PDA

View Full Version : Dna

Lorileah
05-06-2013, 04:32 PM
(NB-this is NOT serious...if it were I would cry right now)

There are 23 chromosomes in a human. In those chromosomes there are 20,000-25,000 genes. We all know that the "Y" chromosome has less genes than the "X" so we already know that males are short some genetic material. But the randomness of all the other genes is what makes us all different.

I know I was born without certain "genes". I don't have the gene that requires I stick a fork in a light socket just to see what will happen. I don't have the gene that makes going and drowning worms fun. I don't have the gene that can tell an alternator from the starter. In my case (and this is total honesty) I never had the gene to procreate. In sports I am a reactive person, not a proactive person (I am a better goalie than forward. I am a better corner back than a wide receiver).

Maybe I was born with certain genes others don't have also. We all know that being TG is genetic...right?? :heehee: OK that is a "given" here but not proven.
I have an active imagination and I lean toward arts and music (even though I am in a science field...I think being an artist helps balance what I do.)

OK two questions. What genes do you think you were born with (without) that the middle of the bell curve has (or doesn't).

And how much of what (who) you are is genetic (and not just the TG part...the whole)?

Wouldn't it be fascinating if the TG gene was part of the "X" gene and is only expressed when a gene on the "Y" is suppressed or inactive?

Oh I guess I don't have the gene for counting either...that is three questions

Jenniferathome
05-06-2013, 04:36 PM
(NB-this is NOT serious...it it were I would cry right now)

OK two questions. What genes do you think you were born with (without) that the middle of the bell curve has (or doesn't).

And how much of what (who) you are is genetic (and not just the TG part...the whole)?

I was born without the gene that makes you NOT a cross dresser.

100% of me is genetic. I have no artificial additives.

Lorileah
05-06-2013, 04:40 PM
100% of me is genetic. I have no artificial additives.

always one scientific smart alec in the group :) If it wasn't for additives and preservatives I would be a raisin

Angela Campbell
05-06-2013, 04:51 PM
I think the part of me that is genetic is obvious when you look at my kids. Out of the three they each have some of me but not all of me. My son has a soft heart, but no drive for success. My second - a daughter - has my smart ass attitude and the desire to help all around her. My youngest got all of the artistic qualities. I do not resemble much of my father in looks or personality but little from my mother either. I pray that none of them have the gene that makes me unable to accept my birth gender.

Genetics make up a very large portion of who we are but is shaped wildly by the experiences of life as well.

What I was born without....a drive to compete, the ability to be dishonest to get ahead,

what genes do I have that most on the bell curve do not....well looking around at the world I would have to say common sense.

busker
05-06-2013, 04:52 PM
As prof Indiana Jones says, X never marks the spot. How wrong can a guy be. I have got the genes for blue eyes, so a lot of my genetic glitches are fairly new, geologically speaking. About 6000 years old. I got the gene for music and half the genes for mechanics--I can take it apart but I'll be damned if I can put it together again.
Best of all I got the JEANS that Karren doesn't have. Love those 501's. LOL

Aly Cat
05-06-2013, 04:53 PM
For me....hmmm....

Im terrible at math, but great at science and history...
I love music...major part of my life. I play the violin, piano, cello, and japanese shakuhachi
I dont play sports
I dont know anything about cars...though I CAN change a tire!!
I love pretty things...not just in womens clothing and fashion but also in life; Sunsets, forest scenes, flowers, color and beauty.
I love soft things...cant really think of one in particular...just soft things...fabrics, furs, etc
I have been told by several people within the Eastern religion/new age community that I have had a kundalini experience and am "enlightened" (though I am a Christian by faith)...to much of there bitterness that it hasnt happened to them yet
I tend to feel peoples emotions around me regardless of whether or not they are showing them
I am typically missunderstood and get lots of blank looks when I start babbling on and on about science...thats usually when I break out the phone and say "have you seen that new cat video??" Their eyes light back up and I have their attention again!
How much is genetic? Not entirely sure. My grandfather was an aerospace engineer for NASA but outside of that....I think that I am who I am...someone totally quirky, off the wall, and can easily relate to people but is often missunderstood.

Soriya
05-06-2013, 04:55 PM
What genes do you think you were born with (without) that the middle of the bell curve has (or doesn't).

I believe both I some complicity. Specifically XX and XY or a variation from the normal XY a typical man is supposed to have.

