PDA

View Full Version : At the salon today!

Cheryl Ann Owens
04-18-2013, 01:28 PM
This could turn into a long story but I have to share it. I'm still on a cloud!

I made an appointment with my hair stylist who knows all about me. I got back about an hour ago. She works for the salon owner who we weren't sure about accepting me though I've met her before in drab. I keep my hair really short so my wigs fit better, and it was time for a trim and the third phase of waxing my brows to make them even thinner. (They look great now!)

Well, last night my stylist wanted to get a feel for the salon owners attitudes about "the guy" who was in counseling and testing the waters about living as a woman full time. The owner had another 60-ish client coming in at the same time.

My stylist, after many text messages with the owner told me everything would be okay and I could come dressed! I said I'd probably just wear earrings and my 38B bra and forms under a lavender shirt. She said I could push it further but I need to take baby steps for now to build my confidence.

Okay, the salon is in a residential area so that helps with few people around mid-day. I arrived for my 12:30 appointment and walked in, greeted my stylist with a hug, and said "Hi!"to the owner. Meanwhile her client sat getting a color treatment. Prior to my arrival my stylist informed them a little about me, and they were fine! The client even said, "So what? My son is gay."

My stylist then started to trim my hair as we talked about my counseling, yadda, yadda while the owner chatted with her client. It was NO big deal!

Finally my stylist got out the wax and thinned my brows to a very feminine arch. When we were all done and before I said my "Goodbys" to the ladies, my stylist said, "I have something for you to play with." It was a bag full of makeup that didn't really work for her. She said to start experimenting and gave me plenty of tips. Some of it is expensive. The cut and waxing cost $22. She got $30. The makeup was a gift. (Darn! There were Avon catalogs and I didn't take one!) The other ladies smiled and said Goodbye.

I'm still walking on a cloud! Next time they'll see more of the real me. That means shopping! My wardrobe isn't so "girl-drab-typical" at this point.

Baby steps!!!!

Cheryl Ann

Tiffanyselkoe
04-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Do salons do makeovers very often. I have been wanting to get some pointers as my makeup skills are very basic ( or as my wife says, nonexistent). I've heard MACC counters are good places to go but I don't know what dept store chains usually have one. I am happy you had a great experience.

Beverley Sims
04-18-2013, 02:09 PM
I have had my hair done at a salon and changed before going out when I was younger.
The staff helped me get made up as well.
This was avery early time of stepping out in the world as a girl.
I was thrilled to bits and scared at the same time.
Today I would take it in my stride.

Cheryl Ann Owens
04-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Do salons do makeovers very often. I have been wanting to get some pointers as my makeup skills are very basic ( or as my wife says, nonexistent). I've heard MACC counters are good places to go but I don't know what dept store chains usually have one. I am happy you had a great experience.

My salon doesn't do makeovers but my stylist did give some good advice. We can't forget that there are Youtube videos and probably other sites on the net that can give good advice.

Cheryl Ann

Persephone
04-18-2013, 02:38 PM
That's great, Cheryl Ann! Congratulations on enjoying a very positive experience! :cheer:

Hugs,
Persephone.

Cheryl Ann Owens
04-18-2013, 07:05 PM
That's great, Cheryl Ann! Congratulations on enjoying a very positive experience! :cheer:

Hugs,
Persephone.

Thank you Persephone! It was really nice! It was also nice when my wife got home and saw the bag of makeup my stylist gifted me! She sees her too. (I'm retired and have become the housewife these days.) My wife has no interest in makeup and was happy that she took a special interest to help me in that area. I did send my stylist a message of appreciation to her and to express my appreciation to the salon owner for the wonderful way I was treated today. All is great!

Cheryl Ann

Tracii G
04-18-2013, 07:12 PM
How exciting it must have been for you Kudos to you!!

mikiSJ
04-18-2013, 07:24 PM
Cheryl

I am glad you had a great time. My stylist knows about Miki but I go in drab.

The cut and waxing cost $22. She got $30.
That is a very inexpensive price. I am glad you gave her the $8 tip.

Cheryl Ann Owens
04-18-2013, 09:26 PM
Miki, For the love and acceptance my stylist gives me, the tip is well worth it! She's scraping by and it's nice I can afford to help her for all the help she has given me. Tonight I got her a gift card at a local restaurant so she and her boyfriend can have a nice dinner. It's one way I can repay her for all the expensive makeup she gave me. Karma can start with us! I've just had some messsaging with her. She and the salon owner are insisting I soon show up in a maxi dress I just bought!

Cheryl Ann

kimdl93
04-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Next time to the whole nine yards!

Cheryl Ann Owens
04-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Next time to the whole nine yards!

OH YES! My stylist and I have talked at length today. I needed to get the feedback of the owner from her after I left and it was great! NO, it was awesome!!!!!!! The owner has no problem with us girls. As I've said, the salon is in a very residential area where I can simply stroll in in any mode. The owner and her client were really nice! I'm waiting for two maxi dresses to come in but I found a nice one in my closet. Now that summer is coming I can wear pantyhose and my white strap sandals with it. We're planning on styling my wig which I'll wear. I suppose I'll have to use some makeup she gave me. :-) Yesterday she cut my hair really short to have a wig fit better. She's awesome!!!! Now I just have to leave the house without the landscape guys working next-door. LOL!

Both my stylist and the salon owner want me to build my confidence to come out and not worry about anything. Another thing---- We are friends with a local female police officer who doesn't quite yet know but I've been informed through family that should I get stopped for going 5MPH over the speed limit, I have nothing to worry about!

Girls, if you have someone as fabulous as my stylist, take VERY good care of them!

Cheryl Ann