PDA

View Full Version : Is "transgender" a bad word?

NathalieX66
05-01-2013, 11:32 PM
The question is meant for this forum specifically.

The term transgender is really an umbrella term for crossdressers, transsexuals, drag queens, intersex.

The thing is, I realize that this forum has it's share of experimenters, and those who like to wear panties and lingerie, and all the other fineries, and that's all fine and good. You've come to the right place as far as I'm concerned.

There's also plenty of discussion regarding hormone replacement therapy, hair removal, and other surgeries.

My point is I rarely, or hardly, ever see the word transgender on this forum...except maybe an article in the media section.
LGBT is growing to be universally accepted in western culture....T's included.

I Am Paula
05-01-2013, 11:45 PM
There are far more panty wearers (not that there's anything wrong with that) on this forum who do not consider themselves transgendered.
Call yourself anything you want, as long as you are happy.

AllieSF
05-01-2013, 11:49 PM
I like the word and the umbrella meaning. And, I also know that just as we start to embrace this definition/word and new one will come along to replace it, or maybe there will be several words in its place. So be it. Thankfully, the English language is not dead and adapts and changes well as the world changes. I call myself a crossdresser most of the time, and reserve transgender for special moments because I think it conveys a better message to others not familiar with the what's and why's of what we do. I am proud to be both.

Sejd
05-01-2013, 11:51 PM
As I understand it, the word "Trans" mean to go from one place to another. A transition. For me, I am the way i am. I am perfectly fine being a guy and I am also perfectly fine putting on my skirt every night in my home, and also perfectly fine going out dressed as a woman or a man. It all depends how I feel. We all have our path and our special journey and it is my experience that when we try to tell others how to be, we miss the point.

Julie Hall
05-01-2013, 11:51 PM
I proudly call myself transgendered! Only my co-workers don't know, well I don't think they know. One is going to lend me a copy of "Priscilla Queen of the Desert".....does this mean she noticed my pierced ears and nail polish?.........I'll let you know.

Julie

sandra-leigh
05-02-2013, 12:13 AM
I am seeing it in news stories from major media in Canada and UK. For example, a fair number of the items I post in the media section come from The Guardian (UK).

Even the better of my city's local newspapers carries occasional stories about transgender or transsexual topics.

barbara gordon
05-02-2013, 12:20 AM
I think its okay and accurate to use the term transgendered on this site. Because each person here is intheir own location with in that term.

Spoke to my therapist recentlyabout where I am in in being transgendered, and she used the term "spectrum" --and then quickly apologized forth term "spectrum" . I was told her thatI think that word is okay too.

Christine.Lolita
05-02-2013, 12:29 AM
My therapist has used the term "Gender Variant" when talking about cross dressers. She also has talked about the "Gender Spectrum" and that we all are somewhere on that spectrum.

Rianna Humble
05-02-2013, 12:30 AM
The problem, as I see it, is not with the word, but that so many members refuse to acknowledge its definition. Transgender merely means across (or crossing) gender.

Unfortunately, members try to redefine it to be a synonym of transsexual or, as with Sejd, confuse "trans" with "transit" (from which we get transition).

Natalya
05-02-2013, 01:28 AM
I like 'transgender' as an umbrella term because of its inclusivity; it eliminates the divisions within our community that are created by other labels. I also like to apply the term to myself because it nicely describes the ambiguities between my physical sex, gender expression and gender identity. It's a term that bridges the gaps left by other labels – particularly that chasm that can sometimes appear to exist between the terms crossdresser and transsexual.

There are some people who do not feel the term is appropriate to them. And that's cool, too. But only so long as they don't use that position to narrow the definition of the word and create new exclusions within the community.

Natasha

PaulaQ
05-02-2013, 01:29 AM
Unfortunately, members try to redefine it to be a synonym of transsexual or, as with Sejd, confuse "trans" with "transit" (from which we get transition).

It's not just members - the general public, if they are aware of the word at all - view "transexual" and "transgender" as synonyms, or at least stages along the way, as in "caterpillar", "cocoon", "butterfly".

The actual latin roots of the suffixes "cis" and "trans" are completely clear - at least if you ever studied any chemistry. But nobody does, so they don't understand the meaning of "trans" as "crossed", "flipped", "mirrored", "reversed".

