PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting started!

FelicityMay
03-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Since I am fairly new to being open about cross dressing, I have realized that my female wardrobe is extremely small and need to expand!

I have never payed too much attention to what I think looks good on girls, and am having a hard time figuring out what to shop for!

All the friends I've told about my secret are kinda weirded out with it, so I don't really have anyone to help me pick anything out.

I want to try all sorts of clothes, but honestly don't even know how many types of clothing there are out there! what kind of places could I go to just pile up on tons of different nice looking clothes without spending a fortune?

Also, what are all of the accessories that help with a feminine look? I don't even know how many different parts to makeup there are, and am not sure on how to shave everywhere. how many hygiene type products are there?

Any help would be great! I do get pretty shy when looking around for girls clothes, and really just don't know how to shop.

Thanks in advance :)

Tiffbear
03-21-2013, 08:03 PM
If you go to a thrift store and look through woman's clothing, no one will say a thing.

Girls like sites where they can make pretend outfits. One of which is http://www.polyvore.com. There are a lot of these online. Take a look around.

Go on youtube, watch makeup tutorials. That'll get you started.

Sucks your friends think it's weird, would have been cool to get some help from them.

Target and walmart are good places to get a basic wardrobe started too. Target actually has cute stuff too.

Emjay
03-21-2013, 08:42 PM
I've had pretty good luck at Goodwill. Target here actually donates a LOT of clothing to them when they change seasons. Last weekend I found 3 pairs of really cute Mossimo skinny jeans with the tags still on them! They had a lot too, as you can imagine when I went back a few days later they were mostly gone.

As far as being nervous shopping for clothes I've really never had anyone look at me weird or act like anything is out of the ordinary. Just relax and go look around. It did feel strange at first but anymore I just go get what I want.

I agree with Tiffbear, Target does have some nice stuff. Kohls does too, and they usually have a HUGE clearance section. I got a really cute dress from the clearance rack there last Friday for $10! .....and wore it out that night. ;)

Good Luck and have fun! :)

rayne75
03-21-2013, 08:44 PM
I think By far the best advice I can give for starting out is to know what your standard measurements are. you can go here if you're unsure.

http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Clothing-Measurements

You will have to know and have a couple thing's in order before you proceed. it's all about getting the best clothing fit and not looking constricted or having muffintop. You'll need a good measuring tape from the sewing dept at walmart or wherever.

I would suggest in investing in some padding depending on your body type. Because if you're tall and skinny like me you'll need it. If you have hip and butt pads put them on before measuring. If you don't have this wonderful accessory I would suggest ebay they're usually inexpensive. But be sure to measure carefully, and read all the sellers sizing information before placing the order. On a side note there are usually a lot of local fetish shops that can order these items but are usually expensive.

With padding out of the way you'll need to know bust size. So be sure you're wearing your bra and breast forms, or padding. If you don't have a bra you'll have to order one or buy one. there are instructions in the link for obtaining bra size. However, you will have to decide on cup size. that's a matter of personal choice. bigger is not always better, be proportioned. I'm personally a 36 C for being 6 foot tall is decently proportioned.

So once you have all of your measurements. As in Bust, Bra, Waist, Hips, Inseam, and even shoe size you're almost set. there are a few sites that offer a size conversion chart. like.

http://www.lauras-playground.com/size_chart.htm
or
http://help.next.co.uk/Section.aspx?ItemId=10154

A google search will give a ton of results. And going through the information on these pages will arm you with the information to go shopping. Be aware though the sizes are a great baseline but not gospel. For a beginner, well for me even now. One of my favorite places to look is a good thrift store. There are a lot of them around and quite often you can find really pretty stuff at decent prices. you can also shop online. Although I would not recommend shopping online at places like forever21 their sizing is very hit and miss.

