PDA

View Full Version : Fem voice?

Nicolesmyth
04-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Curious to know if you ladies always use your fem voice when dressed? What about around your SO? I'm thinking about coming out to my wife but not just yet. Just trying to get my ducks in a row too.

Tracii G
04-03-2013, 10:57 AM
My femme voice isn't much different from my regular voice just a pitch or two higher.

Gwinnie
04-03-2013, 11:01 AM
I don't have a fem voice. My regular voice sounds like a radio dj. Hard to talk in a different way. Of course right now it's hard to talk at all. Stupid cold, flu, plague thing.

Trishpdxcd2
04-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Well I am closeted and not out to my wife but I do use my femme voice when dressed. I could see how that could be an issue with a so. If I came out to my wife, I probably wouldn't pull out all the stops right away. When I dress I want to be as feminine as possible in both voice and mannerisms...not something I would expose to a so right away unless she enjoyed the whole idea....unlikely.

Kate Simmons
04-03-2013, 12:22 PM
This seems to be a concern for many that comes up every so often. Personally, I talk the same in either mode. No one cares really.:)

Kerrimog
04-03-2013, 12:22 PM
By femme voice, do you mean:

Mickey Mouse Falsetto - maybe when singing or performing, but never seriously. The pitch difference between the sexes isn't as large as people think.
Slightly Softer, Less Gruff - probably without even thinking about it. I'm a loud bugger when I'm not careful, so this can only be a good thing. I wish I could drag up for all my social interactions! :)
More Sing Song - Never, not my style. Though I might well open up the nasal twang a bit - I tried practicing with Tenessee Williams monologues back when I was exploring my femme voice for performance.

In answer to your question, probably yes to the middle one, but if she caught me doing either of the other two my s/o would happily laugh me out of the room.

carhill2mn
04-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Yes, I always speak in a "womanly voice" as I can when en femme.

Beverley Sims
04-03-2013, 01:08 PM
I do not overdo it with the wife but I certainly speak in a softer timbre when out.

Geena75
04-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Sort of caught between extremes. Deep male voice or hokey falsetto? Both sound wrong when dressed. Tried a sort of Lauren Bacall whisper as a compromise. Not much need, though. Don't talk to myself too much.

AmyGaleRT
04-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Yes, when I'm en femme, I do naturally tend to shift to Amy-voice. My pitch goes higher but not too high, my volume softens, I try to shift my pronunciation more to the front of my mouth, and I tend to use pitch variations for emphasis over volume variations. There are other things, too. I rarely curse when I'm being Amy; Amy will say things like "Good heavens!" when my male self would probably say "Holy s***!" or something like that. Also, when Amy laughs, she giggles. None of this feels strange to me as Amy.

Occasionally, when driving and an appropriate song comes on the radio, I will sing along with it in Amy-voice, just for practice.

- Amy

FelicityMay
04-03-2013, 09:23 PM
I pretty much only know my low guy voice right now...
Kinda want to start working on a fem voice, but i feel so weird talking like that right now XD

tiffanynjcd24
04-03-2013, 09:27 PM
my girl voice is very horrible lol is like if i talk in a girl voice ppl would laff

Tracii G
04-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Its not that hard really just practice and speak from the upper part of your voice box.
Males talk from the bottom if it girls from the top.Get used to doing that and you will find your femme voice.
It will be a softer version of your natural voice.
Don't get too high pitched and you will sound like Minnie Mouse.

tiffanynjcd24
04-03-2013, 09:37 PM
Its not that hard really just practice and speak from the upper part of your voice box.
Males talk from the bottom if it girls from the top.Get used to doing that and you will find your femme voice.
It will be a softer version of your natural voice.
Don't get too high pitched and you will sound like Minnie Mouse.

One time when i did that i accidently did sound like minnie mouse, other times i sounded ok

Rachel Morley
04-03-2013, 09:41 PM
I use my femme voice all the time when I am out in mainstream public places but when I am am at our TG support group's socials and dinners I am having such a good time that I "forget" about my femme voice and drop back into to male voice a lot. Oh well ... I guess I need to spend more time "in the zone" :)

Tracii G
04-03-2013, 09:44 PM
TG meetings I use my reg voice for some reason LOL.

