PDA

View Full Version : Diffence in a Cd and a Queen

London
03-09-2013, 01:51 AM
I am just curious on the differnce between a Cd and a queen? My sexuality is questionable at best. I have never been with a man and I dont look to be with one, even tho I do have the dreams. I have been married twice and very much enjoy the hetro ways. But I am a CD with a mild dream of maybe I am a queen. I dont know. Whats the difference and is it a bad thing?

MysticLady
03-09-2013, 01:58 AM
I believe a drag queen is more flamboyant where a CD is more.......conservative?

Tracii G
03-09-2013, 02:03 AM
Don't get all worked up over labels they don't mean much.Just be yourself.
People think if you CD you must be gay or be a sicko but thats not true either.
And CDing wont change your sexual preference.
Pretty much it Mystic Lady when I hear queen I think of an over the top drag performer.

London
03-09-2013, 02:06 AM
Well my Fem side is alil darker in her dress and not very conservitive. Maybe it is because I have been raised to that. My Uncle Karen was very conservative and my family didnt like the way he was. So I guess I am about to throw my very very Conservative family thru a huge loop again lol. I am happy with who I am and my friends that know are very happy and have said before that it doesnt suprise them. My bestie called me the "gayest straight guy she knows" for a long time and said this side of me is actully a perfect fit for me.

MysticLady
03-09-2013, 02:09 AM
My bestie called me the "gayest straight guy she knows" for a long time and said this side of me is actully a perfect fit for me.

Good for you London. Im happy for you

Lynn Marie
03-09-2013, 06:04 AM
All the CD's I've met are heterosexual. All the Drag Queens I've met are gay. We dress to emulate our dream girl, they dress as part of a performance. Personally I don't feel lip syncing is much of a performance.

flatlander_48
03-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Don't get all worked up over labels they don't mean much.Just be yourself.
People think if you CD you must be gay or be a sicko but thats not true either.
And CDing wont change your sexual preference.
Pretty much it Mystic Lady when I hear queen I think of an over the top drag performer.

Interesting. My vision was always a very effeminate gay man, regardless of whether one performs or not. It's a very old term...

STACY B
03-09-2013, 06:48 AM
Drag Queens get Paid ,,, CD's do it for free !! ,,,,,,,,LOL,,,, Most queens are Pro's an the can perform some kind of act ,,Maybe Model ,, Sing ,,Dance ,, Tell Jokes ,, CD's try an emulate real woman ,, Drag performers emulate celeb's !! Do inpersonations ,,I love Drag Shows ,,,

Beverley Sims
03-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Forget the labels, do what you do, be what you are and enjoy life for what it is worth.
Money does not buy life but it helps make it happy.

rita63
03-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Queens were the name some gay CDs I knew in the 70's described themselves and they still use this term. The ones who survived AIDs do anyhow.

hugs rita

Sheren Kelly
03-09-2013, 11:04 AM
The difference in presentation can be summed up in one word "Camp".
Drag Queens have fun with gender and exploit the extremes in their performance.
CDs may be expressing their femme side, but as a personal expression, not as a performance.

Lorileah
03-09-2013, 12:40 PM
I am a Princess, I will never be a Queen (there is a bad joke that goes with that ). I just want to reach the level that Princess Grace attained :)

Queen is fairly broad based. As mentioned it is used more for Drag performers but it is used to describe an overly flamboyant gay. PS Drag Queens don't have to be gay, it just usually works that way. I have been described as a Queen by teh gay community so they don't really know either.

As mentioned, do try and get into a label box. You are who you are. I have a label just because it is easier to define where I am on the scale.

Taylor186
03-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Hang around here for a while and you will see that definitions are fluid, and often contentious.

My experience is that not all CDs are straight and not all Queens are gay, but that is the common stereotype. I would add that while Queens crossdress they are mostly not crossdressers in the classic compulsive sense. RuPaul is just one (famous) example.

