PDA

View Full Version : Those dreaded purges......

~Joanne~
05-04-2013, 12:16 PM
I am going to go out on a limb here and make a very broad statement and that statement is: That almost every sister here has purged at least once.

If you haven't, I am very proud of you for being smart enough, and secure enough, not to have done so but this thread isn't for you.

What I would like to know is:

How many times have you purged to date?

What ONE item did you purge that you wished you never did?

What ONE item made it through your purge/s?

To date I have purged about 5 times. 1-4 were really early in my dressing years. The last one was about five years ago and I refuse to purge ever again. Yes, I may donate some things that I do not want or throw away somethings that may become out of date or ruined or such but never again a full purge.

The one thing I wish I had never purged was a pair of heels that were a dark brown, wooden sort of, open toed, 5", strappy pair. They were amazing. I loved the way they sounded as you walked and they fit me perfectly. I have never found a pair (save maybe my last new pair) that have felt as great to wear as those heels.

The one item that has actually made it through 2 purges, is my velvet LBD. I don't think I have ever done a set with it on ( may or may not do one) but I do know there are some pictures of me in it from the first time, halloween, I ever went out fully dressed. They are on a disc somewhere that I hope to find as they would be a great "then and now" sort of thing.

Have a great weekend :)

CynthiaD
05-04-2013, 12:23 PM
One thing I really missed after a purge was a fishnet catsuit. I thought about it a lot, and one day I was in a lingere store and saw one exactly like it. Of course I bought it, and still have it. It's one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever worn, so it stays in my closet. But at least I still have it.

Diana Bain
05-04-2013, 12:34 PM
In 46 years of dressing I've purged twice...everything went both times. The one item I wish I'd kept...a black slinky cocktail dress.

Beverley Sims
05-04-2013, 03:02 PM
I have never purged.
I am too mean.
My wife did it once and I retrieved most of it from the garbage collector who had the foresight to think that it had value in it.
He had put it to one side and was going to sell it to a used clothes dealer.
The thing that I lost was a slinky shoestring ankle length cocktail dress that looked great on me then.

darla_g
05-04-2013, 03:05 PM
actually No.... i have weeded through stuff from time to time but never purged by the common definition

Julie Gaum
05-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Not counting when my mother took clothes I was sure had been hid well between the mattresses there were 1. While in college in 1946 for spiritual reasons --- I thought; 2. Before graduation in 1948; 3. Before marriage in 1957; 4. Then after underdressing for years at home and while traveling on business, at the last motel I had stayed at before going home as I knew I was going to be fired on my next visit to headquarters in 1984 (Had told the CEO to get rid of his mistress as the entire workforce were upset). Had to start a new life at 59 so the
CDing had to go on a back-burner. I don't recall but I believe there was another purge on my journey. Looking back it was a waste but we all have 20-20 hindsight.
Julie

Rebecca Watson
05-04-2013, 03:52 PM
I purged once when I got married thinking I wouldn't need it. I don't have any significant regrets about this as I hadn't amassed anything too decent by that stage.

- Becky

ArleneRaquel
05-04-2013, 04:00 PM
A very sheer, with bold black lines, covering the privates, black bodystocking. How can one be so dumb and purge an excellent lingerie piece such as that ? Well if you are ArleneRaquel its easy...alas !

Cheryl Ann Owens
05-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Once! And it was my ex-wife who did it for me me when my CDing was supposedly cured in the 1980's. I had a BEAUTIFUL brown wig, a red top, and black skirt I really miss. I made up for it! It was like ripping out part of my heart! Never again! I have a loving wife who helps me thin my closet now and then. And then we go shopping!

Cheryl

AllyCDTV
05-04-2013, 05:20 PM
I've purged about 3 times but I wasn't that deep into crossdressing then so the purges never amounted to much. I have culled a lot over the last 5 years. About the only thing I really miss that I culled is a LBD that I had.

Veronica Lodge
05-04-2013, 05:30 PM
I have been lucky enough to have never purged.

I have total empathy for anyone who has, and regretted doing it. I have read some heartbreaking stories on just this board.

I know there are lots of reasons for purging. It was used as a bargaining chip, a moment of panic, a moment of low self-esteem, thinking you can go cold turkey on dressing... The one constant from every purge I have witnessed or heard about is a total regret of doing it.

I have seen many people spiral into depression from purging. imo purging is a very dangerous thing. One of the worst decisions one can make.

Whatever your reasons were for dressing, purging of material clothing & accessories seems to wound the soul of the person doing it.

I does seem inevitable, especially for those in a relationship or heavily closeted. I guess my only advice is at least keep a small box of the most sentimental stuff you have if you're compelled to purge. It will at least give you some comfort in what should be a trying time.

