PDA

View Full Version : Counseling and the Crossdresser

Paula_56
03-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Cross dressing is about expressing who you are deep inside; it should be a positive and enjoyable experience.

Many girls I speak with have no interest in counseling or therapy and in fact, I am surprised to find some downright hostile to the idea. I can say that seeing a therapist has helped me immensely. Counseling for me wasn’t about cross dressing, but was about the pain and torment it was causing me. Mind you, it took therapy for me to realize this.

Finding the right person is the key. You don’t have to stay with the first therapist you meet with. Do your homework. Therapists with transgender experience are more common these days. Call and ask questions; make sure they are familiar with the transgender community and their issues. Ask a friend --- that’s how I found my therapist.

Another roadblock for me was admitting I was going to a counselor. I didn’t want to tell my wife that I was going because of transgender issues. So I told her it was for anxiety. As a side note, after seeing a therapist for four years, I have no problem talking to my wife about my transgender issues. The appointments are covered under my medical insurance for treatment of depression and anxiety.

So what happens when you go to “the shrink?” I’d like to take the mystery out of a visit to the psychologist.

My doctor has a small office in a professional building that is located on the campus of the Boston University Medical Center. There’s a comfortable chair to sit in and the room is nicely decorated.

The first day I went to see him, I just spilled forth my story; 50 years of struggle and it all came out. The doctor asked questions to clarify subjects and ideas.

As our sessions progressed, we discussed more current events, feelings, and issues in my life as they related to being transgender. Nothing was too personal, my thoughts and fears, even sex and sexuality. The atmosphere was relaxed, open, and confidential.

Over the years we have developed a rapport and we have even had discussions that offered insights, conclusions, and solutions. The sessions last 50 minutes and go quickly. I often look at the clock hoping there’s more time left. I look forward to the appointments and leave feeling positive and upbeat.

In 2009, I was emerging from the darkness of yet another crossdressing purge. But as any transgender person knows purging doesn’t work. My need for feminine expression had returned with a vengeance. I had once again accumulated a wardrobe and on this particular day I had the opportunity to do a complete makeover. A feeling of relief and satisfaction came over me as I dressed in front of the mirror. There she was, alive, she existed, that part of me so long hidden; I smiled and felt a slight joy inside.

Then I heard a rumble, the sound of a truck coming up the driveway. Fear rose from the pit of my stomach, my God, oh no, it’s the UPS delivery man!

In an absolute panic I tore off the clothes, wig, and make-up. Desperate to eliminate any evidence of my perceived transgression, I was soon in sweatpants and without makeup in two minutes flat. By then the UPS man had dropped off the package and was on his way down the driveway.

I had reacted as if I was doing something horribly wrong, like a thief in the night, or a murderer frantic to escape. Society had conditioned me to see this as a problem; something that was very wrong. When in fact, all I was doing was wearing clothes!

I sat there stunned and then felt my two proverbial enemies enter the room, Shame and Guilt, like two thugs in a gangster movie they worked me over. Shame used all of his weapons; instead of punches he threw words like pervert, weak, inadequate, sissy, sinner, less of a man, disgusting, and repulsive. When he was done, Guilt took over and instead of bruises and broken bones, there was self-loathing, depression, fear, anxiety, deceit, and low self-esteem. And so the lifelong cycle began again and it eventually would have destroyed me both mentally and physically.

I knew I had to do something; I had to take steps to solve my problem. If I did nothing, then nothing would change. I found the name of a psychologist who had experience with transgendered people. I remember the day I called very well. I went to a seldom used section of my office building. I attempted to dial several times and kept losing my nerve, (remember fear?)

Finally, I let the call go through expecting an answering machine or a receptionist to answer, but to my surprise, the doctor answered the phone. I stepped to the metaphorical edge and jumped.

“Hello. I ‘m tr-tr-tr-tr-ansgendered and want help.”

Non-judgmental and reassuring, he put me at ease and we talked. For the first time in my life I was open and honest with a person about these feelings. We made an appointment and I instantly felt better.

I had tried to solve my problem myself for 50 years. I tried reading all the books and websites, wrote countless emails to peers and posted on all the forums.

