PDA

View Full Version : Questions on crossdressing.

Fara
03-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Hello everybody! I have a few questions about crossdressing since I am curious about this. :battingeyelashes:

Straight to the point :-
1.) Is it ever too old to crossdress? I mean I'm 23 right now but I'm waiting until maybe when I get my own house before trying CDing because I'm afraid my family would think weird things about me or worse disown me. :sad:
So is 30 too old to CD?

2.) I want to CD but I'm ugly. :cry: Should I even try? I think I will look like a clown if I CD. :facepalm:

3.) I am currently diagnosed with Schizophrenia, not because I CD, it's something else that goes way back. Actually I am not Schizophrenic, they just slap that on me because I am selectively mute and refuse to tell them why I stopped going to school.Doesn't matter I will talk to my physician next week about that, it's about time.
I don't know if my desire to CD is because of this thing they call "mental illness" or is it my true desire?
I've always wanted to wear a dress. It's just so beautiful, ah sometimes I wish I was a girl. :cute:

Sorry if this sounds weird, I'm not very good with words. I would also like to apologize if this topic exist before, I can't seem to find it. If anybody would be so kind to point me to the right thread I would be very grateful. :hugs:

JBPerry
03-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Fara, you're never too old to CD. When going out, be yourself....don't worry about what others think....If you always worry about that, then you will never get far. Regarding the mental issues....it may be but then again it may not. If you want someone to talk to, I or any of the other girls on here would love to talk. Reach 10 posts so that we can all PM (private message) you.

cdmorganashley
03-19-2013, 09:37 AM
hi well i have also been diagnosed with a mental illness but i dont think that wanting to crossdress or having gender issues means that you are mentally ill - that being said if you are constantly denying yourself something you want to do that will make you happy i think that can have a negative effect on one's mental state - i think if you are living at home you should be realistic about the effects dressing could have on your living situation but i would try not to get caught up in doing it or not doing it based on how pretty you think you are or arent or what age you are - if you ask me its really about doing whats going to make you happy so i would consider that first and foremost

Beverley Sims
03-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Fara, nothing of what you asked is weird to us here.
You are among friends.
23 is not too old to start X dressing, but coming out to family needs caution.
There are people as old as fifty on here X dressing.
Don't worry about your appearance if you are only doing it in private, it is when you want to go out you need to practice and present yourself tastefully.
As for subjects in #3 I am glad you recognize something is amiss as your physician will help you.

X dressing is not considered to be a mental illness either.
Your wish to be a girl and wear dresses is quite normal.
I suggest you post a simple introduction in the intro section as well.
After ten posts you will be able to send and receive messages also.

andrea lace
03-19-2013, 09:44 AM
If you have the desire to cross dress then do so. It has been proven that gender is not black and white there are many grey areas in between. Male is at one end of the scale and female on the other end most people are either one or the other. But some people live there lives between those lines and identify with being partly female. This is not down to mental health issues or schizophrenia. I can only speak for myself when I say I enjoy presenting as a woman from time to time but don't wish to be one full time. There is a huge spectrum of people that use this forum. if you feel the need to CD enjoy as life is too short.

Jenniferathome
03-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Fara,

Your questions strike me as someone looking for a hobby, like golf or bowling or knitting. Is cross dressing "in" you? Cross dressing is not a hobby, not a pst time and not something you "try" to see if it's for you.

Is it "in" you?

Barbra P
03-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Hi Fara and welcome to the forum. It is a general practice that your first post should be on the Introductions and Re-Introductions forum so don’t be surprised if this thread gets moved.

I don’t think 30 is too old to crossdress and I suspect that at least half, if not more, of the members here are 30 or older. Last year at a local TG support group there was a couple in their nineties and he crossdresses full time; I’ll turn 70 in a few months.

You may come across like a clown, but that pretty much depends on how you dress and act. Look around next time you’re out in public, not every woman is beautiful, pretty, or even very attractive. Many of the members here never step out of the privacy of their own home so no one sees how they look, no one knows if they look beautiful or ugly. Very few crossdressers can truly “pass” as a woman but many of us do go out and we do have a good time.

