PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Find Jobs Working as a Woman?

KateSpade83
04-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Being unemployed for 4.5+ years now, I'd entertain the possibility of doing a temp job, dressed as a woman... But how do you find these kind of jobs? When I went to a real Job Fair back in summer 2009, I went in a skirt suit to interview with the Secret Service to show that I'm a "dual looks" possibility. I was thinking I could be an agent that loses track of followers by changing into a woman... But anyway, the other companies at the Job Fair didn't mind that I was crossdressed, and the lady at Frito Lay was giving me her speech about the company and was very accepting of me. But Northrop Grumman, - the recruiter discriminated against me. She initially said you needed a security clearance to get a job there, when I said I had one she still ignored me. Not that really phazed me out because at the Chicago Gay Parade their were LGBT people from Northrop Grumman showing up there.

So have you successfully found a job where you could crossdress? How did you find it? What type of job is it?

My career and type of jobs I apply and work at is not very kind to gays or crossdressers. Mechanical Engineering and anything related to that is so male dominated. I lost many jobs when they thought I was gay.

But I would accept a temp job going to work in a skirt suit, because it's temp. But I have to admit, I don't have the skills of a secretary yet.

Should I go to a job fair dressed as a woman and try for jobs like that? Should I just say I'm somewhat transgender?

heatherdress
04-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Kate - Is this posting for real? You are unemployed for 4 1/2 years and you go on job interviews as a crossdresser? Not working too well for you, is it?

Do you go to "real job fairs" or to "not real job fairs"?

Do you think the Secret Service is really looking for crossdressers for a "dual looks" ability to protect the President?

Do you really think that any of the companies at the real job fair "didn't mind" that you were crossdressed if they didn't hire you?

How do you have a security clearance if you are unemployed for 4 1/2 years?

Have you really lost jobs because people "thought you were gay" like there's something wrong with being gay?

Maybe you should just focus seriously on getting a job. Get help. Forget about wearing dresses. Go to real job fairs. Focus on your qualifications and skills, not your sexual orientation and lipstick.

Good luck.

Vickie_CDTV
04-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Given this is the worst economy since the 20s, that make it an employer's market and you are at their mercy, like it or not. You go as whatever they want and is most likely to get you a job (and being trans isn't one of them.) Diversity speeches and other PR baloney aside, you are more likely to get the job as a "straight acting" cis man; once you are actually employed (and eating and paying your bills), you can look for a job that offers more flexibility (you become much more employable while you are actually employed.)

If you want to dress at work, become self employed doing work with the trans community.

Jason+
04-13-2013, 11:06 PM
How do you have a security clearance if you are unemployed for 4 1/2 years?

Good luck.

A security clearance is good for ten years at least at the level I held. TG isn't an automatic denial or revocation of the clearance in and of itself.

As for finding a job as a woman I would assume you would have to apply and interview as one, complete with all the requisite legal paperwork identifying you as a woman. If you are not there yet you may want to fore-go job fairs/interviews in your skirt suit. I think the key for Northop Grumman would be to talk to those LGBT associated employees and see how they identified themselves during their interviews.

It seems it's a lot easier for an employer to overlook some things about a high performing employee who has an established track record than the same qualities in a new unknown hire.

Nyla F
04-14-2013, 04:54 AM
How do you find jobs working as a woman? First and foremost, by being really good at what you do and having the work history to show it. Being unemployed for years is probably going to hurt your chances more than being TG since your résumé will be rejected before the interview stage. At least for professionals, like engineers, you need a good résumé to land an interview.

I once was interviewing candidates for an engineering job. The candidates were initially screened only based on their resume. Before the interview the HR person organizing the interviews (a woman) tried to get rid of the candidate once she realized the candidate was TG, claiming it would cost the company a lot of money to install a separate bathroom (complete nonsense). I went ahead with the interview and asked a lot of questions focused only on her job skills and work experience. After the interview I discussed the candidate with the VP of engineering and he was ok hiring a TG person as long as they had the qualifications. It turns out the candidate didn't have the experience we were looking for, but we asked her if she was interested in a junior position. She declined because she got a better offer.

