PDA

View Full Version : ***Poll*** Own hair vs wig

Erica Marie
05-09-2013, 06:26 AM
How many of you girls are able to get by styling your own hair into a female style or must you resort to wearing a wig. Do you feel like its easier to feel female if you dont have to wear a wig.
For me I feel like a wig is just not part of me. Like its partially a costume. But growing my own hair out to the point of being able to style it may throw off signals that I dont want anyone to catch.

Kalista Jameson
05-09-2013, 06:44 AM
I prefer wigs. I keep my hair buzzed. Makes me versatile in everyday situations. Sometimes gas and go is on the menu, so being buzzed is convenient. When I doll up and want to change my look, a new top is only an Amazon order away.

Cheers,

Kalista

sometimes_miss
05-09-2013, 06:54 AM
If I still had lots of nice hair, I'd style that like I did when I was young. But I don't. So I wear wigs. They get hot, so I just keep the house cooler than normal, and it's not a problem. Ebay has lots of vendors for wigs; you can try the cheaper ones like I do or go for human hair wigs which cost 10 times as much.

Angela Campbell
05-09-2013, 07:23 AM
I feel the same way about a wig. I feels like a costume, but at the present I have no choice. I am growing it out and we will see in a few years if I can make it look good enough to stop with the wigs. It is a large part of what makes us look feminine though.

xdressed
05-09-2013, 07:26 AM
I always use my own hair, gives me a lot more options and just feels better than a wig. I have a couple for cosplay but for girl mode it's all natural ^_^

Beverley Sims
05-09-2013, 07:28 AM
At one time fashion dictated men wore their hair long.
It was wonderful.
Fashions changed and I was back to a wig.
When I had my own hair I learned to live with it and styled it as I wanted.
I could even go to a salon and have it styled. I could get the odd highlight in it and get away with it.
You see, I was blonde and as a woman I could add bombshell to the description in those days.

These days, reality has got a real bite.

Starr
05-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Well my photo is my hair so you decide... my hair is cut in a fem style with bangs.. i wear it up in a high girl like ponytail when working or in boy mode...
The thing with me is the long hair gave me so much confidence that i just felt great going out in public dressed, i didn't feel like i was hiding who i am under a wig. Everything you see is me, yea a little extra with the makeup and jewelry but it is me.. last friday after getting my hair done i went to get a new photo for my state id... can't wait to see what it looks like when the id comes back..

Kate Simmons
05-09-2013, 07:39 AM
I keep my hair buzzed for practicality also.(I may try a Susan Powter like look sometime ;).) When it comes to the wig, I consider it part of the particular female "outfit" I am wearing. When I'm in "femme" mode I do consider it part of myself and my overall image.:battingeyelashes::)

linda allen
05-09-2013, 07:48 AM
A couple months ago I decided to grow my hair out long enough for a female style. Much of this was because my wife said she didn't like my wig and it looked "fake". It is a lot more trouble to care for long hair than short. It got pretty raggy looking and my wife aand a few friends suggested that I go back to my old length and style.

If you still have all your hair and the will and patience to care for it, natural hair beats a wig every time.

On the other hand, if you don't want people to recognize you, a wig is a great diversion, especially in a different color from your natural hair (as long as the color still goes with your complexion).

So I'm planning on buying a shorter wig with the hope that my wife likes it better than the one I have. I may go partially grey which is my natural color.

Stephanie Miller
05-09-2013, 08:05 AM
In my earlier years it was wigs, because I was working for others and corporations expected a certain image. Wigs did give style diversity but were very uncomfortable. Even more so in the Phoenix summer heat.
Now that I have me own company I have grown my hair out. It's my real hair in my profile without extensions to help fill out and I have added extensions to help fulness in my avitar. When not in girl mode I just tie it back in a ponytail. Much more comfortable as well as enjoyable.

Cheryl T
05-09-2013, 08:09 AM
While I don't enjoy wearing my wigs I really have no choice. Nature played that cruel trick on me and gave me my long hair in college and has since taken it away making me resemble a monk.

Leanne2
05-09-2013, 08:20 AM
Some of us have good luck in the hair department and I am blessed with thick curly hair. Then my naturally low T levels have let me keep my hair into my middle 60s. As I have gotten older I have allowed myself to present as a more feminine person. Now everyone is used to seeing me this way. So, no wigs for me. But I can see where a wig would be handy for someone trying to maintain a masculine look in boy mode. I just don't change that much from guy to gal mode. Leanne

Linda7
05-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Loosing hair, so it has to be a wig... problem is, recently moved and no longer have the wig! I think it's on its way to Cleveland.

