PDA

View Full Version : Is the "My Husband Betty" book worth buying? Opinions?

StephanieH
12-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Hi, this one's a simple opinion question. I only recently found out about this book, and I'm sure most of you are more familiar with it than I am. Should I get this one to help me and my wife along or is it only going to confuse us more? Any book review help out there? Or recomendations on something similar? Thanks! :)
Randi

kristine239
12-09-2005, 02:46 PM
You can meet the author, Helen Boyd in person if you like at Transgender 2006. for all of the information, go to www.IFGE.org/convention

Bonnie D
12-09-2005, 03:20 PM
I've read the book and found it very interesting and helpful even though it is aimed at wives. It tries to help them understand why their husbands crossdress and how to become more understanding. It also explains to husbands how their wives must feel and that compromises must be reached.

I recommend this book for crossdressers with wives or girlfriends. You read it first and then give it to your wife or girlfriend and let them read it when they are ready. Of course that's if you are out to them. I'm not so I read it for my own information.

Bonnie

VeronicaMoonlit
12-09-2005, 04:25 PM
Buy it, read it, love it.

It's an excellent book, it Rocks!

The author has her own website/blog (and a message board too):

http://www.myhusbandbetty.com

Veronica

celeste26
12-09-2005, 04:33 PM
The local library usually has a copy if you dont want to buy it. (at least mine does)

Maddie Nolan
12-09-2005, 04:47 PM
I found the book well worth reading. It is very in depth from both the CD point of view and from the SO point of view too. It helped me to see both sides of the picture.
Be warned though, it pulls no punches and is quite intense in places.

Rebecca Jeanne
12-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Helen Boyd was also interviewed on Gender Talk #448. Very interesting and worth a listen.

http://www.gendertalk.com/real/400/gt448.shtml

GypsyKaren
12-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi Randi

I highly recommend it to you, it really helped both Kat and I an awful lot. Helen is truly wonderful, and so is Betty. I'm also a member of their community, have found it to be very supportive, and have made quite a few friends there.

GypsyKaren

Rachel Morley
12-09-2005, 08:47 PM
It's a very interesting book. Helpful, but it tells it like it is. Meaning that it pulls no punches and describes all aspects of crossdressing and crossdressers. Both the good and the not so good.

I do recommend it though.

Dragster
12-09-2005, 08:55 PM
I bought it earlier this year, and also recommend it. Written by the wife of a CDer, I've learned a lot of how my disapproving wife may look at my "hobby". I read the whole book, and suggested she read the first 4 chapters before we talk. She agreed but I'm still waiting for her to read that much, 8 months later! So I don't yet know how useful it will be, but as others have said, Helen Boyd does not pull any punches. It's all there, warts and all!

Good luck with it,
Tony

Marlena Dahlstrom
12-10-2005, 01:27 AM
Definitely worth buying. If you get it, Helen recommends that SOs read the first four chapters and then set it aside until they've digested it all.

The next two chapters deal with the "scary" stuff -- sexuality and transitioning -- which might never be an issue in your relationship. Incidently, in both those chapters it's easy to overlook Helen's disclaimers about how these aren't issues affecting everyone, so you can come away with the impression that she's painting an overly negative picture. It's just one those issues inherent with "support" books -- they tend to focus on that which needs support.

Helen's blog and forum are worth checking out, as Veronica said.