Bear in mind, this was a real hot job market in the SF Bay Area about 10 years ago, so maybe a little more acceptance of TG than here in the Midwest.

If you are ok with working in male mode for a while, this might be the best way to get your foot in the door and get the experience you need to some day land your dream job as a woman.

noeleena
04-14-2013, 06:35 AM
Hi,

Going on the job not dressed appropritly to me is like saying one does not wont a job , i have had men work for myself plus our daughter who is now 34, she dressed as was needed on the job, if you came to me for a job dressed in a skirt or dress id say ether you dont wont the job or i wont have you because your not dressed as is needed on the job.

I dont go to my jobs dressed in skirts or dress's or high heels .

Okay im a builder done 46 years & seen it all. Im allso a woman so i dress in shorts & a tee top shoes or boots & just dressed as i should be .

I have allso done selling tree's & shrubs & what ever, now then i was dressed in a skirt tee top & could do my job .

in both case's i was dressed appropritly, & yes i have had Police clearance & could again if needed, i dont have any issues, all my documents are correct as to name rank & number's, & i have the expeance to carry out my trade, what ever im needed to do.

I have no issue with those who cross dress just not on my job for the reason iv given, if some one came to me for a job dressed in a skirt id say not going to happen, not on the building sites, male or female,

From one who has employed others id say to you unless your a woman you would soon see what needs to change,

It would seem to me unless you can wear womens clothes on the job you wont take any job, so maybe you need to change your idears & wear shorts or longs maybe overalls , i do i dont give it a 2nd thought

If you have the experance in a field that you can do then go for it just maybe not cross dressed .

Iv worn male clothes militay & others im not going to say i liked it i did it because i needed to be where i was at the time, what was importaint was i had a job to do ,
you wont like this or do it i had to clean the sewer sytems out yes down & dirty & stink so not dressed in a skirt or dress , so was overalls & shower's after, ,

then the clothes .... well yes i know so what. does it really matter, you dress for the job in hand.

If you go for any interview regardless what you wear its whats on your original birth cert that will tell wether your male or female .

Why is it so importaint for you to wear a skirt, ?? or dressed as a woman,

...noeleena...

Jenni Yumiko
04-14-2013, 08:04 AM
I totally agree with Nyla and Heather.
First focus should not be on how you dress, just securing a job nowadays is rough. Your a mech engineer, hate to say it but most engineers are a dime a dozen, unless you have solid experience and certs on top of that, our company wouldn't even process your résumé, let alone step forward with a trans person. For example, to get hired into one of our spots, you need minimally Ccna, rhce, mcse, WITH a degree, AND be published or patented AND have consummate work experience. On Linkd in, I see more and more job posting/recruitment emails that require this high level of education and experience.
Goal number one is get in the door. If your main concern is getting a job as a girl, go to places that don't care about that. Retail, inbound sales, inbound tech support etc. from there, try to move up.

I highly doubt you got felt go for being suspect gay, there has to be more to that.

This post is a little scattered, but the main thing is exp/credentials, don't worry about being able to be a girl, ESP if you Id yourself as "just a CD" which your previous posts suggests.

heatherdress
04-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Security clearances become inactive when the person leaves employment or military service. I believe Top Secrets are normally good for 5 years, Secret Clearances 10 years and Confidential 15 years. But the agency or military Service which grants the clearance pulls them when the employee or Service member leaves. If you had one, it can usually be reinstated with minimal work. But the point is - no one is going to get a job because they had a clearance at one time, especially if they do not meet qualifications. Also, there are some jobs which are much more tolerant of appearance, individual behavior and dress codes than the United States Secret Service.

Some employment basics are being ignored by Kate: figure out what you want to do; determine where you can work; become qualified as best you can (school or technical courses); get employment help (state unemployment offices); develop a job finding strategy (job fairs; internet etc.); network (use friends); find job opportunities, apply and follow-up; have good interviews (prepare, rehearse, dress appropriately - like the other people who work there); follow-up; and don't give up. It is hard to find a good job and it is harder to find a job when you don't have one. The longer you are unemployed, the tougher it is because you are not gaining any experience. If you are unemployed, you might have to make some concessions to work somewhere - travel; part-time; lower pay; not doing what you want to do. You might have to do volunteer work to gain experience. But those possibilities might enable you to get to your ideal job.

