PDA

View Full Version : Vocabulary question

Kimberly Renee
03-25-2013, 02:34 PM
It's been said that women use different words or use words differently than men. [-]TG[/-] Transitioning tutorials (I am not [-]TG[/-]transitioning) say to work not only on a feminine voice but also feminine vocabulary. I have yet to find any online resource that reveals what words are preferred when presenting as female. All I find are jokes to humorously explain what women mean when they say ...

Do any of you know of a resource/guide on which words women use? Thanks in advance.

suzy1
03-25-2013, 02:39 PM
I’m sure you are right Kimberly but I have never noticed?

I will read the replies with interest.

Kate Simmons
03-25-2013, 02:50 PM
It's mostly a mind structure thing. It takes time to re-route neural pathways even with HRT. If we put ourselves in a woman's life situation we perhaps get a clue. The key to most of it is becoming a good listener and becoming empathetic more than anything. Everyone has the capacity to do this but it's hard for men to listen to their feelings for the most part. Just be patient Hon.:)

danielleinbr
03-25-2013, 02:53 PM
I dont know that is so much vocabulary. That can vary greatly between geographical regions. There seems to be a great difference on how gg women use words though. One example comes to mind in the way a woman gives and understands directions. In my experience women tend to use landmarks while men tend to use road names and numbers. I dont know about a specific resource. I have always tried to be a wallflower and listen sometimes. Watching and listening to others is the greatest teacher
Danielle

Lorileah
03-25-2013, 02:58 PM
I don't know, since even on this site where we are all in the boat we use vocabulary differently (TG is not the same as TS, if you crossdress you are a TG)

flatlander_48
03-25-2013, 03:06 PM
It's been said that women use different words or use words differently than men.

Interesting. I'm also curious as to how this works. If you had asked my 10 minutes ago, I would have said that there is often a degree of imprecision that I would associate with women's speech. It's like using the correct name or term is less important than conveying the thought. Of course the flip side is that it tends to drive men up the wall...

Kimberly Renee
03-25-2013, 11:25 PM
I don't know, since even on this site where we are all in the boat we use vocabulary differently (TG is not the same as TS, if you crossdress you are a TG)

Duly noted and original post edited to address this.

Actually found a different search term "feminine communication". I guess fem-speak is more a matter of style than words. Relationship building as opposed to information gathering. On the other hand, men will say "gut" while women say "tummy". These are the word differences I'm looking for.

Jenni Yumiko
03-26-2013, 05:11 AM
My gender therapist (female) refers to tg as an umbrella political term that represents all not the right sex binary classifications. Trans, to go, gender, other side of gender spectrum. Transsexual, to go, SRS or some type of physical reassignment, hrt, plastics, etc. transvestite, to go, vestus, dress or clothes. Oddly enough she thought I fit as a crossdresser. I need to ask her to define that. I'm assuming it means lingerie, no real feeling or need to pass, or if she's using the word interchangeably with TV.

Sophie Yang
03-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Kimberly -- Check out Deborah Tannen's books:

You Just Don't Understand
Women and Men in Conversation,

Thats Not What I Meant
How Conversational Style Makes or Breaks Relationships

You're Wearing THAT?:
Understanding Mothers and Daughters in Conversation

Talking from 9 to 5:
Women and Men at Work

jandebs
03-26-2013, 08:38 AM
this is surely a vast topic!

Maybe guys like to talk more objectively about things and consequently like to use precise technical terms, to give weight to what they're talking about. Women are perhaps more subjective in conversation, in the sense that things are talked about in relation to how they're affecting us. That last sentence took me ages to finish! I couldn't make up my mind whether to write 'us' or 'them'. Which kind of illustrates the point.

Anyways I'm sure these are massive generalisations. And I was going to write 'Anyways these are massive generalisations' but the female bit in me thought that was a massive assumption and so I added 'I'm sure' to suggest it's just my view.

God, this is major deconstruction.

What I have noticed though is the tendency for guys to make comparative lists about everything! What's the best rock band? What's the best car? Somehow everything has to be measured, again to reach some consensus on the objective truth. I blame Nick Hornby. Ever since he wrote 'High Fidelity', about two guys working in a record store endlessly building lists: the top ten motown hits etc., it feels like the media has been binging on lists...

Beverley Sims
03-26-2013, 09:25 AM
Women and men can talk in the same conversation and they are not necessarily on the same wavelength.
They do have to tune each other in from time to time.
That is fact and not much levity there either.

Ressie
03-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Women are more likely to use the word "pathetic" it seems. Tummy would refer to her stomach. Her husband has a big gut! All women are different from my view and vocabulary varies from other demographics.