At this point I would say 50/50 despite actual dressing being only about 10% of my time currently. The rest is mostly of an emotional state.

Wouldn't it be fascinating if the TG gene was part of the "X" gene and is only expressed when a gene on the "Y" is suppressed or inactive?

There is much truth to this however not often looked at (yet) when it comes to TG or CD's. You can Google 'Human Chimera' and 'Human Mosaics' and find plenty of information that points to a lot of truth to this, especially Mosaics who are people with a 'mosaic' of chromosomes. Without actually being tested I am 100% sure I am at least a mosaic as I have a lot of the physical signs, mainly 'Blacko Lines' which is striped or patching skin colors. They are prominent early in childhood then mostly face by late teens and can mostly only been seen under certain UV lighting. The patterns on the skin are created the same way they patching hair color you see on a toutishell cat. The chromosomes in that breed are a mosaic mix causing the different hair color patches. It works the same with humans.

My skin patching was mostly on my torso and has all but faded completely however is still very prominent where ummm...the sun doesn't shine. LOL. This is all scientifcally fact however what is not widely studied is the emotional effects having both XX and XY chromosomes have.

Most studies are all centered around Inter-sexed conditions.

Here is an interesting article I found.

http://archderm.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=419529#

busker
05-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Genetics make up a very large portion of who we are but is shaped wildly by the experiences of life as well.

This would be Lamarck's theory of evolution but it is now discredited. What we do in life is NOT carried into our genetic makeup and passed along to offspring. That means that your children will NOT inherit your proclivities to CD.

CynthiaD
05-06-2013, 05:06 PM
I was born without the dancing gene. Despite many lessons, I still have two (or three or four) left feet. It just doesn't make any sense to me. I can't stand dance shows, and can't understand why anyone would.

I was also born without the artist gene. Everything I try to draw ends up looking like a shapeless blob.

And finally, I was born without the Sudoku gene. I love logic puzzles, but even the simplest Sudokus confound me. I still do them, probably because it seems so weird to me that I can do other logic problems but not these. Usually I give up halfway through after realizing that I've put two or three identical digits in the same row.

Angela Campbell
05-06-2013, 05:25 PM
This would be Lamarck's theory of evolution but it is now discredited. What we do in life is NOT carried into our genetic makeup and passed along to offspring. That means that your children will NOT inherit your proclivities to CD.

hmmmm...this is faulty logic. If this is genetic it can very well be passed on. If it is not genetic but a culmination of experiences then the result is that a parent may very well pass on some of these through the lessons taught and lifestyle.

Diana Bain
05-06-2013, 05:27 PM
The 23rd pair, the sex chromosomes, differ between males and females. Females have two copies of the X chromosome, while males have one X and one Y chromosome. I should have put an "X" in that second box...and not asked "Y":D

Lucy_Bella
05-06-2013, 05:39 PM
I'm not a Doctor but I do not believe that the 23rd pair of a strain creates the urge to Xdress..That pair only determines our physical sex ( male xy female yy).. I'd like to believe that ( for most cross dressers) the behavioral pattern comes from the behavioral strains ( we get one from each parent) ..Like all strains errors are made when copied and mutant cells are made to correct the errors..But then again I am not a Doctor..This would explain why we have the desire as a physical male to express in femme at times.. This also could be the reason/reasons why other family members do not have these urges.. Now these mutant cells can be passed on to the next generation as to where you can have other siblings that do have the same urges just like you can have other family members that are gay..

Aly Cat
05-06-2013, 06:15 PM
there are actually 46 chromosomes in the human body 23 from the mother and 23 from the father.within those chromosomes are 64 codeons which can be aligned to a star tetrahedron that can be altered using frequency of sound and light waves. Genetics go really really deep and I would go into a whole lot more detail however I can already see your eyes glazing over.

Brynna M
05-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Clothing and gender presentation is social not genetic. So a genetic connection to crossdressing would have to be indirect in some fashion. There are some characteristics that transcend culture. Females to have more interest in color comes to mine. But an attraction to a skirt is too culturally specific to be genetic by itself.

As far as my genes/traits go I was definitely born without the sports watching gene. I also have trouble hiding/containing my feelings. On the other side I am extremely analytical and technical minded. I have an intuitive streak that I don't use enough.

