PDA

View Full Version : Collge girls what is it like out there?

Paula_56
05-08-2013, 04:59 AM
When I was that age last century ha! There was no such thing being transgender or even gay for that matter. I can see that gay people are out on campus and really not unusual these days.

My question is are transgendered people common on campus. Are girls coming out more? Are they accepted?

What's it like to be young and trans today?

Brynn_A
05-08-2013, 05:49 AM
Hiya Paula!

I can't speek for the young crowd as I am not even in the neighborhood. My observations and experience say that overall, society is more accepting. I know that in my corner of the world, there are many CD's and transexuals who are accepted and embraced by our community. This seems to not be related to whether or not they "pass". Even myself, I now have regular visitors to my work who refer to me as sister and girlfriend, even though I work in drab. Who knows?

ClaudineD
05-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Was lucky to go to liberal college, University of Vermont, many moons ago......at that time the only organized group, small, was the LGB level with no T conversation, participation or whisper........having been out and about at early age, I started hanging out with the L crowd. Was slowly accepted and full on participation by End of soph year......those gals were pioneers back then and still friends with many......TG was not even on the horizon as an component of LGBT back then.....mainstreamed as ME around campus all the time.....those girls gave me the courage to just flaunt it and get over my fears.....today it must be so easy to transition in open.....

boink
05-08-2013, 08:45 AM
I'm both younger and work in higher ed, and my experience has been that at most (non religious/conservative) institutions LGBTQ people are widely accepted as normal. I work for a pretty liberal/progressive institution so I may have a slightly different experience than others, but I know actively of at least a few trans students even on our small campus in addition to loads of other lesbian/gay/bisexual/queer/allied/etc. kids. There are a number of institutions, mine included, that even have gender neutral housing policies. Which is not to say that trans people even at colleges don't have plenty of problems to deal with, but things are getting better.

Briana90802
05-08-2013, 08:47 AM
I live in Long Beach, CA and there are quite a few transgender people on my campus. Sadly, even though I live in a fairly progressive town there are some that feel the need to harass our TG sisters.

Jaylyn
05-08-2013, 09:54 AM
I can honestly say there is not many places out in West Texas that will accept it especially in the smaller western towns. If you are dressed or show any female characteristics you could still get Tarred and feathered...lol To dress and venture out one needs to be in the larger towns and the larger campuses.

mmgirl04
05-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Being in College right now. I can say their is a lot of acceptance of the LGB community but no so much of the T part. Transgenderism is still something kind of Taboo in public were I live.

jim1991
05-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Im about to graduate and despite LGB organizations there is very few crossdressers for the most part a heterosexual cd is not accepted. I would never go out in public

Alexis

Sabrina133
05-08-2013, 11:32 AM
My undergraduate experience is somewhat irrelevant as i went to a service academy where there were no LGBT cadets - can you detect the sarcasm? Interesting enough, now that DADT has been lifted, there is now an active school sanctioned LBG support group. Nothing yet on T and i suspect that wont happen any time soon.

In grad/law school, gays and lesbians were easily accepted. This was 2006/2007. I slowly came out of male mode (let my hair grown, ears pierced) into first an adrogenous (shaped brows, light makeup, longer nails) look and later into full blown girl mode over a 16 month period. Since most people who knew me saw me change gradually, it wasnt too shocking for them to accept me as Sabrina when i finally showed up for class in a skirt and blouse. Guess its the frog in the cold water pot vs the same frog in the pot of hot water analogy. Again, this was graduate school where all of the students were older and more mature. Hardest part was transitioning back into guy mode to get a job. Talk about crossdressing - Oh Boy!

busker
05-08-2013, 05:53 PM
In yesterday's NYTIMES, there was an article about 2 transgendered people, one male, one female, who wanted to be on sports teams and it appears to be problematic for both . and still issues with bathroom use in schools for t-kids. Some laws are changing to facilitate easier going for t folks but when everything has to be legislated, I suspect it is not going to be anytime soon that really any of LBGT spectrum will have an easy time of it. Yes, in some quarters it is easier, but in mainstream America, probably not so much. When we actually practice "all men are created equal" as the Constitution says, rather than the still "separate but equal" that appears to be in place most everywhere, then things will be different. When we have to legislate equality, there isn't any.

CarmenSkye
05-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Hey there, repping the University of Wisconsin here :). My campus is very liberal and is really accepting. There are plenty of LGBT friendly clubs and locations. For me personally, though, I feel that it's more "accepting" to be gay than to be trans on campus. I rarely see trans/crossdressers on campus (partially why I keep in the closet still). I'm sure there are others though.