PDA

View Full Version : Just goes to show, you never can tell

I Am Paula
04-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Lately I've been preoccupied with other things, the weather has been pure crap, and the only places I've really gone are on errands, or to the mall. My usual running around look has just been jeans, flats or sneakers, and a sweater. I always do my hair and makeup, nails always done, but... just a housewife getting groceries look. I always, with out exception, get ma'amed, and treated like a lady. Maybe better than most.

Today, the sun is out, the temp has risen to spring jacket weather, and I was feeling good. For the first time in a long time I put on nice red and burgundy suede pumps, a purple skirt, white blouse, and a blazer. I spent way longer on makeup, and was really feeling good about myself. Heck, I even flat ironed my hair, and put on pantyhose! A spritz of La Vie est Belle, grabbed my Fendi purse, and was off.

Found a couple of nice pairs of shoes, a white summer weight jacket, then treated myself to a good lunch. On my way home I stopped at the liquor store for margarita fixin's. Paid for the tequila, and the middle aged man said "Thank you SIR".

I usually just let the pronouns thing slide, but I was having such a nice day, I wasn't about to let someone soil my cheerios.
I turned and said "You might not know what I really am, hell, sometimes I don't know what I am, but it's pretty f$*gg#ng obvious that it's not SIR! Good Day"

Rant over- Have nice day LADIES.

Nikki A.
04-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Ain't that the truth, let it slide.

whowhatwhen
04-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Is that the LCBO?
I'd imagine you could get the guy fired for being such an ass if that were the case.

E:
Before anyone asks, no, bigots do not deserve employment.

kimdl93
04-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Yeah, it's the darnedest thing. I was chatting with some ladies at the mall...they'd complimented me on my hair, make up..and I literally just threw myself together that morning...and admitted as much. One of the ladies commented that sometimes that's how it goes...she'll work on her hair for a coupe hours then, it's a flop, and another time she'll dash through it and get lots of compliments.

Maybe the old guy was very near sighted!

Sometimes Steffi
04-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Someone just Sir'ed me recently, and I looked at here politely and said, "I think you mean Ma'am.

I Am Paula
04-22-2013, 09:52 PM
I get such great treatment that I rarely have reason to gripe about acceptance. Getting 'sir'ed' is not a big deal. I was just having such a good day (think Mary Tyler Moore intro theme) , checking myself out in windows, chatting with everyone I get near. Just a little downer from an ignorant person.

Yes, it was LCBO. He wasn't being bigotted, just an insensitive dumbass. Being stupid isn't a firing crime.

whowhatwhen
04-22-2013, 10:19 PM
You don't count deliberate and pointed misgendering as bigoted?
In a way he's the face of our government, and IMO as****es don't belong here.

Marcella Camira
04-23-2013, 07:36 AM
Good for you. sometimes it the little things that get us. But, great rant. I gave it to one the other day myself concerning a different matter of course. That's how I know how you felt.

Have a good day- until some Ba**ard louses it up.

Could we please have hunting season on these people. LOL.

Persephone
04-23-2013, 12:15 PM
In Ontario you have to buy your liquor from the government? What is it, a sin so great that only the government can engage in it?

Does that make the government a partner in alcohol abuse? In driving while intoxicated?

Do CHC and LCBO communicate with each other? Can they deny medical treatment if you consume too much alcohol?

Hugs,
Persephone.

Cheryl Ann Owens
04-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Quite a few years ago I had grown out my hair and went with a trend then to get it curly permed. I was at a night event with my wife and there were people directing traffic. I wasn't dressed in any way. We had our little kids in the back seat. Upon leaving one man outside my car window said something to me like "Ma'm, just pull over to there." I looked at him and said, "Okay." He apologized once he saw my face but I told him it was okay. LOL!

Cheryl Ann

Rebecca Watson
04-23-2013, 12:49 PM
...and the middle aged man said "Thank you SIR".

Ouch! That would really get me down. How hard would it have been for him to say "thank you" and leave it at that?

- Becky

whowhatwhen
04-23-2013, 12:51 PM
In Ontario you have to buy your liquor from the government? What is it, a sin so great that only the government can engage in it?

Does that make the government a partner in alcohol abuse? In driving while intoxicated?

Do CHC and LCBO communicate with each other? Can they deny medical treatment if you consume too much alcohol?

Hugs,
Persephone.

IIRC It brings in lots of revenue which helps to pay for our lovely, if a bit lacking, social services.
Then again people getting mad about buying booze makes me LOL.

Beverley Sims
04-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Middle aged men are between wearing glasses and obtaining a seeing eye dog.

melanie206
04-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Had to google LCBO.

ShelbyDawn
04-23-2013, 09:47 PM
A very wise person once explained to me the meaning of "It's not my garbage." The jist is that what other people think or say is their problem not mine; it's just "Not my garbage!"
I am guessing you don't dress for some middle aged guy at the liquour store, so why would you pick up his garbage and even care what he says or thinks. You chose to put a damper on your wonderful day by doing just that.

Here's hoping you have many many more wonderful days, Ma'am. :)

Shelby

Rachel Morley
04-23-2013, 10:01 PM
Someone just Sir'ed me recently, and I looked at her politely and said, "I think you mean Ma'am.
This is what my reaction usually is if I get Sir'ed (which thankfully doesn't happen that often) but I don't think that these folks really mean to do it. Ok, so they read me as not being a GG, but I think that then they sorta get "all outa whack" and are not sure what to say to me, but they want to be polite and so they go ahead and call me Sir. I feel that they should be taking their cue from how I am presenting not that they can tell what my birth gender is. Oh well, I hoping a gentle correction might "educate them" for the next TG person that comes along (hopefully).

RenneB
04-23-2013, 10:10 PM
With so many GGs and GMs not really making presentation in their stereotypical role a way of life i.e. my last trip to wallyworld, how does that person know that I'm just not an ol' lady that has manly features.... I think I've said it before, if a GM sir's me, I'll just ma'am him back. Never happended but I'm ready for one.... Besides, my skin is getting thicker each time I go out.... probably wouldn't bother me too much... still have errands to do ya'know.

Renne.....

Tracii G
04-23-2013, 10:29 PM
I don't let it bother me its not worth the hassle.
I had my hair extensions in today in guy mode well 50/50 mode and I was in the sporting goods section at WalMart. The lady working that area said may I help you Ma'am? Then I turned around and we talked for a min.I could tell she was in a bit of a quandry over my gender but at least she didn't say oh I'm sorry sir.
After our chat I thanked her for answering my question and she said anytime ma'am thats what I'm here for.
Some just deal with it better than others.