PDA

View Full Version : Portraits

Darla
04-26-2013, 08:09 AM
Hey All -

In my and my wifes never ending quest to deal with the issues of crossdressing, my wife suggested something wholly unique and surprising. She said "maybe you want to paint pictures of crossdressers".

This kind of blew me away, and I think she said as much to have me do something I love so much (painting) as a way of distracting me from another thing I love (crossdressing). But it really struck a chord and I'm posting about it now.

How many of you would pose for a portrait of yourself dressed and presenting? I don't think my wife had this in mind, but working from life at some point is the best way to capture a persons essence, rather than a photo, but photos are useful for reference.

I know there's speculation that paintings like the Mona Lisa are DaVinci himself, and I was even thinking (to gain some street cred) of doing one of myself to start.

Would members here be willing to pose/supply photos that would become artwork? Eventually I'd love to exhibit at a gallery.

Thanks all
Darla

Laura912
04-26-2013, 08:22 AM
Only if the artist was really good at lying about what s/he was seeing!

Beverley Sims
04-26-2013, 08:40 AM
The trouble is with paintings they are what is produced in the artists mind.
The usual male traits are likely to be suppressed in the portrait.
That is a good idea in some ways and there are those here that would like it.
It has merit and although I just want to cast a critical eye over myself, some would have their appearance enhanced by such a project.

Good one Darla, I hope you receive support from others.

NicoleScott
04-26-2013, 08:41 AM
Why would we need lying painters when that's what digital cameras and photo editing software is for?

boink
04-26-2013, 08:45 AM
I'd be more than happy to be painted en fem, and I think it's an interesting enough concept, why not?

Chickhe
04-26-2013, 09:36 AM
...I don't get the negativity. I think pictures are a concern because they maybe capture too much that might be recognizable, but a painting is usually pretty subjective. Personally, I don't think I would commission or want a painting of myself enfem, but I would feel honor if I were to pose for one and the painting was displayed or sold on its artistic merit, but I would want one that captures my spirit in a feminine way, not as a CDer.

franlee
04-26-2013, 11:22 AM
I think this would be great, I would luv to have a portrait of myself, but really like it if it was from the early days when I looked so much better(passable). I sense nothing negative about this idea, if you don't like it you simply don't hang it. As far as the painter imposing their view, well that is why it is an ART not science. And it is why some are Masters and some are like me, cartoonist at best.

Heisthebride
04-26-2013, 12:34 PM
I don't think there is a right answer to this question. Some would be fine or happy to pose some may be reluctant. Everyone is going to have their comfort level with posing, having someone else see them on femme in person or in a picture, and possibly being shown in a gallery.

I personally would enjoy it but I have done boudior seissions with a pro photographer, performed en femme at a burlesque show and have had pictures from the show posted online for a local newspapers additional web content.

It also depends on what the artist is trying to convey. Are these pictures of crossdressers as they truly are, or how they wish they were seen or an abstract painting.

Cheryl T
04-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Personally I think it would be wonderful to get all dressed and sit for an artist.
I'd love to see how my image translates to canvas in the eyes of another with the talent to make it real.
Photos are nice, but a tasteful portrait would be a real treasure to me...sign me up.

Lorileah
04-26-2013, 03:13 PM
I would think a portrait would be a desirable thing (assuming it isn't Picasso drawing you). Letting someone draw you as the world sees you verses how you see yourself can be enlightening. See the Dove forensic drawing experiment dove (http://realbeautysketches.dove.us/)

PaulaQ
04-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Lorileah, what's wrong with Pablo Picasso?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k43XjuhInkU

Oh, I didn't answer the original question - I'm probably too sensitive to sit for a portrait:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-kHB2fWUS8

Beverley Sims
04-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Nicole, I think you are right on the button.
Just that you said it better than I did.

Aly Cat
04-26-2013, 04:18 PM
So I think this is important. Not just for this particular thread, but for everyone who sees it. Ill share it here instead of creating a new thread for it. I know it will touch a lot of you if you have not seen it already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpaOjMXyJGk

Darla
04-26-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies - I think the link to the Dove thing is helpful (I've actually done a lot of grant work for Dove) and how beauty is perceived.

As an artist I would represent what I see, and as a CDer I think I see the beauty in the strength of purpose all our forum members have, it takes guts to go against every societal norm and work towards inner peace. THAT's what I'm trying to convey. Dignity. Strength. Respect. And femininity as much as I can.

There might be a hint of 5 o'clock shadow if that's I what I see, but I see the subtle hints of masculinity as a badge of honor, something that defines us. I will not be doing boudoir portraits - that would represent what we wish for. I wish to represent the person. I think it could go a long way in gaining acceptance for CDers and TS folk, to be proud of who you are.

From an artists point of view I always find the beauty in subjects, and there is so much beauty on this board. I think a series of these would be an effort to redefine beauty as we see it.

Whew. I'm feeling passionate all of a sudden.

Thanks
Darla

Karren H
04-26-2013, 05:32 PM
My facebook friend Amy at Face It Photos has already created a bunch of portraits of me based on my photos..... really amazing.... the down side is they set the bar so I really can never ever look that good...

AmyGaleRT
04-26-2013, 08:26 PM
I think I'd rather like this. Heaven knows I've posted enough pictures of myself. I'd love to see an artistic interpretation of my Amy-self...especially if I had a beautiful portrait I could hang in my home office.

- Amy