Cheryl Ann Owens
05-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Veronica, I know exactly what you're saying. I feel bad for those among us who are heavily closeted. It's not a good place to be. I've been there but today I can freely be who I am. It is, as you suggest, my soul, and my being. I have my bouts with depression and luckily I have a therapist who makes me drive home feeling good! I only wish all of our sisters could enjoy spreading their wings and really fly! It's also nice to have friends especially GG friends who enjoy their new "girl" friend. It has happened for me maybe because I have been honest and up-front with them. It takes a lot of guts to finally admit your true being and who you really are. I hope this gives anyone some courage. My life has only gotten better!

Cheryl Ann

Stevie
05-04-2013, 07:24 PM
I had several pairs of platform shoes that on three occasions I purged because my wife found them. One pair of thigh high boots made it through all this. I hid them separate from the rest. Funny thing about those boots is when she found them was the day I confessed to her abut me.

Janet161
05-04-2013, 07:38 PM
In my first purge I got rid of a super cute purple PVC moto jacket and matching mini skirt. Since then I have purged many great outfits and pieces. I think I have outgrown it by now.

Alana Wests
05-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Many Purges while developing a place of confidence for Alana. The good, was that after each purge I'd re-accumulate items after much more research, into quality and fit. So really the purges helped me get it right bit by bit.

The bad- makeup is pricy! And I had picked up this sexy-ass Princess Leia costume that I used as a dress (think episode IV), it fit incredibly well, matched every wig, and brought out my inner diva every time I wore it!

Maria 60
05-05-2013, 06:52 AM
When my friend was getting married I was a usher and to make a long story short the next day his brother had asked me if I could return his rental tucks when I brought mine back. As I was putting the bag in the car his wife ran down to me and said that she had put her dress in the same bag and she unzipped the bag and removed her dress. The next day I was going to return the suits and I had to make sure everything was there because if something was missing I would have to pay for it, I checked mine and everything was fine and then I checked my friends bothers and in the bag I found that his wife took out the dress but left her slip on a separate hanger. This was no ordinary slip the silk was so soft and the lace was unbelievable and the smell of women's perfume you can see it was very expensive not like my sister and moms slips. I brought back the suit and I guess his brothers wife thought the slip went back to. She never said anything to me about it. So on one of my purges I threw that slip out, it's been twenty years since that purge and I still think about that slip and I never seen another one like it, she must of bought it at one of those specialities stores. Lucky that was my only purge and I know I said I would make a long story short I guess I got into it.

Lucy Lou
05-05-2013, 07:41 AM
Hi Joanne,

I have purged many times over the years usually for fear of being found out. The other reason has been that i have in the past said to myself that I am not a cross dresser and I won't do it again. But, and here's the surprise, I always do do it again. Not a surprise really but I am sure many girls here have said to themselves, 'never again'. This site has helped me enormously because reading that there are many, many people like me has made it so much easier for me.
I will never purge again and since I have really accepted this about myself I have dressed more and more frequently, and enjoyed it more and more. i would also go so far as to say that when I am dressed I feel more right inside than I ever do dressed as a man.

Women our so lucky to have such amazing cloths and things to ware, lingerie, make up, jewelry, perfume, high healed shoes, painted nails, etc etc. As for the comment about what I most regret purging, well, many things really. Well all of the stuff. There have been some basques, stilettos, panties and wigs that I really wish I still had. But I am getting some nice things to ware so I don't feel that bad now.

I like you will never purge again, and if anyone finds out and judges me for it, then so what. I am what I am and that is it.

best wishes to you, Lucy Lou. xx :battingeyelashes: :hugs:

rachel_rachel
05-05-2013, 07:52 AM
I've done it a few times, I was lucky to get it all back one time when I went back to the charity bin I put it in.. Got a bit more too..
One thing I do regret doing at the time was throwing away a bag of lingerie.. Ohhh to have all that back again. I'm sure there was more that I should've kept too, The shoes i'd have now!!

Just recently I started on a purge of things I don't wear or never will.. 13 bags of clothes and shoes went to charity. 2 bags went to my friend (I think she ended up giving most of it away too) I still have a bit to go through to complete this purge.. and i'm franticly looking for a particular top, if I've thrown it out I will cry.

Danielle_cder
05-05-2013, 11:28 AM
What I would like to know is:

purged 2x
some items that I want back, bras n corsets some thongs too...
nothing made it through

lingerieluva
05-06-2013, 10:49 PM

- Honestly, too many to remember. At a guess about 10 times during the last 20 yrs or so (probably more, I hate thinking about it actually).