I think the basics are pretty much genetic. I'm pre-dispossed to be emotional, anylitical, intuitive and interested in femaleness. How I express those predispositions is what makes me. compassion, engineering, spirituality, crossdressing etc.

Lucy_Bella
05-06-2013, 06:29 PM
I know this thread is just for fun... Genes and how we receive them do play a role on how we look act/behave ,our interest and everything we are ..Even our sleeping patterns are passed along to us through the genes we receive ..They have done studies for little boys and girls in a social setting trying to prove that the social settings can create the behavioral patterns..Although they can adjust their behavior in a social pattern they can not maintain or keep the same behavior outside of the setting in most every case..

Jaylyn
05-06-2013, 06:35 PM
I taught Genetics and do believe that a lot of our tendency's to dress are out side stimulus....I wont argue the fact that we really don't know why some people have certain characteristics to be female and some male when some display male and female genitalia. It is an interesting study wish I had pursued and listened more when I was in college. What I taught was a very basic course related to animal science. I also believe that there are genetics involved in what makes us do some of what we do and the only way to over come those characteristics is our brain. This causes in my opinion the frustrations we sometimes feel about expressing ourselves.

PaulaQ
05-06-2013, 06:45 PM
I completely lack the genes that allow one to perform musically in any way, shape or form. I can't sing - I was the kid they told to lip sync in grade school, I'm that bad. I can't keep time. I have no ability to stay on pitch. I have failed at every instrument I've tried to play, and there have been a lot of them. I have completely exasperated every music instructor I have ever had.

I'm also not artistic. My sister got both of these abilities she is a natural.

I got the genes for writing computer programs, science, math, and alcoholism.

I got the gene to be very practical minded. I see this in other members of my extended family.

AllieSF
05-06-2013, 06:48 PM
I like all my genes except for the baggy ones. I know that Karren hates genes and thinks that they are quite unfeminine. I like those other people's genes because they tend to fit tighter and hug my skinny legs better than those genes that I should be wearing because of my makeup. They mostly make me look better and feel better too. Genes last a long time. I don't think that I have any frayed genes or genes with holes in them, is that OK? Though I do have some very old genes. Most of my genes are blue, is that bad?? My genes are very easy to wash because I can mix them with any colors and they do not absorb those other colors. They are also very easy to fold to store away until I need or want to use them. I am so happy that Mr. Levi Strauss invented them. They seem to fit right into my overall makeup so well. Did I say that I also like makeup?

Kate Simmons
05-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Question: How do you tell a male chromosome from a female chromosome?

Answer: You pull down it's genes (jeans).

:)

kimdl93
05-06-2013, 08:06 PM
I've read that over the millennia, the male chromosome has actually been losing genes. Perhaps one day it will disappear entirely...well, not really, it seems to have stabilized.

I wonder myself, whether I lack the beer-gut, tshirt, butt-crack, goatee and baseball cap genes. Maybe they are present, but were suppressed by hormones present in the placenta.

Jenniferathome
05-06-2013, 08:30 PM
I like all my genes except for the baggy ones. I know that Karren hates genes and thinks that they are quite unfeminine. I like those other people's genes because they tend to fit tighter and hug my skinny legs better than those genes that I should be wearing because of my makeup. They mostly make me look better and feel better too. Genes last a long time. I don't think that I have any frayed genes or genes with holes in them, is that OK? Though I do have some very old genes. Most of my genes are blue, is that bad?? My genes are very easy to wash because I can mix them with any colors and they do not absorb those other colors. They are also very easy to fold to store away until I need or want to use them. I am so happy that Mr. Levi Strauss invented them. They seem to fit right into my overall makeup so well. Did I say that I also like makeup?

Allie, that's just hilarious!

I Am Paula
05-07-2013, 12:06 AM
I'm blessed with the gene that makes me able to fix ANYTHING.
I'm lacking the gene that would get me to actually do it in a timely manner.

Tracii G
05-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Could you repeat the question?

Beverley Sims
05-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Lorileah.
Are you talking about generic Jeans?
As a scientist, dont get mixed up in the arts

You have been over thinking or looking at the internet too much.
I joke with my doctor that I will go home and get a second opinion from my computer.
It has an I7 processor inside.... Inside what?
Well it must be good.

My doctors reply, "There are too many doing that and it is a problem."
Like you, in sports I am reactive so I was never a lover of sports.
I think you have to be proactive.

