PDA

View Full Version : Interesting news from Brazil.

susandrea
12-15-2005, 02:28 AM
Dec 14, 1:20 PM EST

City May Require Transvestite Bathrooms
By MICHAEL ASTOR
Associated Press Writer

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil (AP) -- For most, it's a choice of the men's room or the women's. A Brazilian city is trying to give an option to those who don't fit easily into either category.

A bill passed by the Nova Iguacu city council on Tuesday would require night clubs, shopping malls, movie theaters and large restaurants to provide a third type of bathroom for transvestites. Mayor Lindberg Farias will decide whether to make it a law.

"A lot of lawmakers didn't want to deal with this issue, but it's a serious problem in society," said city Councilman Carlos Eduardo Moreira. "It's a way to put an end to prejudice."

Moreira, a 32-year-old policeman on leave from the force, said he got the idea when dozens of transvestites showed up for a local samba show.

"It was a real problem. The women didn't feel comfortable having them in the ladies' room, and the men didn't want them in their bathroom either," said Moreira, who is married and the father of two children. "I'm not doing this for my own benefit."

He said the "alternative bathrooms" could also be used by men or women who didn't mind sharing space with transvestites.

Moreira said there are nearly 28,000 transvestites in Nova Iguacu, a poor city of about 800,000 on the outskirts of Rio de Janeiro.

Moreira said many transvestites are reluctant to go out because there's no bathroom for them. And he denied that the cost of building a third bathroom would be a big problem for restaurant or club owners.

"It requires an initial investment, but after that, the establishment will end up making more money because it will have a larger public. And transvestites like to spend," he said.

The issue has divided gay groups; some feared it could segregate gays, while others said it recognized a problem within the gay community.

"At first we were against the law, but after some discussion we decided we had to support it because it addresses a real problem for a segment of the gay community," said Eugenio Ibiapino dos Santos, a founder of the Pink Triangle Association, a gay group in Nova Iguacu. "We see it as a way to open a discussion about civil rights."

Brazil is generally more tolerant of homosexuality than other Latin American countries, but discrimination still exists.

A study conducted by the Candido Mendes University in Rio de Janeiro found that 60 percent of Rio's homosexuals had met some type of harassment, and 17 percent said they had experienced physical violence.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Sarah Smile
12-15-2005, 02:34 AM
Interesting. Do you suppose they'll have separate restrooms for MTFs and FTMs? Also, how did the author manage to jump from talking about transvestites to talking about gays? *sigh*

susandrea
12-15-2005, 02:44 AM
Interesting. Do you suppose they'll have separate restrooms for MTFs and FTMs? Also, how did the author manage to jump from talking about transvestites to talking about gays? *sigh*

Laws passed by most governments that regard one, usually helps the other as well.

I think the "third bathroom" will be meant for anyone who has an issue with going in one of the other two choices, or for anyone who just really has to pee and doesn't care who's in there. :D

I would assume that any post-op TS person would choose what makes them comfortable, which would probably be the one that corresponds to their new official identity. :thumbsup:

Imogen_Mann
12-15-2005, 03:14 AM
"It was a real problem. The women didn't feel comfortable having them in the ladies' room, and the men didn't want them in their bathroom either," said Moreira, who is married and the father of two children. "I'm not doing this for my own benefit."

If he had been a single father of one child, I'd have accused him of being less than forthright of course. I'm glad they included this pertinent peice of information, the credibility of the councilman was surely in doubt without it.

Sorry... I just find it interesting that they feel the need to bolster the apparent integrity of thier report with such unrelated drivel in an attempt to say "Non gay and very hetrosexual councilman has nice idea to help out gays and transvestites" even though he's not one ! What a guy !!

I know it's not what the thread is about... so on that subject... I think it's a silly idea. It's be a lot cheaper to de-classify all toilets, and let anyone use them. If youre going to segregate men from women and them from transvestites, whats next for segregation ? More to the point WHO ?