Vickie_CDTV
05-02-2013, 03:49 AM
It isn't a "bad" word, it is just so broadly defined, and at the same time poorly defined; it is intended to encompass all possible forms of gender variant behavior, and at the same time the definition of the word seems to change depending on context (it can be only people who engage in medical intervention, it can be a "polite" term for transsexual, it can be anyone who wears an item traditionally worn by the opposite sex regardless of the reason.) It is not surprising for some "transgender" can be a tough fit for them.

Back when I first started out, we were the "TV/TS community"... when it was (generally) ok to acknowledge differences and no one accused you of being a hatemonger and tore your head off over it... sometimes, I miss the old days.

suzy1
05-02-2013, 04:16 AM
I agree with Natalya. She described it perfectly for me.:)

Leyna
05-02-2013, 04:57 AM
I hate the term as it is used in this forum, and don't believe it is a very useful umbrella.

Imagine trying to do the same thing with race. "I don't care what you say, you are African American. That's the umbrella term we use here." Sorry, no. People should be free to self-define themselves, and not be threatened when the self-definition of others is different than his/her own.

stefan37
05-02-2013, 05:47 AM
The thing about labels are we use them to define who we are and others. When we do that those we define may not feel the same way. I kinda like the term transgender and i have used it many times explaining myself to others. I felt it defined me better than other terms with out having to go into detailed explanation. I personally do not care how people define themselves or me. As I grew up I used various terms to define myself and as I matured those feelings shifted and I had to find new terms. I have been a fetish crossdresser, crossdresser, transgender individual and ultimately a transsexual. There are those that may feel I do not fit the classification a transsexual and they are entitled to their thoughts. It has zero influence on how I go about my daily life.

There have been many discussions and locked threads about the different labels and the how different individuals are labeled. An individual that is male, has no transgender inclinations, but dresses for the pleasure of the clothes and does it frequently is a crossdresser. They however not liking the derogatory nature of the term will strongly disagree. Same as if a person that crossdresses and has some feelings of being the opposite gender should be said to be transgender and probably is may feel their masculinity is threatened and wants nothing to do with the term. Labels can serve a purpose but run into difficulty when we impose labels on others they do not think appropriate.

In the end we are all what we are and how we wish to define ourselves regardless of others.

noeleena
05-02-2013, 05:53 AM
Hi,

Transgender may appear to cover all yet does it im a female so no im not really a part of the transgender side of things ,as to trans mening to cross over or change from say male to female or the other way then no i dont , i did not or could not change ether way because of being both & what some Dr, may or not say has no bearing on what a person is so we need to be carefull of what we say concerning or lumping all & sundry into one box.

Had the Dr' said i was intersexed it would have saved a lot of issues, from very early on , now this applys to myself & no one else,

any way im not bothered i have a neat life,

...noeleena...

Rogina B
05-02-2013, 06:06 AM
I often use the term "transgender girl" to describe myself to the unknowing,so I am happy with the word. However,it really doesn't describe a"true CD" lol,or a fetish dresser,or someone that goes around "half baked"lol,or however. Transgender seems more to describe the mindset of some of us,rather than the appearance to the unknowing.

MysticLady
05-02-2013, 07:12 AM
I am whatever you decide to call me today but, remember, you may decide to call me something else tomorrow.

Lynn Marie
05-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Transgender is fine. Starts with the same 5 letters as transvestite and transsexual. That sort of makes it a little scary to me. After all, this is Crossdressers.com.

On the whole, I'm with Suzy, Natalya is way smarter than me and said what I wish I could have said.

Marleena
05-02-2013, 07:23 AM
The term transgender is really an umbrella term for crossdressers, transsexuals, drag queens, intersex.

Nathalie nothing wrong with the word until somebody disagrees with it's definition of it and how it applies to them. Some groups or individuals don't want any part of the TG label. If the general public sees any of the MTF's you mention out in public they would not know the difference and the word transgender would fit the bill. Same thing goes for LGBT rights, they want to include all of us.

Michelle.M
05-02-2013, 07:48 AM
It isn't a "bad" word, it is just so broadly defined, and at the same time poorly defined; it is intended to encompass all possible forms of gender variant behavior . . .

Yes, but that's changing in practice. "Transgender" traditionally includes transsexuals, intersex, crossdressers, genderqueer and drag, but these terms are now becoming more well-defined and those definitions are becoming part of public dialog. IMO, that "umbrella" no longer is particularly useful when we can so easily make distinctions that were once not very well defined or very well known.