I was always defensive when younger so I got picked on a lot.
I notice the thread is already divisive and like others it s about figures and not probability.

My decisive process is often governed by emotion so chromosome wise I do not know where I stand.
I will leave it to the expert analysts here and let my computer analyze me with a plugin from the internet.

Did I answer your question? No...
Did others answer it?

Bye for now.

manemami
05-07-2013, 12:36 AM
I dont know technical details but believe that i have soft heart, soft mind and soft dick else it is all in my mind which loves all parts of feminity

AmyGaleRT
05-07-2013, 01:37 AM
It's a biological fact that we all start out in the womb as female. In a male embryo, a protein manufactured by the Y chromosome coats the organs that develop as ovaries in females, directing them to become testes. The testes then pump out two androgens; one absorbs what would have become the uterus, and the other causes the penis to develop.

I was reading a fascinating story the other day about one particular young lady who actually has XY chromosomes, but has what's called "androgen insensitivity syndrome," meaning her body was resistant to the effects of androgens in the womb. So she looks and is female, except she has no uterus. She's going to college with the hope of one day being able to teach doctors more about people with her condition.

As for my own genes, they must be pretty scrambled indeed! :)

- Amy

Joanne f
05-07-2013, 03:31 AM
It is defiantly genetic on my part and I do not think that I am missing any but the ones I have are in some way genetically altered to form a hybrid gender gene , so instead of a dominant X or Y I have a hybrid of the two XY = , I put it down to evolution, the next step for humans, hybrid cars, plants, animals and anything else that has been created as a hybrid is celebrated and thought of as being the best of both worlds so I say it is time to celibate us gender hybrids and not think of us as having something missing but something unique .
I know that you all love labels so much :D so I have just created a new one HG or Hybrid Gender :heehee:

ninadiva
05-07-2013, 06:48 AM
To quote PaulaQ

'I got the genes for writing computer programs, science, math, and alcoholism. '

Yeah me too ! Precisely those attributes.

stephNE
05-07-2013, 06:48 AM
I am sure this is genetic, as I was attracted to girly things at a very early age (pre 5). Nothing happened to me, or was forced upon me to make me a CD'er, it was something from within. But I'm not sure it is a genetic thing that can be passed on; I think it is the way all the genes line up and some are "activated" and other suppressed, sort of randomly. In my family all the men are very manly and the women are very femme. But some how I didn't fall into the pattern. Now I have three sons, and all are also very manly, and show no inclination to femme things.

Wildaboutheels
05-07-2013, 07:12 AM
I think this very Forum offers overwhelming evidence that for some, it is obviously genetic, but for the vast majority, it is a combination of Nurture/and all the various trials and tribulations that we have all encountered on our unique varied paths.

The obvious ties that bind almost EVERYone are it being highly visual, and that most have felt guilt/shame at some point and many still do even after XX years.

Angela Campbell
05-07-2013, 07:32 AM
A hybrid?

Maybe so, but it seems that most of the hybrid cars are ugly.

So StephNE your kids seem manly.....so did I. We are masters of disguise, if it is genetic and they have it you may never know.

Joanne f
05-07-2013, 07:46 AM
A hybrid?

Maybe so, but it seems that most of the hybrid cars are ugly.
Well that clinch's it for me as I am also ugly :lol::lol2: hey I might grow up to be a swan , or I might never grow up :)

NicoleScott
05-07-2013, 08:51 AM

Regarging Busker's challenge to this statement and your rebuttal, you both could be right. It depends on "but is shaped". WHAT is shaped? Genetics is shaped? - Busker is right - life experiences cannot be passed on. Who we are is shaped? Yes - we are shaped by life experiences.
I'm not sure what is meant by "as well".

Fifty plus MPG for hybrid? That's a beautiful car! From my POV anyway. It's double what I get now.

Because transgender covers such a broad range of cross-gender behaviors - it's not likely that there a single gene that causes everything under the umbrella. Feminine identity dressers and fetish dressers have very different drives to dress, but they are both crossdressers, and by definition are TG.
Until that/those gene(s) are identified that cause a genetic male's feminine identity, believing it's all genetic is dogma.
A different problem for fetish dressers. A CDer may have a fetish for certain items of feminine wear (high heels, for example) and likes to transform completely as a way of enjoying the fetish experience. Along an evolutionary timeline, high heels are just a recent blink. Whatever caused a person to have such a fetish must certainly be entirely the result of some early childhood experience, not genetic.