Finding an objective and informed person you can discuss, share and solve your issues with was a key ingredient in my journey. I’ve grown a lot over the last four years. I no longer see my crossdressing as a problem to be solved. I am not doing anything wrong. I’ve cast off society’s condemnation of being transgender and realized that I am a good person and that part of my personality and character involves being transgender. Attributes I see missing in many men, such as nurturing, kindness, compassion, and cooperation are parts of my personality that I believe come from my feminine side.

Last week I went to my appointment dressed in a navy blue Austin Reed skirt suit. I dressed at home and drove into the city. Getting there early, I went to the café at the medical center, enjoyed breakfast, and then freshened up in the ladies room before my appointment.

As I walked the campus, I was just another woman in the crowd. I could not have even dreamed of doing something like that four years ago. But please listen closely, I want to stress that my ability to get to this comfort level of presenting female had little to do with me buying the correct clothes, shoes, makeup or wig. But it had everything to do with my attitude. Yes girl, attitude!

The first step was recognizing that I am transgender and giving myself permission to be transgender; some call this self-acceptance. Next was standing up for myself and realizing that I have rights and that I am not doing anything wrong and don’t need anyone’s consent to crossdress, shop for women’s clothes, or present publically as a woman. The final step was liberating my feminine side to grow, to take pleasure in it, revel in it and be proud of it.

As I left the doctor’s office that day, I went to the reception area to have my parking ticket validated and I waited in the hallway for an elevator. When the door finally opened, there to greet me was a UPS delivery woman. I smiled to myself at the coincidence and irony of the event. I hesitated for a second only because the elevator seemed crowded with packages.

She smiled in a friendly manner and said “I got you covered, girl, c’mon in. Ground floor?”

“Ground floor please,” I muttered.

Perky and bubbly, she chimed back, “No problem, ground floor coming up.”

Then she surprised me, “I love your shoes --- they’re so cute.”

Then she added quickly, “I miss dressing up for work!”

I answered unconsciously, “Thank you and I know what you mean. I didn’t always get the opportunity to dress up either and I do appreciate it.”

I remember thinking to myself, “Honey you have no idea how much I appreciate it!”

We chatted a bit more about fashion and then parted ways. I made my way out onto the bustling street and over to the crosswalk to wait for the light to change.

A few minutes later, I heard a familiar rumble… it was a UPS truck I smiled as my new woman friend roared by. This time instead of fear and panic rising up from the pit of my stomach, I felt joy.

Fran Moore
03-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the great uplifting story Paula and congratulations on your victory over the two demons that many of us struggle with. Life is short and we should all try to live it to the fullest regardless of the challenges that we have to deal with along the way.

sandra-leigh
03-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Thoughtful and lovely!

susie evans
03-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Paula

what a great story thank you soo much for shareing part of your journey , know the feelings that go with that guilt and shame to many of us carry that burden , i'am soo happy for you ,you make a nice looking lady also and haveing confidence sure helps

wishing you the best susie

StaceyJane
03-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Thank you for telling your story. It's great to be able to look back sometimes to see how far you've come.

Kalista Jameson
03-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Great story, Paula! That was very inspirational and covered some good subject matter. I woke up a minute ago and decided to log on before trying to get more sleep and read this. So glad I did. Thank you for sharing that experience.

Cheers,

Kalista

BobbieBrooks
03-10-2013, 06:36 PM
We can relate to your story as all feel the same way at times. Each comes to their acceptance in a different way. Thanks for the insight.

Kelley
03-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Very nice story Paula, I'm glad the counseling has helped you. I am currently look for a consular for some of the same reasons and am looking forward to it. I'm not trying to get cured but am looking to understand and acceptance of myselfe. Thanks for your story.

Stephanie47
03-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Paula, I loved your story. I think the 'need' for counseling would be greatly decreased for many, if others were not so prejudicial to those not like themselves.

Vickie_CDTV
03-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Paula, what a smart looking suit and blouse! And your hairdo is great too!