I like 'transgender' as an umbrella term because of its inclusivity; it eliminates the divisions within our community that are created by other labels.

And I applaud that. But as members of the "T" part of LGBT continue to define themselves they're not very interested in being under any sort of umbrella. And I don't think that's divisive. There's nothing wrong with defining one's own identity.

Sure, it's confusing that "LGB" became "LGBT" and has morphed into "LGBTQIA" or even "LGBTQQIAA". Times are changing, and we need to change with them or be stagnant.

Megan Thomas
05-02-2013, 08:00 AM
I have mixed feelings about the word "transgender" these days. I do use it sometimes and there was a time I much preferred it to any of the others we use. However, I think it can blur the lines for people unfamiliar with us and to be honest the difference between a transvestite and transsexual is like chalk and cheese. So as an umbrella term it's great but it can lead to confusion for those who don't know anything about us.

NicoleScott
05-02-2013, 08:15 AM
The problem, as I see it, is not with the word, but that so many members refuse to acknowledge its definition. Transgender merely means across (or crossing) gender.

Rianna, I agree with the first part. The idea that some have that we should be free to define words any we choose is nuts. How can we commmunicate if what someone says isn't what I hear? Maybe there should be a book with standard definitions of words. Let's call it a dictionary. And let's use those standard definitions. If we need a new word, let's create one instead of changing the definition of a word currently in use.

But I don't agree with the second part. Not that you're wrong, but I see it differently. My observation is that transgender is used by many to describe a state somewhere between crossdresser and transsexual. So when you hear transgender, you hear transsexual, and when I hear it, I hear "more than CD, less than TS".
And that's the problem when people use their own definitions.

I'm in the umbrella camp, with the dictionary.

Something tells me the mods won't let this thread go on too long.

linda allen
05-02-2013, 08:15 AM
I do not identify myself as being "transgender" or "transgendered". I am many things. A husband, a father, a grandfather, a brother, and a son. My gender is male. 100% male. I just like to dress up as a female from time to time so I suppose that makes me a crossdresser in addition to the other labels.

Surprisingly, some mebers of this forum (crossdressers.com, not transgender.com, BTW) have from time to time insisted that I am transgendered. The don't know me, they have never met me or seen me in person, yet they take it upon themselves to tell me that I am something I am not.

I don't think there's a single label that can accurately be placed on all the members of crossdressers.com. Ther is a wide variety of people here.

bridget thronton
05-02-2013, 08:22 AM
No one should force a label on someone else. I do not think transgender is a bad word and i do think it's shock value has been diminished in recent years.

Michelle.M
05-02-2013, 08:22 AM
. . . some mebers of this forum . . . have from time to time insisted that I am transgendered.

Identify yourself as you see fit, and if others want to apply a textbook definition to you that's their problem. I don't blame you for being offended -

(crossdressers.com, not transgender.com, BTW)

- but there's no need to start something by injecting more conflict and division.

Sara Jessica
05-02-2013, 08:33 AM
I'm generally in favor of the umbrella-ness of the term transgender but the limitations can be quite clear...

I do not identify myself as being "transgender" or "transgendered". I am many things. A husband, a father, a grandfather, a brother, and a son. My gender is male. 100% male. I just like to dress up as a female from time to time so I suppose that makes me a crossdresser in addition to the other labels.

Surprisingly, some mebers of this forum (crossdressers.com, not transgender.com, BTW) have from time to time insisted that I am transgendered. The don't know me, they have never met me or seen me in person, yet they take it upon themselves to tell me that I am something I am not.

I won't tell you that you are a transgendered individual. However, I will suggest that your behavior is transgendered. As you are one who identifies as 100% male, you are hardly transgendered in a classical sense. Yet as a male who likes to dress up as a female, that is a behavior which is seems to fall under transgender as a description.

I think the umbrella term is easier to get your head around when such a distinction is made.

Yes, but that's changing in practice. "Transgender" traditionally includes transsexuals, intersex, crossdressers, genderqueer and drag, but these terms are now becoming more well-defined and those definitions are becoming part of public dialog. IMO, that "umbrella" no longer is particularly useful when we can so easily make distinctions that were once not very well defined or very well known.