- The one item I wished I never purged were very expensive silicone breast forms. I can replace, but pricey for the quality (eventually I will have them again).

- Nothing has ever made it through on each purge. All or nothing (otherwise what's the point?). It's a crying shame I know.

ossian
05-06-2013, 11:51 PM
I've purged three times.

1) teenage years. There were a few things that I wish I had back for nostalgia purposes that I made from needle fabric and thread.

2) a wildfire robbed me of a very choice stash loaded with some very choice items that I still miss today.vintage shape wear......

3) dumped everything in the 90s when I was ashamed and thought it would do me good. Of course I was wrong! A. Very nice bra and panty set went with that one I was particularly fond of.

Cheryl T
05-07-2013, 02:40 AM
How many times have I purged? God only knows, let's just say too many.
As for something I wish I hadn't tossed, well that would be this lovely chocolate brown, cowl neck dress I once had. I fit fabulously and I felt glorious in it.
As for something that made it through...sadly nothing. If I purged it was complete. Thankfully, now that my wife is fully aware and supportive that will never happen again. I will sell things I don't wear or donate something, but I will never just purge again.

danielletorresani
05-07-2013, 03:06 AM
I've probably purged a total of 10-12 times over the last 20 years or so. I think the one thing I miss the most is a black bustier I had by Shirley of Hollywood that has since been discontinued. It was not just sexy, it was COMFY has hell! No problem, though. I have some really hot bustier's now to replace it. Really, I have a lot of dresses that I wish I could have back, but I almost don't want to think too hard about it....so sad that I can never have those specific dresses again!

Unfortunately, when I purge, I purge everything, so everytime I re-started, I had to start my collection off from scratch. Suffice it to say I go many years between purges, now.

Fifi
05-07-2013, 03:15 AM
I purged 2 times and unfortunately nothing made it through the purge. For me it was hard detaching with any of the items, babydolls, LPD, heels, makeup, stockings, everything I guess.

Josie87
05-07-2013, 03:43 AM
I've purged twice and got rid of everything both times. The purges were two of the biggest regrets of my life. I purged out of fear of exposure and put myself through the routine of lying to myself and saying that I would never dress again. These days I can finally accept who I am but I'm still somewhat afraid of being "exposed". I also am now more picky when it comes to choosing clothes to add to my collection as I am more aware of my aesthetic proclivities.

Anneliese
05-07-2013, 04:09 AM
Once I started dressing regularly, I have never purged. This despite the fact that I went for five years without ever dressing. I kept everything in a couple of large suitcases in the back of my closet. Nowadays, my collection would fill several closets. The closest thing I ever did to a purge which I now regret was donating/selling all my ex-wife's clothes when she and I divorced. She left with the clothes on her back, and left everything else with me. Despite being a total nutcase, as it turned out, she was unbelievably sexy, and had purchased lots of clothes made for a total hottie. She was a little larger than I am, but her collection of lingerie, dresses, and hippie stuff, which I encouraged, would be wonderful to have. I call it somewhat of a purge because I tried on a couple of the things before donating, and was very turned on. I then suppressed further dressing for about fifteen years. In addition (and this will freak out those who buy only new and/or those who wash everything they buy used), I am thrilled when something I buy has a whiff of perfume in it. All my ex's clothes (and I kept a few things :o) have her scent, even after all the years.

cdrachael
05-07-2013, 05:11 AM
I've only been dressing (at home) for the last year and a half, only new so have only purged once and got rid of quite a lot of dress', bras, panties. Have now built up again and every now and again get the urge to purge but think about every person who posts here or other sites I have looked at to understand how I feel and they all say they regret the throwing out, so I don't do it.

~Joanne~
05-07-2013, 12:23 PM
A lot of interesting thoughts and experiences. A lot of you seem to completely purge and I guess that is the point of purging but after doing it a few times, you know it's coming back so the best things you have usually makes it through ;)

I found those of you that have purged like ten times or more didn't learn your lessons in your life as a CD ;)

I think the best advice ever about purging is to put your things in a box/luggage, hide them away and try to forget they are there so that you didn't waste the money. Temptation is always there though so I can understand the all or nothing. I have been there myself ;)

Beth12
05-07-2013, 12:26 PM
I've actually done it, then gone out and bought the same thing again

amber457
05-07-2013, 01:34 PM
I can't say that I've ever purged, I have discarded items from time to time for various reasons.

Though I can say that I recently moved and put everything into a storage place for a few months.

That has been a very rough few months, that is the closest I've been to a purge.

lingerieluva
05-07-2013, 03:59 PM
every now and again get the urge to purge but think about every person who posts here or other sites I have looked at to understand how I feel and they all say they regret the throwing out, so I don't do it.