Bethany38
05-09-2013, 08:25 AM
I have grown out my own hair because I can. I dye it to get rid of the grey, but I love having long hair.

franny lin
05-09-2013, 08:25 AM
My hair is to thin so i need wigs.

kristinacd55
05-09-2013, 08:29 AM
I would prefer my natural hair, and it would eventually look real good cause I'm blessed with a full head of hair. The wig's a pain, but necessary in my current circumstance :)

Lacyfem
05-09-2013, 08:29 AM
This is a very good question. I'm about 50/50 wearing wigs as sometimes like to dress with full makeup and all but no wig. Have found the few men I've been with this way have loved the look though my own hair not that long. The wigs though certainly give you the opportunity to see how many different looks you can have as a woman and with all the different styles and hair colors you can go crazy changing your look. But isn't that what women do? On the other hand if you wear them for any period of time they get hot and uncomfortable. It's a feeling at the time I dress as to wig or no wig.

MysticLady
05-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Erica, I agree. I'm in the process of growing my mane big and long and I really don't care what people think. I will grow it out and style it to my liking and it's going to be wonderful having my OWN big hair.:daydreaming:

Julie Denier
05-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Count me among those for whom diminishing hair has made wigs a must.

VickysBFF
05-09-2013, 09:18 AM
EricaMarie: My answer is both. I have grown my hair out for several years now and it is fairly long but I have very fine, thin hair. My wig really feminizes me and helps my look a whole lot. It all depends on where I am going and what I am doing. I would say that probably 75-80% of the time I am wearing a wig but if I am doing something outdoors like attending a sporting event or something very casual like grocery shopping or running errands I will wear my hair down or in a ponytail with a girl-style cap.

Annette Todd
05-09-2013, 09:21 AM
I still have all my hair at 50 so I am letting it grow. it's been 2 years now and it is past my shoulders for the most part.

Erica Marie
05-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Seems so far it is a split between either thinning hair requiring a wig and a few of the lucky ones who have hair suited for a female style when needed. As far as me, I prefer my male hair short and worry free. When I was younger I had long hair but times change and so do styles. Now for me to let it grow out, along with shaved legs I am afraid it will give me away. Any one else in the same situation?

Alexis.j
05-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Well, I'm growing what hair I still have, don't know why, but attempting it anyway, otherwise, wigs it is for me...

Diana Bain
05-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Bald in those places were men go bald....have a buzz cut which helps cut down the heat of my wig.

GothicEmily
05-09-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm nearly completely bald up top. My hair has been in retreat since the GHWBush administration.

Even when I had hair it was terrible. Back when I had hair in college I tried growing it out. Remember the "hair farmer" New Wave styles of the 1980s? Not "heavy metal hair-band", not a mullet, but ... just "big hair"? I tried growing it out to try to do one of those with it and got nowhere. It was extremely thick, and was curly but not evenly so...it was just this untameable *mass* that went every which way and refused to do anything. So even if I still had it, I don't think it'd be much good to try to grow it out into something that could be adapted into a feminine hairstyle.

ArleneRaquel
05-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Wigs for over 40 years. I have a great deal of my own hair, but I prefer wigs.

~Joanne~
05-09-2013, 11:44 AM
I would prefer my own hair compared to a wig but I have been shaving my head so long that even to get it back to where it was before I shaved it would take forever, let alone letting it grow to a point where it could be styled. I love the variety you get from wigs. You can go curly, straight, long , short, different colors......it all depends on your pocket book I guess :) What I really want is one that looks natural and not like a wig, that's the real challenge.

Jessica Who
05-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Wigs all the way. You can change color & style at the drop of a dime :)

Ressie
05-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Although my hair is long, full and blonde I prefer to wear a wig. Oops, I meant was...

Sandra1746
05-09-2013, 12:56 PM
I am growing my hair long, it is now down below my shoulders. I however am 'blessed' with a full head of hair so MPB is not an issue. Long hair is more of a problem and requires more care but it is what I am going with. BTW, mine is white-blonde, almost no color left.

Hugs,
Sandra1746

Marissa V
05-09-2013, 01:09 PM
own hair, no contest :p

TGMarla
05-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Wig all the way for me! It's the only way I can have any actual hair. The real stuff keeps falling out!

reb.femme
05-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Unfortunately, I can only grow my forehead, where nature has decided that my forehead wishes to meet with the nape. So wigs it is :daydreaming:

Plus I got used to having a No.2 razor from my military days, so don't miss it that much either, bar the fact things would be easier in girl mode.

