PDA

View Full Version : UK Travel Advice

Paula_56
04-12-2013, 07:13 AM
So I am off for another two weeks of business travel to the UK. I haven’t beenout as Paula for two months and I am just dying to do so. So I need some encouragement and advice from my UK sisters. I will be staying a a wonderful place see link below. I have never been out and about in the UK so I ama bit nervous about that. My big concern is the place I’m staying is kind of small and personnel and I am worried about mixing my two sides with the staff there. Normally in a big faceless city I would just go for it. I also would have to take a taxi from here to town and that can be a bit weird. I dunno ????
Any thoughts, ideas or words of wisdom sisters?
http://www.tylneyhall.co.uk/

Beverley Sims
04-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Paula the way you present in your photo, it is only your inner fear that stops you.
A taxi driver lets you get in the cab and takes your money at the other end.
As long as you are not a screamer or someone drunk and disruptive he is not likely to do anything but check out the elegant American lady in the back seat.
I assume you have an accent.

CONSUELO
04-12-2013, 08:28 AM
The UK is very tolerant toward cross dressers especially those who are well turned out and well behaved. You will hardly cause a glance except for admiring ones. I was recently there and in a coffee shop in a small town called Great Malvern. It is in western England, not too far from the border with Wales. I had popped in to use their internet and get some coffee. It was crowded with a large number of older people who had just been shopping as well as many young people who, like me, were camping on the wi fi. There in the middle was a CD, fully dressed and well turned out in deep conversation with someone. I did not see anyone stare or hear any comments at all. Most people in the UK would call Great Malvern a rather conservative place. So relax and enjoy. London has some great hang outs for cross dressers. It is a lively and very very cosmopolitan city.
Best wishes for a great trip, and don't worry about the hotel staff. You look classy and they will probably love you.

Leslie Langford
04-12-2013, 08:40 AM
What a lovely photo, Paula! You look absolutely beautiful and radiant and - dare I say it? - your face looks thinner and as if you have lost some weight compared to some of your earlier pictures.

You're beginning to look more and more like an elegant, sophisticated natal GG every day, and I love the accessories that you have chosen for the outfit that you have on. The only problem you will have is heads turning because of the stunning woman that you will be presenting as, and not as the proverbial "man in a dress". Just make sure that the mannerisms and voice match the appearance.

As for staying in smaller and more intimate venue away from the big city, check out the movie "Just Like a Woman" starring Adrian Pasdar as the American crossdressing protagonist who also finds himself in the U.K. under similar circumstances, but for somewhat different reasons from your own. Might just find some inspiration there...;)

Paula_56
04-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Leslie Thank you for noticing, I have lost weight, I am a size 16 now it has been a goal for three years now. I am growing more and more each day, it has been wonderful. I've come a long way from that first trip to Toronto three years ago. Remember how you helped me so. I saw the movie Just Like a Woman" a few years ago, it was great. I like how they treated the whole topic with respect.

warmest reagrds your sister paula

bridget thronton
04-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Wonderful pic Paula - hope you have a great trip.

Paula_56
04-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Bev Thanks for the adivce. Accent???? We Americans can barely speak English LOL!!!

The UK is very tolerant toward cross dressers especially those who are well turned out and well behaved. You will hardly cause a glance except for admiring ones. I was recently there and in a coffee shop in a small town called Great Malvern. It is in western England, not too far from the border with Wales. I had popped in to use their internet and get some coffee. It was crowded with a large number of older people who had just been shopping as well as many young people who, like me, were camping on the wi fi. There in the middle was a CD, fully dressed and well turned out in deep conversation with someone. I did not see anyone stare or hear any comments at all. Most people in the UK would call Great Malvern a rather conservative place. So relax and enjoy. London has some great hang outs for cross dressers. It is a lively and very very cosmopolitan city.
Best wishes for a great trip, and don't worry about the hotel staff. You look classy and they will probably love you.

Consuelo

I keep hearing that the UK is very tolerant, I guess it's time to just jump in!

Emeraude
04-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Paula,

I agree with Leslie. You are a lovely and elegant lady. Enjoy your trip and tell us all about it--with pictures, please!

Beth Wilde
04-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Oooh Paula, that's just up the road. Tylney Hall is a beautiful building (never been inside though). Basingstoke is surprisingly small but it depends on your intentions in town, there is no scene type place that I know of, though Poison (http://www.poisonthebar.co.uk/) has gay/trans friendly nights on Thursdays. I tend to go to London which is 40 miles away but not long at all on the train.

I'm sure the hotel will be fine, my sister runs a hotel and has seen some VERY strange things, a very pretty lady is hardly likely to turn heads!! I hope you have a good time whatever you do!

reb.femme
04-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Hi Paula,

I wish I worked for the same company as you if that's the standard of accommodation you get - Best Western for me at best :)

Hotel staff will have no problems with you, general policy (and law) over here for businesses is not to discriminate on gender or sexual grounds. I've had no problems when up in the north west and the south is to my mind, a little more relaxed.

Don't really know Hampshire that well but like all places here, we have good and bad. Just avoid pubs full of hairy bottomed (substitute word for mod avoidance) types on Friday and Saturday nights :heehee:

Rebecca

reb.femme
04-12-2013, 03:50 PM
................I assume you have an accent.

To acquire a southern London accent like mine, gargle on gravel twice a day, breathe in noxious fumes for hours on end and drop all H's from your vocabulary.
You'll soon be sounding like me..."d'ya no wot I mean luv...sorted!" :straightface:

Rebecca

Lorna
04-12-2013, 05:05 PM
As others have said, I wouldn't worry about the hotel.....but Basingstoke is a different kettle of fish. It's not like Great Malvern either!

NathalieX66
04-12-2013, 05:13 PM
I'm so doing London for New Year's Eve!....just like I did in 2005/6.
I wanna fly pretty, but I plan on flying pretty to Atlanta in September beforehand.