PDA

View Full Version : First time out - finally!

suzanne
03-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Let me say first that I, unlike many in this forum, am not passable and never will be. I am over 6 ft tall and nearly 300 lbs. Any attempt I could make at passing will look like a grotesque caricature of a woman. My approach, then, is to assemble a feminine wardrobe that looks natural on my body, camouflaging my beer gut(which I am working to reduce), longish torso and lack of a bust line. Not so easy in the size 22 range. In the last couple of months, I have gotten some excellent advice from various sales ladies and assembled a good collection of femme clothes, and even shoes in my size (thank you, Pay Less!). I finally feel I can put together a complete outfit I can wear in public.

So last evening, I asked my 24 year old daughter to go clothes shopping with me. She recently found out accidentally about my CDing and admits she is still struggling with it. But she's a gamer. When she arrived at the house, I had on a pair of black slacks over my tights, a short sleeve top covered with a long black cardigan and my pearl necklace. I guess you could say the outfit was on the feminine side of "androgynous". The only debate left to settle was the shoes. I have a pairs of pumps and a pair of ankle boots, each with 3" heels. I balked, thinking King Kong doesn't need to be even taller. But my drab sneakers destroyed the look I put together, so I tried it with the boots. My daughter said "What the (heck). Do it." So off we went.

We drove to a strip mall 20 minutes down the highway to the plus size women's store, with the objective of finding tops to go with the cardigan. They had tons and we picked out maybe a dozen, pretty much anything in my size. The SA's were their usual helpful selves, since we had the store completely to ourselves. My daughter handed the first armload to an SA, asking to start a fitting room for us. There was no doubt who it was for, as my daughter is a size 8 and the smallest thing I saw there was size 14! I went in and started trying things on, quickly narrowing them down to three. I could have gone home with as many as five, but three was my preset limit.

Time to check out. My daughter had me put on top she liked best to wear out of the store and we asked about where we could get a steak. As it turns out there was a Keg just across the highway. Off we went. The restaurant was busy - who would have guessed a steakhouse would be busy at 8:00 on a Friday night? - so we were seated at the bar. I felt a bit like some of the guests were taking long sideways looks at me, but as my daughter said "F(orget) them", and the wait staff was perfect. I was obviously "No big deal" to them. We soon got a table, thoroughly enjoyed our meals, and drove home after tipping generously. We made a deal to do something like this again, maybe downtown where CDers are even less of a big issue.

So now I finally feel I am doing something to help make it easier for CDers to come out of the closet and go out in public. I see elsewhere here the debate about why we are less accepted than gays. It is true that gays have been fighting their fight longer, but that is only part of the story. A gay man looks like any other man. A lesbian looks like any other woman. Many CDs in this forum pass so well no one notices, but a CD like me looks like neither and stands out much more.

Jodi Anne
03-09-2013, 06:09 PM
WOW what a good story with a happy ending. You are right the more of us who get out the more we will be accepted.

Julie Denier
03-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Good for you! As a fellow full-figured lady (6-2 and 280 down from 360), I have been pleasantly surprised by my attempts to look and feel pretty. There really are plenty of options available for us big gals. And while I currently have no desire to go out dressed in public, I think that maybe someday I could, if I really wanted to. Congratulations! ;)

Angela Campbell
03-09-2013, 06:21 PM
Julie....don't do it!!!! If you ever go out in public you will just want to do it again and again! Oh it is a vicious circle!

Faye56
03-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Such a lovely experience , but please be careful and take care .

Raychel
03-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Sounds like you have made one huge step. Thanks to a great daughter to stand by your side.
All followed up with a great dinner.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

oliviall
03-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Congratulations! Love to hear more of us are getting out the first time!

Valerie Sparks
03-09-2013, 07:21 PM
What a great story. You have a wonderful daughter.

AmyGaleRT
03-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Suzanne, I'm about your height and build, maybe a little taller (I wear a 26W usually), and I was out at a support group meeting last night, and I've walked through a supermarket before. Nobody said anything at the store, and of course, at the group, I was "just one of the girls." I don't know that you need to worry.

And Julie, of course you could go out. If you showed up around here, I'd go with you. :)

- Amy

Beverley Sims
03-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Suzanne, you are getting out and it appears your daughter is a god send.
I wish you well and like others encourage you to get out and meet others.

jillleanne
03-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Na Na na na NANA!!! Told you so didn't I? No one out there cares who you are. So happy you had fun. False fears created within ones' mind will serve no usefull purpose in life. Welcome out!

suzanne
03-11-2013, 07:21 PM
From reading tons of posts in this forum, I knew all along it would be great to get out and have even felt inadequate that i had not been successful in that way. Recently, I have been looking for the right set of circumstances. For one, I needed the right outfit. I am not passable, so finding the clothes that are feminine but subtle has been a process. Secondly, shoes that fit my size 12 feet. I was never going to take a chance on an online purchase. I have never had good luck when I did. So only very recently did I get lucky at a Payless shoestore. Lastly, the support of my daughter while my wife was out with her brother. All these things fell into place suddenly and before I knew it, I was out the door in my 3" heels!

kimdl93
03-11-2013, 08:15 PM
regardless of how people may have perceived you, its great that during your first outing, you were treated with respect and consideration by SAs, the wait staff and most importantly with the acceptance and support of your daughter. I hope you have many, many more opportunities to enjoy going out together!