There are many types of drag performance and camp is only one. Wiki has a pretty good analysis if you want to learn more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_queen

Angela Campbell
03-09-2013, 12:49 PM
I have been asked before if I was a drag queen. I always say no. It seems that most people out there think cd = drag queen = gay = pervert. I am none of those. I like princess but I am too old for that I guess. Drag queens are usually performers, and tend to over do the presentation in almost a caracature sort of way. I just want to look like a lady. Hell I want to be a lady.

Kate Simmons
03-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Most CD's just want to look like women. DQ's have big hair, big boobs and are caricatures of what most gay guys think a woman is all about. Plus usually in their act, DQ's will spoof this.:)

NathalieX66
03-09-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm not a queen, and I'm not Cd....I'm an .mp3. ....though I have downloaded a bunch of Queen .mp3's for my listening pleasure.:heehee:

Rachel Morley
03-09-2013, 12:57 PM
My experience is that not all CDs are straight and not all Queens are gay, but that is the common stereotype.
That is my personal experience too. I know of drag queens that are not gay and I know Cders who are gay. Having said that, of the people I have met, it was the other way around, most of the drag queens were gay and most of the cders were straight.

flatlander_48
03-09-2013, 01:09 PM
It would seem that among the younger folks here that queen implies drag queen. Historically that would not be the case. From historical context, the term size queen was a common term for example (I won't go into a description here) but it had nothing to do with crossdressing or performing in drag.

LilSissyStevie
03-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Back in the day a queen was any effeminate gay male. A drag queen was any male bodied person who dressed up as a woman. There was no differentiation between crossdressers, transsexuals and what are called drag queens today. The tribes and their various ideologies hadn't been formed yet. Nowadays a drag queen has the narrow definition of a gay male that crossdresses for performance purposes. So drag queens are crossdressers but not all crossdressers are drag queens.

kathy chelan
03-09-2013, 02:35 PM
We crossdressers have a very strong and very basic desire to look, feel, and dress in feminine clother, and for many of us it started at a very early age. In the past i have been able at different times to check out from the library two books by RuPaul. I never understood the progression of how he went from dressing flamboyantly unusual in school to hsi career as a drag quenn.

But once he wrote that he NEVER dresses at home in his leisure hours---only when he is getting paid for performing. And no wonder---he wrote that his full regimen to get ready takes 3 hours---all the things he does was quite revealing and i know that taakes dedication---and of course he is likely one of the most well known drag queen performers there is---to my knowledge anyway. Since i am currently in an apartment communith for active seniors the hall ways are well-lit and so i would never depart and return in full femme, as i would the 4 years previous to this address---the choice was not mine to make, unfortunately, since i am bipolar and my sister and her husband subsidize my living beyond my fixed-income social security with is rather low---this was set up by my second ex-wife of 26 years when we divorced--who had been my sister's best friend for 10 years prior to me meeting her. When she discovered all my stash of stuff one time just a few days before a Valentine's day, she went ballistic and told most of our family members of my crossdressing. Nothing was said about it to be and so i never found out about that until we separated about seven years later and it was more because of the bipolar than anything else--she just had had enough. anyway--none of this has changed or diminished my overwhelming desires to be girly and for the four years i could go out easier (at night only) around the apartment i was in then and driving to a few stores etc, i felt freer than ever before that---and hope to find a support group and a place to dress one of these days. (didn't know i would share so much here--i know i need to do my entry in the introductions section for sure now)

NicoleScott
03-09-2013, 04:26 PM
But once he wrote that he NEVER dresses at home in his leisure hours---only when he is getting paid for performing.

Kathy, I didn't know that about RuPaul. By the broad definition of "crossdresser", it's one who dresses in clothes usually worn by the opposite sex. Other definitions, however, say it's usually done for sexual or emotional reasons. If this is so, RuPaul may be a drag queen but not a crossdresser, just an entertainer in costume, albeit an interesting entertainer in interesting costumes. Splitting hairs, I guess. But John Wayne wasn't really a cowboy, just an actor getting paid to portray a cowboy. Is there a difference?

Mikkigurll
03-09-2013, 04:55 PM
It's kinda like the difference between a CD and a TV. I am a CD that happens to wear clothes of the other sex. I don't know which one I am. I have heard the term gender disforic. I am more like gender uephoric.