PDA

View Full Version : Philosophy and existentialism

Cheyenne Skye
03-09-2013, 07:59 PM
I've noticed recently quite a few threads that take a more philosophical approach to the whole trans thing. I understand trying to take oneself out of the equation sometimes to make sense of the situation. But I think a few members are having out of body experiences when the post. :Pullhair: Because of some of the terminology used and the way some posts are phrased make it so that I have to really slow down and pore over ever word to grasp the concept being expressed. And I consider myself quite intelligent. So for those out there without a Phd in philosophy or existentialism, do you think we could get back to using a little "plainer" English so we can get to the point more quickly?:2c::D
Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Julie Gaum
03-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Well said, Chey. After all the written word is supposed to be "communicating". Sometimes I catch myself using a word that many would have to check out in the dictionary so it isn't a word that easily communicates. Not really my thoughts but that of an English professor
in the one English class I took at college.
Julie

Beth-Lock
03-09-2013, 09:13 PM
So for those out there without a Phd in philosophy or existentialism, do you think we could get back to using a little "plainer" English so we can get to the point more quickly?

This exact issue has been taken up before in previous posts, and dealt with quite well I think. To put the conclusion in a nutshell, it is a matter of diffren' strokes for diffren' folks.
If I were being paid and paid well to write the stuff I contribute to this site, and could only get it published in popular form, I would simplify it so much that it would be unrecognizable, that is, it would say something quite different, since often, not all things can be faithfully simplified.
Mostly what I have done is move my deep analysis of trans things to another website or personal research notes. From there it might go into or underly what I have to say in, my next book on trans things, etc.
Obviously I am not in the mood to apologize.

...the written word is supposed to be "communicating". Sometimes I catch myself using a word that many would have to check out in the dictionary ...
This is clearly a fallacy or at best a double entendre, so I definitely do not agree with this either. But thank you for leading me to ponder the Ramsifications of this.

LeaP
03-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Hegel and Hume
Came into the room
Only to find Gideon's Bible
Hume waved it away
In a rational way
While Hegel just tried to be mindful

Philosophy can be fun ... but it doesn't necessarily make it any easier!

melissaK
03-09-2013, 10:46 PM
I don't get everything everyone says either. (Maybe LeaP and Kathryn's exchange on "dysphoria on steroid" thread would be an example ;^)
And no one gets me all the time in return.
All in all I like the mix of deep thinkers and gals at the corner bar.

Maybe it's proof that TSism knows no intelligence boundaries, no class boundaries, no race boundaries.

Badtranny
03-09-2013, 11:42 PM
do you think we could get back to using a little "plainer" English so we can get to the point more quickly?

I don't know if I could disagree with this any more than I do.

There are a few of us here that really enjoy communicating in this format. There is no other place in modern life to revel in the written word than the text based forum, and there are very few things more powerful than the right word in the right place.

Reading some of these girls is an absolute delight, and I think the forum could use more people that express themselves as well as they do.

Nigella
03-10-2013, 06:11 AM
This is the TS forum, this is not a TS issue. It is also bordefing on critisising members for the way in which they express themselves