Especially because the Muggles who know what the "T" is in LGBT rarely have enough experience to understand the differences in those of us beneath that term. One may see Linda who I reference above (I hope you don't mind being used in this example), or myself, or a fully transitioned woman who is still recognized as being trans-something and we are likely to be lumped into a single descriptive category based on that person's experience. Linda might be put off if she is perceived as being transsexual while the transitioned woman may be offended if she is perceived as being a CD. Yet somehow it seems that the rather benign term of transgender could be the least offensive description for use by the uninitiated, even if it proves to be a bit broad or somewhat inaccurate.

Michelle.M
05-02-2013, 08:42 AM
I think the umbrella term is easier to get your head around when such a distinction is made. . . .

. . . Yet somehow it seems that the rather benign term of transgender could be the least offensive description for use by the uninitiated, even if it proves to be a bit broad or somewhat inaccurate.

I agree. When my son wanted to explain my transition to his children (youngest being 8 years old) he used that "man trapped in a woman's body" analogy. In real life I only hear that phrase used by magazine writers and on Lifetime movies.

But I let it go because it answers the mail and helps those with limited (or no) education on trans issues to get a grip on the essential aspect of what's happening and opens the door for initial acceptance (assuming the audience is accepting in the first place) and future discussions.

I go with it because it works while not being a pejorative term; it's a recognizable term and thus a means to an end.

sandra-leigh
05-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Transgender merely means across (or crossing) gender.

The "trans" of "transsexual" and "transgender" and "transition" is exactly the same root, the origin of which means "motion across" which (many centuries ago) was adapted to indicate changing of state; the root was (as is typical in Latin) also used in adjective forms such as "that which has crossed over" or "that which is in an alternate state" (the 'trans' vs 'cis' of chemistry). Thus, transgender does refer to (A) the process of changing gender; as well as (B) that which has changed gender (relative to an arbitrary norm). Some root as "transfer", "transmit", "transaction", and other words.

The difference between "transgender" and "transsexual" is rooted in the difference between "gender" and "sex". At the time that the term "transsexual" was invented, the difference was not well understood, and the one term, at the time it was invented, covered both meanings. As the understanding of 'gender' as not being identical to 'sex' evolved, the barely-older term 'transgender' was emphasized by some, intended to convey a different nuance than 'transsexual' typically conveyed -- and the process of pushing away from 'transsexual' served also to shade the nuance of 'transsexual' further away from the original shared meaning. "transgender" appeared in 1965, "transsexual" appeared in 1966, when "transgender" was not often used yet (not until its 1969 adoption by Virginia Prince.)

The word gender has been used since the 14th century as a grammatical term, referring to classes of noun designated as masculine, feminine, or neuter in some languages. The sense ‘the state of being male or female’ has also been used since the 14th century, but this did not become common until the mid 20th century. Although the words gender and sex both have the sense ‘the state of being male or female’, they are typically used in slightly different ways: sex tends to refer to biological differences, while gender refers to cultural or social ones.

Notice "tends to" and "both have the sense" and "did not become common until the mid 20th century". One should, IMHO, not chide people for "refusing to acknowledge" shades of meaning that they are likely unaware of... especially not without having displayed understanding that there is substantial overlap between the terms. Do we say that people "refuse to acknowledge" the difference between "pants" and "trousers" ??

There are other subtle differences between "transsexual" and "transgender" in English. The "al" adjective ending turns out to be relatively strong indication of "adjective" in English, that resists co-opting to other parts of speech without modification of the word. Consider, for example, "transit", which is most commonly a simple present tense verb, and yet can also be used as an adjective ("Transit Stop") or pseudo-noun ("Rapid Transit"); "al", as an ending "calls out for" modification when the part of speech is changed, as in as adding "ize" to form a verb from "sexual". But the "er" ending of "transgender", here intended as indicating an adjective, also happens to be a present-tense verb form, such as in "render unto Caeser". Thus, "transgender" is capable of being used without modification as a verb. Now were these differences in adaptability to be used unchanged as different parts of speech intentional?? I would doubt it.

"Transsexual" does have meaning within a specialized lexicon that is not quite the same as its use outside that context. None-the-less the different contexts exist and should be acknowledged. There is, by way of analogy, not much benefit in railing at people for referring to a "tomato" as being a "vegetable" (which it is in US law, but in botany it is a fruit.)

Michelle.M
05-02-2013, 09:23 AM
Ooh! Sandra, I got the willies just reading all that! I am gonna save that for future use. Seriously. That was great!

Marleena
05-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Let's go right to the dictionary to get a definition of crossdresser :http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cross-dressing

If we go by the dictionary meaning you'll see why there is so much confusion here. Dictionaries used to be the holy grail in research.

And from the same source, transgender:
trans·gen·der
adjective \-ˈjen-dər\
Definition of TRANSGENDER

: of, relating to, or being a person (as a transsexual or transvestite) who identifies with or expresses a gender identity that differs from the one which corresponds to the person's sex at birth

— trans·gen·der·ism noun

Beverley Sims
05-02-2013, 10:52 AM
I think on this forum, transgendered usually means someone who is undergoing therapy and are transsexuals.
A line has appeared here over a period of time and I think it is used more in the transsexual forums.
Transgender is no worse than homosexual, transvestite, and other words that have been used to describe us over the years.
Look at the phrase used now "African Americans." Is that better than some of the other descriptors over time.

MysticLady
05-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Why are we even arguing this amongst us. Let us not give the impression to outsiders that we have confusion about this ourselves. We are who we are and we can stand together or alone on different subjects. That's the beauty of freedom and we're blessed that we can do that in some parts of the world.

Sorry, I'll just go back to sleep now

Stephanie47
05-02-2013, 11:08 AM
I kind of agree with you. I really do not like the term. I checked the definition on several sites and the best any one site can say, the term is in flux. I do not consider a man who wears just women's panties to be a crossdresser. To me, he's has a fetish. I do not consider any actor who portrays a woman to be a crossdresser. He is practicing his craft.

I hate the term as it is used in this forum, and don't believe it is a very useful umbrella.

Imagine trying to do the same thing with race. "I don't care what you say, you are African American. That's the umbrella term we use here." Sorry, no. People should be free to self-define themselves, and not be threatened when the self-definition of others is different than his/her own.

I'm a senior, who has been wearing women's clothing for more than fifty years. Call me a crossdresser. What is disturbing to me on this site is some of the advice given out by members who have a different direction than a teenager trying to figure out what's he is all about.

When I see a person who is transitioning from male to female telling a novice crossdressing to just put on that dress and reveal yourself it disturbs me. A person transitioning has a different set of goals than a "recreational " crossdresser.

dawnmarrie1961
05-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Depends entirely on the context of how it is being used in a sentence and who is using it. F*** used to be a bad word. Unless you were in the process of doing it or having it done to you (Well sometimes that could be considered bad.) But then it became funny when somebody saw something humorous happened and pointed out that it was "F***ing hilarious!" Everybody laughed and started using the word differently. Who knew? So words change over time. Who knows what we will be called tomorrow? Probably "Normal." Which would be bad because then we'd have to figure out something else to do so that we could feel "special". Maybe we could all dress up like cute little pink bunny rabbits and call ourselves TRANSBUNNIES?

Sabrina133
05-02-2013, 11:24 AM
As an umbrella term i have no issues with being described as trangendered. If asked for more specificity, I am a crossdresser. Am happy with either.

Michelle.M
05-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Let us not give the impression to outsiders that we have confusion about this ourselves.

Why not? We DO have confusion among ourselves! But that's not necessarily a bad thing; it's merely an evolutionary process and is a sign of growth within the tribe. We'll eventually sort it all out.

dawnmarrie1961
05-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Back in the 60's I used to get really upset when my oldest brother used to call me a "Fagot". I cried. It hurt me. I didn't even know what the word meant. But I knew it had to be something bad when he said it because of the way that he said it and the fact that it usually occured when his hippy friends were around. He always told me he was "Sorry." later. He was just using it to impress his friends who thought I was a bit strange. I looked up the word in the dictionary. By definition it meant "a bundle of sticks". I couldn't help but wonder why my brother would call me that? Was I that skinny?
It wasn't till years later that I figured out exactly what it was. But by then it was just another "word" to me because i'd heard so many others. And I knew, in my heart, I wasn't any of them.
The problem with an "umbrella" word is that, no matter how well intentioned, somebody enevitably ends up getting wet because they aren't standing closely enough with the other people under cover.

Lorileah
05-02-2013, 12:25 PM
"... That's the umbrella term we use here." Sorry, no. People should be free to self-define themselves, and not be threatened when the self-definition of others is different than his/her own.

