their accomplishments not matter how small or large.

Georgie
02-28-2013, 02:03 PM
what a great and wonderful story :D

So happy for you :)

x

Emogene
02-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Thank you for sharing!

Your visit with your father has made my day and perhaps more importantly reminds me to perhaps be a better father myself today!

It is so very nice that we can allow ourselves to feel and share the joys and sorrows of one another in this forum. The joys are greater and the burdens lessened when shared.

Emo

Jen60
02-28-2013, 05:50 PM
My dad passed away 26 years ago, and I still miss sharing a Molson with him after working all morning...thank God, I have my own kids to spend quality time with. I'm glad your father opened up to you and that you had this time with him!

BethCD
02-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Jessica, Thanks for sharing your fantastic experience.My dad and I did not have a great relationship but as I grew older and married, he started to open up to me about how proud he was of me, no knowledge of the CD. Your post makes me realize that I need to reach out to my adult son more. Thanks and God bless you, Beth

Emjay
02-28-2013, 07:58 PM
As Purple said: To Infinity.... and Beyond! :)

That's really awesome Jessica! Moments like these are the ones we come to treasure for the rest of our lives. Savor the moment and build upon it and enjoy!

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go find a tissue, hug my daughter, and then call my Dad.....

Sporco
02-28-2013, 08:05 PM
That's the way dads are supposed to be... congrats - you got a good one!

Barbara Ella
02-28-2013, 08:21 PM
I feel so good right now Jessica, thanks for sharing this moment. Just don't wait very long at all to reciprocate, and make sure that Shiner is super cold for him. So very happy for you and your Dad.

Barbara

Anne2345
02-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Wow, Jessica! What a heart warming, stirring, and quite touching story you have told!! Your father is a very good man! Treasure your relationship with him!! Awwwww! Now you've gone and done it!! I'm all tearing up as I type!! :-)

Janie {3
02-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanks for sharing this story. It really made my day. Hope you have many more good times with your Dad.

Barbara Maria
02-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Jessica,what a wonderful day. There's no feeling in the world like hearing your dad say he's proud of you. My dad is strictly old school,and the only time the words "I love you" have been spoken were when we thought one of us was going to die. But we show each other in so many other way. Yours sounds like a really good man. Spend all the time you can with him. You'll be glad you did. Barbara.

mmarmstrong
02-28-2013, 09:41 PM
I feel very proud of your dad - for whatever reason he found the strength/courage to take the tough first step to overcome that barrier that time only makes bigger as the years pass. Perhaps this is the start of a new kind of relationship you can share together...good luck and great post!!

TxCassie
02-28-2013, 11:41 PM
So good to read your experience Jessica. Your dad must have been thinking over a lot of things,processing the thoughts. coming to resolution. Showing up as he did would have scared the you know what out of me. Something so out of character would have gotten my pressure up big time. But it sure sounded like you dad loves you greatly, without reservation, and loves you for you. It did sound he was willing to be open to talk about Jessica, but only you two really know how far to take things. Good Luck and So very happy for you.

Cassie

Nichola
03-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Lovely post & you have a great father:)

Tracii G
03-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Such a great post Jessica and it did bring a tear to my eye.
My Dad was hard on me but I deserved it I wasn't a great kid sometimes.
I can't say he ever said he was proud of me which still hurts to this day but it was my fault and I truly regret it.I was the one with a cold heart.
Its been 26 years since he passed and I still miss him.
Cherish the time you have with your Dad and tell him how proud you are of him.

Brynna M
03-01-2013, 09:59 PM
:)

that was nice to read.

Thanks

Maria in heels
03-10-2013, 06:15 AM
Jessica...its wonderful feeling isn't it? To have one's dad actually try to be one of the boys instead of the long, standoff figure that they tend to be. Its a great day and just put it in your memory box - its the one to keep

Mollyanne
03-10-2013, 07:36 AM
THAT WAS SOOOOO NICE TO HEAR!!!!!! MAYBE NEXT TIME YOU COULD FULLY DRESS AND THE BOTH OF YOU COULD GO OUT TO DINNER.

Molly

Jenni Yumiko
03-10-2013, 08:50 AM
That's awesome, I could only wish I was able to have that kind of moment with my dad. Cherish it and use it as a gateway to bond with him on all levels!

Genifer Teal
03-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Your post brought a tear to my eye.

Jessica86
03-31-2013, 10:38 AM
Thank you all! Molly, I don't think that is going to happen. He's very conservative, and I'm lucky enough that he hasn't disowned me just for knowing. LOL.

Bethany38
03-31-2013, 04:08 PM
Jessica what an absolutely wonderful experience. I wish I had the chance to have such a wonderful interlude with my own Father. I do not know if it ever would have been possible, as I never told him about the Bethany side of me. I know my Father was a good man, but do not know if he would have been able to cope with this one.

alejandra
03-31-2013, 04:12 PM
amazing sounds like a great man