PDA

View Full Version : CD/TG & Drag Queens. Couldn't come up with better title.

Kristyn Hill
04-02-2013, 09:02 AM
And do not want to offend anyone. After stumbling on RuPaul's Drag Show Twitter last night, I went into the photos and I just do not see any of us on here emulating the Drag Queen look. I see so many more attractive girls in this community.

Drag Queen make up is so different and the hair, so, so different. I guess Drag Queens are for entertaining and stage ready which calls for the dramatic styles.

Are any girls here that present themselves as a girl also participate in the Drag Queen Field? Just Curious.

Kristyn

Veronicatally
04-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Hi Krystyn and thanks for the post. I've some thoughts to share on this.

Now that I'm going out dressed on a regular basis. (twice a month) I'm going to a lot of trans/cd friendly spots in LA. Also going to just gay friendly places. Actually in LA CDs can go just about anywhere. It's such a creative and understanding city in that way.

There are "drag" shows at some of the spots I visit. Usually it's an event at midnight. The drag look definitely has its place and it seems like a more theatrical statement of camp. It's a "show." It's much more outrageous and flamboyant. I've not met anyone in the CD community that embraces it as a regular style of dress. The gurls I meet are all trying to look their best and find their personal style that fits their personality and body type it seems. We're all trying to fit it to a degree.

The drag queens are a different breed. They're more about putting on a show and they usually are. Two completely different approaches. Just my experience.
V

Kathi Lake
04-02-2013, 09:22 AM
I'm sure there are some, but I do not count myself among them. Why? Well, I see drag as more of a caricature of women, rather than emulation. They emphasize female features in an over-the-top manner, that seems to appeal to men's idea of what femininity is. Of course, some go the opposite way, and call it feminine illusion. That is more my style - trying to look like a woman as much as possible. For me, it's so I am not noticed when I go out. If I went out as a drag queen, I feel that I would be spotted instantly, and would be sending a message different than the one I wanted to.

Kathi

darla_g
04-02-2013, 09:45 AM
Drag queens first and foremost are performers. They are intending to be over the top and the term Kathi used caricature of women and i would agree with that.

The only exception and whose style i kind of like is a German performer by the name of Sheila Wolf. I like her style.

Lorileah
04-02-2013, 10:46 AM
Why is miss Wolf a DQ? See this gets into labels again. If a DQ is a parody, then the photos above aren't DQ. One term not used here is FI (female impersonator). This was a popular art for years ago. The idea was to look like the ultimate woman (or a specific woman) without the excess makeup or sequined gowns. Shows like Frank Marino's in Vegas don't spend a lot of time on the parody but more on matching the entertainer they are emulating. While his shows have been called "drag" by the press, I think it is more classy.

docrobbysherry
04-02-2013, 11:09 AM
I agree with Lorileah. We may not have many DQ members. But, most of us aspire to be the best FI's we can be!

Lynn Marie
04-02-2013, 11:17 AM
Great response Lorileah. I've never cared for DQ's (like the Blizzard though) but female impersonators truly impress me. Sort of like the way CD's who dress and transform well impress me.

My favorite Female Impersonator, Madison Lane

darla_g
04-02-2013, 11:24 AM
I called Sheila Wolf a drag queen because that is how she self-describes (this is on her own and she performs in a burlesque show in Berlin). I think anyone is due the courtesy of being referred to in the manner in which she/he wishes. I thought that is what this web site is all about. Not saying "well No i don't think she qualifies because she is not over the top enough". A bit dismissive don't you think?

I think we automatically think of Drag Queens to be over the top, but i have seen drag shows in Vegas where the performs were just trying to emulate a woman and I would not say as garish as some.

Kristyn Hill
04-02-2013, 11:28 AM
all very good and informative post that I agree with. I like Female Impersonators better as well and Sheila Wolf is one Hot Mama! We are all FI's for sure. I was lying awake and stumbled onto RuPauls Twitter and it just hit me that we, here, do not go over the top for the most part. My rational now after reading the responses thus far is we are not putting on a show or we are not here to entertain but just opening our hearts and minds revealing the true person we have always been. Offense was not a motive here. Just pondering out loud. Thank you for hearing me out.

larry
04-02-2013, 11:39 AM
I was so excited to see Ru Paul had a show. She is such a beauty. I would love to be trained by Ru. Now for the bad part--I always click off the show when "The performers" turn into (Bitches)" That ruins it for me and now seems to be the biggest part of the show. Just saying--- IMHO..

