PDA

View Full Version : Why do we do this?

HannahF6
04-08-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm sat here at the computer clearly dressed as a woman. Like all of us I have tried to stop but there seems to be something in me that insists "thou shalt be a cressdresser". It isn't the most convenient trait to have and I've often wondered why do we do it?

Last night I was reading the March 16th issue of "New Scientist" - a special issue entitled "Secrets of the Body" and on pages 40-41 there is a section about hands. On page 41 I read "Male and female hands differ in another way too. In men the index finger tends to be shorter than the ring finger, whereas in women they are more equal. A study in 2003 by John Manning, now at Swansea University, UK, found that the ratio of these two fingers' lengths reflects the level of testosterone a fetus was exposed to in the womb. Recent research questions this conclusion but hundreds of studies reveal that the ratio is linked with a variety of characteristics, including sexuality. More "masculine" ratios correlate with traits ranging from risk-taking and financial acumen to athleticism and autism."

I was intrigued and checked out my own hand, the index finger on each hand is longer than the ring finger, so by this measure I'd rate, and would have done so from birth, as feminine.

This is a very non-scientific survey, but I wonder if anyone reading this post would mind replying and telling me what you are, i.e. male CD, TS or whatever, or GG or male admirer and compare your index finger with your ring finger on each hand, for me I'd write:-

male crossdresser - index finger longer than ring finger on each hand.

Hannah

Laura912
04-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Similar article in Discovery only calculating the ratio of the two and correlating certain behaviors with over or less than one. My ring finger clearly shorter than index.

ossian
04-08-2013, 12:29 PM
Very interesting. I'm going to look up that article.

My stats, male CD, ring finger equal in length to index. So I have transgendered hands.

Did article say anything about toe length?

Gillian Gigs
04-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Ok, I will join in, both index and ring fingers are the same length on both hands. Any way they are measured equal describes it. I am a male CD'er. Does the article make any comments about the distance between you nose and ding-a-ling... lol

HannahF6
04-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Regretfully, the article says nothing about toes and nothing about the distance between "nose and ding-a-ling".

Hannah

Lynnmorgan451
04-08-2013, 12:36 PM
hmmmm......my ring fingers are longer than my index fingers.....especially with these nails ;)

MysticLady
04-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Ok, my turn. CD..My ring fingers are @ 1/2 inch longer than my index fingers, add another 1/4 inch for my nails:heehee:

What does that make me?:straightface:

ssmjoanne
04-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Male CD, index fingers shorter than ring fingers. I will be inspecting my wife when she gets home from work.

ossian
04-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Ok, so the way I'm reading this is in women the ring finger length is more equal to index finger length

I don't have access to this magazine. I'm super curious, did it give any journal articles, references, at the end of the hand section?

Thanks!

I've long suspected that there is a genetic component to our behaviour.

CONSUELO
04-08-2013, 12:49 PM
On my right hand the ring finger is slightly longer than the index finger, while on my left hand the ring finger is the longest of the two. I have been crossdressing since I was just about five years old or so. My desire fluctuates from very strong to somewhat mild but I still find it a great pleasure and need. I have also read that stress on the mother can change hormone levels in the womb. I was conceived and carried during war time when stress levels were high. The desire to cross dress is still and enigma.

ossian
04-08-2013, 12:49 PM
I started looking up some articles on this topic......

Exposure of testosterone in the uterus.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091104101553.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit_ratio

Thanks for posting the original topic. A little part of world just fell into place.

Emeraude
04-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Okay, I've now spent a half hour measuring fingers. Looking at my hand from the top, my ring fingers are clearly longer. However, I realized as I moved my hands around, that changed, so I pulled out a ruler and measured. As nearly as I can tell, my ring and index fingers are of equal length.

So now, I can call my wife in and say, "Great news, honey! It's all okay. My index and ring fingers are equal length so I was born to be a crossdresser and we don't have to argue about this anymore!" (Tongue firmly in cheek.)