Once again, Kate, good luck. Try and get some help finding a job.

sandra-leigh
04-14-2013, 08:18 AM
In Canada, security clearances terminate when you leave the employer. Here, an unexpired security clearance can be "reactivated", but in the meantime you are considered not to have a security clearance.

NicoleScott
04-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Kate - Is this posting for real?

Yup, it's real. A while back (1-2 years I think) Kate made a similar post. And the good advice given in your and others' posts was given by others back then - apparently unheeded. One would think that in 4-1/2 years a new set of skills could have been acquired.
It's tough out there, especially now. Jobs are hard to find, even for experienced workers and for new college grads. Sometimes expectations need to be lowered just to get started. Once a job is secured, prove you're worth advancement.
I've interviewed for several jobs and interviewed more applicants than I can remember. First impressions are important, so you've got to do all you can in your presentation. If you can't impress, for goodness sake don't do anything to detract.
What's the priority, getting a job or wearing a dress?

Nicole Erin
04-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Like NicoleScott said - yeah it is real alright. I still laugh when I think about it.

But to get to the point - if you live full time as a woman and have a name change, it helps matters. Plus you have to have your look together. Even if you don't pass, if you look like you give an honest effort instead of wearing a nice skirt suit with some God-awful basketball court shoes, you are more likely to be taken serious.

Other options -
Big companies tend to have stronger anti-discrimination policies, like my job. Yes it is just some crappy low wage retail outfit but their anti-discrimination includes "Gender expression and identity". Retail places will hire about anyone who isn't a felon and who might actually come to work sometimes.
You could also look into GLBT places like maybe be a wait person, cook or whatever at a gay restaurant.

Weird thing is though - I actually have a cosmetology license and wasn't able to get a job in that field, I assume they don't like trans women but f*** it.

So to summarize your Q's - I just started throwing out resumes and applications online and real life. I don't "crossdress" but live full time as a woman. It is just retail though. It's a buck or two, better than no money. (shrug)

Kate listen - the modz might ream my backside hole for saying this but - some of the ideas you have are pretty outlandish. Wanting to work as a woman - understandable. Wanting to be in secret service as a CD - bat poop crazy idea. Maybe your experience losing jobs WASN'T about them thinking you are gay but about weird ideas? I have seen a couple of your videos, read your posts, and seen photos. You don't have the air of a gay man. I don't think anyone else would assume you are gay.

Jodi
04-14-2013, 04:28 PM
I can remember back to the 4-1/2 years when Kate posted about losing her job. You can't look for it under Kate's name, because she changed her name a while back. I'll let her explain why she changed her name. In her posts 4 years ago, she gave a lot of other details that she is not giving today. We are not getting the whole story now. If you had the whole story, her situation would look totally different.
I can't remember the name that she previously used on this board.

Jodi

Kate Simmons
04-14-2013, 06:36 PM
You don't find them Kate, they find you.:)

5150 Girl
04-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Well,,, As for me, I'm full time on campus. I hang out in the libray alot taking advantage of stuff on closed reserve. On several ocasions, full time staf had observed me helping ohter patrons. at this point it was sugested I alpy for a opsiotin they had recantly come open/

Taylor186
04-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Recent article(s) on someone who did it:

part 1: http://www.femulate.org/2013/04/through-glass-ceiling-in-reverse.html

part 2: http://www.femulate.org/2013/04/through-glass-ceiling-in-reverse-part-2.html

Maria S
04-15-2013, 07:38 AM
You are a bit late for April Fools Day.

I agree with most of the replies to your post. I would say on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 no chance, 10 walk straight into a job wearing nothing but a bikini, high heels and a smile) it's a 1. It's an employers market at the moment and you need to give them no reason from excluding you from being employed. I have been out of full time permanent employment for 2.5 years. The few interviews I manage to get I make sure there is no trace of "en-femme". I even take my ear piercings out.

It would be lovely to think that you could get a job en-femme (oink oink flutter flutter), in fact it would be lovely to think you could get a job, full stop.