Rebecca

Angela Campbell
05-09-2013, 02:29 PM
I do wear wigs now but when I was younger I had hair down to my mid back. I miss it a lot. I remember cutting it off for a job.

mikiSJ
05-09-2013, 03:46 PM
My hair is 9" and I want to get to 12". Most everyone I know likes it as it is and so do I!

Brittany CD
05-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Always wigs. I keep my natural hair short

CynthiaD
05-09-2013, 05:07 PM
I used to have long pretty hair, but my wife didn't like it, so I cut it short. Now I'm bald as an egg, and it's wigs or nothing.

Jaymees22
05-09-2013, 05:44 PM
I do both and prefer to use my own hair but think I probably look better in a wig.

heatherdress
05-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Wig - for the good reasons already stated.

Emma Leigh
05-09-2013, 06:34 PM
I could,nt imagine wearing a wig...I appreciate some of us have to though and I empathise...but I love having my own hair though I dont think I would go as far as having it cut in a female style

mmgirl04
05-09-2013, 06:53 PM
I prefer my own hair just feels a lot more natural, never liked short hair anyway.
One time I was getting haircut with the same hairdresser of my mother and sister and she told me we all have the same hairstyle, so I guess I'm was a little bless in that part.
The really hard part is really maintaining a male look with long hair so is kind of contradictions. :heehee:

*Amelia*
05-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Natural hair for me. Not opposed to wigs, but my own hair feels like me( obvious I know lol) And its long already. I always wanted long hair as a kid, but I could never have it, so once I turned 18, I grew it out and haven't looked back since!

Jilmac
05-09-2013, 09:35 PM
For me, a wig is a necessessity to cover up my bald noggin.

AmyGaleRT
05-09-2013, 10:03 PM
I wear my own hair, and I'm fortunate in several ways. First, I do have good hair, and I'm not losing it. Second, my fiancee likes me with long hair, even in guy-mode, so I was able to start growing it out long before she knew about my Amy-side. Third, I work in a profession where guys with long hair and ponytails are not unheard of, and are almost cliche figures, in fact.

In Amy mode, I let my hair down, brush the part more to the center, brush it out as straight as I can get it, and use cute hair accessories like a headband or barrettes. And I'm getting it trimmed on Saturday, hopefully to reshape into something a little more more feminine. Afterwards, just re-part on the left and gather it back into a ponytail, and I'll be good to go in guy mode again!

- Amy

darla_g
05-09-2013, 10:35 PM
I like the variety of having a number of wigs. I had tried to wear my hair in a feminine style years ago, but wigs work best as far as I am concerned.

Ceri Anne
05-09-2013, 11:48 PM
I would love to be able to use my own hair, but since its a bit thin on top, (not bald) and the hair line has receeded a bit, I'm kind of stuck with a wig. Makes me wish I started dressing when I was a teen, had awesome thick full head of hair then.

BLUE ORCHID
05-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Hi Erica, At 70 I still have a full head of hair but I keep it in a regular male haircut.
I have about thirty wigs all styles , lengths & colors but my favorite is the
blonde shoulder length lightly curly wig it is the one that gets about 95% of the time that I'm dressed.

bridget thronton
05-10-2013, 08:28 AM
My own hair with a fem cut

Brynn_A
05-10-2013, 08:29 AM
It's all mine. Thankful to have it.

dawnmarrie1961
05-10-2013, 09:27 AM
When my hair was really long I loved to have fun with it by wearing it in different styles. But then I shaved it all off because my oldest daughter had cancer and her hair was falling out. I didn't want her looking at me, with my blonde locks, and feeling bad about herself. But after I shaved it all off I began missing my hair. I didn't feel quite like myself without it. Kinda vain of me huh? So I look my daughter with me to the wig store at the mall and we spent the afternoon trying on various wigs. I showed her how fun it is to experiment with different wigs. Each one gave her a completely new look. It was nice to see her smile. "You are more than just the sum of your hair." I told her.
She purchased a wig that most closely matched the color, length and style of how her real hair was.
I'd call that "Having a good hair day."

cdgirl007
05-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Wigs, in boy mode I would never be able to have long hair. But I would love to have a spike girl cut one day

Dana L
05-10-2013, 07:00 PM
I used to wear wigs but they were so uncomfortable and fake looking. Since my real hair is still full enough I let it grow out. I have it permed and dyed and style it feminine. At work I pull it back into a ponytail and put it up under a hat or I'll just pull it back and put on a hat. Even in guy mode I still wear it out and down. Hey I grew up in the 80's. I loved my long hair then and I love it now.

brenne
05-10-2013, 07:34 PM
My hair's getting long enough to ponytail, use hair pins, etc, though I have to cover a few small bald spots ... I'm grateful, though, to have hair at my age.

