PDA

View Full Version : What makes a woman a woman?

Kate Simmons
03-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Many of us admire women very much and want to look like them and act like them. My question is, other than the obvious physical attributes, what do you think it is that makes a woman a woman? This may seem like a dumb question but when you ponder it, you may be surprised what you come up with. Everyone is welcome to express their feelings on this.:)

Beverley Sims
03-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Kate we will never know.
I have a book Everything you need to know about women.
It cost me $5.95 at Walmart.
It has 194 blank pages in it.
They certainly have a different mindset.
Logic is a word they haven't learned yet.
Reasoning, well there is a reason for everything.
Organizational ability, look at the kitchen cupboards.
Washing, Ironing and other house chores, I have no reason to criticize here.
Companionship, Cooking, and caring. Well I have one who is a gem.
We go out to dinner twice a week, her to Mac Donalds on Tuesday, and me to Burger King on Friday.
When she asks what is on the television I reply, "dust".

What makes a woman a woman?
They are so different to men and I luv 'em heaps.
I have said it before "They are the best thing since sliced bread."

Angela Campbell
03-09-2013, 01:03 PM
We all start off that way.....just some of us have to put up with that rampant Y chromosome for life.

Rachel Morley
03-09-2013, 01:25 PM
What makes a woman a woman?
Not including the obvious physical traits, that's a super hard thing to quantify and is very subjective, but I don't believe that a person has to meet some sort of level, or status, or qualification to say, yes "she's a woman" (in the sense that people say he's a "real man" ...i.e "real men" are this way or that way). I also don't think it’s necessarily a set of character traits or outward physical appearance. I don't think it's even a set of virtues or standards that people must live up to.

Like I said, it's a super hard thing to quantify and is very subjective.

flatlander_48
03-09-2013, 01:32 PM
To me, the term Resilience comes to mind. In any time period in history, many women have endured GREAT hardships only to continue to hang onto their sense of duty, pride in their families and hope for the future. Men do this also, but often ours turns to anger and that's the motivation for trying to bring about change. Women tend to be more patient. Perhaps they know that things will turn out as they think eventually.

Kate Simmons
03-09-2013, 02:15 PM
There is a lot to be said about family values and consensus but sometimes one just has to take "The bull by the horns". That is one big difference I think.:)

busker
03-09-2013, 02:31 PM
read this and find out
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/animal-minds/201202/what-is-it-be-bat

click on the blue link "philosophy paper"

Kate Simmons
03-09-2013, 02:49 PM
read this and find out
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/animal-minds/201202/what-is-it-be-bat

click on the blue link "philosophy paper"So basically what they are saying is that women are a separate species that we could never understand? From a pure biological sense that may be true. However, many of us, whether we believe it or admit it or not, have been women in previous incarnations. So, I know what makes a woman a woman but just wanted to see what others say about that. When I post something, I already have my mind made up but want to get the feelings of others on it.:)

sometimes_miss
03-09-2013, 03:11 PM
What makes a woman a woman
Women 'go with their gut' rather than acquire information and base a decision on that. What does that mean? They act on their feelings first, then try to find reasons to back up that decision afterward; the traditional 'woman's intuition'. Women are relationship oriented; their lives revolve around their family and friends. Women identify themselves by how they interact with their friends and relatives. Woman need almost constant updates on each other; if a woman doesn't hear from another woman in more than a few days, she will think somethings wrong. If she doesn't hear from her in weeks, then something's very wrong. A guy can go decades without contact with another man, and pick up right where we left off. Men are astounded when they find that women don't reach orgasm every time they have sex, and even more surprised when we learn that is perfectly o.k. with women. They want the love and affection FIRST, the regular orgasms second. Weird, huh! A guy would never even consider this. Sure, great sex is a good thing to her as well, but without love she'll feel lost. Guys have absolutely no problem having sex without falling in love. A woman wouldn't think of it. Think not? Because of all the 'cougar' stories? Nope, they want the relationship and love there as well. Very few women can handle sex only relationships. Women talk just to talk, while men talk to solve a particular issue or problem. Guys can watch a three football game marathon and not have any more discussion than about who dropped what ball, where a woman with another woman will know every detail about another woman's family and friends lives in short order, and then re-hash other people's relationships over and over with 'what do you think it means when' someone does or says something; it's all due to her need to decipher behavior without any concrete evidence of what the other person is actually thinking. Why? Because they have evolved to care for children, who usually cannot tell you what they need or want with any accuracy. Women constantly change their appearance; they innately know that males want to mate with different females, so they constantly change their appearance slightly to allow our inner guy to fool ourselves into believing that's happening. Men will wear basically the same thing for days on end; it's why a woman can mix and match her clothes into hundreds, even thousands of different 'looks', while a guy is lucky if he can name half a dozen off the top of his head. Make up too, she'll have different combinations of shades depending on how she wants to express herself visually. Guys? nada. We express ourselves vocally.....and briefly.
For Bev;
A reason for everything; yes, but they can't, or won't, tell you what that reason is.
Organizational ability? Well, women can think of several things going on at the same time, so you might get the impression she's good at it, but often all those things get messed up and unfinished.
For flatlander; women tend to be more patient because they historically haven't been in charge to order the changes made that they want.
Of course there's more, especially the stark physical differences between sexually mature females and other humans. But you get the idea.