Maria

Joanna41
04-15-2013, 08:11 AM
I really have to agree with the second poster for this thread. The comment made by the forth post about security clearance good for ten years...while this true for the most part it becomes revoked once you are no longer employed by whoever it was that you got it through. Maybe think about dressing as male and inquiring about company policy for cd or even call a companies HR dept, if they have one, and ask about it before trying to apply for a position with them.

linda allen
04-16-2013, 06:17 AM
If someone is unemployed for 4 1/2 years, they don't really want to find a job. And if they are male, but going to job fairs or interviews dressed as a female, they don't really want to find a job.

Prospective employers are looking for candidates who are serious about working for their company and candidates who can do the work and devote full attention to the job. If you're primary consideration is finding a job where you can crossdress while at work, I doubt you will ever find a job except in a store that caters to crossdressers. Or as a male prostitute.

shortskirt87
04-16-2013, 09:08 AM
It's time to get over your obsession with skirt suits and get fitted for a mans suit. Sorry dear, but the truth hurts.

Also "I went in a skirt suit to interview with the Secret Service to show that I'm a "dual looks" possibility. I was thinking I could be an agent that loses track of followers by changing into a woman." Really????? REALLY!!???

I Am Paula
04-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Bear in mind- This is the same person, who a few months back, said we were all too ugly to go out. Except her. With THAT amount of beauty, she will surely find a corner office, seven figure job. Let's hope.

Krististeph
04-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Hi Kate,

This is a sarcastic response just for fun, not meant to insult or belittle the question, but more as a social commentary...

How Do You Find Jobs Working as a Woman?
Being unemployed for 4.5+ years now, I'd entertain the possibility of doing a temp job, dressed as a woman... But how do you find these kind of jobs?Answer: To get a job working as a woman, apply for the job and ask to be paid about 20% less than the average salary for men.

:Pullhair::Pullhair:

KateSpade83
04-16-2013, 04:58 PM
I only went to a job fair once dressed as a woman, in summer 2009. I've been applying for jobs ever since I was unemployed, except for 3 months when I went to vacation and school. I'm not lazy and I put good effort in trying to get a job. Just look at youtube videos for "long term unemployed" and you'll get the news about people suffering long term unemployment.

And I don't have to work at McDonalds since my $1154 monthly SSDI is more than a $9/hr FT job's take home pay. I would look for a PT job earning up to $1000 a month, though.

I was only entertaining the thought of working as woman, because some members here actually do this.

Tamara Croft
04-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Also "I went in a skirt suit to interview with the Secret Service to show that I'm a "dual looks" possibility. I was thinking I could be an agent that loses track of followers by changing into a woman." Really????? REALLY!!???With a criminal record.... got about as much hope as bob hope... Don't mind Kate, she's full of it, we're all spies and she's probably been abducted by aliens at some point also, they probably made her a CD... :eek:

Ressie
04-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Start an ebay business selling lingerie to men! These CDs spend tons of $ on makeup, wigs, shoes... become a specialized merchant like Janet's. Make videos of yourself demonstrating breast forms and wigs!

KateSpade83
04-16-2013, 07:01 PM
I've seen threads about ebay on how it sucks. Like you can't give bad feedback about a no good buyer, even if they clearly SCAM you. There are instances of buyers who receive an item and yet claim they never received it or it was damaged, so you have to protect yourself with delivery confirmation.

Ebay used to be a good way of making money back in the old days before 2009 or so, but nowadays it kinda stinks. With the ebay and Paypal fees they make about a 10% cut of your sale, or even more.

I was thinking of using my Dodge Grand Caravan to make money off of people by driving them to other cities or an airport. I would advertise this on Craigslist.

Kelly DeWinter
04-16-2013, 07:07 PM
Start an ebay business selling lingerie to men! These CDs spend tons of $ on makeup, wigs, shoes... become a specialized merchant like Janet's. Make videos of yourself demonstrating breast forms and wigs!

This is actually very good advice , except sell to CD, most want to pay below ost for something and then want YOU to pay for shipping ! But that aside starting an online store is a great idea.

