PDA

View Full Version : Any runners out there?

ossian
03-30-2013, 12:14 PM
I run year around. During the winter I wear black runners tights and fleece top with several layers underneath.

I have worn a contour male vest as one of the layers under the fleece top, but this like most man mode clothes is uncomfortable. http://www.contourmd.com/Style-11-Male-Vest-Contour

What do you wear?

I've been running for years with the Hind Animal Sprint spandex short. Sadly though I've had a hard time finding a replacement for this aging workhorse.

Also, for long runs I've given serious consideration to women's runners bras out of practicality, i.e. bloody nipples, chaffing ect. And I want to be true to my fem side. But due to the next paragraph, I will need to be discrete about this and wear it under a T-Shirt or something.

And one last question, how many people been hassled while they run? For example, about once a year I at least get one or more of the following, somebody honking a horn at be, throwing a beer bottle at me, yelling fag out the window. You get the picture. I'm not prancing, I wear dark colors, black, blue, grey, but I have a fairly decent body and I think that when they see that i'm not a chick they do a double take, then the hassling starts.

Thoughts? Comments? Advice?

Beverley Sims
03-30-2013, 01:00 PM
I usually jog for exercise, no serious running, I do wear shorts and a top when running though.

Persephone
03-30-2013, 01:01 PM
I'm not an aggressive runner, but I do run/walk several miles around my neighborhood on a regular basis and I am always en femme, bra, forms (they add a whole new dimension to running), lipstick, hair in a pony tail through a cap. The only times I've been "hassled" so far were by a little old man (Click here for the backstory) (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?135317-Mystery-Solved!-Now-I-Have-A-Problem!&highlight=pepper). After all of that I started to carry a prominently visible bright pink pepper spray dispenser.

Hugs,
Persephone.

FelicityMay
03-30-2013, 01:25 PM
I run the 5k fairly frequently around my neighborhood (1 lap around my block), but havnt tried it in femme sports wear yet.
Don't worry too much about getting hassled... I live in a nice neighborhood, and I still get honks and flip offs etc. and I've never even gone out as a girl!
People will be jerks no matter what you do, so just ignore them :)
I did the run 99 times in 2012 and probly got mocked or called out maybe 15 of those times. I don't even give them a second thought any more

DarcyAnne
03-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Use Body Glide for any chafing when running. Works like a charm.

Alliegirl
03-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Use Body Glide for any chafing when running. Works like a charm.

I've never gone as a girl, but as a marathoner what DarcyAnne said is the truth. Also, taping up your nipples (bandaids or medical tape) works for me. If you're going to wear a womans sports bra under a shirt, make sure it's not a tech/mesh type shirt. Also see if you can see the "printing" of the bra through the shirt. As sweat starts accumulating I'd imagine that gets worse. Just my thoughts.

As for throwing crap/honking I've had it happen. I've also had honks and wave from girls in the summer with my shirt off. The idiots who throw crap or whatever I just ignore and think, "eh they just hate their bodies and are jealous that I'm out here doing something healthy." :)

ossian
03-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks everybody for replies, I'll look into the body glide. I'll try pasties, ah I mean tape! ;-)

Maybe someday I'll feel comfortable enough to go out with a running bra. There is always next winter........

Erina
03-30-2013, 06:20 PM
I didn't run that much last winter, but I got back into running this February.
I don't wear any female clothing during. But I think that running is fun and I wanna run a marathon!
Great seeing other runners at this forum!!!

cdinmd206
03-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Back when I was serious runner my standard attire year round was a pair of black Haines tights and either a red or black satin thong over them and a cool max T shirt that was long enough to cover my back end. In winter I wore a jacket over the T shirt. Most of my running was on back trails at a local state park. When I ran in a 5/10k event I would wear regular Lycra running pants, however they did not give me near the muscle support that the tights did.

Jocelyn Quivers
03-31-2013, 08:09 AM
When running I have this extremely focused intense fierce DO NOT INTERUPT ME I"M RUNNING LOOK!! So I'm usually never disturbed, even though I'm in male attire most of the time. I do occasionally wear women's sweat pants because Wal-Mart seems to always have an abundance of size L-XXL men's sweats and hardly any men's size small. So I have to buy the women's sweats just because they are the only size that wont fall off me. When wearing the women's sweats maybe people know, and are giving me weird looks and comments. I don't care because I've usually downed a several pints of ice cream the previous night and there are only so many hours in a day to run it off!!

JaytoJillian
03-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Working out is something I ONLY do in guy mode, but most would classify my gym/running gear as effeminate (but not to my face, LoL)-- During the Winter time, it's black Asics running tights and a form-fitting long-sleeved moisture-wicking tee, my i-pod and maybe a hat and gloves if it's really cool out. Summer time, black Spandex shorts, no shirt if it's super hot.

