PDA

View Full Version : Colour balancing, skirt length

JamieQ
03-03-2013, 07:56 AM
I do alot of reading and I came across an article about colour balancing for CDers. I usually wear a favourite camo skirt when I am out and about with either a black, grey or orange hoodie. I think I need to swap the colours up or down. The article recommended the brighter colours on bottom and the other more neutrals on top. The rationale was to draw more attention to the skirt/legs area and attract less attention to the broader shoulders.

So...I almost always wear white tights, mainly to make my skinnier legs appear bigger. Does wearing the brighter white tights distract from the shoulders? I really want to go some of the brighter pinks, etc. Wear can I buy a denim type skirt in those coloured jean type materials? I mean like a blue denim but like a yellow, green, pink, etc? Then, lastly due to bunches of girls/women wearing them year round in this area, I want to go with a camo top. Maybe a long sleeved camo T, or a short sleeved over a white long sleeved T, or the camo hoodie...and then the walking shoes.

Another thing...I reached a point where I need to change my age to 50ish. Most of my skirts are at mid knee cap level and up 4-5 inches. I was always told that once the Western women reach 40 or so, that the shorter skirts (minis) are out for them. I have been paying particular attention to this age group and the above statement does not really seem to apply. I am thinking that I should go at least mid knee cap and down. I have been looking for a mid calf walkig skirt, but so far none have ever felt right. Should I just keep using what I got? I really do not think I stick out.

Karen_K
03-03-2013, 08:14 AM
When I think of a miniskirt, I think of mid-thigh length and up, which some do think of as age-inappropriate on women over 40 or so. I tend to think the only reason its considered age-inappropriate is because it usually isn't done. So you would tend to stick out more. But either way, knee-length and up a few inches up is a pretty standard skirt length, and I see women of all ages wearing that.

Dana921
03-03-2013, 09:48 AM
I think you should go with whatever you like and makes you feel your best about your appearance! So length of skirt can be more flexible as to age if you feel great about it! Bolder, brighter colors and stripes or pattern skirts will help the lower half of our bodies appear bigger or larger and can visually help offset the width of shoulders to help them look less wide. Gives more of a feminine shape / appearance. Darker colors on top can also help the shoulders or top of our bodies look smaller, so a darker top combined with a lighter / bolder color often helps us. The cut or shape of the skirt can help us look wider in the hip area also. For me, doing these things means I do not have to wear padding to get the shape I am after which is a real help in the summer time (cooler) and less of a problem when having to use the restroom.

Beverley Sims
03-03-2013, 12:23 PM
I do not have a shoulder problem but a flared skirt certainly helps.

JamieQ
03-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Well...it looks like my skirt length is okey. Its not really much different than what I see and I think I tend to present as way younger than I am. What about a denim white skirt with the pink or other coloured tights. I really like the white skirt/black tights look, but makes legs look skinnier, so what other colours? How do the really bright tights like aqua, red, orange etc makes the legs look in a white skirt? It would draw attention to the legs away from shoulders and to me overall, but I am not concerned with the latter.:)

JamieQ
03-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Here a pic I found. Its not me but it is really close to my look...skirt length,hair colour/length and even the sunglasses.