KateSpade83
04-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Bear in mind- This is the same person, who a few months back, said we were all too ugly to go out. Except her. With THAT amount of beauty, she will surely find a corner office, seven figure job. Let's hope.

I never said everyone here is too ugly to go out. I probably said that if you are clearly not passable then it's not worth going out for the ridicule you would get. And I go out only because I'm 95% passable.

heatherdress
04-16-2013, 08:35 PM
I was thinking of using my Dodge Grand Caravan to make money off of people by driving them to other cities or an airport. I would advertise this on Craigslist.

Kate - A crossdressing hack who is illegally "making money off people" - that's interesting work - and the cops would never think of looking at ads on Craigslist for illegal cab operations - maybe it would be fun to crossdress in jail - eBay sounds better, even if it is no longer the good old days before 2009.

lingerieLiz
04-16-2013, 09:55 PM
And you believe all Craigslist ads??? Kate you show up here every so often with some story.

Greenie
04-16-2013, 10:06 PM
And I don't have to work at McDonalds since my $1154 monthly SSDI is more than a $9/hr FT job's take home pay. I would look for a PT job earning up to $1000 a month, though.

Dear,

No one is too good for McDonalds. I know that people feel that way, but a job is a job. An opportunity is an opportunity. Did you know that almost 85% of recent college graduates are UNDEREMPLOYED. ( I got that from the Bureau of labor and stats. ) what that means is that 85 percent of college graduates who could be working at places other than mc Donald's are doing just that. I have a degree in sustainable design yet I work for starbucks... I mean... 4 years out of the labor force you would think your odds are at least the same as mine, if not less?

VeronicaMoonlit
04-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Being unemployed for 4.5+ years now,

Kate, you're not unemployed in the same way others are unemployed...you've got a serious disability, which is why you're on SSDI. I'm going to say this outright. With that disability...the chances of you ever working in your profession of engineer again are practically nil. Especially in the military-industrial-aerospace field.

I'd entertain the possibility of doing a temp job, dressed as a woman...

I know of CD's who do...but well they're not disabled like you are.

But how do you find these kind of jobs? When I went to a real Job Fair back in summer 2009,

Job fairs aren't going to work for you. you're unemployable, not because you've been unemployed for 4 years but because of your disability. Yes it's wrong, but it happens. your best bet is to go here:

http://www.adasmckinley.org/vocational_training.html

That agency is trained to help people like you and in fact I'm surprised y ou're not already in one of their programs. Though I must admit that such agencies don't really know how to handle GLBT disabled people, not yet anyway...they're learning, and will get better.

My career and type of jobs I apply and work at is not very kind to gays or crossdressers.

That may have been true.

I lost many jobs when they thought I was gay.

That's an avoidance maneuver to not deal with the true reason, your disability.

Should I go to a job fair dressed as a woman and try for jobs like that? Should I just say I'm somewhat transgender?

Just don't go. Stick with "supported employment"

One would think that in 4-1/2 years a new set of skills could have been acquired.

Kate's disabled, it's why she's on SSDI, so I don't consider her unemployed in the same way a person who's factory shutdown caused their job loss is. But yeah, good advice.

In her posts 4 years ago, she gave a lot of other details that she is not giving today. We are not getting the whole story now. If you had the whole story, her situation would look totally different.

I can't remember the name that she previously used on this board.

All her posts and threads should have been transferred to the new name, that's how the name changes work.

Just look at youtube videos for "long term unemployed" and you'll get the news about people suffering long term unemployment.

Your situation is not the same, since your disability caused you unemployment.

With a criminal record.... got about as much hope as bob hope...

I didn't know that!

Don't mind Kate, she's full of it, we're all spies and she's probably been abducted by aliens at some point also, they probably made her a CD... :eek:

Well it's her disability that makes her write stuff like that. I feel sorry for her.

You''re really into dropping brand names aren't you...you've always ben a bit of a brand snob. But doing that is basically offering a taxi service without a license and if you're caught...they'll prosecute.

And I go out only because I'm 95% passable.

I'm going to be blunt considering how judgemental and downright nasty you've been to other people about their pictures. I've seen you're pictures, and the reality is...you're not 95 percent passable at all.