LoriFlores
03-31-2013, 02:15 PM
I don't think the harassment while exercising is necessarily directed at the clothing. Runners and cyclists occasionally become targets of high schoolers or even soccer moms. Its typically when they are in a larger motor vehicle.

As for clothing, I always wear women's clothing except sometimes the running shoes are men's. I have found that a sports bra can be just the added layer needed in cooler weather by keeping the chest area warmer without adding a lot of bulk.

While running, and depending on the weather, I wear full length tights, capris, or compression shorts along with long or short sleeve tops.

johnboy23
03-31-2013, 06:20 PM
I love running. I just posted a pic of what I wear while running. I always run on greenways. People seems to be more considerate than people in cars. People have more courage in cars than they do in person.

tall2826
04-01-2013, 03:30 AM
I go out running often and I wear guy clothes I not bold enough to head out in public with women's clothing I run outside and I am always running different routes I make it up as I go. But wearing a sports bra like you said would be really neat to try.
I have been hassled all too often while running I get he classic "Run Forrest Run", I have had people trying to scare me by hoking there horn as the pass, The police stopped me once and I almost got into a fight with people just yelling obscenities at me for no reason.

Lilly Black
04-01-2013, 05:11 AM
i'm a beginner runner as of this past new year. it's pretty gruesome but with the help of my 5k runner app, i've managed my first run of twenty minutes without stopping. my persistence is also partly due to the cute grey leggings with pink piping i wear as they give me extra incentive to keep going! and when i'm at the gym, i pretty much always wear women's shorts. really, they're so similar to men's it's not a big deal. besides i think i'm down a dress size!

CalvinKlein
04-04-2013, 06:04 AM
Have run 5k, 10k 8 mi and Half Marathon, but never in femme! I do have a pair of custom reeboks that are black, lime green and hot pink! would love to try the new VS VSX line.

Kerrimog
04-04-2013, 07:26 AM
I like cross country and obstacle running - lots of mud and things in the way. As most of my running is offroad I don't get hassled much, and when I do get heckled I'm generally not listening anyway.

Attire-wise, trail shoes, running tights, compression top and/or t-shirt with runners' hat and gloves depending on the season. I tend to think of running gear as being fairly similar for men and women so don't really worry about how I'm presenting. Though I did once run Nettle Warriors in a team dressed as schoolgirls.

Loni
04-04-2013, 09:35 AM
wish i still could..knees have given up. arthritis is a bitch. then the accident..bad back.
when spring gets here (time allowing) need to back on a bicycle. have two (older) high end bikes just rusting away. one a mt bike full boinger, other a skinny tire.
trying to do short walks..about 3 miles. used to do 15-20 no problem. (and this is not on flat ground, i live in the hills).

as for the "fools" even bicyclist get their share of them, age not required from 15 to 60. (offenders that is)

CindyM
04-04-2013, 09:41 AM
I do 5 to 15 miles a week. (5miles at a time). Great for keeping up my grrlie figure. I don't worry about what I look like when I'm running. It's how you look later after getting dolled up that matters. I dont run to look good while running. I run to look and feel great later.

NurseSamGG
04-04-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm a GG but I could not pass up a chance to respond to this post. I'm a runner I have ran in 4 full marathons and numerous mini's. I've run Chicago, KY Derby, Marine and in Houston. My times have ranged from 3 hours 26 min to 3 hours 57 mins, depending on the course and climate. My worst time was in Chicago it was well over 90 degrees that day and they ran out of water (wtf how does that happen, no water) when I hit mile 19, it was brutal but I finished.

I run in only Mizuno's as they support me the best I'm on my 18th pair since I switched to them and I'll never run in anything else again. My sports bra also very important to me for the obvious, and though multiple trials and multiple poorly supporting sports bras I have found that Under Armour works the best for me. And to respond to the OP much less nipple chaffing by far. My running shorts I truly have no preference on. And I must have my music....I listen to some pretty hard rock music as I found that helps me keep pace the best. Such as Five Finger Death Punch, Disturbed etc to name just a few.

As for the hassling yes has happen on more than one occasion unfortunately. But I am safe I don't run alone at night and I stay in public areas when I run so people are always around. There will always be those jerks out there to contend with! So ossian hold your head up high and do your thing girl, just go baby go!!!

Xoxo....Sam

JamieTG
04-04-2013, 03:00 PM
I wear womens Nike running shorts but they look like they could be unisex. They have pink ones but I'm not that brave. Also wear womens running pants in the winter. They are a little more snug but have enough stretch to run comfortably. I've never had any problem with people driving by in cars.

sophieh67
04-06-2013, 09:26 AM
I run around 50 miles a week mostly in the evening after work so 50% of the year its dark!.. I have though about running in girls stuff but even if i looked half decent at the start of the run I would be a pool of sweat and make up at the end of the run!