About 10 1/2 years ago, when I started really getting into it, I purchased a nice red-hair wig, but the tape kept coming loose...

So I'll work with what I got as long as I can.

tall2826
05-10-2013, 09:15 PM
I want a wig because I don't like my hair to be naturally long but I have no idea where to start on wigs.

dreamer_2.0
05-10-2013, 09:20 PM
If I had the choice, own hair. But as genetics took that choice, wigs it is. :(

paulaprimo
05-10-2013, 09:33 PM
just about the only true femme quality that i have is my hair...so i don't wear wigs! :)

Nicole Brown
05-10-2013, 09:39 PM
I have been wearing a wig for years, but in the past year I have just let my own hair grow. Right now it is almost down to my shoulders and once it is another inch or two longer I will have it colored and styled and retire the wigs.

Janine cd
05-10-2013, 09:55 PM
I prefer a wig because my own hair is always cut short and really can't be styled in a feminine way.

PretzelGirl
05-11-2013, 12:29 AM
I have only ever dressed while styling my long hair. It takes a little more effort on a daily basis, but it just feels right for me.

Joanne Curl
05-11-2013, 10:42 AM
I would love to do away with my wigs and grow my hair long but I don't have enough hair left- damned male patterned baldness. I hate how hot my heads gets with a wig but I have no choice if I want to be pretty.

Christine.Lolita
05-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Wig are good for me. Gives you the option of trying many different styles.

Acastina
05-11-2013, 08:11 PM
I let my hair grow out starting three years ago. It's male-pattern thin in front and back but otherwise pretty luxuriant (and still most of its color) for my age. After a lot of research, I went to a local wig shop (great folks, local owners, no big deal) and found a hairpiece that clips in around the crown. Near-perfect color match. So, if someone were to try to yank my "wig" off by pulling on the ends, my head comes with it.

It's a wonderful feeling, totally liberating, and the closest I can get to having my own hair be passable. It took a while to learn just how to position it and get the clips tight, but I have three or four ways to arrange the bangs for different looks. I think it's maybe too long for my age (old hippie lady?), so I may have it cut a bit to avoid looking like old hippie dude, and I'm experimenting with a curling iron and teasing my own a bit to avoid that Cher center-part look (but sometimes that's my mood).

Wigs are quick, easy, and versatile, but I love having what's up there be 90 percent mine. Everyday boy mode? Ponytail at various heights. No problem.

Julie Gaum
05-11-2013, 08:33 PM
In the last year I've visited the barber less and less. Problem, maybe, is my hair has always been curly so hard to style without mousse.
Thanks to my mother's genes I have all my hair, now silver. However, as commented, when and if I ever go outside the "closet" I have a wig
for disguise, or so I imagine. I know one member who will scream reading this because she believes, perhaps correctly, that I worry too much.
Julie

5150 Girl
05-11-2013, 08:47 PM
As I rocker, my real hair has always bee on the long-sih side... How-some-ever, in recant years, Mother Nature has caused me to find the need for a wig, both en-fem, and for "ugly" to...

Deborah Kaye
05-11-2013, 10:27 PM
I wear wigs all the time due to early onset male pattern baldness by early 20s. Nicole Briown, I'm so jealous. wish I could grow my hair out like you and color it whatever. I met someone at a meeting tonight whose hair is totally natural looked tremendous. Between that an her bare shoulders, ooo lah lah!

Juliea661
05-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Hi Erica, wigs for me, as I am in guy mode 90% of the time. I keep my hair short for ease; actually buzz it myself. Wigs are quick, easy, and I can change it up based on my mood, as I have three (lucky boy). BUT, wigs are hot and unpleasant to sleep in... I see the large effort my wife has to put in for her hair, and it is not worth it for 10% of my time. Maybe if i dress more I'd consider letting my hair grow out.
HA! But in my next life as a GG ... definitly below the the shoulders flowing sandy blonde hair for this girl!!!! LOL
Hugs, Jules

ilana
05-12-2013, 01:17 PM
I just don't have the patience for long hair in guy mode. It would be nice if I could just snap my fingers and have long hair for girl mode, but as it is I'm ok with a wig. Wigs make it easier to play around with different styles anyway.