Ressie
04-02-2013, 11:42 AM
To me, a great deal of the members here are beyond crossdressing and have crossed into female impersonation. Crossdressing is just wearing female clothing in my view but adding makeup, wig, jewelry with the intention of being passable is female impersonation. When female impersonation is exaggerated with extra long eyelashes, heavy makeup, big hair etc. you got yourself a drag queen.

Drag queens aren't trying to be passable. They're entertainers.

mikiSJ
04-02-2013, 11:52 AM
If I could offer up an art analogue, most of us would prefer to be the woman in a Vermeer painting ("Woman with a pearl necklace" http://tinyurl.com/cgqbwd9)
than the woman in a Picasso painting ("Weeping woman" http://tinyurl.com/c39d7vc)

Paula T
04-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Sure doesn't look drag queenish to me. The gal from Germany I mean, just looks plain out and out PRETTY

Beverley Sims
04-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Dressing as a drag queen you are going for a more ostentatious look.
I have been more accepted at a party dressed ostentatiously more so than when I dressed conservatively.
Guys can joke with a drag queen, but they werevery unsure about me on occasions.
In order to break the ice I had to become the life of the party.
Being extremely introverted as I can be sometimes???????
I do not find it hard and I enjoy myself making guys squirm, if they have a macho attitude, and I have the support of others.
That is what drag queens do.

Kate Simmons
04-02-2013, 01:18 PM
I don't do "drag" per se but do love to perform in shows and entertain others as Ericka.:)

LilSissyStevie
04-02-2013, 02:46 PM
I love drag queens. The more outrageous the better. DQs don't parody women, they parody femininity. What is femininity? It's the rules, regulations and expectations that are imposed on women ultimately by men just as masculinity is the rules, regulations, and expectations imposed on men by men. Drag queens get the joke, crossdressers generally don't. One of my current favorites is Prince Poppycock (John Quale). How do you classify him? He's not a Drag Queen but it's some kind of drag. He doesn't parody femininity, but rather effeminacy. LOL!

Lorileah
04-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Drag queens get the joke, crossdressers generally don't. There was a joke? Like a minstrel show maybe?

DonnaT
04-02-2013, 04:22 PM
A bit off topic, but I wonder why many of the clubs have their drag acts around midnight?

Cheryl T
04-02-2013, 05:50 PM
DQ's are over the top stage folk. They are the ultimate image of a woman, just as the Playboy and VS models are in their way.
We on the other hand aren't for the most part seeking all the attention that those gals are and we are just being us.

LilSissyStevie
04-02-2013, 07:06 PM
There was a joke? Like a minstrel show maybe?

If there is any parallel with minstrelsy it would be with CDing. The purpose of blackface minstrelsy was to enforce racial stereotypes and many CDs seek to enforce gender stereotypes. For instance, how often do you read on this board of CDs complaining that women aren't feminine enough? Drag makes fun of gender stereotypes, after all most DQs come from the ranks of feminine gay men and are the victims of enforced gender roles. Seen in that light, it is obvious why so many CDs hate drag.

Kristyn Hill
04-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Great points Ladies. I do not hate drag but just truly noticed how different the genre is recently. I do believe most are feminine gay men. I am glad I said something on this topic. Hope we get more comments.

Kerrimog
04-03-2013, 12:38 PM
I used to perform as a drag escape artist, but really I was TV performer more than an out and out Drag Queen - my publicity had to have the word 'drag' in it though, in order to sell the act. Though I did the odd rugby gag, mostly I was pretty non-threatening by drag standards and the physical nature of the act ruled out the more over-the-top elements of the drag image.