pink femme
03-09-2013, 04:12 PM
However, many of us, whether we believe it or admit it or not, have been women in previous incarnations.

I Believe not! Convince me.....:heehee:

docrobbysherry
03-09-2013, 04:34 PM
It's a little bit their parts. :o It's a little bit their looks.:battingeyelashes: It's a little bit their emotions.:doh:
They're smaller, gentler, and more patient. But for ME, what makes a woman a woman is the way they think!:brolleyes:

They can be smarter than I. They can be dumber. Educated or not. Superstitious or reasonable. :straightface:They can even be nuttier than a bag full of squirrels!:devil:

But for ME, they ALL have one thing in common:
I haven't a clue how their wheels upstairs turn!:eek:

Gerrijerry
03-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Woman are men and men are woman except for different physical parts. Both the same yet raised differently.
Yet we are how we are born the person within can not change. Trying to label women or men for that matter is silly. Each person is the same yet different.

PrincessLuLu
03-09-2013, 06:03 PM
I think a lot (not all) of women tend to think about things in a sort of complicated way. Considering the options and other opinions when it really doesn't make a difference either way.

Example:
me to husband - "Where do you want to eat?"
him - "Burger King"

husband to me - "Where do you want to eat?"
me - *takes at least 10 minutes to weigh the options of where I like to eat compared to where he likes to eat and whether or not there is something available for our young child to eat at whatever restaurant I choose and then totally going nuts because we didn't freeze those chicken breasts yet and they might go bad and they cost like ten dollars OMG*

I also agree with the idea that most people are just -people- and each individual personality is different regardless of sex. From my own experiences, however, I believe men are more decisive and sure and less likely to sit and think on things whereas a woman might have one or more opinions on a subject and go back and forth until she just feels right about it. Isn't that where the phrase "a woman's prerogative" came from? Us changing our minds out of the blue?

Fran Moore
03-09-2013, 06:26 PM
According to a recent episode on the Dr. Oz show, brain scan studies have shown there is a huge difference in a woman's brain. There is a tremendous difference in brain activity in the frontal cortex of a female brain vs a male brain, which has a great deal to do with their intelligence, intuitiveness, etc. Put that on the list of what makes a woman a woman.......

andrea lace
03-09-2013, 07:03 PM
There are roughly 3.5 billion women on this planet and as many answers on what makes them so. That's what makes them so interesting don't you think?

Kate Simmons
03-09-2013, 09:15 PM
I Believe not! Convince me.....:heehee:Not my job to convince anyone of anything Hon. We make our "bed", then we have to sleep in it or our life is what we, ourselves, make it regardless of what we believe or not.:)

Alice Torn
03-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Kate, One thing i have learned, even though, an old bachelor. There are many females, and many women, but very FEW LADIES.

Persephone
03-10-2013, 02:12 AM
For men women have always been the most exciting, puzzling, and fascinating beings in the world -- this was true until computer games were invented.

Hugs,
Persephone.