PDA

View Full Version : True story and I'm still crimson

NurseSamGG
04-04-2013, 11:30 AM
I am a health care provider and in my line of work I meet many interesting people. And on the VERY rare occasion I meet someone who is Truly Fascinating!!! Yesterday was that day for me! I wanted to share to lighten things up and hopefully bring a smile to those who choose to read my post.

I had a brand new patient on my schedule late afternoon recently for reasons I can not disclose due to privacy protection laws. Anyways, it is standard just in about every medical setting to obtain some history. As I entered the exam room I found my patient to be an attractive, middle aged woman who was dressed in very good taste. I introduced myself and her to me. I began my routine history taking as normal.
"I understand your here today for blah blah how long has this been going on, what if any medications do you take, and are you allergic to any medications. ..etc. .." this went as smooth as could be no long list of medications or allergies to really note.
So, I moved forward with my medical interview on to what we call the Review of Systems, in the medical field. I asked multiple questions and noted down any complaints or abnormalities she had to report on each major organ sysytem.

I get to reproductive (If you are sly you get where this is headed, apparently I am not that sly...LOL.)
I ask "Can you tell me when you last menstrual period was." Her reply was simply "Oh, I don't have one" I nod my head an say "Oh, ok are you post menopausal then?" Again, very eloquently she reponds with a smile "Oh, honey I don't have those parts" I move forward determined to get my history and I smile back and ask "I understand so then can you tell me when was your hysterectomy?" She then looked at me smiled even bigger and with a wink dropped her voice and chuckled replying " Well, haven't had one of those either but does my vasectomy count?"
I think I turned every shade of red possible :o and since I am a little witty I quickly respond back with "Alright then I guess we'll just leave the PAP and stir-ups out of this exam then." She beamed and laughed and replied with"My dear you are a delight and to answer you yes I would greatly appreciate it if we did leave that part of the examination out."
She honestly warmed my heart and my cheeks :)
About an hour or so later she returned with a bouquet of flowers for me:love:
And said "This is from one lady to another, you are truly a doll, I have never experienced any Doctor to be so kind and considerate of me as a woman or as a person." I beamed at her and said "I was truly my pleasure and I have never had a patient make me blush as you have darling."

Sometimes the most ordinary of days can turn into the most extraordinary! I was truly blessed to have this lady walk in on my day and brighten it. She was a true gem. And the best thing is I have gained a patient who can feel free to be herself with her health care provider!

On a very brief side note I am a true professional and uphold Doctor-Patient confidentiality in the most highest regard. That being said. I did a patient call back today to this lovely lady to see how she was feeling. And I asked her at the end of the conversation if she wouldn't mind me sharing our encounter, without any identifying information, as it truly lightened my heart. She laughed and said "My dear how could I even think to deny your request, I trust that you would not give away my identity, and yes please do share." She said " I myself am still smiling over it, I think your laughter is almost as good as you medicine!" I explained I wanted to post this story on a TG friendly site and she said "That's even better"
I don't know if she is on this site or not but if you are my dear please message me, you are a delight to know!

Xoxo....Sam

Kimberly Michelle
04-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Way COOL! Both people handled themselves in a splendid manner, and you NurseSamGG deserve a reward not only for being so professional but even more for being an exceptional person!!

Beverley Sims
04-04-2013, 11:46 AM
I think it is wonderful when we can take a lend of each other like that.

Jillian Faith
04-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Truly a lovely story, thanks for sharing!

PaulaQ
04-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Sam, you are awesome!

boink
04-04-2013, 11:54 AM
What a great little story. Always good to see a situation like that handled with goodwill and a little humor :)

carhill2mn
04-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Thanks for sharing this lovely story. It is very encouraging to know that there are people like you in the world!

Kate Simmons
04-04-2013, 12:14 PM
I really enjoyed you sharing that Hon. You are a beautiful lady in your own right, red cheeks and all.:battingeyelashes::)

Amanda M
04-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Made my day, Sam!

RonniCD
04-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Sam, you are such a sweetheart. If only healthcare had many more sweet souls like you! XO

Barbara Maria
04-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Way COOL! Both people handled themselves in a splendid manner, and you NurseSamGG deserve a reward not only for being so professional but even more for being an exceptional person!!
Yeah.And not only for that,but for that great comeback.Rodney himself wouldn't have thought of that!!XOBarbara

Launa
04-04-2013, 03:30 PM
A very nice story.

TeresaCD
04-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Hope for us all..

steftoday
04-04-2013, 04:30 PM
What a great story, Sam. It's awesome that you handled it the way you did,; you made a patient comfortable and probably a "repeat" customer... :)
Who knows, maybe she turns out to be a friend as well.
You're awesome. :)

Roberta Lynn
04-04-2013, 07:51 PM
A great post Sam. What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing:)

Ashlyn Brooke
04-04-2013, 08:17 PM
That's an awesome story Sam. Thank you for sharing it. I too am in heathcare but work as a nurse. I've wished I could find a doctor that I could work for as a woman but probably will never be that lucky. Again, great story!