Eryn
04-03-2013, 11:57 PM
In public I use my femme voice which is a bit higher pitched and I try to resonate in the sinus chamber.

Like Traci, when out with my CDing group I go back to my male voice. When in a restaurant with a dozen ladies ranging from 5'10" to 6'6" (before heels, and we do wear heels!) there is no chance of passing anyway! :)

Rogina B
04-04-2013, 06:09 AM
Like others have said...Who are we fooling ,anway? It is one thing in a store or restaurant,but to carry on an extended conversation in a bar or club,usually other things have given us away by the time a conversation happens. I have been with some TG's whose voice sounded more like they were mumbling,which only called more attention to themselves. Keep it all light and cheerful,and that's good enough for me!

Michelle (Oz)
04-04-2013, 07:30 AM
Sadly no femme voice - on my buckets list though. I try to talk softer and friendlier to make a connection and generate a warm response. It works.

I decided some time ago that the world of a CDer can be lonely and if I am to enjoy my world then I need to get beyond worrying about my male voice. In most circumstances I don't hesitate to communicate when out. Given I don't pass, then I suppose it simply reinforces an honesty.

Bottom line - I now thoroughly enjoy my outings and have made some good friends.

TeresaCD
04-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Sadly no femme voice - on my buckets list though.

Me too, wanting to at least learn at some point.

Maria S
04-04-2013, 09:17 AM
I do not use a "special" fem voice, there's no point. Both men and women have various different sounding voices, some women have more manly and vice versa. I concentrate more on what I say with perhaps a little softer and slower, nothing too hard to think about else it would spoil the enjoyment for me. I do not swear or use terms more that a man would use.

Maria

Loni
04-04-2013, 09:21 AM
have tried to get a better sounding voice. takes time and some work.
but as another has said getting over a "cold, sick, plage thing. so even my male voice is way off. the wrong way.
and trying to turn a deep cough,gag,choke into a female one...

not.

CindyM
04-04-2013, 09:48 AM
That is a good question. I feel goofy / pretensious trying to do too much with it. However I noticed that my voice gets softer anyway. I realized it at Burlesque rehearsal whenI accidently blurted something in my normal man voice and all the girls looked shocked. I switched immediately, almost involuntarily and could tell it had an impact and they liked the softer voice better. Up until that moment I didn't even realize I automatically change my voice just a little.

Rebecca11
04-04-2013, 11:10 AM
I have tried, but feel a little funny right now.

Trishpdxcd2
04-04-2013, 11:14 AM
I might suggest googling "finding my female voice" and Calpernia. There are a series of videos that are very good for help with finding your female voice.

stephyX
04-04-2013, 11:21 AM
im not looking forward to trying this,but i need to try it though

suchacutie
04-04-2013, 11:56 AM
A girl in a video on YouTube that presents ideas for generating a natural feminine voice made that statement that she worked to change her voice because it was simply incongruous to have a deep male voice when everything else was being presented as feminine. She then talked in her male voice to make the point.

It really is not difficult to shut off the bottom (base) part of the male voice. I practiced driving to work for a few weeks and easily settled in to an acceptable easy-to-reach voice. I found it a lot harder to learn how to use the vocabulary, and how to make inflections without that deep base set of tones I'd used all my life.

So, for Tina it just makes sense that she doesn't want to hear our male voice coming from her lips. After working so darned hard to transform, she wants the voice to go along with it. It did take time to learn to use her voice in all situations. I'm sure if I had known about Tina before having decades of "male" experiences this wouldn't be so hard, but I'm getting there! :)

CutieKylee
04-09-2013, 06:02 AM
what i did was i recorded my self speaking in my fem voice. then played it back. cause hearing it sounds differently to other people than you hear it. then judging off the recording you can fix what what needs to be fix. go grab a cheapo tape recorder and just practice. my voice isnt perfect but it does not raise any eyebrows either when i speak.

jules
04-09-2013, 07:34 AM
When I'm in few mode I have to talk with a little southern accent. The reason is the new newfoundland accent I have it sounds weird it sounds like someone kicked me in the buckets. :)
When you go out pay action to some of the women talking. Some of these girls sound just like men:)

jules
04-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Newfoundland accent. Not a new newfoundland accent. I'm a newfie so it's not new I've always had it.
Stupid phone.
Just had to clear that up:)