PDA

View Full Version : It's hard to stay beautiful

Leah Lynn
03-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Spent last weekend in the big city, Girls' night out, Friday night, group meeting (followed by 2nd GNO), Saturday night, and shopping Sunday, before heading home. I got a manicure on Sunday, and it really made me feel good.
Then, back to reality during the week. It's been slow, so we had lots of time to service our trucks and fix all the little things that get passed over. I changed oil and lubed my truck and one driven by a part timer. My hands looked horrible; not that I was ever a candidate to model wedding rings or anything. It took three days to finally get all the grease and oil out of my cuticles and eight nails were chipped or broken. Then there's the busted knuckles, cuts and callouses. The crap I put up with so Leah can have pretty things. I need to win the lottery!

Leah

SarahBJackson
03-08-2013, 11:11 PM
You are right, it is hard, especially if you are as hairy as me! It takes me about an hour to completely de-hair. I do it on Friday night and I'm good for the weekend.

Tracii G
03-09-2013, 12:55 AM
Oil takes forever to get off I hear ya!

Persephone
03-09-2013, 02:07 AM
I have the same problem even though I only work on my carss and trucks as an amateur.

It's why they invented work gloves and rubber gloves, Leah. Before you put them on to work on the trucks apply a generous amount of lanolin-based hand creme and then slip the gloves on.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Erica Marie
03-09-2013, 06:51 AM
I work in an auto parts store and I see a trend over the last few years that more and more techs are wearing disposable gloves. They have some really good ones that hold up to quite a bit of chemicals and oils. Use them and ditch them, a quick wash and your hands are clean and it does help your skin from being attacked. Just remember to use lotion in between to keep them soft. Hope this helps ;)

Stevie
03-09-2013, 07:23 AM
I use scrubs in a bucket. Before and after I do a job. It does a good job keeping the grease off my hands. That with washing my hair.

Beverley Sims
03-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Yes during the week we destroy just about everything we strive for.
To go to work I had to cut nearly a quarter of an inch off my thumb nail.
Also the others were brought back a bit.

Raychel
03-09-2013, 07:53 PM
I am totally with you, I am an auto mechanic, And not only do my hands look like hell they feel that way too.
It sure is nice to get all prettied up on the weekends though.

I need to win the lottery too!

Emjay
03-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Huh, seems there are a lot of mechanics on here (myself included lol)....

I've never been one for gloves because they make it too hard to handle small parts. Has anyone ever tried barrier creams (gloves in a bottle etc...) before diving into the grease, oil and dirt? I've seen it but haven't tried it. Also scratching your fingernails lightly over a bar of soap will fill under your fingernails with soap so dirt can't get in so easily making clean up easier. Gojo waterless hand cleaner but using it with water works great for removing oil and grease too!

Ditto on the lottery thing, I keep trying but so far no luck! :(

Rollcasket
03-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Its the natural of it all, trying to balance out two lives is never easy.

docrobbysherry
03-10-2013, 12:30 AM
I won't work with gloves on. So, I do it the other way around. I have to. My hands at their best look like an ugly mud fence!:sad:

So, I wear gloves when I dress. (See avatar pic.) Always have. But, after seeing so many girls recently with gorgeous hands and nails, I just decided I want that look, too. :daydreaming:

Now, I wear home made latex gloves with nails on them! Here they r.:battingeyelashes: