PDA

View Full Version : Where can a genetic male be arrested for using the ladies room?

Rebecca Watson
04-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Hi group,

Yesterday, I managed to use the ladies room en femme (my first time). I usually just hold on until I get back home, but this time I really needed to go. An old lady said hi when I washed my hands. Other than that, it was completely uneventful. I did my business, washed my hands and moved on with life.

In the news from time to time I see articles on laws allowing or prohibiting this behavior in various communities (e.g. Arizona (http://morallowground.com/2013/03/20/arizona-bathroom-bill-would-jail-transgender-people-who-use-wrong-public-restroom/); California (http://christiannews.net/2013/04/18/california-bathroom-bill-mandating-schools-to-allow-boys-in-girls-restrooms-approved-by-assembly/)).

This leads to the question: Where can a genetic male be arrested (or in trouble with the law) for using the ladies room? I travel a lot (and I'll be travelling in the states soon) and obviously would like to avoid such situations.

E.g. is there a website which tabulates this data?

- Becky

Kate Simmons
04-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Only one way to find out Hon. Usually, in those rare cases of CD's being "made" in a ladies room and getting in trouble, they were usually pretty obvious and were cited or arrested for being a "peeping Tom". :)

Vickie_CDTV
04-29-2013, 02:18 PM
The laws vary greatly, and can be different from state to state, locality to locality. It is a real minefield, and getting factual, legally correct information can be very difficult.

The only way to be 100% safe is to to use safe2pee.org to find a private bathroom where you are going, if it is at all possible to do so.

Melissa Rose
04-29-2013, 02:29 PM
I am not aware of an accurate or comprehensive listing about restroom usage as far as gender identity or expression is concerned. The protections and laws vary by state and in some cases by region. Some states have no formal laws or rulings so it open to case by case interpretation. Also, individual experiences can vary in the same area so there is a lot of inconsistency even when regulated. Others you encounter including police officers may not be aware of law so they may complain or create a scene so even legal protections does not protect against an unpleasant experience. For the most part, using the restroom is a non-event unless you draw focused attention on yourself through extreme appearance or behavior.

California has strong protections in place concerning restrooms with public access. As long as a good faith attempt at gender expression is being made, the restroom corresponding to your gender presentation can be used. Public access restrooms include those on private property with implied open public access such as stores, malls, restaurants, hotel and building lobbies, parks, etc.. These restrooms can be restricted to use by customers only, but that applies to everyone. Restrooms without public access on private property are governed by the rules of the property owner or occupant.

I have never experienced any restroom issues in California and a number of other states I have visited.

Cheryl Ann Owens
04-29-2013, 02:32 PM
If you pass well, get in, get out, do your business, don't linger, and don't make any eye contact. Just act natural. Yes it's risky but I've done it. I'd try to do it when I suspect the crowd of ladies inside is few or nothing.

Cheryl

AllieSF
04-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Do a search here of old threads about restroom usage. May take awhile to sort through all the posts, however, more than one of them had a link to some of the State laws regarding that. You could also Google the topic and sort through all the interesting hits there. Let us know what States that you may visit and maybe we can help, or even better yet, show you personally which ones that we use! Good luck and happy traveling.

Beverley Sims
04-29-2013, 02:46 PM
The usual idea get in get out and you are cool.
Otherwise use a unisex toilet or a tree with appropriate camouflage.

sandra-leigh
04-29-2013, 03:20 PM
In the absence of specific laws protecting gender expression, you can end up banned from commercial property (including every mall managed by a given company) under the excuse that you were disturbing the customers... even if the only person who cares is a security guard looking for trouble. And if someone does actually complain, then you were "disturbing the peace" which kicks it up to possible police charges. That even if there was no-one in the washroom at the time and the person complaining "read" you as you walked away after exiting the washroom.

That is potential incidents. Actual incidents might not be common... but when they do happen they can often be absurd (like the Virgina VA hospital case.) Being "reasonable" is not enough to protect you from unreasonable people. :sad:

Jorja
04-29-2013, 03:33 PM
No idea of how accurate it is but try looking up safe2pee.org

Sabrina133
04-29-2013, 04:04 PM
It is state and locality dependent. Best bet is "Know before you go."

vplshowoff
04-29-2013, 04:44 PM
I been advised to go pee when you first arrive at an establishment and before anyone has a chance to make you.

Michelle M
04-29-2013, 08:39 PM
I just use the "Ladies." and only if I have just arrived. It's illegal in some places, so I make sure there will be few or no women in there. Walk in, smile if acknowledged, do my business and go.
Don't be tempted to preen in the mirror. Wash hands, check makeup and hair while doing so, or you will look odd. Then get out of there.

Ashley Lyn
04-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Going for a 'ride' soon.. That is my plan!!! QUIK!

Miriam-J
04-29-2013, 08:50 PM
I've experienced no problems using the Ladies room, even in very conservative Indiana. But I am cautious to avoid restrooms already occupied by mother bears with cubs, just to avoid lighting up protective instincts.

Miriam

NathalieX66
04-29-2013, 09:33 PM
New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania don't care. We got laws protecting transgender people of all stripes.

Rogina B
04-30-2013, 05:25 AM
Look the part.Get in and get out if it is a place that concerns you. I am working on a book from some of the conversations and discussions that I've overheard or participated in. The stalls give privacy that doesn't get violated.Way too much discussion on the forum is given to the fear of a problem.In the worst case[lol] don't you suppose you can pee and wash your hands and get out before the police show up? lol

linda allen
04-30-2013, 06:19 AM
No idea of how accurate it is but try looking up safe2pee.org

I checked it against my personal knowledge of my area and while they seem to be trying, it's not very accurate. Better than nothing though.

Before going out dressed, it would pay to survey the area in male mode and make a note of the restrooms you might use safely. Many malls, Walmarts, and other larger, newer stores will have a "family" restroom that can be used by crossdressers. That's not why they were put there, but there's no law against using them.