It is funny, I was discussing this issue with a client today. As she mentioned, some people have bad experiences with therapists who string their clients along forever, especially when it comes to the TS trying to get letters to have their SRS. A mutual TS friend of ours had a terrible experience with one, where the therapist dangled the letter in front of her for almost 2 years, telling her she needed to have a few more sessions and then "maybe we'll talk about it"; the therapist ended up stringing her along and squeezing every drop of blood from her as she could, despite the fact she was diagnosed as intersex to begin with, and the therapist knew she was on a fixed income and was choosing between a session with her and groceries for a week.

That certainly isn't the case for most (thank goodness), but I can understand why some are bitter about the whole thing.

Leah Lynn
03-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Very interesting , Paula. I've not started therapy, but have been considering it lately. And I certainly recall the first time I experienced the UPS truck arriving while dressed; total panic mode! Thanks so much for sharing.

Leah

BLUE ORCHID
03-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Hi Paula, That was a great story and such a lovely picture at the end.

Beverley Sims
03-11-2013, 05:50 AM
Paula you present well in your photograph, and I wish you well presenting for the rest of your future.
That is a very uplifting story you told and I hope you always have stories like that.

gill_uk
03-11-2013, 07:18 AM
Hi I wonder if somebody can give me some advice.
I have an appointment with a counsellor this week about talk about my
CD /TV and gender issues. I just would like to know. Does anybody know
what questions I might be asked and how will it be handled as I am very
nervous about this. This will be the first time that I have discussed
these issues with anyone let alone a professional, I would just like
to know what they could say to me and what I will be asked and what I
can expect so please can somebody give me some advice as I rather
nervous about even talking to somebody about these issues.
Hope someone can help me
Thank you
Love
Gill

Linda Leigh
03-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Paula, What a wonderful story about your journey though life as a CD. I am so happy and excited for you to conquer or control your 2 demons! You look wonderful and love the suit :)

Hugs

Linda Leigh

Debra Russell
03-11-2013, 11:34 AM
What a warm feeling you must have had -- very setteling....................Debra

PaulaQ
03-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks for posting this thread Paula_56. I'm going to a therapist starting this week. It is a relief to hear that it helped you accept this about yourself, and find peace and inner balance. Given what I am feeling lately, I can't tell you how much hope this gives me.

Thanks.

NicoleScott
03-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Many girls I speak with have no interest in counseling or therapy and in fact, I am surprised to find some downright hostile to the idea. I can say that seeing a therapist has helped me immensely. Counseling for me wasn’t about cross dressing, but was about the pain and torment it was causing me. Mind you, it took therapy for me to realize this.

If others' crossdressing isn't causing them pain and torment, they may not see the need for counseling. That shouldn't be surprising.

pink femme
03-11-2013, 04:27 PM
That story was so warm and uplifting. I am so envious, you are a credit to yourself and I wish you every happiness in whatever the future holds for you
Pinkie x

Darla
03-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks so much for sharing Paula. I'm getting out of a relationship with a helpful therapist who frankly helped me by empathizing with my plight but could only offer the advice that my wife wouldn't accept this side of me (dusts off hands as I write a check). Okay. So now how do I deal with the next step of trading in a beautiful life for what I realize is part of me, one that I shouldn't be afraid of, and that's been there for me through good and bad.

So I have a call into a therapist who does specialize in gender issues, he sounds bright and proactive, and has a lot of TG experience. What do I want out of it? An understanding that there might be something deeper than just the crossdressing? Maybe a game plan with dealing with the pain I live with every day? The confidence to answer my spouse who thinks that I just need to grow up?

Thanks for the positive story. So inspiring and so good to hear a "it gets better" story.

Darla

Paula_56
03-11-2013, 06:03 PM
If others' crossdressing isn't causing them pain and torment, they may not see the need for counseling. That shouldn't be surprising.

That makes perfect sense

Ceri Anne
03-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Very inspiring story Paula. As you know, we have all been there so many times. I'm usually fairly outgoing and daring, but have been feeling a bit "shy" recently. Thanks for sharing.

kimdl93
03-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Paula, what a great testimony to both the value of empathetic and capable counseling and to the value of finally accepting oneself. In the past I've had those UPS moments too, and desparately rubbed off makeup and covered up as best I could to answer the door. Thank god those days are gone and I'm able to face the UPS person and the larger world

the key words for me, seemingly so simple, came when I admitted being a cross dresser to my psychologist. She smiled and responded in a matter of fact manner, "Its not a crime, you know." Just hearing someone else say those words was such a big moment for me.

docrobbysherry
03-11-2013, 10:01 PM
Paula, wonderful post for those considering therapy. However, you should be the one u we congratulate.
Because it was u who did all the hard work. Changed your attitude and changed your life!

