PDA

View Full Version : Staying Cool In A Wig?

pacificblue
04-11-2013, 03:57 AM
Well it's getting warmer (at least in my area) and I've found that my new and beautiful wig is getting far too hot to wear. I don't know if it's just because the wig is thick and long but is there any secret to staying cool in a wig?

Vickie_CDTV
04-11-2013, 04:27 AM
I struggle with this myself. However, here are a couple tiny suggestions that might make it slightly more bearable.

If you have a problem with the sweat, you can try (carefully) applying an antiperspirant to your head and hairline (I use Certain-Dri.)

When you are out and about, carry a hand fan in your purse. If you find yourself stuck in an environment without air conditioning (or, in the winter, stuck in a place with the heat set on nuke), you can discreetly cool yourself and keep yourself from pouring down sweat. It sounds a bit simple and maybe a bit silly, but for myself it made surviving heat with the wig on much easier.

Kate Simmons
04-11-2013, 04:41 AM
I wear wigs in the dead of Summer and dance all night at the club. The "secret" is "mind over matter". Not thinking about it mostly.:)

noeleena
04-11-2013, 05:19 AM
Hi,

Do as i do dont wear them. i did for 11 years no more because of headaches, iv given up on them , the only concession is i'll wear mine for our Edwardian do's , other wise no more,

Because im well known people know me & i'll just wear my headwear scarves, or summer hats, winter that we have now ill wear my winter wool'es,

...noeleena...

linda allen
04-11-2013, 06:37 AM
Some wigs are designed to allow air circulation under the hair. You might be more comfortable in a different wig.

Michelle13
04-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Hi,

Do as i do dont wear them. i did for 11 years no more because of headaches, iv given up on them , the only concession is i'll wear mine for our Edwardian do's , other wise no more

If they were causing you headaches, you should try the wigs made for a larger fit, search for "Large Cap" wigs. I used to have the same problem because of my big head and poofy hair up under it. Now they never cause headaches and I can wear them all day no issues!

Beverley Sims
04-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Find a lighter looser wig is the way I have gone in situations like this.

Bree Wagner
04-11-2013, 05:44 PM
It's a challenge with a lot of wigs but if your's can do a ponytail that can really help. I find it's getting the hair off of my neck that really helps. Most of the time I just add it to my list of things I'll suffer through to go have a good time.

-Bree

vikki2020
04-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Wigs are hot! I have some that are a bit thinner, and lighter than others,but, they are still warm on a summer day. Not much you can do. I'm growing my hair out, and just leave the wig at home many times. Not as nice as the wig "look"-yet-- but, way more comfortable!

Vickie_CDTV
04-12-2013, 06:16 AM
Even the large sized wigs might be too tight for some, they are still a bit tight on me when new.

When I was younger, I used to get tension headaches and the wig would really exacerbate them (I remember catching all kinds of grief from a friend for removing my wig in the car on the way home at night, she was paranoid the cops might go by and read me or something.) I have seriously considered wearing a scarf instead, but I fear it might draw attention when I am dressed in public.

Christy Diane
04-12-2013, 06:39 AM
Unfortunately I believe we have to call that the price of beauty!

Lynn Marie
04-12-2013, 08:48 AM
My favorite warm weather wig weighs only three and a half ounces. It makes a world of difference in the amount of heat it generates. Sometimes it's necessary to give up a little hair glory for comfort.

NV Susan
04-12-2013, 11:06 AM
I also suffer from sweating while wearing a wig...My cure, I keep my hair very short in the summer and try to stay in air conditioning..... :Pullhair:

StarrOfDelite
04-12-2013, 11:26 AM
This isn't totally response to the OP, but here's my 2 cents worth. In the summer time I like to do serious bicycling, 20-25 mile rides at average speeds close to 15 mph, and it really is essential to wear a helmet. As much of my cycling time as possible I go femme, wearing pastel spandex cycling shorts, tops and shoes. I love the look of a female rider with a pony tail flowing out behind her, and like to fantasize about appearing that way to the world. I have discovered that I can tolerate the heat and still look girly by purchasing an inexpensive wig in a longish style, tying it back in a pony tail, and putting the helmet over it. The cheaper wigs are relatively thin and lightweight, and I really don't notice any excess heat. Of course these wigs are not very convincing up close, but with a helmet on their aesthetic flaws are not noticeable.

stephNE
04-12-2013, 12:48 PM
They make a thing called a wig cap. It is sort of made of material like pantyhose. It keeps the wig just off the scalp and tends to let a little air flow underneath it. And in my case it also helps that I have very little hair.

reb.femme
04-12-2013, 03:17 PM
In Bob mode, my head sweats for Britain (the T-Girl me perspires) at the mere mention of temperature.

I guess I'll be looking for a lighter weight wig for the summer. I've also found my wigs caused headaches initially but not now. Either the band has stretched or my head has shrunk due to the sweat. :heehee:

Rebecca

Lacyfem
04-12-2013, 03:25 PM
Yes, wigs can get hot but as one said it's mind over matter and the price a cd has to pay. That said I have 7 wigs and though they do get hot I love to wear them. At home I can fully dress and not put on a wig as it's kind of a fem/masculine thing. I've been with a few men who like me dressed fully, makeup, jewelry, stockings, heels, garters etc. with no wig. Now that was hot!

FoxxxyBri
04-12-2013, 03:30 PM
Good thread and a question I never thought to ask. Im an introvert so I dont get out much as a male or female. So when im dressed up its usually at home and I always make sure to turn the A/c all the way up.

Angela Campbell
04-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Some of the more expensive wigs that are laced and hand tied seem to be a lot cooler and allow more air flow through them. It is still not as good as having your own hair but I doubt I could ever pull that off even if I grew it out.