PDA

View Full Version : being "pathetic" isn't an insult?

Keri
12-15-2005, 01:22 PM
In a rare fit of unrelated anger, my lady lashed out with a “you are pathetic” criticism and it hurt. That was, until I did a bit of research into the origin of the word “pathetic”, as follows.

Pathos [Greek, Ελληνική : suffering.] [as opposed to Ethos (appeals based on character of the speaker) and Logos (appeal based on logic or reason)]

1. A quality in another that arouses feelings of pity, sympathy, tenderness, or sorrow.
2. A feeling of sympathy, sorrow or pity so aroused for the other person’s misfortune.
3. An emotional appeal to another's pride or character as a means of persuasion.

Pathos: Pathos is related to the words pathetic, sympathy and empathy. Whenever you accept a claim based on how it makes you feel without fully analyzing the rationale behind the claim, you are acting on pathos. They may be any emotions: love, fear, patriotism, guilt, hate or joy. A majority of arguments in the popular press are heavily dependent on pathetic appeals. The more people react without full consideration for the WHY, the more effective an argument can be. Although the pathetic appeal can be manipulative, it is the cornerstone of moving people to action. Many arguments are able to persuade people logically, but the apathetic audience may not follow through on the call to action. Appeals to pathos touch a nerve and compel people to not only listen, but to also take the next step and act in the world.

So – the potential insult of being called “pathetic” could mean that my gal was empathizing with my plight of being femme-on-the-inside but not being able to realize that inner persona. It IS a pity that I cannot be the real me, and sympathy and tenderness ARE valid reactions, so, just maybe, her seemingly cruel statement, if analyzed dispassionately, isn’t so cruel after all.

Am I rationalizing again?

Betty
12-15-2005, 01:42 PM
There is so much ignorance. I think you should substitute the word 'sensitive' for pathetic. Far from empathising your accuser shows and complete lack of understanding.

erica12b
12-15-2005, 01:51 PM
i dont think she read that, sorry

Stelli
12-16-2005, 05:46 AM
Apart from educational value an general now I know where comes the word patos in my mothers language. In that language patos means floor. There is surely some connection between these two as meaning is simillar. I never tought that this may link to pathetic. Most Amusing. Thank you!