Let me add to what Nicole said. While I've benefited from and can recommend therapy, I'm NOT u. I don't believe I dress to express the "someone deep inside me". Nor do I desire to dress to blend in with the muggles. I simply wish to be a CD. Nothing more. Nothing less.

And, if I thot therapy would relieve the guilt I feel from what I do, I'd make an appointment ASAP!

Leslie Langford
03-12-2013, 12:59 AM
Wonderful story and brutally honest in terms of your own self-assessment, Paula, but at the same time, very uplifting, inspirational, and affirming.

I can see a lot of myself in it and my own evolution as to where I am today in terms of accepting my transgenderism, but my path was somewhat different from yours. Yes, I did seek some counseling several years ago (come to think of it - many years ago, more like back in the late 1990's), and your description of how you finally summoned up the courage to reveal yourself to a stranger - in your case, a specialized transgender therapist - brought back to the surface so many long-buried anxious memories for me. In my case, it was a woman psychotherapist, and being the first person besides my wife whom I ever made this revelation to, it was also a gut-wrenching experience. I can't imagine how it must have felt like for you to be divulging this to a male, especially with society's constant demands on us to "man up!"

I actually went to most of the sessions with my wife, and remember - this was back in the semi-Dark Ages when there was still very little public discussion around crossdressing and transgenderism in general, save for some of the more enlightened talk shows of that era that were just starting to shed some light on the subject. These included the ones hosted by such people as Phil Donahue, Jenny Jones, Sally Jessy Raphael, Ricki Lake, Montel Williams, Rolonda, and Jane Whitney - to name just a few (Geraldo - fugeddaboudit!). So in some respects, an even higher hurdle to climb than today, when it seems that we have almost become media darlings (or objects of intrigue or fascination, anyway), given that you can hardly turn on a television set, open up a newspaper or a magazine, or even do a Google search without coming up with countless articles or "hits" on his topic.

Like you, I found these sessions to have been very helpful and enlightening, and I came out of my shell more and more over time as my comfort level in discussing these deep, dark secrets slowly increased. But what for me was the defining moment - and what crystallized in my mind the essence of the discussions - was when this psychotherapist said to both my wife and myself that my crossdressing was not some form of denial, self-indulgence, sexual orientation issue, or even a mental illness, but rather a distinct form of inherent gender expression and identity. In other words, not something a person simply did, but what they truly were, and what defined them to their very core.

This was like an epiphany for me, and suddenly all of the guilt and shame that I had felt over my crossdressing over the years took on a whole new meaning. I also began to see it as a form of unnecessary and self-imposed self-flagellation - aided and abetted, of course, by society's jaundiced view of this type of "deviant" activity. Mind you, it took years and years to shake off the last vestiges of that debilitating guilt and shame, but I'm finally there.

Unlike in your case, Paula, this clinical therapy did not stretch over an extended period of time, but I was still fortunate enough over the last several years to be able to go out in public in "Leslie" mode with increasing frequency and confidence, and to the point where this has become almost second nature to me now. And as you so rightly point out, it all comes down to attitude in the end, and the fact that no one has the right to dictate who we are (or should be) except for ourselves. Coming to this realization is not always easy, especially insofar as the resistance from friends and family that can often result from this goes, but it is something we have to do for the sake of our own mental health regardless of what the eventual outcome might be.

I was lucky enough to accumulate a whole group of female friends and acquaintances as I began going out as "Leslie" more and more, and as I began to interact freely with others on a regular basis. These have ranged from my favorite GG make up artist to various nail techs, SA's, consignment store owners, photographers, restaurant owners, and feature writers/authors, as well as numerous facebook friends. These ladies have been incredibly kind and supportive of me, helped "Leslie" to flourish, and more than counter-balanced the negativity that I continued to experience throughout from my wife - although that has moderated significantly over the last several months for a variety of reasons that I won't go into here (long story short - as "Leslie" began to blossom and come into her own, ironically, she also "grew a pair ;))

But the significant part here is that these ladies inadvertently picked up where my psychotherapist had left off years ago, and allowed "Leslie" to eventually come into her own to become the confident, self-assured, guilt-free and well-adjusted person that she is today. Again, very much the same destination that you eventually arrived at, Paula, but by a somewhat different route.