Rachel137
04-06-2013, 11:38 AM
I walk/run 15 miles a week. I always wear womens tights with thong, sports bra or regular bra under my layers of clothes. Sometimes I wear my forms with the bra.
It is very exciting to go out like that. I am 5'11" and 155lbs and look very thin and nice in my womens tights. It makes me feel sexy even though I am pushing it a little it makes it more exciting to get out there.
I workout on a walking trail and never get bothered. I do notice that women seem to say hi a lot to me.
Just dress in what makes you feel good.

Alana Wests
04-07-2013, 09:12 AM
I love to run! I've never done it en femme, and prefer to wear as little as possible whilst doing it. I sometimes imagine myself as Alana bounding down the street with flowing hair and black capri tights, maybe a pink sports bra.

the company CW-X makes some superior compression gear, for anyone interestred in upping their comfort and performance.

Running coupled with stretching helps keep my legs looking pretty good as a fit man or woman. Also winter running demands base layers, which are more effective without body hair ;).

Alliegirl
04-07-2013, 09:52 AM
To the girls that run in thongs, do you get chafing in the back? I run in boxer briefs and after a while without glide I get bad chafing. I would think a thong would be even worse. Is that not the case?

ossian
04-07-2013, 10:41 AM
This has been a great thread! I've learned a lot from everybody.

Allegirl. I've been running with a thong for years under my running gear. No panty lines! As far as chaffing in the back, I've trial and error'd this one to death. What I've settled on is actually Men's Clever mesh thong. The wide semi non elastic strap keeps the junk in place with no chaffing in back, even on the long hot mid summer runs. I'm still trying to find a solution for friggin hammered bloody nipples after sweaty runs in the summer. Nipple scabs, calluses are just plain wrong. Humm... on second thought my feet look like runners feet.... argh!!!!

Three years ago I did switch to Merrell Barefoot Run Trail Glove, nice yellow color! For a year I did try the Vibram 5 finger running shoes, but after a few instances of snagging and breaking my little toe on various objects; I've settled on the Merrell shoes. There were a few unanticipated benefits from this switch, my skinny calves bulked up from running on the balls of my feet as opposed to the heels. And my knee pain went away and mileage went up! I would miss running if I had to give it up.....

DarcyAnne
04-13-2013, 05:26 AM
I'm catching up, i missed all the runners responding, very cool to see all the runners and a cyclist :) I hope someone is still reading this thread.

NurseSam, I know which Chicago marathon you're talking, how could it ever be that hot at that time of the year? Even the water when it was available was just very warm. Our group was a bunch of first timers for a marathon, so we paid the price. Running shoes have relatively a short life span, so I know how you can go through 18 pairs.

Loni, keep moving! I picked up a mountain bike and still have my older reliable skinny tire road bike, nothing like having the cross training and what a break from the aches of running. It's hard to choose someday whether to ride or run, depends what I have coming up on which I do. We do a popular 7 day ride here across the state each summer and we cooked here last year. We saw steam rising off the blacktops when it rained, we literally felt more heat rising up on those roads then coming down on us.

Lily Black, nice job girl. It all starts somewhere, and you've started something now.

I go out very frequently in women's gear, albeit minus the shoes since I can't find any, plus I'm picky about shoes too like NurseSam, but I have some colorful laces to go with them. I much prefer the comfort of the women's running shorts and then Target's sales on their workout clothing is the best. I agree too with Lori, a sports bra can be perfect on cooler days for just the right layer for warmth.

Tall2826, why did the police stop you? I've never had that happen.

It's interesting to hear how many people have been yelled at. I only happen once on a long training run, on a very little used gravel road, I just figured it was a farmer who was taking out his frustration of having just sold his sheep at market. I run roads and trails, and I agree with the trail runners here, it's just easier running without the cars and people don't hassle you, in fact the women are friendly towards me when I'm in cute clothes. I haven't worked out how to do eye makeup that doesn't sting after a few miles so that's left behind now, any ideas there?

Who has found the best way of getting their clothes to smell fresh after a workout? Those wicking, dri fit, tech clothes hold bacteria which give the odor that lasts through normal washing. I've had to resort to bleach which works like a charm and doesn't discolor the non-cotton clothing at all and has brightened them back to looking new. I tried the Sport Wash type products and found it a waste of money.

hmerkin
04-13-2013, 07:38 AM
I like to run, always trying to run from myself! Kind of of sad, but my girlfriends' clothes fit me! She recently won an award at her company! She asked me to attend. I attended as her long-lost cousin in a bridesmaid dress - proper lingerie, tights, full make-up and high-heel 4 in. black patent pumps! This was the best!