PDA

View Full Version : Altering Dresses

Emma Leigh
03-20-2013, 06:27 PM
6 months ago I could barely sew on a button...around then I aquired a large amount of dresses and skirts...although a lot of them fitted me....some were a little tight and some did,nt fit me at all. The dilema was do I just give them to the local charity shop or do I try to do something to make them fit me...I chose the latter option and although early efforts were not encouraging I think I have really began..by persistance...get the hang of these alterations. The 2 dresses pictured were quite significantly too small particullarly the spotted dress on which there was around a 4 inch gap when I tried to pull the zip together, the LBD was,nt much better. I achieved these results by obtaining similar material via ebay, opening up the seams and inserting new panels. I am really proud of the results and now I have acquired a large amount of satin material very cheaply and I am considering making some lingerie.
I would be interested to know what you think of my efforts thus far and am I alone in this???

stacycoral
03-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Miss Emma, both of your dresses look very nice on you girl, also i must tell your hair frames your face very nice, hugs.

docrobbysherry
03-20-2013, 07:06 PM
The problem, as I see it, Emma, is being able to operate a sewing machine. I do a lot of alterations. But, they were by hand. And, cheesy. I think if u can operate one, you're amazing!

By the way. If u have a Joann's nearby, their selection of material is excellent! If gotten a number of materials for my darts from them! (I think most men must need to add something to tite, not stretchy tops and dresses!)

Emma Leigh
03-20-2013, 07:57 PM
The problem, as I see it, Emma, is being able to operate a sewing machine. I do a lot of alterations. But, they were by hand. think if u can operate one, you're amazing!

By the way. If u have a Joann's nearby, their selection of material is excellent! If gotten a number of materials for my darts from them!

Yeah I have a sewing machine and I have learned how to use it..its an old industrial jobby that was my mothers...however the alterations on these dresses were done by hand..sometimes its better by hand

BLUE ORCHID
03-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Hi Emma, It's great that you are learning to sew it's amazing what you can do with a sewing machine.
Both dresses look fantastic on you.

I learned to sew in my very early teens well over 50yrs. ago and it has served me well over the years.

Janie {3
03-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Lovely. Just love polka dots.

Emma Leigh
03-20-2013, 08:29 PM
Lovely. Just love polka dots.

I have 4 dresses with Polka dots...dont know what it is ..but they are my favorites too...still have one to alter

Lynn Marie
03-20-2013, 09:14 PM
I've been sewing since high school. Just got a first class machine last year, a Pfaff. We're talking sewing machine heaven. Personally I don't see how you can successfully CD without being able to alter your clothing. Maybe some of you are perfect women's sizes. I darn near alter everything. So much fun.

debbeelee1
03-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Wow Emma, your sewing jobs look great! I admire and envy you! I have an old sewing machine sitting in the closet that I was going to try to learn on this winter; but didn't. It'll be a top priority next winter! I have been doing a lot of altering with hand sewing, duct tape, staples and super glue!

Ceri Anne
03-20-2013, 09:30 PM
very cool, I would love to actually make my own cloths, not just alter them. There are so many wonderful patterns to choose from.

Alice Torn
03-20-2013, 09:31 PM
Looks great! Good work! I have done a lot of sewing by hand on both my male and female clothes. One word, oouuch! Needle got me!

Kalista Jameson
03-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Your work looks great, Emma. Knowing how to use a sewing machine would definitely open up some doors to creativity for me. Maybe someday, I'll learn to use one properly. Tried in a home economics class in 1983, and messed up a hamburger pillow pretty bad. Be a good skill to have though for sure!

Great job on the dresses.

Kalista

Lisa Gerrie
03-21-2013, 04:08 AM
I bought an inexpensive sewing machine 20 years ago and have gradually become more competent. You can buy a surprisingly good machine for under $100 these days, and there are lots of decent machine in the $100-200 range. With all of the sewing videos that are available online these days you can learn the basics very quickly.

Repairs, reinforcements, skirt-shortening... It's all pretty easy.

Think of it as just another power tool and it will be less intimidating. :heehee:

Beverley Sims
03-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Emma,
Those dresses fit you.
There is a big difference between an off the rack dress and one that is tailor made for you.
It does bring out a certain elegance taking clothes in in the right place.

Trishpdxcd2
03-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Looks great Emma...I am impressed.

Chickhe
03-21-2013, 11:56 AM
Sewing machines are great! I'm not really in to 'sewing', but I use my sewing machine all the time to repair things (pretty sure the machine has paid for itself over the years). It's funny, my wife is scared to use it and I use it like any other tool, but if I tell most male friends that I used it they go all macho like it would make them gay to touch one (their loss). There are some great tips on youtube, I learned how to make a waterproof seam for a boat cover and I didn't figure out a good way to make clothing larger...smaller yes.

Emma Leigh
03-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Thanks to all of you for the positive comments they are really encouraging

I dont see why men would react that way Chickie....Jeremy Clarkson has used a sewing machine (badly) on a couple of occasions on Top Gear.....I am currently having a spot of bother with mine though which is why the dresses featured were sewn by hand...as I said its an old industrial unit and I had to work out all the features cos I cant get a manual....it was working great but now its like I cant seem to tension the thread correctly and it keeps breaking...any advise very gratefully recieved.....I agree there is lots of usefull advise on youtube..thats what got me started..has,nt helped with the current problem though

Jilmac
03-21-2013, 10:59 PM
The dresses look great, have you ever considered becoming a seamstress?

bridget thronton
03-22-2013, 01:47 AM
Very well done emma

Chickhe
03-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Emma, I had problems with tension before too. Don't know if its the same, but on mine the thread goes in this tiny notch under a spring which is adjusted by a little screw. To tension it, you hold the thread and the bobbin is supposed to stay put unless you motion it downwards and it will slowly drop. The top side is easy, it usually has a dial and to test it out, sew a piece of paper, there should be equal thread on top and bottom with the twist of the threads right in the holes of the paper. Search on your specific model and I'm sure there will be tips on adjusting it. ....as for the guys going ewww...the fact that you remember the guy on Top Gear says its considered unusual...but its a false belief because a lot of typical males use sewing machines...to mend sails, car seats etc etc....

Emma Leigh
03-22-2013, 07:00 PM
The dresses look great, have you ever considered becoming a seamstress?

Thanks would love too :heehee:

Its the the top tension I seem to be having the problem with Chickie...the tensioner doesnt seem to well erm tension but it was working fine before...I really need a manual...any ideas...my model does,nt even seem to exist when I Google it
As for remembering the guy on Top Gear....not really... my son watches the re-runs all the time..and I mean ALL the time