I do have a couple of questions for you, though, but please feel free not to answer if they make you uncomfortable:

- You mentioned that you feel far more at ease discussing your transgenderism with your wife now, but does that now mean that she has become more supportive and accepting of your transgenderism and crossdressing than she was in the past?

- Also, with your new-found sense of self-awareness, do you now see this as a precursor to eventually transitioning, as so many girls here seem to do when their crossdressing - even when it becomes all-consuming - still leaves them unfulfilled in the end? This is clearly an area where a qualified psychotherapist can be of invaluable assistance, and I wonder if your discussions have also touched on this possibility to determine if this is a direction that you might see yourself heading in at some point.

I've been starting to wonder about this with respect to myself as well lately, and frankly, I'm a little bit afraid of what the answer might be...

Paula_56
03-12-2013, 04:59 AM
"its not a crime, you know." just hearing someone else say those words was such a big moment for me.

bingo!!!!!!!!!!!

Paula_56
03-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Leslie clear some space in your PM in box I will send a repsonse

susie evans
03-12-2013, 09:06 PM
leslie

if you would like other info i would be happy to disscuss some of you conserns also , i have been married over 40 years and susie has been out and about in public for at least the last 20 plus years i to was very touched by paula's post and the honesty and sincerty she conveys

hugs susie

Newcdguy
03-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Oh I wish I could go to a therapist. But alas I cannot right now. So happy for you.
Hugs
Stephanie

Leslie Langford
03-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Whoops - my bad, ladies! ;)

Problem solved, and more space created in my inbox now. Feel free to PM me any time...I look forward to hearing from you.

Trishpdxcd2
03-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Great story. I had a similar experience, ripping my clothes off etc..It was interesting reading your story. I am still very much in the closet.

Maria S
03-13-2013, 11:02 AM
I cannot understand the need for counseling for CDers. Most, if not all that I have met love CDing and would not dream of needing it including myself. I love CDing and would not want to change. I can understand the need of counseling for TGs contemplating SRS, it's a big step with no turning back.

Maria

melanie206
03-13-2013, 01:11 PM
After I came out to my wife she suggested and I agreed that it might be good to talk to someone. So I began sessions with a woman who was primarily a sex therapist but also had great insight with gender issues. I stopped seeing her when she moved to another part of the country. For me, the greatest benefit of talking to a good therapist is learning to accept that the shame and guilt is really fear of what others think. Yes, consideration is owed to the important people in your life but, with the exception of your children, their happiness is not your responsibility. For those considering therapy and are blessed with a way to pay for it, the ability to be totally open with someone and the self-understanding that can be realized are very worth it. For those who are unburdened by negativity and already feel totally free to be who they are, cheers!

cdsara
03-13-2013, 02:11 PM
I am going to start with a new therapist tonight. I hope I like this one better. The last one was convinced if you cross dress then you must want to transition and had my head all screwed up. I am starting over tonight and not sure how bits going to go. My wife wants me to purge and quit and thinks the therapist will help with this.

suchacutie
03-13-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm so lucky. Tina suddenly appeared one day with the help of my wife. We were both startled but incredibly curious. It's been a terrific adventure we have shared every step of the way. Maybe she's my councilor! She's certainly Tina's advisor and best friend. I'm not sure what Tina would/could have done without her!

DaniG
03-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Such incredible stories, Paula_56 and Leslie Langford. Thanks for sharing.

I had my TG epiphany just this last December, 12/10/12 to be specific.

I was in hard denial. I had never cross dressed. But I fell in with a group of women online to whom my nature was obvious.
One of them said to me, "You should really transition."
I said, "What are you talking about?!"

And that's when the walls all came crashing down! I freaked hard for two days, then ran screaming to therapy. It took me three tries until I found the right therapist. She's not a specialist per se, but has plenty of experience, and a trans son of her own.