Kate - A crossdressing hack who is illegally "making money off people" - that's interesting work - and the cops would never think of looking at ads on Craigslist for illegal cab operations

Yeah an unlicensed hack.. what's the fine on that these days?

4 years out of the labor force you would think your odds are at least the same as mine, if not less?

She's disabled, so it's not the same for her.

Again, Kate, just top thinking about job fiars and being an engineer..unless they can cure your disability and they can't. Settle for supported employment or whatever placement an Agency like Ada S McKinley can find you.

Veronica

shortskirt87
04-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Kate - A crossdressing hack who is illegally "making money off people" - that's interesting work - and the cops would never think of looking at ads on Craigslist for illegal cab operations - maybe it would be fun to crossdress in jail - eBay sounds better, even if it is no longer the good old days before 2009.

Can you wear skirt suits and clodhoppers in jail?

famousunknown
04-17-2013, 06:59 PM
I'm going to be blunt considering how judgemental and downright nasty you've been to other people about their pictures. I've seen you're pictures, and the reality is...you're not 95 percent passable at all.

Wow, I like the way VM rolls...

Kelly DeWinter
04-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Hey, Lets not be too harsh, If someone has a disabilty,sometimes things don't allways come out the way it's intended. Sometimes I read a post i've written a long time ago and think "hey Kelly what made you say that THAT way ?" Mayby we can bring the thread back to the OP's question about finding a job ?

Kelly DeWinter
04-17-2013, 07:26 PM

I never understood why people using their cars as a taxi was illegal, After all if they carry insurance, treat their passengers fair and charge a fair price, why should'nt they. In Baltimore they have gypsy cabs who are unlicenced and I've had to take then a few times because I broke down in neighborhoods that regualr cabs would not go.

Whats wrong with entrapanuership ? There are so many 'professionals' where licenced people and or companies give horrible service.

This is just my opinion.

Jenni Yumiko
04-17-2013, 07:27 PM
In illinois you need a livery license as well as something else I forgot offhand.

MsJanessa
04-17-2013, 08:03 PM
It's time to get over your obsession with skirt suits and get fitted for a mans suit. Sorry dear, but the truth hurts.

Also "I went in a skirt suit to interview with the Secret Service to show that I'm a "dual looks" possibility. I was thinking I could be an agent that loses track of followers by changing into a woman." Really????? REALLY!!???

well it might work if the President liked to hang out in transgender bars--lol

KateSpade83
04-17-2013, 09:47 PM
My disability has good and bad parts. I was disabled enough to get SSDI easily, so if I’m 55 and can’t get a job due to age discrimination I can easily fall back on SSDI. But I have lost a great job at Int. Jensen when I got my first job related paranoid attack. I thought God would kill me unless I kissed my female coworker, so I was fired for sexual harassment. But my disability is properly controlled with Geodon, and as long as I take Geodon I can go to work and be normal.

I never mention my disability at jobs, and it never affected my last job, especially with getting a security clearance. What hurts me more now in not getting a jobs is long term unemployed discrimination, and if they find out if I have a felony. My criminal record is clean since March 2002.

My profile here before I was banned was Jesse69. Then Tamera let me back in as Katespade83.

I don’t make good pictures that get 3+ pages of comments because I’m not photogenic. But I look better in real life, and that’s what matters. And from the 70 times I went out in drag, I passed a lot in crowded women’s restrooms and fitting rooms. So I’m not bragging when I say I’m 95% passable. When I post Pic threads I don’t take 100 pictures and post the best five. I take 10 pictures and post the best 5 instead.

I’m not a brand snob for mentioning my minivan. And some people accuse me of being a snob for posting the brand and cost of my skirt suits in their pics. I’m just “giving info.”

I was also thinking of trueing people’s bike wheels and tuning brakes and derailleurs as a side business off of Craigslist. There are people who already do this in Chicago Craigslist. I have a complete set of bike tools to true wheels and tuneup a bike, too.

SuzanneBender
04-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Given your background it sounds like you would do best to start your own business. It may take a couple of shots at the right small business, but you will find one. The good news is you have your SSDI to fall back on.