I’ve never read, or heard, that Schizophrenia is in anyway connected to any transgender condition, including crossdressing.

Wishing you were a girl is a thought shared by many of the members here.

One way to find out if your wanting to crossdress is a true desire is to put on a dress and see how it feels. You can probably find a dress that will fit you at a local thrift store. Be aware that this may lead to you then wanting to put on lipstick (and other makeup), women’s shoes (probably heels), panties, bras (and breast forms), earrings (pierced are best) and assorted jewelry, and let’s not forget a wig. Being a girl can get to be expensive.

Kate Simmons
03-19-2013, 10:53 AM
Hi, to give you some answers:

1. Guess not, I'm 65

2. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

3. "mental illness" is such a nebulous classification. It can be used by others as a convenient label for lack of understanding.

Work on being you and you will be happy my friend.:)

docrobbysherry
03-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Good replies above, Fara.

I suggest u try CDing when the opportunity presents itself. See if u like it and where it mite lead u if u do. If not, u can forget about until you're 50. When I started!

I hate the way I look dressed. However, if u wish to look good bad enuff, you'll find a way to change your look for the better. I did, anyway!

Tracii G
03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
All good advice so far.
Too old to CD? never IMO.
I'm no beauty queen but can pull off a decent female look sometimes.
You need to speak with your Dr about it.
I'm TG so both genders live inside me.Would that be an illness? I don't think so and don't like how so called experts say it is.
Don't get all hung up on labels and feel the need to be one label or another.The spectrum is wide and varied so its not a cut and dried one size fits all thing at all.
Some Dr's don't deal with gender issues so find a therapist that does and talk to them.
Just going mute is something you need to quit doing because its hurting you more than anyone else.Just my 2 cents on that.
We all have problems trust me and by you coming here shows you are at least willing to address the issues. Kudos to you for making the first step.
To reiterate learn to open up here and say what is on your mind we are all friends and won't judge you.
I'm sure there are some here that have been where you are now.
Remember you aren't the only one with the same issues.

meganmartin
03-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Lots of good advice.
No your never too old and looking back i closeted dressed in my teens wish i would have embraced it way back when. Think it would have helped me find who I was a lot sooner.

Vickie_CDTV
03-19-2013, 01:42 PM
As far as being too old, I met folks who were in their 90s who crossdressed (haven't met anyone over 100 who dressed, yet.)

Rebecca Watson
03-19-2013, 02:14 PM
1.) Is it ever too old to crossdress? I mean I'm 23 right now but I'm waiting until maybe when I get my own house before trying CDing because I'm afraid my family would think weird things about me or worse disown me. :sad:
So is 30 too old to CD?

I just read an interesting scientific article Prince and Bentler, "Survey of 504 cases of transvestism" (link (http://www.amsciepub.com/doi/abs/10.2466/pr0.1972.31.3.903)). They conduct a survey of transvestites, and here are the statistics with regards to age:

20% in 20's
34% in 30's
28% in 40's

This indicates that not only is 30 not too old, that more than half of the transvestites surveyed were aged 30--50. Presumably, this is a bit skewed, e.g., teenagers may be less likely to respond to the survey, but there's lots of 30+ year old crossdressers (including me).

- Becky

NicoleScott
03-19-2013, 02:57 PM
1. Never too old. You can start dressing at whatever age it compels you.
2. Dress and (if it compels you) make up as you desire. It takes practice to perfect your look, so don't be discouraged. If you are a "home alone" dresser, there are no rules, nobody to judge but you.
3. If you desire to wear a dress, by all means wear a dress. Use good judgement about going out or sharing your desires with others.
Enjoy.

Lorileah
03-19-2013, 02:59 PM
Since the article was published in 1972, I don't think your conclusions are accurate.

Those who would have been 30 in 1972 are now 70

Rebecca Watson
03-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Since the article was published in 1972, I don't think your conclusions are accurate.

Those who would have been 30 in 1972 are now 70

Oooh... interesting point. I suppose I've assumed that this sample was indicative of a larger population and the proportion would remain somewhat static over time. But, I'm guessing that's not entirely true. I wouldn't expect it to decrease, however; I suspect the internet would have played an important role in encouraging crossdressing.

