PDA

View Full Version : David Relmer boy raised as a girl..

Lucy_Bella
04-27-2013, 12:47 AM
Some here may already know of David Relmer..

David had a twin brother and after David was born he suffered a botched circumcision so his parent had his male parts removed and raised David as a girl ..Very sad story.

Lisa Gerrie
04-27-2013, 04:34 AM
I believe that an episode of Law And Order: SVU was based (at least loosely) on their story.

scarlett
04-27-2013, 06:24 AM
The name is Reimer. Rather old news.

Jenniferathome
04-27-2013, 10:20 AM
But most importantly, HE did not think he was a girl. Despite not having a male organ and being raised as a girl, he always thought he was male and corrected this in later life. It proves that in the "nurture vs nature" that it is nature that will drive. Nurture is only a confirmation piece and not strong enough to control.

Lucy_Bella
04-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Right Jennifer...He committed suicide at age 39 ( no proof for the reasons why).. He kept telling his parents he was a boy before the age of 14 and at the age of 14 his parents told him the truth ..So even tho he was raised as a female ( even on female hormones) his brain knew his true sex..

Persephone
04-27-2013, 12:22 PM
John Colapinto wrote a book about him a few years ago, As Nature Made Him: The Boy Who Was Raised as a Girl. Very sad.

It was sad all the way around as the situation and the book also blemished the career of Dr. John Money. Prior to this he was regarded as "one of the truly great sexologists of all time" and conducted groundbreaking research. Edmond J Coleman wrote John Money: A Tribute a few years before Reimer's death.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Beverley Sims
04-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Sometime surgeons have a lot to answer for wit some simple carelessness that is involved.

CynthiaD
04-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Yes, this is an old story, but if you've never read it, you should. It's heartbreaking. Both twins ended up committing suicide. It's the story of an incredibly selfish man who destroyed someone else's life to make himself famous.

This case suggests that gender identity is inborn and cannot be changed by social conditioning.

PaulaQ
04-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Sometime surgeons have a lot to answer for wit some simple carelessness that is involved.

Oh, you don't know the half of it. If you'd only seen some of the things I saw when I was growing up...