PDA

View Full Version : Trip back home

Suzanne F
04-30-2013, 12:16 PM
I just returned from visiting my family and friends where I grew up. It was quite emotional and I took some big steps. The first part of the trip I stayed with my parents. Early on the first day I showed my mom a picture of me in full femme mode. I asked her what she thought of this pretty girl. She looked hard at the picture and then back at me with a puzzled look. I told her it was me. I said my wife and I were playing dress up. She smiled and said I should go out with my wife for a girls night. I just smiled. Later she told me she thought it was an unknown daughter that had contacted me! Ha ha! I have been out 3 times with my wife but I did not say anything further. That night my sister came over an we were having fun in the kitchen. She made a remark that a friend of hers had a quite feminine husband and they thought he was gay. It just cut through me. I asked her if she thought I was feminine. She said of course not. I said well I am! Look at this picture. She was stunned and then said, "You look very pretty." We went into the living room and started talking to my mother. I told them everything and how I had always wanted to know what it felt like to be a girl. I told them I had been dressing the last 3 months and had been out in public three times. I cried a little as I explained and answered their questions. My mother came over and hugged me and said she was glad to have another daughter too! My sister said that I was her brother and she loved and supported me. We then talked like 3 girls for another 2 hours. It was wonderful!

I spent the rest of my trip at one of my cherished friends, a lady who is a counselor. She had roses in my bedroom that she said were my coming out bouquet . I had told her by phone a few months ago about Suzanne. She laid out some dresses of hers for me to try on and we also went to a wig shop. Later that night we went to dinner with a transgendered lady who had fully transitioned 9 years ago. It was the first time I have been able to meet one if us in person. Her courageous story floored me. She had been through hell to be who she was. We spent dinner and a few hours later talking and sharing our stories. It was so nice to not feel alone.

It was an emotional trip and I am very drained. I feel so blessed to have a supportive wife, family and friends. What a journey I am on !
Suzanne

Daphne Renee
04-30-2013, 12:20 PM
glad you enjoyed yourself.. Hope you get to have much more time as Suzanne.

Cheryl Ann Owens
04-30-2013, 12:28 PM
Hi Suzanne, I am SO happy for you! I almost cried because it hasn't been like that for me. I would feel drained too if that happened for me and would probably cry my eyes out for the love and acceptance like you received. Best wishes to you!

Cheryl

Suzanne F
04-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks Cheryl that was so sweet! I know that I am lucky to have received the support I have. I hope everyone here finds the love and support that they deserve. You all are the most courageous people I have ever encountered. It is rubbing off on me I think.
Suzanne

AllieSF
04-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Thank you for your wonderful story. It must have been hard, but it appears that the rewards were more than satisfying. Just take it slowly for now as you feel and work your way through all of your emotions, wants and needs to be you. It will work better for you and probably more importantly better for those around you.

Suzanne F
04-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Allie thanks I need to hear that. I have covered a lot of ground in the last few months. Do you have plans the Saturday night before Mothers Day? Maybe my wife and I could meet up with you for dinner in the city?
Suzanne

Cheryl Ann Owens
04-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Suzanne, isn't it sad when we read many posts here about rejection and about having to hide fearing we'll be humiliated in some way, lose a job, and lose friends? (Well if they're real friends you won't lose them.) I know my 90-yr-old mother knows but she hasn't come out saying anything ever except for a couple hints, and she probably has little insight about our selves. I know she loves and cares about me, but it would have been nice if way back in the '60's if she could have embraced me with the same as your Mom to be so open about it. I call those the dark ages about this "condition" for lack of a better word. Right now I'm glad to correspond with you through this forum that life is bigger with like-minded people, love, trust, and acceptance---something I've struggled with for 50+ years since I was about 10. The dysphoria has raised heck with my psyche in too many ways.

Cheryl

Beverley Sims
04-30-2013, 02:21 PM
It does hearten me to see the coming out stories here that are successful.
I do wonder how many stories have gone the other way though.

Tracii G
04-30-2013, 03:30 PM
That story was heart warming thanks for sharing it.
That was a wonderful experience.

Annaliese
04-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Suzanne that is a beautiful story, how lucky you are to have family and friends to support you

Suzanne F
04-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. I want to make sure everyone knows it has not been all great as far as telling anyone. My minister and his wife are like second parents to me. They are no longer in the minister role for me but have been with me through a lot of things in my life. When I told them about Suzanne they were not happy. They stressed they would always love me but could not support my desire to dress and express myself as a woman. They do not want to see me as Suzanne. I did realize that I wanted to be honest with them and answer any questions that they had. I was not there to ask their permission. So yes there has been pain along the way. However, letting Suzanne develop is worth it!
Suzanne