Lorileah
04-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Do you remember phrenology? Reading bumps on the head? It didn't work out so well either. This subject comes up frequently and the results tend to be the same...the measurements are all over the place. Just think, if it were true on Johnny's fourth birthday the doctor says "Gee Mrs Jones, you better lock up your panties because Johnny's fingers indicate he is transgendered." But on the other hand (so to speak) it would make the pre-counciling for GD easy. "Come in sir and put your hand on the table....Ahha! You are right you are a TS!!! ma'am"

JenniferR771
04-08-2013, 01:17 PM
My turn. CD and index fingers slightly longer than ring fingers.

ossian
04-08-2013, 01:20 PM
I looked up a few of the articles, and it is kind of all over the place depending on the focus of the studies. I'm getting back to work now.

suzy1
04-08-2013, 01:27 PM
This is a bit controversial.
After doing a bit of research online this afternoon I am not going to put a lot of credence in it.

alwayshave
04-08-2013, 01:28 PM
I'll add to my two cents. On my right hand, dominant, they are equal in length. On my left hand the ring finger is slightly longer than the index finger.

DaniG
04-08-2013, 02:08 PM
My fingers are even on both hands.

Laura912
04-08-2013, 02:36 PM
The only absolutely certain thing I will say about the fingers is that I have 10....for now. Back to the woodworking.

Jenniferathome
04-08-2013, 02:53 PM
I'm a straight male cross dresser. My index fingers are significantly shorter than my ring fingers.

I think external characteristics would be a difficult measure to find. I am certain that this is a genetic thing, like blue eyes, hetero or homosexuality, bales, etc.

RebeccaLynne
04-08-2013, 03:12 PM
I'm a straight male cross dresser. My index fingers are significantly shorter than my ring fingers.

Same for me... and I've been able to palm a basketball since the age of 12, and I wear a size 13 male shoe. And I've cross-dressed since I was four.

I believe it's all what's between your ears! :heehee:

Julie Denier
04-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Hetero male CD here. Right hand: index and ring fingers nearly equal. Left hand: ring finger clearly longer.

TeresaCD
04-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Hetro male cross dresser, index very slightly shorter

flatlander_48
04-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Bisexual male crossdresser: both index fingers are about 3/8" shorter than their corresponding ring fingers...

BLUE ORCHID
04-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Hi Hannah, ( Why Do We Do This ) I often ask myself that same question when I look in the mirror some times.

AimeeG
04-08-2013, 11:47 PM
This brought up memories of school..."if your hand is longer than your face, then you're...(smart, gay, hypertensive, cross-dresser...)" and as you put your hand to you're face, your "friends" slapped your hand into you're face. LOFAO!

Beverley Sims
04-09-2013, 03:17 AM
My index finger is longer than my ring finger.
It gets lots of exercise.
I use it for all sorts of things, some of those too embarrassing to talk about.
I wouldn't want to be a doctor, you just don't know where their index fingers have been.

DianeDeBris
04-09-2013, 08:32 PM
This thread is great! A whole cadre of genetic males, most if not all identifying as straight, discussing body part size, checking their own measurements, announcing their size to the whole group - and 100% of it above the waist. Nice change of pace!

VeronicaMoonlit
04-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Does "Why" really matter in the long run? Will having a "reason" make your life bettter? are you going to say to people, I'm a crossdresser because I was born under a cusp on a tuesday on a mont without an R in it's name? Do you really need a reason to crossdress? It is what it is and it "just happens"

As for the finger length thing it's been brought up...many many times and there is abo****ely no science behind it.

Veronica

Nicolesmyth
04-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Hetero male Cd'er with ring finger longer than the index finger.

phlover
04-09-2013, 09:02 PM
I read about this topic in several medias. I don't believe it because my index finger is shorter than ring finger. But I have been a male CDer from my childhood and always addicted to stockings, pantyhose, high-heels, skirts, dresses and body-shapers. What's wrong with me?

carbonara
04-11-2013, 12:54 AM
Interesting and noticed that both my fingers on both hands are the same length. Though I believe there are more factors in play than just the amount of T we get exposed to as a foetus.

Diversity
04-11-2013, 03:49 AM
Male CD - index finger shorter than ring finger (on both hands) - guess I am ambidextrous :)

Kate Simmons
04-11-2013, 04:43 AM
There is no reason for many of us. We just do it because it's who we are. length of fingers notwithstanding.:battingeyelashes::)

Lynn Marie
04-11-2013, 07:28 AM
Guess I'll need to turn in my CD membership card. I'm a semi-normal male and my ring fingers are significantly longer than my index fingers.

NicoleScott
04-11-2013, 08:31 AM
The only absolutely certain thing I will say about the fingers is that I have 10....for now. Back to the woodworking.

Wow, a woodworker who still has all 10 fingers. Good job. Maybe it's a good idea to leave the workshop when the pink fog hits. haha
My ring and index fingers are the same length. Straight CD.