PDA

View Full Version : Comparing Fantasia Fair and Diva Las Vegas

MikiM
04-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Hi all. First time poster here *nervous giggle*. I was wondering if anyone out there has been to both FF and DLV and could offer some thoughts as to how they compare.
MikiM

LaSirenaBella
04-28-2013, 07:36 AM
Hi, Mikki,

I can only speak somewhat authoritatively of FF because that's the one I've attended. With regard to both events, they're both immersive and town (city) wide, or should I say that DLV looks like it stays pretty much in the touristy parts of Las Vegas. Fantasia Fair is weeklong, is an event spread throughout Provincetown (which is one of my favorite places to go!) and has a component which is pretty much like a convention, with panels. Instead of being confined to one place, though, the panels, talks, workshops, etc., are spread through several hotels and facilities in the middle of town. There is also an awards banquet where we all get dressed to the nines (I'm not sure if DLV has that), a talent show, a fashion show and a farewell party. There's also a Sunday morning church service at the town's UU congregation (that also holds some of the panels/workshops).

We have free reign of the town too, and FF is part of the Fall season. It's held as P-Town is starting to wind down for the off-season, but a lot of shops and restaurants are still open. This year, FF falls around the Hallowe'en season, so it's going to be amazing (I can't go this year because we have other plans). Oh, yes, "we." There are groups for SOs, as well, which we utilized to their fullest last year.

DLV looks to have it's own set of fun, given free rein of the city.

I'm not sure of the demographics of DLV, but given the fact that FF can be costly (but WELL worth it, if you're able to save up money or get a scholarship), the demographics are skewed toward those who can afford it. Just pointing that out. I have no issue with is. ;) I'm sure DLV has its costs, too, especially if you gamble and/or do a lot of the shows on the Strip.

My friends who've gone to DLV love it. I can't wait to get back to FF, and would like to attend DLV sometime.

And it also depends on what kind of vacation you prefer: cozy New England town or, well, Las Vegas. :)

PretzelGirl
04-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Well, and I haven't been to FF so here is my thoughts on DLV. :)

DLV is a vacation, plain and simple. It does tie to the strip a bit as that is where a lot of things happen, but we are all over Vegas. The "Events" are setup by volunteers and a schedule is published. Then you can sign up for any, all, or none of the events. It is your vacation and you can schedule it based on your desires and your budget. We do different shows together, golf, dinner, lunch, pole dancing, shooting range, museums, whatever someone who volunteers feels like setting up.

Many events are with the mainstream and the dress is appropriate, like dinners and going to shows. Other events are private and the dress rules are way relaxed like the Erotic Heritage museum.

I think all of the conventions, vacations, etc that are put on are great. The main draw is that we get together and meet each other. After that, the actual goings-on do come into play so you have to pick the one that fits what you want. DLV fits me well as it is affordable, close, and fills my need for a vacation. I still want to do SCC someday but FF could hit the list if I could ever line up a trip to visit family in that area at the same time.

MikiM
04-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Thank you so much for your responses. I am going to try to attend one or the other (my budget won't handle both), and wanted to hear from people who had experience with one or both. They both sound like a great deal of fun. I am attracted to DLV because it is more social event oriented, but I like the idea of being in LGBT friendly P Town better. As funny as it sounds, the deciding factor may be the weather. P Town in Oct is weather my wardrobe and look can handle. LV in April? Not so much. I might melt into a messy puddle of concealer and mascara in the heat. Thanks again for the info and I would love to hear from anyone else with experience with them.
MikiM

Beverley Sims
04-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Two very different kinds of venues.
One is holiday themed and a real kickup.
The other a convention and networking exercise, with entertainment.