Actually the umbrella term for the example you use is "Human" The subcategories are race, religion, color, ethnicity, beliefs, gender, etc.

Once again the label thing has arisen. You would think by now we would have found the answer. With any profession or walk of life you have to use words that communicate as clearly as possible what you are discussing. In my field we use the words cancer and tumor. You may find these interchangeable but they are not. Under that we use words that further define what we are speaking of Carcinoma tells us that it is a malignant growth (cancer) of epithelial (or glandular) tissue. This is how we communicate within my group. Now if Dr X decides to say "I disagree, I will call it a Ralph" It muddies the discussion. Words are used to communicate things and certain words within a community are used to help communicate. That is all it is.

Keep it friendly and sociable and we can leave this thread open. Maybe, there will be some common ground

Nikki Rich
05-02-2013, 01:40 PM
I don't have a problem with the term transgender, because I know what it means. The only real problem ( in my opinion ) is if you are not either LGBT or familiar with it,the term is misused.Most of the "normal people" don't understand it as a blanket term that covers a pretty diverse group. Case in point my daughters boyfriend thought transgender meant you are gay and want to transition. I wasn't there but my wife explained it to him, it's all about knowledge, people aren't as afraid of something if they,at least semi understand it.

Leyna
05-02-2013, 01:53 PM
I don't have a problem with the term transgender, because I know what it means. The only real problem ( in my opinion ) is if you are not either LGBT or familiar with it,the term is misused.Most of the "normal people" don't understand it as a blanket term that covers a pretty diverse group. Case in point my daughters boyfriend thought transgender meant you are gay and want to transition. I wasn't there but my wife explained it to him, it's all about knowledge, people aren't as afraid of something if they,at least semi understand it.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is my hang up as well. Truth is, I'm very comfortable with lots of "umbrella terms" in other situations, but I have a particular averse reaction to this one. So maybe it's less that we have such a term/definition on this forum as it is the one that was chosen. The connection with "transition" (leaving the male me behind and becoming the female me) is too much for me. I'm not gay, and I don't want to be a woman. Or at least, I don't want to stop being a man. I just want to be me. And you can say "but that's what transgender means" till your blue in the face, it doesn't erase those connotations for me.

IngeInCO
05-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Yada, Yada, Yada. Who cares, identify yourself as you see fit and don't worry about what others think.

PretzelGirl
05-02-2013, 09:02 PM
Especially because the Muggles who know what the "T" is in LGBT rarely have enough experience to understand the differences in those of us beneath that term.

This is a key point to me. The general public knows all of us as transgendered because that is in LGBT, news articles, policy letters, government wording, etc. Now the fact that we are fairly closeted means that our biggest goal is education or else no one will ever know what we are about. Quite honestly, we will just confuse and alienate people if the education isn't kept to some kind of simple level. If we have 500 definitions because each of us prefer a different word, then we will not get the message across. Think of it this way; sexual orientation - straight, gay, bisexual; gender identity - male, female, transgender. They are getting their message through to the public in general and I think in part is that they aren't making it a complex concept.

I understand why many want a different word. Sometimes it is just to be more specific on how they identify and some are obviously sensitive to how they are identified. Any reason is valid. But I have seen many eyes glaze over when you start talking gender queer, gender variant, gender neutral..... My daughter told me the toughest part of telling her was talking about the "spectrum". She said she lost me there.

So I think that using more defining terms within ourselves can be okay as we understand the differences. If we try and bring it to the public, I think we will do ourselves a disservice.

kimdl93
05-02-2013, 09:16 PM
It's a perfectly good word. I am happy and proud to be transgendered!

Nyla F
05-03-2013, 12:20 AM
I like having an umbrella term like transgender, but unfortunately labels are more often used to constrain our thinking rather than broaden them. I heard a story on the radio today about how the different parts of the brain are involved in language. When we hear a word we create a mental image. When we hear the expression "when pigs fly", we form a mental image of a pig with wings, or maybe a pig with a superman like cape. So it is natural I guess when people hear transgender to think of a specific type of person instead of a broad category.

I've worked at several companies and finally decided I don't like having a job title. At times I've been a contractor, so there was really no need for a title. When you dump the title people no longer just assume what you do, the have to understand your particular role. At a recent job I started without a title but eventually the company grew to where they hired an HR person who insisted we all have job titles. Because of my salary level they decided I had to have "manager" in my title even though I didn't have anyone to manage? But soon it became expected that I should so they gave me an intern to manage! All because of a title. A job title constrains you, not having one frees you.