Looking at it from yet another direction, is this about giving people who have an issue with going in one of the other two choices somewhere to go ? Is it hell, it's about buying the confidence and support (Known as votes, thats what councils are ultimatly about) of the people who activly dont want "gays" or transvestites in thier lavatory. They will see Mr Moreira and his boss as the guys who got those perverts out of "our" toilets. Call me a sceptic if you will, I work in local government, and I see the underhand political BS lke this going on all day, every day.

XX

Jayme

Ellaine
12-15-2005, 03:22 AM
Susandria :) That's interesting...but does it mean that the disabled are ignored?
Can you please all the people all the time:confused:

Ellaine

Helana
12-15-2005, 06:35 AM
As usual gays and crossdressers get grouped together, quite normal for third world countries unfortunately.

As an interesting side note

Moreira said there are nearly 28,000 transvestites in Nova Iguacu, a poor city of about 800,000 on the outskirts of Rio de Janeiro.

Doing a quick calculation that would mean 400,000 males, less children say 300,000 male adults.
28,000/300,000 = 9.3%

So the combined gay/CD percentage is close to 10% of the population.:eek:

ReginaK
12-15-2005, 07:07 AM
A third bathroom would solve about 50% of the problem keeping me from going out. Honestly, i'd be just as uncomfortable in a male or female restroom as anyone who was in there with me.

Darlena
12-15-2005, 07:30 AM
I, myself would feel safer using a TV friendly louve but the cost might be prohibitive. And then there would be the perception that we want special status & privileges. By the way..,do you stand or sit while peeing. Myself, I sit when en femme for the obvious reasons. What say girls?(I hope that's not too siily a question) Love & kisses,

DonnaT
12-15-2005, 09:28 AM
It's be a lot cheaper to de-classify all toilets, and let anyone use them. If youre going to segregate men from women and them from transvestites, whats next for segregation ?

Ahh, but it's not segregation of the government's choosing, it's segregation by the peoples choosing.

Since the TV restrooms will be non-segregated, i.e., open to all who feel comfortable in mixed company, this allows those who do not the optional choice to use one of the other restrooms.

I'm betting some of the ladies who might object to TVs in their restroom, may choose to use the new one instead of waiting in line in the other.

susandrea
12-15-2005, 12:16 PM
Ahh, but it's not segregation of the government's choosing, it's segregation by the peoples choosing.

Since the TV restrooms will be non-segregated, i.e., open to all who feel comfortable in mixed company, this allows those who do not the optional choice to use one of the other restrooms.

I'm betting some of the ladies who might object to TVs in their restroom, may choose to use the new one instead of waiting in line in the other.

Yes, and while a third bathroom isn't completely ideal (concept-wise) it is certainly a huge step forward in recognizing that there is at least an issue.

Some countries would be very happy to just arrest a CD in a ladies OR a man's bathroom and toss them in jail.

I think this kind of thing is a stepping stone to more tolerance in the future, even if it's just because the men and women who do use the third bathroom and AREN'T transgendered find that it's not such a big deal.

The worst that could happen is (and this does happen in clubs in any country) is that those bathrooms might be used as pick-up places, and even for sex. :(

jo_ann
12-15-2005, 08:20 PM
just read this on fark.com... while this is cool, it could potentially only create more problems. Look what happened when we started to recognize other religions besides christmas as holidays.. first chanukah, then quansa, now the muslims want to be celebrated. Same thing with religions period... now we can't say the pledge of alligence in schools because it might offend people. Not trying to toss stones, but opening up doors isn't always a good thing. Next the gays will want to have a seperate restroom, seperate restroom for handicaps, seperate bathroom for?

Jillian310
12-15-2005, 08:52 PM
I always use the ladies room with extreme care in places like malls, etc. I wait for an all clear, then rush into a stall. Departing can be a litle dicier. Most times I try to hold it until I get to a friendly place. This becomes a real problem at my age (68) at restaurants, where water, coffee, wine gets me going pretty quickly! I live in Pennsylvania where I believe it is against the law to use a restroom of the opposite sex. Does anyone know if it is aginst the law to use the opposite sex restroom in any state?

Jesse69
12-15-2005, 11:33 PM
Why does Brazil have so many transvestites? Is it because they are poor hookers?

susandrea
12-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Why does Brazil have so many transvestites? Is it because they are poor hookers?

Most likely.