Wish I had done that more, damn! :(

lingerieluva
05-07-2013, 04:02 PM
A lot of interesting thoughts and experiences. A lot of you seem to completely purge and I guess that is the point of purging but after doing it a few times, you know it's coming back so the best things you have usually makes it through ;)

I found those of you that have purged like ten times or more didn't learn your lessons in your life as a CD ;)

I think the best advice ever about purging is to put your things in a box/luggage, hide them away and try to forget they are there so that you didn't waste the money. Temptation is always there though so I can understand the all or nothing. I have been there myself ;)

I know I know I know I know...this insanity has to stop I know!

lingerieluva
05-07-2013, 07:17 PM
In addition (and this will freak out those who buy only new and/or those who wash everything they buy used), I am thrilled when something I buy has a whiff of perfume in it.

I used to be into that scene but only buy new now. Must've purged boatloads of goodwill stuff over the years, too much to remember.

Jillian Faith
05-09-2013, 05:37 PM
I purged once while going thru a nasty divorce. The only thing I really wish that I had back was my jewelry.

sheilagirl
05-09-2013, 07:33 PM
In 55 years, twice. Once when I was getting married, for the first time, and really wanted to break my "dirty little habit" and once, when I found out that I had cancer and was going under the knife so that in-case I didn't make it, I didn't want anyone to find out about "Sheila". I tossed some nice shoes, a couple of beautiful dresses and some marvelous lingerie. I feel bad that I didn't donate it. Which, if it ever happens again, I would do. Back then I was still so afraid of being discovered that I just wanted to be rid of it. Having said that, I would also add that we all do things that we feel are right for ourselves at any given moment. It's taken me a very long time to get to the point of being really OK with myself but, who knows? This "Journey" we're on takes so many twists and turns, you never know when the next S@#% Storm will hit! Hopefully, when it does, I'll be wearing something in a light blue chiffon...

Lainie
05-09-2013, 08:49 PM
I've purged a few times, not in the last decade. I do routinely donate clothes to charity that don't fit now, or never got much use. I kind of regret giving up the leopard print dress I wore to my first TG Halloween party, and the black sleeveless A-line with little flowers I wore the very first time in public. I still have the black V-neck blouse with gathered waist & silver scrolling around the neck & hem that I think was the very first outerwear I ever bought--never quite have found the opportunity to wear it in public. But I have just lost 10 pounds, expect to lose another 10 this spring, so it would be just the summer-weight thing to reward myself for the weight loss. Thanks for reminding me!!!

renaej7
05-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Wow! I think I have purged 10 times before my wife and I had the chat. I have not purged in a while.

One Item that I regret: In the beginning I was huge on Victoria Secret RIO, string bikini, and thong panties. I probably had over 60 pairs. One day I purged. I wish I would have never let them go. I had the best colors and designs. To this day I am sick about it.

One Item that has made it through the purges: Boyfriend Old Navy Jeans.

Jessica Who
05-09-2013, 09:32 PM
I haven't purged in years and will never do so again. As far as clothes go, I don't care for anything that I threw away. But, during the purging cycles, I deleted some old digital photos of myself. Would definitely like to have those back, but will never have the chance :(

~Joanne~
05-10-2013, 08:53 AM
I know what you mean Jess, I had a few photos I would have loved to have today to do a comparison on how my look has changed for the better or the worse to todays photos. I keep every photo I take now on a pen drive so that in a few years I can cringe at my latest photos lol

Lacyfem
05-10-2013, 09:06 AM
I've purged multiple times over the years and always regret it but enjoy going back out and shopping for new things. I had very nice sheer pink and lacy bra and panty set I loved to wear as it fit so nicely. The panties full cut but not loose fitting. I wear a size 12 womens shoes and the number of shoes I've purged is really upsetting as it's hard to replace those.

JenniferR771
05-10-2013, 09:15 AM
I have purged when leaving for college, before marriage. At the suggestion of my inept counselor, and at the urging of my wife a few times. Wish I had again, Yes some nice things: maid's outfit, nurse outfit, water bra, human hair wig, pictures from my first makeover, lost wedding dress, and prom dress.

Terri Semes
05-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Purged a couple of weeks back. Went out and bought a dress at a thrift shop" my first attempt at wearing a dress ",put it on ,looked in the mirror and saw Friar Tuck and immediately threw everything I had acquired out , but now wanting to go shopping for more things. Got rid of the clothes but still have the desire.

cdgirl007
05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
I have done this way to many times. But the shopping is fun. But some of the things I got rid of I can't buy anymore.