PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder pads, 2013 fashion and Goodwill

Valerie Louise
04-23-2013, 11:15 PM
This is most likely one of those questions that I know the answer to, but refuse to accept it.
I shop Goodwill a lot, and today brought home yet another hardly worn garment, a pretty two piece black with thin off white pin stripes skirt suit. The skirt is pleated, the jacket good quality.
And, like almost every jacket I get there ... it has shoulder pads.
The GG fashion internet says that pads are back, extolling their virtues in being able to give the illusion of waist trimming, and sending a "power woman" message to all those who might want to grope (their words, not mine).
However, I've read a lot of women griping about them, and discussing cutting them out. The consensus is that cutting them out ruins the drape of the jacket, necessitating economically out of bounds surgery to the jacket.
I've cut them out before when I read somewhere that CD's wear out of style clothes very often, which gets you noticed, but found, sure enough, that the drape of the garment was no longer right.
But ... and this is the self answering part ... as hard as it is to admit it ... I'm a guy ... my shoulders are wide and lumpy (although I fit very well in that Size 12 jacket, thank you very much). So it would seem that if I hacked the pads out, my flesh would fill in the space, right? Natural shoulder pads, as it were.
What do the rest of you thrift store junkies do? Any of you wealthy department store denizens buy suits with pads in them, or is the "pads are back" just hype?

Ah, just one more aspect of this joyous affliction - learning the fashion trade and all the little gizmos that GG's must discuss ad nauseum. How I would love to be in on a discussion like this for real!

AllieSF
04-23-2013, 11:39 PM
First of all, if you cut out the pads you have altered the fit. I.e. there is now an unfilled space the size of the now absent pad. I have bought a lot of tops and a few jackets from the thrift stores. Some had pads and I left them in. Some may look a little outdated, but when paired with a trendy bottom (skirt or slacks or jeans) the right accessories jewelry, belts and purse and then the right jacket, most people will never notice the more square shape of the shoulder cut from the pads.

The other key thing to remember is that if you are dressed right for the venue and crowd and carry yourself well, are not afraid of direct eye contact and actual real in depth serious of fun conversation with strangers, the only thing that they will notice is that you are a guy in women's clothing with a great taste in style and a neat/fun person to get to know. I don't worry about it and don't think that you should either.

PS: It helps to remember to make sure that those old pads are properly resting on your shoulders and not bunched up on one side, or both, in the front or back. That creates an imbalance. I make that mistake every so often.

bridget thronton
04-23-2013, 11:39 PM
I think you are right - your shoulders may be large enough to get rid of the shoulder pads (mine are)

Lorileah
04-23-2013, 11:57 PM
or you can wear sleeveless dresses and tops...I do

Beverley Sims
04-24-2013, 12:01 AM
I tend to remove sholder pads at all times,
it gives me a softer appearance.
No need to advertise myself and look like a power woman.

I Am Paula
04-25-2013, 10:51 PM
Lose the shoulder pads. Guy shoulders are big enough. Yes, they're back, and even the GG's are saying Wtf.

thechic
04-26-2013, 03:07 AM
You can spot a crossdresser a mile away if they wear Shoulder pads, they are only in if you want to stick out of the crowd

Vickie_CDTV
04-26-2013, 02:41 PM
I am going to be the lone voice of dissension here on the board, at least in terms of preference. Personally, for me, I like shoulder pads in jackets etc.; I like the professional "power woman" look, on myself and on GGs. I like women who look a bit... intimidating. Again, that is my personal preference and my personal feti... err, "fancy", and probably is not most folks'.

I have wide shoulders to begin with, and I have removed some pads (at the insistence of a friend of mine), and... I don't know, the fit is ok (on me) without them, but they don't look quite the same as with the pad. Having shoulder pads in your clothes is something that looks distinctly female, men don't usually have them in their clothes... and removing them kind of takes away from that, for me personally.

It also depends on how big the pads are. All the jackets and blouses I bought that were manufactured in the last 1-20 years have had shoulder pads in them, did they completely go away? Or was it just the huge 80s shoulder pads that went away, and are now back? I see professional GGs wearing jackets with shoulder pads all the time. Just having shoulder pads doesn't seem to have gone away. I don't get it???