Barbara Ella
04-04-2013, 08:58 PM
A wonderful story about/from two wonderful people. It would be truly marvelous if everyone could be as kind and thoughtful as you, Sam. I hope you made a friend. At the least you made what might well have been a worrisome encounter into a life remembrance for you both.

Barbara

MissTee
04-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Were only there more like you, sweet Sam. Our lives would be so much more fulfilling. Bless you.

MysticLady
04-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Sam.................Youre a wonderful human being. Do you have a sister thats avaliable:heehee:. Just kidding. Great story:)

Leah Lynn
04-04-2013, 09:27 PM
A new hospital is being built in our little town. Would you care to relocate??? (j/k)

Leah

Marleena
04-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Great story! I hope I end up with a doctor as cool as you when the time comes. It's obvious you made her day.:)

RenneB
04-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Sam.... you are truely a professional and a great human being. I really enjoyed your story and hope all your days go well. You certainly made her day. We are all blessed that you have chosen to be a part of this site....

Renne......

Kelly Smith
04-04-2013, 11:13 PM
That's a delightful story Sam. Having read your post, it's impossible not to like you:)

PattiAllison
04-04-2013, 11:22 PM
Dear Sam, thank you for sharing this story! I wish that you were my doctor! I am fortunate to have a very good female doctor, but I have not had the courage to go to her as Patti. She seems to be open minded, so someday I will do it. Knowing that there are beautiful people like you in healthcare is very comforting.
Xoxo....Patti

UNDERDRESSER
04-05-2013, 01:09 AM
Oh! That's made my day Sam!

Your patient sounds like a good one too! When you next see her, maybe, ( if your lucky husband agrees ) arrange a date between the 3 of you as friends? Or 4, if she has a partner?

Please, if you can, keeps us updated with any further meetings.

suzanne
04-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Sam, you're the greatest, or at least in a several-way tie for greatest. I wish for everyone here to know the joy of meeting someone with your grace and charm. And you saw first hand how much appreciated you are.

DonnaT
04-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Cool story.

Might have to update the history form and ask a patient if they have a transgender history, before getting to the reproductive history ;)

Robinkay
04-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Sam, you're the greatest, or at least in a several-way tie for greatest. I wish for everyone here to know the joy of meeting someone with your grace and charm. And you saw first hand how much appreciated you are.

I second this !!!!!!!!

Tink
04-06-2013, 06:19 AM
Wonderful. And put a smile on my face for the day. I hope my boyfriend has someone like you if/when he "comes out" to his dr.

Maria in heels
04-06-2013, 06:21 AM
Sam...a truly wonderful story, and thank you for sharing. Its great that you encountered one of us, one who is confident in herself, and most importantly, you were kind and considerate. A truly lovely retelling of an event by a truly wonderful person

Claire Cook
04-06-2013, 06:52 AM
I second / third everything that has been said. Sam, thanks again for sharing this wonderfully warm story -- it should be a model for all in the medical field. There are reasons why we might come out to our doctors (like if we go underdressed for an exam, or are taking supplements). It would be great if they were all as understanding as you are!

Annette Todd
04-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Sam,
Dear I think you were just a bit slow on the up Chuck. lol
Personally, I would have been mortified by those questions.
What a great story.

Annette

Tracii G
04-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Such a great experience and a wonderful story.
Sam you are truly a gem as well.

BLUE ORCHID
04-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Hi Nurse Sam, That was such a wonderful story about halfway through I could see what was coming.
Last I was in the hospital for some minor surgery and I asked my recovery Nurse ,
Do You know how to tell the Angels , I said they are the ones in the Green nurses uniforms she gave me a hug and said thanks.

~Joanne~
04-21-2013, 11:32 PM
This is truly a heart warming and funny story :) You nurse Sam are truly a gem yourself and if that person is on the forum, she is truly a gem too :) I love hearing good things over all the doom and gloom that has plagued us lately even though I didn't see this post till now :)

SheriM
04-22-2013, 07:56 AM
I suspect then that she was passable???
A little envious here.

Asp
04-22-2013, 08:16 AM
That's such a delightful (and mildly humorous) story! Thanks for sharing!

Jaymees22
04-22-2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the cute and funny story. Hugs Jaymee

Patty
04-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the Great story!!

Cynthia Anne
04-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Your wonderful story made this gloomy Monday so much brighter for me!

larry
04-22-2013, 05:57 PM
NurseSamGG,
Here is something to put your education to work on--As I read this note I actually had tears forming in my eyes and goose bumps on my arms at the same time..
Thanks for being a nice person !! Wish you were my nurse. Let me know if you have friends in my area.

Rachel Morley
04-22-2013, 06:54 PM
What an truly awesome story! Thanks so much for sharing this with us all. If only everyone was like you! :)

Greenie
04-22-2013, 08:32 PM
That's an amazing story sam. :)