PDA

View Full Version : Don't know where to shop first!

Brittany CD
03-17-2013, 08:53 PM
So, I have a bit of a crossdresser dilemma. I want to buy a new wig because my blonde one is pretty cheap and not so great and my black wig is too short. But I haven't exactly decided on the colour I want. Keep in mind that I love wigs and like wearing them the most. Not only that, there's a dress I've been wanting to buy, but there's also some lingerie I've wanted to buy. It gets worse, I also need some more makeup. Basically, I'm a student on a budget and I don't know where to start. How would you deal with such a situation?

Brenda79135
03-18-2013, 05:19 AM
I would start with the basics. Meaning there will always be wigs and clothes to buy out there. The same for makeup. Makeup I consider basics. It is needed for any transformation. Set aside a little bit of your budget a month toward clothing but get the makeup first and save for the clothes.

Beverley Sims
03-18-2013, 06:07 AM
Wear the crappy blond wig into a wig salon and tell them you want to upgrade. Wear some suitable feminine attire.
They will accommodate you well, possibly help you makeup wise and send you on your way to buy a dress.
The lingerie can come any time later.
First you need money to buy a wig.

dawnk
03-18-2013, 08:30 PM
For inexpensive wigs, I've had good luck with Paula Young. If you see one you like and wait long enough, the price may drop to somewhere between 20 to 50% depending on the quailty. I wore one I paid about $50 for with a halloween costume and had to prove to two girls that it was actually a wig.

But where or what to buy first depends on what you feel you desire most. For me it was undies, a dress, then shoes. Undies were easy, a dress the right lenght was a little harder, but it was the shoes in my size and style that took me a while to find. Thankfully, in the last couple of decades, more sensible shoe styles have become available. 20 years ago, all you could find where thigh high zebra striped hooker boots. My advice is go with what comes to mind first.

~Joanne~
03-19-2013, 11:22 AM
First place you should start is saving because none of this is cheap especially a good wig or forms. Put a little aside each week instead of buying that MuckDonald's or whatever and sooner or later you'll have a nice little egg that will be ready to hatch ;) Then go to a wig store and start with your favorite. They will be more than willing to help you find the right one and trying different ones on will help you determine the style and color you like best :)

The clothes are the easiest :) Try some thrift stores, walmarts or a CW Price if you have one near you. Thrift stores are a crap shoot but the other usually have some very nice things at some great prices and you can build your wardrobe one piece at a time pretty cheap :)

For makeup, start with some of the kits they have out there. Don't buy the expensive stuff until develop your look. This is a great way to learn how to apply it, find the colors you like, and match your skin tone to cover up and such. Makeup is the part that can get real expensive real fast.

Most of all have fun :)

vikki2020
03-19-2013, 05:21 PM
One at a time is all you can do. Shop, and compare. Lot's of good deals out there. Vogue Wigs has some nice stuff, at decent prices. Forever21--or, JCP, and check out the clearance page. Make-Up is always on sale, and use the coupons! Ulta has a sale this week-- $2, $4, and $6, for the basics. And--a $3.50 off coupon,when you spend $10!

Terraforming
03-19-2013, 05:40 PM
No matter what you wear, hair and makeup are going to be an essential part of your look. I would start with one of those two first.

Tiffbear
03-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Amazon.

Thrift shops are good too, they don't judge guys buying dresses or stuff like that, they see all kinds of crazier people than you.

Target and walmart have cheap undies, as well as affordable clothes to get you started.