Claire Cook
05-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Well for not so serious question we've got some pretty serious ( just pretty?) answers. I like AllySF's best. But gee, I have holes in some of my genes (Holey chromosome, Batgirl!).

There is a serious side to this that some of you have touched on, and there have been numerous threads about this. There is evidence that hormonal experience in the womb can affect gender ID, and the take home is that we should not feel there is something wrong because we CD. In a sense, some of us were born that way. Another thought: that precious X (and other jeans, oops genes) that we got from our moms control things in our bodies -- like how much our boobs grow in response to HRT.

Laura912
05-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Actually there is a very nice experiment that showed, at least in crows, that life experiences can be passed to the offspring by modification of proteins associated with genes.

I did not get the scratch, chew and spit gene.

JenniferR771
05-07-2013, 12:24 PM
I think the crossdresser and transgender tendencies are present from birth...but they are not genetic. If crossdressing were genetic--twin brothers would be the same in regard to crossdressing. And transgender persons would run in families. Was your father a crossdresser? Your son? your daughter? Its a mystery. It is perhaps like being born gay--not genetic, but it happens. Its like being born left-handed--not genetic, but it happens.
It is has been known for years that gay men have more older brothers than average...this is evidence that homosexuality begins before birth. Your brain sex does not always match your anatomical sex.

Lorileah
05-07-2013, 02:56 PM
I think the crossdresser and transgender tendencies are present from birth...but they are not genetic. If crossdressing were genetic--twin brothers would be the same in regard to crossdressing.

Ah a quandary, then by the same reasoning homosexuality cannot be genetic. There have been cases recently where one is straight and the other is gay...maybe one is confused? Now that is when you are talking identical twins, not fraternal because sometimes one of those twins decides they want to be female long before birth. It is a puzzlement, yes? No?

mikiSJ
05-07-2013, 03:34 PM
I got the gene that allowed me to through away a promising career in baseball and at 14 join a group of boys who smoked allowing me to eff-up the remainder of my healthy life.

(Yes , at 14 I was added to the scout listby the Baltimore Orioles together with schoolmate/teammate George Wolger who actually signed with the Orioles A/AA teams in 1966. I could hit, George could pitch!

busker
05-07-2013, 08:03 PM
I think the crossdresser and transgender tendencies are present from birth...but they are not genetic. If crossdressing were genetic--twin brothers would be the same in regard to crossdressing.
In a long-term study of identical twins, only 12% of them got the same illness, so no, it wouldn't necessarily hold that twins would be crossdressers together.
Again, if there were not some genetic predisposition to a "femme" personality for lack of a better term, than how would we explain that this is a world wide phenomena? There has to be, at least according to science, some basic explanation that works for all "crossdressers". It cannot be explained by wearing mommies pantyhose or shoes or being born in Brooklyn on July 4th or any of those other things.
As Nicole points out once again, the genetic thing DOES NOT apply to people who have developed fetishes because that is based more in the realm of psychology. we "get off" based on certain pictures, modes of dress, visions, and a whole lot more. Or, some people just like to dress up (excluding drag artists who do this for entertainment, just as actors change costumes).
If people in Iran do this and people in Australia do this, there has to be some "natural" explanation. If something is present at birth, it is either biochemical (big possibility for some) or genetic glitch for others. (maybe resessive gene, IDK). In families there can be blue-eyed children and brown-eyed, brown being the oldest--at least 200000 years old, blue is 6-10 thousand years old genetically.

Lucy_Bella
05-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Busker ,

Pretty close with the 12 percent..Not agree'd upon by science ,the human body actually has 12 STRANDS of DNA ..Some scientist say we only use 3 others say we use 4 ( because there are 4 chemicals in our DNA).. It could be a possibility that WE have advanced using these unused DNA strands that " Normal Humans" do not us.. In the past scientist have written off the unused DNA strands as viruses but recent studies have shown that we humans are still advancing and these strands could be in use..

Sometimes Steffi
05-07-2013, 10:12 PM
I am 96% XY and 4% XXY. For real! Normally XXY is associated with Klinefelter syndrome.

However, I don't have any of the tyical symptoms of Klinefelter syndrome, except my arms are very skinny.