PDA

View Full Version : Moving soon.

London
03-08-2013, 11:40 PM
I have been afforded the oppertunity to move. Thanks to my service in the military, I am now retired at the age of 37. I am recently divorced with no kids. Is there any one city that is more accepting to a CD than another? I like warm, so I am thinking the southern states. I am currently in PA and its do damn cold for me here.

London

Megan_Girl
03-08-2013, 11:49 PM
IMHO San Francisco. None better

VickysBFF
03-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Hi London: There are quite a few cities in the South that are fairly friendly to our community... New Orleans, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, just off the top of my head.
I am a native Southerner and having lived in the four corners of the USA I would not live outside of the South again.
I do agree with Megan; overall, the San Francisco area (SF, Oakland, San Jose) is the most accepting place in the US. Most all of the major cities in California are great places to be (L.A., San Diego, Anaheim, etc.) but the cost of living is very high.

Beverley Sims
03-09-2013, 09:38 AM
I would say Florida keys, but if you need to work there's all that coastline along the Gulf of Mexico, and then there is San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Nicole Brown
03-09-2013, 09:56 AM
If I were ever to leave the northeast I think a lovely place to retire to would be Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I have visited this area many times and find it to be friendly and accepting.

London
03-09-2013, 11:41 AM
I have lived near Atlanta and lived in Dallas. They are my top picks so far. I have support fom long time friends in both cities. My high school sweetheart lives n ear Atlanta and she is a GG diva in her own right lol. I think Atl is my #1 and Dallas is my #2. I have never been west of the rookies, so I guess maybe for vacation I should go to CA and check it out.

AllieSF
03-10-2013, 04:11 PM
I think an important item to consider is how confident and self accepting of who you are, are you. All the cities and locations already mentioned, plus many more, are good for those who really "need" an above average "accepting" place to live. However, and we read it all the time from our out and about members, there are a lot who go out wherever they live, including the deep and conservative USA South and even more conservative Salt Lake City area, and literally have no problems. It is their self confidence, some courage, and ability to just live their lives that so clearly dispels a lot of the fears of those here that want to get out more but let their own fears and lack of that needed confidence hold them back, and I am talking about those that do want to go out.

So, if you think that you will have problems getting to that good confidence level and that it will prevent you from being yourself, then yes, these more accepting and tolerating locations probably are best for you. However, if you think that you can get to that confident point rather quickly, then I would recommend moving to someplace that also compliments the rest of your life with climate, big city or suburbs or country lifestyles, work opportunities, closeness to family and friends, and other things that make living more fun than not. Please let us know what you finally decide.

Lainie
03-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Houston has an out Lesbian mayor, and an active LGBT community.

Rogina B
03-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Like Nicole said..Ft Lauderdale...I live there when I am not working in Jacksonville...