PDA

View Full Version : How the heck do you measure a bra

mbridger
04-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Ok, I need some help here. I bought my first bra online so I wasn't able to try any on first. I followed the fitting instructions and got a bra that should have fit, it doesn't :sad:

Did I do something wrong? I measured just under my breasts (form) like the instructions said and it still feels WAY too tight.

Help!

busker
04-23-2013, 09:51 PM
May band size is the SAME as my coat size=38. I bet it is the same for all guys. But all isn't lost. The cup of course will depend on what size silicones or what you are putting into it. You can buy a bra extender (they come is packs of 2 or 3 from Sears for 2.98. Probably other places as well. The "bra fitting" stuff really is a lot of nonsense. Add this, subtract that. I seem to recall even some comments from women that it doesn't work very well. One size down will give some nice cleavage if you have moobs or enough to make them. I have gynecomastia so I don't have to fiddle or use silicone substitutes. Also, the bra band will stretch in time so don't despair. Tie it around the back of a chair over night.

SarahBJackson
04-23-2013, 09:51 PM
1. Take a measuring tape and wrap it around your chest under your nipples. That is the number. Then, take a guess on the cup size.

2. Find a store like Torrid and go in and ask them to measure you. Trust me, they've seen it before, and that worked for me!

DeeArel
04-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Different brands will vary slightly in band size. As stated above, go to a store and have them measure and fit you. Hanes outlet stores are friendly and their bras are relatively inexpensive.

RenneB
04-23-2013, 10:19 PM
I measure 40" around my chest and wear a 38. Throw in a pair of size 7 forms and walaaa it's a 38D bra....

If you buy a 'short' one, you can always buy extended clips... No need to throw away (or donate) a good bra..

Renne.....

Ceri Anne
04-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Different companies have different fitting guides. I find generally that you measure around your chest, under your breasts and add 2 inches. I measure a 38 and a 40 fits best, althoug I do get some in 38's. Then measure around your chest going over your breast (forms). If the difference between your chest and bust measurments is 1 in, your an A cup, 2 in, a B, 3 a C and 4 a D. I wear Classic II forms in size 6 and do a 38c or 40b

Eryn
04-23-2013, 10:50 PM
One thing to remember is that even the bra companies can't agree on sizing. One company's 38 might be another company's 40. Like a GG, you have to try them on to find the size that is right for you. Once you get the band size nailed down the cup size is the easy part. Unlike a GG, you can buy any size form you fancy!

Alison Felicia
04-23-2013, 10:55 PM
I buy them online and return them if they don't fit. It is a bit of trial and error sometimes because they all fit a little differently.

Beverley Sims
04-24-2013, 04:05 AM
I have a range of bras from 32A to 38C.
They all fit to some degree.
Some are labelling mistakes.
I bought a 36b off the rack once and I would assume it was 32A.
Try before you buy.

To answer the question....
Use a tape measure and a guessometer.

linda allen
04-24-2013, 06:45 AM
What were the fitting instructions? Were they from the same company that manufactured or sold the bra?

Most bra manufacturers have you measure under your breasts and then add four inches or so to determine the band size. A 39" or 40" measurement would indicate a size 44 bra.

Some companies use the actual measurement. In this case, a 39" or 40" measurement would indicate a size 40 bra. That's a big difference.

If you can't find a better way, go to Wal-Mart and buy a bra you think should fit. Take it home and try it on. If it doesn't fit return it (Wal-Mart is good about returns) and buy a larger or smaller size. If that doesn't fit, try again. You don't have to return items to the same Wal-Mart you bought them at so if you are embarrassed, go to different ones.

sometimes_miss
04-24-2013, 09:44 AM
You're discovering the wide variation in woman's clothing sizes. One 44b might fit right, another not even close even though it's the same size. Women go through this trouble all the time, one reason they seem to be forever trying on clothing and sometimes never finding something that fits quite right. I know how I feel when I see something pretty, order it, and it doesn't come even remotely close to fitting right. On the other hand, even though I'm not a real girl, occasionally I find something that fits me perfectly and then I go back and order more of the same, sometimes in every color it comes in, and a few of each. I don't know if real girls do this, but I've learned that when you're not a standard size, when you find something that fits, grab it and buy it right away, because you might never find another one. Every bra style I own that fits great is now out of production, same with panties, a couple of tops, skirts, and of course the giant shoes as well.

I Am Paula
04-24-2013, 10:04 AM
The fitting rooms in stores were built just for this purpose. I have 40's that are way too small, and 38's that are too big. VS says I'm a 38, and a small shop in town says 40. I'm assuming the inches on thier tape measures are the same. Try on. Bring your forms with you, and make an adventure of it.

Marcella Camira
04-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Read from a Dr. instructions are use two finger rule. If you can fit more than two fingers in the back or on the straps too big. Simple rule easy to remember. Also the bra should fit on the inward hooks , cause as they stretch you will still be able to use them. All bras do not fit the same. Find one you like and stick with that brand you will get a better fit (each time). This is why women trying them on in dressing room, which most of us don't have that option. I personally buy mine at Wal-Mart w/breast forms (not at same time) lol. Reason, as some one on here said there is a lot of Wal-Martians, so they don't even give me a second look. Shaven or not. But I am definitely the girl in our family, wife said when it comes to shopping. LOL

Forgot to say. I buy B breastforms. so I buy B bras. I know that sounds incredibly simple, but still. It was always that way. The B's look good in C's too. Wife buys them sometimes don't fit. Lucky me gets them. See not all created equal. LOL.
Hope this helps. Ps. measure completely around largest part of chest with cloth tape measure. I will shut up now.

giuseppina
04-24-2013, 06:56 PM
Hello mbridger

First, welcome to the forum.

About your question: The only constant in women's clothing sizing is inconsistency. Your best bet in finding the right size is a fitting that is more than just a measurement. High end lingerie boutiques are the most likely places to find this service. Take your forms with you if you use them. Most will appreciate an advance email or telephone call if they don't advertise fittings on their website.

CynthiaD
04-24-2013, 08:52 PM
I always buy 44B for my natural breasts and 44D for my forms. I've had some trouble with the cup sizes on the 44B's but never with the band size for either. I have about 75 bras of all different brands. I got my band size by measuring just under my natural breasts. (Without adding anything.) I wear a size 48R men's jacket, but that's because my shoulders are too wide to fit in anything smaller.

Candice Mae
04-24-2013, 09:20 PM
Here's a video to give you a general idea of how to measure.
http://www.victoriassecret.com/bras/how-to-measure

And some tips;
-Until you find your size, buy cheap bra's that way it won't be as expensive.
-Every brand has different sizing, my size can change by a cup or a band size depending on the brand of the bra. Since you wear forms did they come with a suggest bra size when you bought them? That would be a good place to start.
-When looking for a bra, the prettiest isn't always the best. I have some really cute bra's but they are also really uncomfortable, most of them just sit in my drawer. I find lace bands really uncomfortable as the seam to dig in.
-I know there really boring but nude bra's are a real necessity, there's a reason over half my bra's are nude they will not show through your top like a patterned bra would.
-Also because you wear forms a full coverage non push up bra would be best, the larger cup will help keep the forms in place and a push up bra has little effect on forms.
-You should be able to easily and comfortable fit your finger under your band. A lot (A lot!) of CD's wear bands that are too small resulting in red marks that last for hours. I can wear a bra all day (14 hours) and and marks are gone with in 20-30 minutes max.