The website watermarked on these images no longer exists, but there are videos still up on Youtube and Myspace if you're curious.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/qskerry/helenheld/frontpic.jpghttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/qskerry/helenheld/theatresj.jpghttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/qskerry/helenheld/helensaw.jpg

Jaymees22
04-03-2013, 01:38 PM
No, But I think I could be the "Drag Queen of Denial" for thinking I'm normal, Ha Ha...Hugs Jaymee

Ressie
04-03-2013, 03:35 PM
I would say that being "in drag" and being a drag queen are two different expressions. But no one here seems to use the term "drag" for cross dressing in general. Maybe the term has become slightly outdated?

Do a google images search for "in drag" compared to "drag queen" and you'll see a big difference!

Tilly Vega
04-03-2013, 05:32 PM
To me drag queen is a term used only when you perform in or host a drag show. Kind of like you can act in home made videos,but until you actually start acting classes,getting head shots,auditioning,etc your not really an actor. Oh my god dont even bring up RuPauls drag race!! I have such crushes on Jinkx Monsoon,and Ivy Winters!! Realistically I wouldnt look to drag queens for my style, just because I'm aiming for early 80s post punk/new wave look,but I still love me some drag queens :)

Rogina B
04-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Last Summer,I spent a day at the Salem, Mass,Gay Pride parade as part of a busload of "dragons" from Northern Nights nightclub in Lynn,Mass. Even when not on stage,these girls are a hoot and certainly over the top. I was the only blendable Tgirl on the bus and in the street handing out "trinkets". All attention was on these girls and they worked it.Then they did a quick show on the stage at the Salem Common for hundreds of onlookers,and we were back aboard the bus for a cookout at the club. So,I hung with most all of Boston's dragons and I think they are a great group. However,I prefer to be ladylike and blend in..lol

Bethany_Anne_Fae
04-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Years ago I woprked with a group of Drag Queen performers, the problem was that I kinda kep[t a natural look to my performances and I didnt lip sync. Yeah, I can really sing lol, but apparantly that upset my fellow performers so much so that one of them put gum into my wig one evening. After that, iw as done working with drag queens as a whole. Now, I have severl who are my friends, but my first experience kept me from seeking out others.

Bethany

flatlander_48
04-03-2013, 09:49 PM
There are probably very few people who emulate drag queens in everyday life. Over The Top usually doesn't play to well in the mall or the grocery store. That said, being a drag queen is about entertainment and performance and there is no real place for normalcy.

Barbara Ella
04-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Yes, they are different, they are entertainers and they want the attention drawn to them. i give them so much credit, that they can do it so well and maintain a high degree of femininity. I cannot do that,and would not want to attract attention as that is not who I am. I will say that there are some who can wear the same style of heels though.............lol.

Barbara

Kristyn Hill
04-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Good comments Ladies. Barb, You know I can wear the highest of Heels and Love it. Good to see you comment. thank you.

JamieG
04-04-2013, 12:00 PM
My wife and I have performed together in an annual charity drag show a few times. There's a local pro who always host the show. On stage she's a bit vulgar, but quite funny. But before and after the show, she was so nice to us and not crude at all.

Last summer, I went to a Gay Pride celebration during the day in the middle of a park. A lot of people brought their children to the event. Among other things they had a drag show. When the kids would bring dollar bills to tip the queens, it was so sweet. You could tells the queens were thrilled; they would hug or high five the kids. It really humanized them for me.

Sure, there may be some drag queens who are nasty people, but for many of them, the "diva" is a character that does not reflect their real personality.

NicoleScott
04-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Like crossdressers, DQ's and FI's are men wearing women's clothing and makeup, but it could be argued that they are not really crossdressers but rather performers in costume, unless, of course they are driven to crossdress even when not performing. But certainly crossdressers are not DQ's in general.
My idea of FI's are men who impersonate CERTAIN women (celebrities, such as Cher, Barbara Streisand, Joan Rivers are pretty commom objects of FI), not just women in general.

Kristyn Hill
04-09-2013, 10:34 AM
I do not dislike DQ's just really analyzed what a different sub genre it is. I agree with you Nicole on the FI's. Perfect Examples.