PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo! I did it!

makin' it real
03-24-2013, 01:09 AM
I finally went out for the first time fully as Rachel! Makeup, clothes, shoes, hair - It was all there!

What a fun night. Went to a fundraiser for the Billy DeFranK LGBT Community Center in San Jose. Dinner, drinks, dancing, drag kings and queens, along with a wide variety of gender-queer folks. The party was hosted/sponsored by a friend of mine, which gave me permission to be more comfortable in a "come as I am" way.

I had so much fun! I talked with a lot of people without any concern about my usual male voice. It was just chatting, after all. I talked with a couple gg's for most of the night, and one of them managed to get me out on the dance floor (for the first time in many years) with very little encouragement. What a hoot being able to sway and slink my hips around without worrying whether the way I moved was okay for a guy. It felt wonderful!

I got to meet my friend's SO, made a couple new friends, and even caught a few admiring glances from a couple guys and a couple good-looking drag kings. As I was leaving, I was astonished and felt gladdened when a couple of the people I'd been talking with earlier made a point of coming outside and catching me to say goodbye and set up future contacts.

A couple in a neighboring parking lot exchanged pleasantries with me as I made my way to the car. I think I'm still seeing stars.

MMMmmmm, yum.

~Rachel

p.s. Several people complimented my hair, which is all mine, with one saying it gave me a "sexy librarian" look. I was thrilled because I was going for a casual look and am totally an academician! Yay! The boobs and hips are mine too, while the waist received some help from a Squeem waist cincher. I have curves!!!! And I used them on the dance floor!!!!!

Persephone
03-24-2013, 01:12 AM
What a wonderful evening, Rachel!

Thanks for posting about it.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Beverley Sims
03-24-2013, 01:25 AM
Rachel,
The first time out is always the most memorable time.
I am glad yours was a happy experience, a memory you can treasure.

Rachelakld
03-24-2013, 03:55 AM
Good to know people treated you well, I reckon you'll be out again soon :)

S. Lisa Smith
03-24-2013, 08:03 AM
What a wonderful night out!!! Glad you had a good time!!!

Krististeph
03-24-2013, 08:06 AM
Excellent! Great for you! Sounds like a wonderful time with friends in safe environment. Would that we could all do that.
:-)

Bree Wagner
03-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Congratulations Rachel! That first night out is an amazing event you'll treasure forever. It gets easier from this point on too. Even if there are occasional bumps in the road I bet you'll roll right over them!

I'm so glad you had a wonderful time.

-Bree

stacycoral
03-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Wow girl sounds like you had a dream come true, you must really had a wonderful time, thanks so much writing and tells us all about it, hugs.

genevie
03-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Congratulations. Nice to know there is a place and an event like that. I live two blocks away. I could walk there if I ever went outside. Not gonna happen. But nice to know it's there. Well done. :)

Barbara_Jean
03-24-2013, 10:32 AM
What a Great Story!! I'm glad you had a Wonderful First Time Out!!

allesha10
03-24-2013, 12:18 PM
I am so proud of you girl, I wish I was as brave as you

AllieSF
03-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Welcome to the club Rachel. I am so happy that you finally made it out "officially"! Now as your confidence builds let me know,m because there are many things to see and do in SF as Rachel.

makin' it real
03-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Aww, thanks y'all. I appreciate your kind words. It was a heck of a lot easier going out at night to a closed off venue where only people of like mind were gathering. Going out in the daytime or mixing with the general public is a whole other kettle of fish. Even with all the acceptance and support that I knew would be there, I still had a serious case of fear that very nearly kept me from showing up. I'm so very glad I did get out, and I still think I'll keep to the known safe environments for the next few outings.

YES! There will be more outings!

~Rachel

So funny! I'm heading out to meet some friends for drinks and couldn't find my money clip. Then I remembered: It's in my purse!!! That was too fun. Had to share. (Grins)

Bree Wagner
03-24-2013, 10:47 PM
So funny! I'm heading out to meet some friends for drinks and couldn't find my money clip. Then I remembered: It's in my purse!!! That was too fun. Had to share. (Grins)

Been there, done that! I absolutely couldn't find my keys after going out one night and spending the next day at home. It took me a LONG time to realize they were still in my purse.

-Bree

NathalieX66
03-24-2013, 10:52 PM
Yay! You did it. Congrats.

It is not as hard as you think.

You will also realize that folks are more tolerant, and accepting than you think.