PDA

View Full Version : Hamming it up in front of the camera

Sophie Yang
03-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Most girls I know love having their picture taken.

How many here love hamming it up for the camera and why or why not?

Do you take your own pictures or have someone else take them? I take most of my own, but quite often someone will offer to take some for me.

Share some of your favorite photo techniques?

How often do you look at the pictures?

AmyGaleRT
03-20-2013, 01:25 AM
I don't know that I "ham it up" for the camera, Sophie, but it took me some time to learn to relax and enjoy myself when doing photos. These days, when I get dolled up and get in front of the camera with some music going, I just start bubbling over. It shows in the smiles I have in my pictures, which draw lots of compliments.

I use my iPhone as a camera, mounted to a mini tripod with a "Glif" accessory, and then stand that mini tripod atop a box on top of a small desk. The key is to get the camera lens higher than me. I use a camera app which can be set for a recurring 10-second photo interval with a "beep" countdown between each picture. I start the timer running, then step out in front of the lens and try a variety of poses. (I try never to pose full-frontal to the camera, but always angled to one side or another.) Later, I'll pick the shots that look best for cropping and publication.

I always drape the furniture around where the camera's field of view is, to keep from cluttering the field of view and, for instance, having an unsightly garbage can in frame. I use old white hospital blankets for this. Sometimes, I use a wooden stool or a desk chair to sit on in frame. Other times, I employ simple hand props, like a catalog or a bunch of artificial roses. (I tried taking a picture with me lying on the floor once. My fiancee forbade me to post it online, saying it was "too provocative." I didn't know I could project that much sex appeal! :o)

Music is important to my photo shoots. Usually I just set Pandora playing my "girly" radio station, though I've used specific CDs or MP3 tracks on occasion to set the right mood. Some of my pictures have me almost dancing as I pose.

I keep the shots that get "published" in a secure photo storage app on my phone. I do look back at them from time to time, though not really that often, except in the case of a new set.

- Amy

Terraforming
03-20-2013, 02:31 AM
In guy mode, I hide from the camera anytime it's pulled out. When I'm dressed, I'm in front of the lens as frequently as I can manage it. I like to take my own pictures, because I'm pretty picky about what gets seen,and I always touch up my photos.

As far as techniques go... since I just do portraits, there isn't a lot I can do. I do like to use rim lights in all of my pictures, though. I just set another light up behind me or on the side to light around my hair or body so I'm separated from the background. Doing other photo tricks I like to do is kind of hard since I take everything myself.

noeleena
03-20-2013, 03:39 AM
Hi,

I will do more when one computer works for me cant even do email's now , i have a lot of issues, & this round is worse than before, so my avarta is it for now,

I have a few on flickr i cant even get in there now, you can try its under noeleena Lochhead or noeleena edwina they are my names ( real ),

best i can do,

...noeleena...

I Am Paula
03-20-2013, 10:30 AM
I don't mind pictures at a family event, or on holidays, but I can't for the life of me figure out why so many people set up cameras, lighting, etc. to take a picture of themselves. If it's your thing, great, but I know what I look like. I see it in the mirror every morning. Just my $0.02-Celeste

Ressie
03-20-2013, 10:43 AM
I've been getting into taking photos of myself dressed. One reason is I keep getting more clothes and improving my make up, but honestly I'm a narcissist. I did ham it up last time making some funny faces! I use photobooth in my imac or a point and shoot camera I have. I crop every photo partly because my house is usually a mess.

diane51
03-20-2013, 10:53 AM
I certainly enjoy taking some photos when I'm Diane. It's important to be fully dressed and looking your best.
Sometimes the results are pretty amazing. :)

Beverley Sims
03-20-2013, 11:24 AM
I take enough casual shots of myself and only "ham" it up when I am in an experimental mood.

Kate Simmons
03-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Where did you get an idea like that Sophie? Me hamming it up for the camera? No, never! Yeah, right!:heehee::battingeyelashes::)

~Joanne~
03-20-2013, 02:55 PM
I try not to ham it up for the camera but I do try many different poses as standing stiff as a board looks as unnatural as the poses most of the time themselves.

For technique I usually try for a plain wall, or in front of a door or something that won't pin point anything. I try to use as much natural light as possible but if it's dark or hazzy, I flood the room with light, which might I add, heats it up to a point where you can't wait to get done. I am not worried too much about the edges of the frame catching anything as I crop and resize all my pictures using Paint Shop Pro 15. At which time if the picture is a little fuzzy or dark I try to sharpen or lighten them up.

Most of the time I take the pictures myself using a tripod. Sometimes though my SO will take the pictures for me :D she has a wicked sense of humor though and likes to catch pictures of things she shouldn't...like me pulling up my pantyhose, with full make up but without my wig on, a flash of my panties, and other assorted things. It's all in good fun though ;) She moves the camera alot though so mostly with the tripod.

I look at the pictures here and there, not really too often. I like to see how I am progressing in the make up department so I may compare new ones with older ones. I think My SO looks at them more than I do. She likes to critique them and I have no problem with that at all. Even then she doesn't too often. If I get 1 really good shot out of the 100+ I take in a session, I may show it to her but for the most part I try not to push this on her too often the same as I try not to dress when she is around. she doesn't have a problem with it but why wear it out?

Rachelakld
03-20-2013, 03:13 PM
always playing to the camera when in girl mode, I gernerally take my own, or have a shop assistant etc to help, don't even mind strangers although they pretent not to be taking photos