Also If you're like me and lean towards wearing skinny jeans, and slim fitting shirts the transition is super easy. For example as a guy I exclusively wear size 10 girls skinny jeans and occasionally medium or large t-shirt (Content/pattern dependent). I'll often up the jean size by 1 size to fit my hip padding and keep the t-shirt size the same. However if that's not you're style. or the comfort level is not there to shop the women's department you can always order online. I would suggest at least one trip out to a popular store of your own choosing in guy mode, And at least try on a pair of women's skinny jeans and a t-shirt with the premace of a "rocker style change"this way you'll know an even better baseline of size for future purchases or until you have enough wardrobe to go out as a girl. If you're still apprehensive about it don't worry, the great part about shopping the women's department as a guy is generally the younger sales people are super helpful.

If you're still apprehensive about shopping larger popular stores and you've decided to try shopping online be very cautious about return policies.

Tracii G
03-21-2013, 08:54 PM
Goodwill or thrift shops and start trying things on is the best way,now go have some fun.
Look at what women your age are wearing and try to find those types of things.

Karren H
03-21-2013, 09:05 PM
No one ever said this was a cheap hobby..... first thing I'd do is up my VISA card limit..... thrift or clearance your about to spend a small fortune on accessories and jewelry and makeup and hair and personal care products not to mention clothing.....

JenniferR771
03-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Thrift stores are great places to begin. You will soon know your dress, shoe and bra size--for very little money. Buy a purse and some shoes, too. Know your size for when you go more upscale. At my local thrift, I have introduced myself to the girls; they all know me. So no problem trying things on. To avoid the crowds go at a slack time--rainy Tusday when they first open the doors.
And, even better...sometimes my favorite store has a couple wigs on sale. I made it my business to know what shelf they put the wigs on. Don't be afraid to ask. And my favorite store puts out about 20 wigs starting about mid-September for the Halloween display.
And this week I met another cd while shopping in the dress section. Its hard to know just what to say. I just held a dress up to my front and said, "What do you think of this?" I have met other cds same way three times in the last 6 years.

Jenniferathome
03-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Felicity, go to Macys.com or Nordstoms.com and just look at the models and the "outfits" that they display. It's all there from hair style to accessories to shoes, etc... Then go to the local City Creek Center and do people watching. What are the girls your age wearing? Go at different times to get a different view. Just pay attention

Jilmac
03-21-2013, 10:40 PM
A great place to start looking for clothes and accessories, would be a thrift shop like Goodwill. Most stores have locking dressing rooms where you can try on anything you like. I have even gotten help and advice from some of the people who work there. I understand your shyness but if you don't ask about colors, styles, accessories, shoes, etc. you might be wasting your money on something you absolutely hate. The first time is always the hardest, after that it's all downhill.

Beverley Sims
03-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Felicity,
Your signature tells it all.
No money, just starting out and only able to buy one article of clothing per week.
After a year you will have 52 pieces of assorted feminine finery.
I include makeup here.
Where will you be after ten years.
Build your wardrobe slowly and wisely and you will enjoy doing it.
Have fun in the process.

FelicityMay
03-21-2013, 11:08 PM
actually, to be totally honest, i have quite a large budget at the moment haha. i just dont know what to look for!
i do think its a good idea to just slowly build up over time though, considering you might change interests over time

Rachelakld
03-21-2013, 11:27 PM
In New Zealand, black cotton tights and a top (t-shirt, or light weight jumper) that sits just below the bum has been fashionable for a few years now and normally worn with flat shoes. Mini Dresses or mini skirts are also never out. I tend to shop at Supre ( www.supre.com.au ) or Glassons which have an online stores as well as outlet shops - these are mostly for young girls but I'm only 47 turning 18

AmyGaleRT
03-22-2013, 12:44 AM
Felicity, if it helps, there's a good article in Glamour magazine: 10 Wardrobe Essentials Every Woman Should Own (http://www.glamour.com/fashion/2012/08/10-wardrobe-essentials-every-woman-should-own). Here's a quick summary:

Plain white tee
Black leggings
Ballet flats
Skin-tone-matching cami
Black cardigan
Classic pumps (heels)
Dark denim jeans
White blouse
Little black dress
Classic black pants

But do go read the article, which has a number of different pictures of these items so you can get an idea of what's available and what you might like. The idea is that these pieces will go with a lot of different things.

- Amy