PDA

View Full Version : Looking for "safe" places

VirtuaGrl
04-01-2013, 11:37 PM
I know that "safe" is a relative term, especially for us girls, but I am looking for places in Colorado that would be tg friendly than others to convince my wife it would be okay for us to go as she is adamantly opposed to us going out because she fears for my safety.

I hear that BJ's Carousel on Broadway has closed. Is there some other place that has replaced it as catering to the tg/cd crowd? Any suggestions for the Denver Metro Area?

Thanks!

alejandra
04-01-2013, 11:55 PM
I kinda miss Denver...well granted its been like a year or 2...but charlies was nice...its kinda like a bar setting....it has a drag show....then theres tracks...its more of like a nightclub version...not sure if anyone here is into rupauls drag race or whatever but one of the contestants used to DJ there..not sure if they still do....anyway hope that helps..gets you started in right direction

Eryn
04-02-2013, 12:09 AM
Safety is determined by several factors. If one can blend reasonably well it is far safer to go out in a mainstream mall than it is to seek out "TG friendly" venues like bars. Getting to and from the bar and the fact that alcohol is involved increases the chance of a bad outcome.

My wife was also very concerned that I would be accosted or humiliated. That hasn't happened and we now go out often in all sorts of situations. Shopping, theater, fairs, concerts, dinners, shopping, etc. are all no problem.

Yes, I know I said "shopping" twice. I like shopping. :)

Lorileah
04-02-2013, 12:21 AM
Not to sound too bad but BJ's was a dive. Other than being a place for TG's to pick up guys....No great loss

There are plenty of places to go and most of Denver is safe. Most restaurants are friendly (as long as you dress appropriately) many places in the Golden Triangle are welcoming. As far as bars, Hamburger Mary's has the T crowd now. There is the X Bar, Charlies and the Black Crown. I go shopping at Cherry Creek and Broadway. It is all in how you present. Dress to look good and not like a Goodwill exploded and Denver is welcoming

I Am Paula
04-02-2013, 10:26 AM
IMHO- Getting all dressed up, and then hanging out with CD's is like being in the closet, but with people around. The 'real' real world is a safe and interesting place.
Try a museum, or a dolphin show. Try this...Toss little bits of beef jerky to the hillbillies at Walmart, and they'll do tricks. With patience they will eat out of your hand.LOL. Enjoy yourself, and I hope your SO finds out how easy it is to get out and about.

Karren H
04-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Seems like a "safe place" won't over come "adamant " on a good day.... just sayin

Lynn Marie
04-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Seems like a "safe place" won't over come "adamant " on a good day.... just sayin

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

DianeDeBris
04-03-2013, 07:35 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum, i guarantee you'll enjoy it and learn tons. As to getting iut and about in Denver, I second what Lorileah has written. Also, you and your wife will do well to check out TSK, the local chapter of Tri-Ess. Hugs - Diane

nhlighthouse
04-03-2013, 07:39 PM
What flavor "Beef Jerky?"

IMHO- Getting all dressed up, and then hanging out with CD's is like being in the closet, but with people around. The 'real' real world is a safe and interesting place.
Try a museum, or a dolphin show. Try this...Toss little bits of beef jerky to the hillbillies at Walmart, and they'll do tricks. With patience they will eat out of your hand.LOL. Enjoy yourself, and I hope your SO finds out how easy it is to get out and about.

VirtuaGrl
04-03-2013, 09:42 PM
Not to sound too bad but BJ's was a dive. Other than being a place for TG's to pick up guys....No great loss

I totally agree. I only went there a couple of times nigh on 15 years ago, but it was one place I knew would be safe to go without worrying about adverse reactions from the patrons.

I'm much more interested in going out into the real world or some version of it. I have typically avoided going out with large groups of other cd'ers because while alone I am more likely to pass, there's no faster way to get clocked and draw unwanted attention than in a gaggle, ya know?

My biggest thing now is simply convincing my wife that the real world is reasonably safe and that we can manage without incident. It's a shame this part of my life is a secret to our friends in the outside world as doing a "girls night out" would probably be the absolute safest way to go as a group of women just out enjoying the night. :)

Sarasometimes
04-04-2013, 07:31 AM
I go to hair and nail salons away from where i live. I have more friendly pleasant salons than money to spend at them. Many may say they are welcomming me for my money but I have had so many great interactions with other clients as well and to date (YMMV) no negative experiences. I do let them know my situation when i book my appointment. If I go with a GG (only happened once) I didn't bother to share and all was fantastic. I think this may be a place your wife would feel welcomed and secure. Plus you will be treating her to her pampering of choice!

Michelle (Oz)
04-04-2013, 07:45 AM
What's with the chicken avatars Eryn and Lorileah? Should we with real photos (assuming that you aren't chickens of course) be concerned with privacy issues?

Jennifer in CO
04-04-2013, 07:56 AM
it really depends on how you present. If you "pass" well (meaning present confidently as a woman), then go where you please. If not, then most places (resturants, shopping, etc) in Cheesman Park or Lo-Do will be pretty safe.