What if I told you I was an artist? I'll bet your next question would be along the lines of "what kind of artist?". The broad category of artist just doesn't give you enough information. Am I a painter, sculptor, musician, web site designer? So what good does it do for me to use the term transgender? I'd just have to qualify it with a more specific term later.

So transgendered is fine for taking about that broad group of people, as long as the people you are talking to understand the broad meaning, but it is not a useful term for describing a specific person.

Claire Cook
05-03-2013, 04:42 AM
We've had numerous discussion of "trans-this" versus "trans-that" on this site, but the issue of Nathalie's post was why we don't refer to ourselves more as "transgender" rather than "crossdresser". I think the reason is the general confusion in the public's mind about these terms. Witness the national attention given to children who are raised in the gender they identify with, rather than their birth gender. They are almost always refered to as "transgendered" rather than "transsexual" -- so the public perception is that "transgendered" implies wanting to be full-time in the opposite gender. Obviously that does not apply to many of us, which may explain our reluctance to use the term.

Me, I happily embrace both TG and CD!

Leyna
05-03-2013, 06:00 AM
Maybe the reason for the public's confusion is that it is an ill-fitted term? Like trying to squeeze my feet into non-wide heels...

BLUE ORCHID
05-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Hi Nathalie, I prefer Crossdresser Transgendered sounds way to clinical and serious.

Marleena
05-03-2013, 07:32 AM
It's amazing how one word can cause so much conflict. If somebody needs to know I'll tell them my label. I'll file this under the who cares? category.:)

Michelle.M
05-03-2013, 07:46 AM
. . . but the issue of Nathalie's post was why we don't refer to ourselves more as "transgender" rather than "crossdresser". I think the reason is the general confusion in the public's mind about these terms.

I think you've nailed it! For me (and almost all of my TS friends) there's no issue with the word "transgender". It seems to flow a little better than "transsexual" and by now the public has conflated the two terms. And from what I read in the responses to this post crossdressers aren't very fond of the term. And now I see why!

I think the word "transgender" is going to go the way of "transvestite", a term that was once descriptive, useful and accurate but is now regarded as too clinical and passé.

I think that as those who have been traditionally covered by the umbrella further define themselves this, too, shall pass.

NicoleScott
05-03-2013, 08:05 AM
I hope the thread stays open (notwithstanding my prediction that it wouldn't). It's a discussion that we need to have. The general public will never understand what "transgender" means until we do.

StarrOfDelite
05-03-2013, 02:26 PM
What's in a Name?

Crossdresser, Transvestite, Queen, Drag Queen, Transgender, Gender Dysphoric, Sissy, Femme Boy, Transsexual, Tranny, She**le, M2F CD, Gurly Boi and Fag.

I'm sure I missed some.

No matter who you are, how hairy your chest and legs are or aren't, no matter if you can kayo the heavyweight champ with a single punch, or whether you wear Pink clothes every day, somewhere there is someone who is going to apply one of those epithets to us as a generalization. Get used to it, because the world isn't going to change.

The discussions about definitions remind me of the classic scene in The Wanderers where the teacher starts out by having the white kids recite the euphemisms for African-Americans, and then having the black kids do the same for the Italian-Americans. The end result: A riot.

arbon
05-03-2013, 02:40 PM
From the perspective of a crossdresser I would not know.

But from my perspective I don't like the word anymore, and I only identify as transsexual if I need when I need to explaine myself to someone. I think transgender is to broad, it means to many different things to different people.

However, my wife and especially my daughter describe me as transgender. It seems easier for them then to say transsexual.

IngeInCO
05-03-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm homebound, and have only ventured out a few times. That is my choice. I wear panties everyday. My Wife is great and supports me as I am. What I think is a bit weird about this thread are the references to "the general public". If one is out and in society, please tell your our story and tell us about the "Transgender" label. If one is not in public then why do you care? Silence is not going to do it.

Who cares anyway?

I don't

busker
05-03-2013, 06:28 PM
The difference between "transgender" and "transsexual" is rooted in the difference between "gender" and "sex".