Therapy has been a lifesaver for me. Not an option. There's been so much going on upstairs as I make sense of my new life that I'd be crazy to try and navigate it on my own. I see her weekly, and I look forward to it every time. (due in 1 1/2 hrs matter of fact!) She rarely lends her expertise or insight to the conversation directly, but instead, guides me on my personal journey to conclusions that I make myself. I would probably get there anyway, but it's great to have her working with me. Plus, she's one of the only people who knows the female me, and that's a bonus. Insurance doesn't cover a dime, but she's worked with us on rates. I wouldn't give it up for anything.

Rachel Murphy
03-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Terrific read!

I've read it twice and will likely read it again.

Thank you so much.

Paula_56
03-14-2013, 05:26 AM
I cannot understand the need for counseling for CDers. Most, if not all that I have met love CDing and would not dream of needing it including myself. I love CDing and would not want to change. I can understand the need of counseling for TGs contemplating SRS, it's a big step with no turning back.

Maria

If you read my post I mention guilt and shame, those were my reasons,

Paula_56
03-14-2013, 05:28 AM
Terrific read!

I've read it twice and will likely read it again.

Thank you so much.

Rachel Thanks for the feedback its good to know someone is reading and that it was helpful

Maria S
03-14-2013, 07:43 AM
If you read my post I mention guilt and shame, those were my reasons,

Paula

Apologies, sometimes I get a little lost in the longer posts.

Maria

DanaM64
03-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Beautiful and enlightening story Paula, I find it amazing how different but yet how similar all our life stories are...

Congrats on taking that 1st step or phone call as it was, I remembah (<-Bostonian humor) mine oh so well!

Jocee
03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Thank you for sharing this. I found that counseling helped me to accept myself and put the quilt and shame at bay. Best thing that I ever did!

Sharon B.
03-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Went to one after my divorce twenty-one years ago, only problem he wasn't knowledgeable about cross-dressers or transgender. It was if I was educating him. Left there and never looked back figure no more than what he was doing for me I could walk in the park find somewhere to sit and talk to myself about my problem and come up with at least an answer as he never gave me one.

ronda
03-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Paula I just read your post for the second time today and got even more this time the the first time i to have had to deal with the guilt and shame and the number of times i have torn off my girl stuff in 30 sec flat i don't even want to try to count them the one time some one rang the door bell i undressed in 20 sec opened the door the person out side said i will come back another time when i looked in the mirror i still had my lip stick on talk about fear guilt shame running wild over you thank you Paula Hugs Ronda

ossian
04-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Thanks to Paula and Leslie, and to everybody for these insightful thoughts, comments and stories.

I am working up my nerve to call a therapist today that my wife found. I'm sort of feeling like I'm jumping into a car with no headlights and no brakes and it feels a bit scary to me.

Guilt, depression, fear and shame have been with me for too long. My wife and I have been married for 20 years and I came out to her a couple of weeks ago. I'm hoping to get acceptance from my wife through therapy, but more importantly get a handle on the depression and guilt for the way I am.

Thanks again for all the posts on this particular thread.

NicoleScott
04-02-2013, 11:42 AM
I am going to start with a new therapist tonight. I hope I like this one better. The last one was convinced if you cross dress then you must want to transition and had my head all screwed up........My wife wants me to purge and quit and thinks the therapist will help with this.

Wow. Two things wrong with this. First, the old therapist is wrong about crossdressing/transitioning. Good for you for dumping this one.
Second, if you seek counseling/therapy, it should be for YOUR benefit. Your wife's AGENDA seems to be what SHE wants (for you to quit) rather than your mental/emotional wellbeing. Does she expect the therapist to report to her your progress toward her goal? Not good.
I'm one of those who didn't reveal to my future wife that I crossdressed, erroneously thinking that my desire to crossdress would be replaced by a more "normal" sexual desire for her. When she found out, she wanted us to go to counseling, and I agreed. It was a husband/wife team, and we met both individually and as a couple. The problem was, I wanted the counseling to get her to accept my crossdressing, and her goal was for counseling to "cure" me. Doomed to failure from the start, and we ended up divorcing.
Maybe the wife needs counseling.