PDA

View Full Version : USA visa waiver program

Deborah_UK
03-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Note to mods - I really wasn't sure where this thread should be placed, but hoped that either travellers to the US or those in the US with Department of Homeland Security knowledge might be able to help.

I'm planning to go to the USA on the visa waiver program, as a visitor. However four years ago I went on the same program, on arrival I was fingerprinted as part of their biometric capture processes. Four years ago I had not transitioned and travelled under my former male identity, I am now post op and have had my current passport for three years (and have used it for european travel several times).

My concern is that on arrival in the USA my biometrics will be checked and the fingerprint match will flag up my transition, and may cause a problem in being allowed into the States, does anyone know whether this previous biometric capture will cause a problem?

Michelle.M
03-05-2013, 09:07 AM
If your passport is current and shows your new legal name and photo you should have no issues. If you want some extra insurance you can tuck your name change order in your purse and be prepared to present it if things get sticky but I'll bet money it won't get that far.

People change names and change their looks all the time. Immigration is used to that. Additionally, the US has modified our own passport rules to make it easier for transgender people to get new passports, so passports that belong to people (and the biometric data that goes with it) who now look much different and have new identities isn't anything they haven't already seen before.

Stephanie-L
03-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Deborah,
Welcome, I hope you enjoy your trip. My suggestion would be to carry a copy of any legal paperwork you may have (legal name change, etc) with you, as well as a letter from your physician stating that you have had surgery and you look different now. You may (probably) be subject to some extra screening and questions, but as long as you are honest, I doubt it will cause a problem. I suspect that the old biometric data is long gone, unless you are on some international watch list. I am just a citizen who has been dealing with our system for a while, so in no way am I official, but I expect you will simply present your passport/visa and get a "Welcome to the US", and that is it. You could contact either your local consulate or go online and contact Department of homeland security for an official answer. I am interested in the answer you get as I have just transitioned and will be traveling internationally soon, and wonder what it will be like on my return. BTW, if you happen to be in the DFW, Texas area, drop me a note, perhaps we can get together.................Stephanie

Beth-Lock
03-05-2013, 11:50 AM
The approach of Americans to TS, TG and CD is not necessarily what you would expect. Many TS and even CD's travelling from Canada to the USA for example, to go to a TG convention, are generally treated cordially by everyone official along their way, even when men who are just travleling cross-dressed as women, for fun. It is as if, Americans respect the exoitic and think of TS or even CD's, as being somewhat similiar to celebrities. No sour-pussed anyway.

Beverley Sims
03-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Carry both passports so as they can check your previous biometric.
As long as they can trace that you are the same person that is all they want to do.
Carry doctors letters and a prescription regimen shoeing what medication you are on.
When I travel I carry 3 months supply of BP tablets and a prescription regimen showing what my dosage is.
My only problem is all the radio, GPS and electronic gear I carry. Looks like a big bomb in my bag but they see it all and search my bag each time.
I landed at Heathrow once with a single slice of ham I had brought in from the states. I could not throw it away as there were no rubbish bins.
I declared it as food, they had to "seize" it, filled out a form and I was on my way.

AllieSF
03-05-2013, 01:49 PM
The easiest way to find out is to make some phone calls before your trip to the airline and to the US Consulate to ask all your questions and see what they say. Good luck and please let us know what you find out and what your final experience is.

Deborah_UK
03-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Thanks so far for the responses.

Allie - unfortunately the US Embassy in the UK is not exactly customer focussed and do not accept telephone calls! I'm not coming over there for a few months yet, but if I needed to get a visa i'm giving myself enough time.

Stephanie - I'm heading to New York City for a short break so Im afraid I'll be someway from Texas

mikiSJ
03-05-2013, 02:07 PM
With the recent "sequester" there may be less customs officials available when landing and some may have a hair misplaced regarding T individuals. Be prepared to wait and maintain a good sense of humor.

As for carrying two passports as Beverley suggested, make sure only one is valid.

Michelle.M
03-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Carry both passports so as they can check your previous biometric.

If she actually had two passports with current expiration dates that would be fraud, and I can think of nothing that would get her in trouble faster (unless she were carrying live explosives). Her old passport is invalid and meaningless.

The only people who should be carrying more than one passport are travelers with dual citizenship. Even when I worked for the government I had a standard blue passport and a maroon one for official business, but except for the color of the covers they were both the same and identified the same person.

In any event, she'll only show one passport; otherwise she'll get to have a very long visit with all sorts of nice people who will have many questions.

Rianna Humble
03-05-2013, 05:21 PM
In this country you get your old passport back with one corner removed to indicate that it is no longer valid except for any limitless visas. It is perfectly legal to have that with you when you travel as you are not using it as your primary ID