PDA

View Full Version : Want to help me design a dress?

Alex
05-01-2013, 10:53 AM
I've just recently started to come out as a crossdresser to my friends and the results have been super positive thus far. A few of them have convinced me that I need to throw a big celebration party. I love the idea, but will need to figure out something amazing for my "unveiling".

I've been talking to a couple local dressmakers I know about getting a custom piece done, so I have something that fits me perfectly and hopefully looks amazing. The problem is that I have too many ideas in some regards and not enough in others. I was wondering if I could pick your brains for help.

This is the general ideas I am working with. I realize all of them might not work in the same garment, but it provides a basis.

1. I want something to show some leg, since that is the part of me I am most happy with, but I definitely don't want to look trashy. I love the high-low hem trend.

2. I used to play rugby, and still have a rugby player's build. I find spaghetti straps, strapless our cap-sleeve garments tend to emphasize my larger shoulders and arms. I find V shaped necklines tend to draw attention to my shoulders as well. Ideally round, square or boatnecks work for me as well as preferably some kind of arm masking sleeve or maybe a shrug.

3. I don't really have any hips, so a flared skirt is a good idea to give shape.

I am totally lost on what to do for colour/print and fabric, though. The only real limitation is that I have a very fair skin tone, though, so any super pale colours really wash me out. What do you think would be great for this kind of event?

Have you seen pictures of suitable dresses that I could model it after? Or do you have any ideas or questions? Any kind of help would be awesome.

Thanks!

Debra Russell
05-01-2013, 11:38 AM
Just go shopping and see all the different styles available - cheeper and probably better end result.................Debra

Alex
05-01-2013, 11:49 AM
Just go shopping and see all the different styles available - cheeper and probably better end result.................Debra

I am a couple sizes bigger up top compared to my bottoms. I tend to stick to separates since any dress that fits my torso tend to look a bit baggy and ridiculous below the waist...or if it is tight/stretchy in the skirt, I look like a giant triangle. This is a big event for me and I want something that fits me well. I think having something crafted specifically for me would be the best way to achieve this.

Greenie
05-01-2013, 11:56 AM
I can't think of anything in particular, and I am not sure what your style is, but you should check out MODCLOTH (http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses) they are my favorite online retailer and maybe you will get some inspiration. :)

Beverley Sims
05-01-2013, 12:25 PM
There are internet sites that let you drape dresses over your own image.
That is another way to go.
The best I can design is a plastic raincoat made out of a garbage bag.
Cut a hole out of the bottom for the head and one hole each side for the arms.
I use that a lot. very practical.

Alex
05-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Greenie - Thanks for the suggestion! Modcloth is great, I forgot about that site! I will poke around and hopefully find something I can build on. My goal is to maybe find a few pics and see what the dressmaker can take from each.
Bverley- Thanks for the raincoat tip! I was only cutting two holes and was wondering why it wasn't really working for me!

Chickhe
05-01-2013, 12:39 PM
I don't know exactly, I guess it depends on the crowd and what impression you want to make. I made many costumes and even in real life, the place to start is your body...get the right shape (hip padding, forms and figure control). First you want to get to as close to a perfect shape as possible. My favorite is to study the Sears sizing chart and add padding until you get the right proportions. Then find clothing of the rack that works. Also, to look really great get good makeup and hair too.

Alex
05-01-2013, 12:44 PM
I don't know exactly, I guess it depends on the crowd and what impression you want to make. I made many costumes and even in real life, the place to start is your body...get the right shape (hip padding, forms and figure control). First you want to get to as close to a perfect shape as possible. My favorite is to study the Sears sizing chart and add padding until you get the right proportions. Then find clothing of the rack that works. Also, to look really great get good makeup and hair too.

I am aiming for something that wows people, but doesn't seem too unnatural for me. Awesome hair and makeup is a must. I've got that looked after, though.

Vickie_CDTV
05-01-2013, 12:56 PM
It depends on what kind of dress are you looking for? Are you looking for a formal gown, a dress you would wear out dancing to a club, one you would wear to an office, one you would wear at the beach (like a sundress)?

I am considering something similar also. I really want an office dress (long skirt, long sleeve in a floral print, like women wore in the 80s), and I cannot find what I am looking for anywhere in my size. I might have a local seamstress make me one, it can be so frustrating trying to find something you already know you want.

Alex
05-01-2013, 01:06 PM
It depends on what kind of dress are you looking for? Are you looking for a formal gown, a dress you would wear out dancing to a club, one you would wear to an office, one you would wear at the beach (like a sundress)?

I am considering something similar also. I really want an office dress (long skirt, long sleeve in a floral print, like women wore in the 80s), and I cannot find what I am looking for anywhere in my size. I might have a local seamstress make me one, it can be so frustrating trying to find something you already know you want.

You should do something similar. I am getting really excited for mine!

I think I am going for something between a formal gown and a cocktail dress. Something elegant and eye-catching, but something I could dance in for sure.

Maybe something along these lines, but with a very different top half and a bit more of a flare in the skirt:

mikiSJ
05-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Alex

Last week I went through the same process you are contemplating. I already have a great seamstress/dressmaker and I wanted her to make me a skirt, dress and jacket. I had an idea of what I wanted for each item and did an image search on the internet to have an idea to show her.

We went shopping for material last week and had a great time doing it. Even though I was in guy mode, it was just two girls talking about fabric and how cluttered the fabric shop was.

BTW, when you do an internet search for fabrics and you start to see $20 to $50 prices per yard, find a local discount fabric store. I got all of the material for the three items for just over $50 - in the Asian section of San Jose.

Bethany_Anne_Fae
05-01-2013, 04:59 PM
You can find skirts like these on ebay on the cheap :) I just bought one exactly like this only made of lace material, flared with some folds for a larger hip look. Its comfy to wear and doesnt look trashy :)

Laura912
05-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Consider a gown with the boat neck top and long sleeves. Make the skirt full but put a slit all the way to the upper thigh on both sides. Use a silky fabric that will flow with walking. The slits can also be in the front or back. The advantage of the front is that when you walk, your leg will flash. The side slits give a little leg when you sit or stand. You might consider a deep red to jazz it up. Best of luck and we demand pictures!!!!

Chari
05-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Great suggestions from previous posts. Consider going to a fabric shop that has many pattern books of every kind of dress style to give you more ideas or add to your confusion. Perhaps a simple two piece outfit - one that covers your top body issues, and as someone suggested, a long skirt that is split from bottom hem to hip to "flash your legs". It would be your choice of material, color, and the accessories that could make your grand entrance memorable too. If you have a favorite item that ALWAYS looks good on you, and others tell you honestly, then that is IMO, the color to start with. Please DO NOT over-do or over think your dress design. Enjoy.

Ceri Anne
05-01-2013, 10:51 PM
I am a couple sizes bigger up top compared to my bottoms.

Aren't we all? well most of us. That is the nice thing about having a dress made. It will fit both top and bottom. I would consider something Victorian. I personally like halter style dresses, and use over the shoulder length hair to camaphlog my shoulders.

I Am Paula
05-01-2013, 11:59 PM
Do you have Len's Mill Outlet there? You can browse thousands of bolts of fabric there.