- Becky

Daryl
03-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Fara your never going to be to old. I'm now 73 and have been CD'ing most of my adult life and will continue to do so.

PaulaQ
03-19-2013, 04:16 PM
2.) I want to CD but I'm ugly. :cry: Should I even try? I think I will look like a clown if I CD. :facepalm:

Darling - I challenge you to do the following. Go to any Walmart. Sit in the little cafe / fast food shop at the front of the store. Watch the women who enter and leave the store for about an hour. How bad do you think you'll look again in comparison to how some of genetic girls looked while going to Walmart?

As for looking like a clown - it takes time to learn to pull off looking like a woman. Your mom never taught you how to apply makeup, for example. And again - not to be too catty - but seriously, think about your observations at Walmart.

I've always wanted to wear a dress. It's just so beautiful, ah sometimes I wish I was a girl. :cute:

Me too! And I'm way older than you are! Before you get too wrapped about about exterior beauty - and I won't kid you, this is a tough slog for some of us because we just don't have the genes - consider what makes a woman a woman? Is it her appearance? Well, sure, that's part of it. But there's somethine else isn't there - something inside of her. Become beautiful inside, and everything else will follow.

I can't tell you how your parents will react. They are younger than mine, so odds are, they'll be more understanding. However, there is never any real way to know how anyone will react. They may not accept you, or they may tell you it doesn't change a thing, you're still their kid.

Best of luck

<3

Paula

Nicky63
03-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Hi Fara,
You're never too old, I,ve been crossdressing on and off for the last 30 years got the big 50 in a few months. Every time I get dressed up it feels so good and relaxing, so natural.
Don't wait till you leave home, as others have said give it a try see if it's really what want.
Its how you feel inside that's important, not how you think you look to others.
Give it a go...
Regards Nicky

shae
03-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Darling - ...seriously, think about your observations at Walmart.
Paula

Nicely put, Paula. The last time I went to Wally's World, I got "ma'am"ed...

shae
03-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Fara, it's never too late, but sooner is better than later. There's lots of things to pick up, cosmetics, fashion, comportment, and it's worthwhile to be a fashion geek. Life is too short to spend wishing you could do something; do it now! I'm having a blast with my life these days, and crossdressing adds a lot. Don't sweat the medical diagnosis, just learn to be yourself and the stress levels will normalize.

Loni
03-21-2013, 06:09 PM
as for age...i am only 53 and there are a number here much older than i am. even in some groups i have been part of there are ladys in to there 80's not sure about 90's?
never too young. never to old.

at 23 why still at home? money? that is a big problem for us all these days.
as for coming out to your family. that dear is the 64 billion dollar question. test the waters first. as in just talk, about a news story you read.
most moms will love a daughter, even if your came out in a boys body.
get to a gender counselor soon. start electrolysis soon.

most larger citys have resources to help you along the way.

by chance are you "close" to sacramento, ca.? (if so pm me and i can give you some web addresses to check out).
or portland, ore.? both citys are good for transgenderd.
as well as other citys.

you are young live live as you want.

MsJanessa
03-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Fara, nothing of what you asked is weird to us here.
You are among friends.
23 is not too old to start X dressing, but coming out to family needs caution.
There are people as old as fifty on here X dressing.
Don't worry about your appearance if you are only doing it in private, it is when you want to go out you need to practice and present yourself tastefully.
As for subjects in #3 I am glad you recognize something is amiss as your physician will help you.

X dressing is not considered to be a mental illness either.
Your wish to be a girl and wear dresses is quite normal.
I suggest you post a simple introduction in the intro section as well.
After ten posts you will be able to send and receive messages also.

and there are people older than 50 on here who crossdress--lol

Loni
03-21-2013, 07:27 PM
as for your first dress.
go to a second hand store and shop for a dress. were light clothing so you can try on the dress. YES they will let you and not give a care. they will not point at you and schreek, or laugh or any such junk.
i have not had any problems buying in drab or in-fem at any major dept stores. (and i have the cc bils to prove it) even (at there) request set up a dressing room for me.

life is fun so go out and enjoy