DianeDeBris
04-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Kate - I don't know enough (and I don't need to know) about your situation to comment on whether you can land a job of any kind. I do beg you, however, to talk carefully with whatever lawyer helped you to get your SSDI in the first place, for this reason: getting SSDI requires that a person be 100% unable, due to a condition of disability, to get and perform any kind of job for which he or she is qualified by training and experience. So: if you get a job, or if you *can* get a job, you can lose every bit of your SSDI. You do *not* want to do that. You also do not want to claim to some employer that you are capable of performing some job - bec when your SSDI is audited (as it will be) you can lose your SSDI; and in the right circumstances you can be forced to repay the SSDI benefits you received when (the government will say) you were really not "entitled" to receive them. Please, please check with your Social Security lawyer *before* you go applying for any jobs! Hugs - Diane

Diane Smith
04-18-2013, 12:00 AM
Doing bicycle maintenance sounds like a possible good option for you, Kate. The days and hours could be flexible, it doesn't involve the potential legal hassles of running an unlicensed taxi service, and you could be self employed and set your own rules. If you were to get serious about it, there could be potential for it to grow into a real business with a storefront, employees, etc. -- there is a guy with a shop just around the corner from where I work (in Urbana, BTW) who basically started out by fixing his friends' bikes and offering free advice, but has now been doing it full time for over 30 years.

However, Diane D. makes an important point in reply #40 just above -- don't do anything without checking with your lawyer and SSA first.

- Diane

Jodi
04-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Kate - I don't know enough (and I don't need to know) about your situation to comment on whether you can land a job of any kind. I do beg you, however, to talk carefully with whatever lawyer helped you to get your SSDI in the first place, for this reason: getting SSDI requires that a person be 100% unable, due to a condition of disability, to get and perform any kind of job for which he or she is qualified by training and experience. So: if you get a job, or if you *can* get a job, you can lose every bit of your SSDI. You do *not* want to do that. You also do not want to claim to some employer that you are capable of performing some job - bec when your SSDI is audited (as it will be) you can lose your SSDI; and in the right circumstances you can be forced to repay the SSDI benefits you received when (the government will say) you were really not "entitled" to receive them. Please, please check with your Social Security lawyer *before* you go applying for any jobs! Hugs - Diane

I agree with Diane. Disability can be yanked real easily.

Jodi

KateSpade83
04-18-2013, 07:33 PM
I never used a lawyer to get SSDI the first time or when I reapplied after being taken off in August 2008 for working and earning too much. Then I had to pay SS $10,000 back. When I tried to get back on SSDI in Houston the Houston Office tried to scam me out of it by never giving me the proper forms to reapply. Only the nice lady at the Chicago SS Office, she helped me get back on easily, but a SSDI appointed psychiatrist had to review me to see if I was disabled again. Luckily I was going through a 6 month paranoid attack, due to not taking Geodon so I got back on SSDI.

Now, I'd rather work a $55,000+ / year job than play video games all day on SSDI. Working a decent paying job gets me more than SSDI, plus it would enable me to date women because most women don't like unemployed guys. The best strategy is to work well paind temp jobs that last 7.5 month, at 9 months SSDI is cut off. This earns good work credits that increases the amount of SSDI that you get.

But I really want to be a successful man that earns money with a good career. I don't want to be an SSDI loafer. I only rely on SSDI now because I'm long term unemployed and a good job is hard to get. And with SSDI I don't have to work a minimum wage job just to get by.

Kelly DeWinter
04-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Kate,

A lot of good advice here, If you have a business idea, just persue it, A hard working business, will earn you way more than SSDI. Start small and if it works for you , go all out for it. There is a lot to be said for your sense self respect.

Also its great that you are taking your eds, keep on them and never change without talking to your Dr.

You can gain a lot of respect on forums such as this if you write what you want to post, then mentally put yourself in the shoes of the people you are writing to/about. It will give you a chance to really think about thing before you hit that final POST .

MsJanessa
04-18-2013, 08:36 PM

Actually, the SS regs allow a person on total disability to earn up to 9000 a year before they cut the benefits