Well, for starters , when dealing with the public, gender and sex are synonymous Applications often use the terms gender or sex when they want a response of M or F.
It think it was Veronica who said we need more words, but we also need more specific words. Transgender is pretty vague in the same way well being
describes someones condition. I suspect it is a more "flowery" term unlike transvestite or cross dresser, who , according to this term, are part of the umbrella terminology. same thing for gay--used to be a perfectly good descriptive word until it was "borrowed"--now one can only use it in the context of homosexuality. Lesbos, an island where Sappho was born , and where you are called a Lesbian (e.g. america--american) has been given as a descriptive name to female homosexuals. The island actually tried via a law suit to stop the use of the term lesbian for anyone who was not actually born there but I don't think it happened.
So have we just found new, more confusing terms just for their own sake or are they really descriptive? That is why it is important to call a spade a spade. If you are a cross dresser with a feminine side, then explain it that way rather than say "I'm transgendered". If you want to be a woman, then say your are a male transitioning to a woman and when completed you would be a trans sexual. If you are a fetishist, proclaim it to the roof. If you are ashamed of it, transgendered won't really help in the end. I'm a liberal with bouts of conservatism and generally vote for democrats. I'm definitely NOT middle of the road, whatever that means.
Since we are not writing fiction, it is in our own best interests to be specific, labels work when we all agree on a term, and people feel comfortable when they understand what it is you are saying. It is kind of psychology jargon and we need to stop.
Alan Alda is currently teaching classes to scientists to get them to stop using jargon and start to communicate about science in terms people can understand. clear communication is important enough that a universtiy has a dept to do just that--teach clear science communication.

Jilmac
05-03-2013, 07:10 PM
I actually prefer using "transgender" in describing myself, as the loose definition of trans is travel, I travel from one gender to the other at will.

Candice Mae
05-04-2013, 11:33 PM
I hate label's... I'll accept that I'm a crossdresser and/or Transgendered, but if you want to label me please just call me Candice.

Thanks.

Beverley Sims
05-05-2013, 02:13 AM
Arbon,
I think transgender sounds less harsher than transsexual.
I agree that you ar a transsexual but if your relatives wish to describe you I think more people would accept transgender as the same thing.

It may not be politically correct but I think it is a softer sounding word that they are finding easy to use.

PaulaQ
05-05-2013, 02:41 AM
I agree that you ar a transsexual but if your relatives wish to describe you I think more people would accept transgender as the same thing.

Most people have no idea what the word "transgender" means. The word isn't overloaded with lots of mental images. There are lots of (mostly incorrect) mental images people have of transexuals. Even if you do understand the term transgender, it is pleasantly vague.

Alexis.j
05-05-2013, 04:13 AM
Lets see, I think that the majority of the worlds population thinks one is "gay/homosexual" when you tell them that you are different to them, trans(whatever), no matter what you call it. Hell, I've been asked if I'm gay several times when I did not have a girlfriend, and was not actively looking for one. I found it quite frustrating how people judge you, I've even had someone try an convince me I AM gay because of not being interested in looking for a girl.
Now, try and tell somebody you dress in womans clothes, underwear, etc or wear makeup. What do you think is there response???

Funny thing is, that was all before a started wearing makeup and girly clothes, I don't often get those comments anymore. .. maby they are too scared to ask, lol
I also don't care anymore if people think im gay or not, (it used to bug me very much before), but I thank "Lexi" for that, she doesn't care ...

Mmm, hope this all makes sense...

Josie06
05-05-2013, 02:29 PM

I agree Rianna. I don't really mind the term, transgender. I am transgender because my inner self (mind, hear, soul and spirit) do not conform to my outward appearance. Personally, I think of myself as female ... every waking and sleeping moment.

It is used as an umbrella term in my belief which doesn't do justice to most of the components/types that fall under it. I'm not sold that the LBGT world really accepts the "T's" of the world and included us but leaves us alone as often as they can.

I don't know that "all" the world will ever be in agreement on this one.

Lucy_Bella
05-05-2013, 02:57 PM
No it's not a bad word.. The definition gets crossed because it covers various amounts of gender identity issues.. Trans meaning= across,beyond, through and changing...Gender meaning sexual I.D... Nothing wrong with the word at all..I feel those who find it defensive are people who have been victims over similar issues.. I find nothing wrong with people who feel they were born in the wrong body and wish to be the sex opposite that they were born as..Just as I expect those to do the same for me not wishing to be the sex I was not born as but enjoy to emulate with no desire to transition ..