PDA

View Full Version : Trying really hard to make the sale

Kali
04-29-2013, 08:28 AM
My wife and I were doing a little shopping yesterday after a very nice brunch at an outdoor café. We stopped in a shop that sells Indian-style clothing (and usually has a reasonable plus size selection).

The owner was just thrilled to see us; he kept bringing clothes over he thought would fit me ;) One brand of tunic length tops he had were really nice in terms of style and colors, but the brand uses a stylized cross as it's very large trademark, and that's religious symbolism I don't wear.

My wife found a couple of things to try on, and the owner just kept bringing things over to me; I had to tell him that they were either dumpy looking or much too short in the torso. I finally said; "I'm 6'5"; most women's fashions just won't fit me right." his response "I'm bringing in more lines for taller women like you. Please stop back and let me know what you think."

I think that's the most aggressive sales pitch I've ever had in a women's clothing store ;) And I will stop back. My wife found a tight fitting tunic that was about 2" too short to be a dress (though with club wear today, you never know). She looked great in it, so of course we had to buy it. Though she was disappointed that we couldn't find anything for me, but that's the usual case.

Beverley Sims
04-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Indian sales people are the most ruthless sales people you can come across.
In Asia you have to be downright rude to them, they will block your progress to sell you something and it happens in such close quarters you have to watch your valuables as well.

Julogden
04-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Sounds like a fun shopping day, Kali, even though you didn't find anything in your size.

It's always cool to find businesses like that who are only interested in making the customer happy without any judgmental baggage. And as someone who is also 6'5", I can really appreciate his effort to stock clothes for us big ones. ;)

Carol

Kali
04-29-2013, 12:22 PM
Indian sales people are the most ruthless sales people you can come across.
In Asia you have to be downright rude to them, they will block your progress to sell you something and it happens in such close quarters you have to watch your valuables as well.

He wasn't rude or intrusive. He basically ran around his shop pulling things out he thought would work for me. He was very earnest and not pushy.