Jan Michell Collins
05-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Well sense I don;t have any hair It will have to be a wig .

rita63
05-12-2013, 03:00 PM
I am blessed with genes that not only give me a full head past my shoulders but I'm over 60 and still have some colour. A GG friend told me my hair looks like Veronica Lake, my only good part.
I have sometimes felt jealous of friends who wear wigs though because they can change style and colour on a whim and can take it off and fade into the background, sometimes that would be nice.

hugs rita

Alison1842
05-12-2013, 04:55 PM
For the last few years i have tried on multiple occasions to grow my hair, just never been able to get it to the point were its a length that flops instead of being a mess. Due to work i don't get time to have a half hour hair salon appointment, equally i hate going to the hair dressers any rate. Due to my line of work it also fills up with pretty damn near every thing and gets itchy and horrible by the end of the day. Hence so far i always end up pulling the clippers out and going back to a number 3. Its cool, its simple and its low maintenance.

Would love shoulder length or longer but realistically its probably about 2 years growth for me, and for at least the first year or so of that i really don't have the skills to keep it neat - presentable. As it gets longer i could, but that in-between bits a problem i don't know how to resolve. That said i have good genes and based on grand parents i probably could damn near still grow a decent pony tail length in my 70's :-) So i do have time on my side for now. Hence the latest purchase was my first ever wig, will see how it goes and take things from there. At least its cheap, fast and easy to try. May well provide the determination to grow my own for real.

Loni
05-12-2013, 06:37 PM
i wish i could still grow hair on my head.

so i have to answer: wig.

Barbara Dugan
05-12-2013, 06:56 PM
I know wigs are more glamorous but I just started to growth my own, its odd that I get more comments from people about my hair than my waxed brows

Rogina B
05-12-2013, 07:20 PM
However, as commented, when and if I ever go outside the "closet" I have a wig
for disguise, or so I imagine. I know one member who will scream reading this because she believes, perhaps correctly, that I worry too much.
Julie
That's right...I say "get out there"! I didn't see any angry athletic supporters chasing me with torches and forks the other night,did you?

Erica Marie
05-13-2013, 05:47 AM
Well it seems as if those of us who can grow our hair dont because its too much maintanance, and those of us who are balding wish they could go back to the day of long hair. I fit into the group of us who like low maintanance. It would be nice to have the freedom to style my hair, sems you can do so much more with your own hair han you can with a wig. For example wear it up, ponytail (sporty look) and wear clips and bands in your hair. So for now I rely on a wig, just have to get the hang of styling it.

jfem
05-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Seeing as I have no hair, its a wig for me!

Cheryl Ann Owens
05-13-2013, 12:47 PM
I have mixed feelings. I'd love to grow out my hair and "maybe" hide the bald spot I've developed, and wear it in a ponytail. But I'm very impatient too. If I could, I'd still tuck it all up under a wig. I mainly wear wigs because I like changing my look. I'd love to go back to the early 1990's when I grew it out and got curly perms with additional clip-on pieces to fill in!

Cheryl

KarenCDFL
05-13-2013, 02:35 PM
My own has grown to my mid back and has greyed with age.

I have gone out with both my own hair and with wigs and honestly I could go either way. I prefer my own hair for all the obvious reasons why people dislike using wigs but it is very nice to be able to change your look like we change our clothes and makeup.

Sejd
07-08-2013, 11:46 PM
I just purchased my second wig and love it. All natural human hair and it looks GREAT!

Ellie52
07-09-2013, 12:07 AM
I would love to be able to have a little hair. Unfortunately that went a long time ago..Ill have to stick to the wig I think..Ellie

Tracii G
07-09-2013, 12:19 AM
I can go either way wigs are nice tho' slap it on fluff it up and go.
Been letting mine grow for the last year and a half so its down to the shoulders right now.I can pull off a decent femme style using hot rollers or curling iron.
It comes out shorter with a style in it but thats OK.
I have 24 in extensions too that I use sometimes.

Kimberly Kael
07-09-2013, 12:22 AM
I went with a wig early on, partly to make myself less recognizable during my early forays out. It is fun to be able to switch styles in a moment, but I found the extra heat difficult to take and ultimately enjoyed working with my own hair. Thankfully I've been blessed in that department so far (that's my own hair in my avatar, colored and styled more aggressively than usual but otherwise natural.) There's no right or wrong, and plenty of women wear wigs for a variety of reasons.

Brooklyn
07-09-2013, 12:38 AM
I say wigs or extentions for most CD's. I look at hair all day long, and there are some natural differences between genetic male and female hair. Even if you have all, or almost all of your hair, the hairline is different. Women have less recession at the corners of the forehead, and that gives a more rounded appearance to the face. Also, men produce about twice the scalp oil as women, so our hair tends to look dull, without volume, thinner, and our follicles clog up and cause faster hair loss as a result. Our skulls appear larger, so we actually need more hair to diminish the relative size of the face. Then, you also may have to pluck the beard hair from the head-hair in the sideburn area. If you want pretty feminine hair, just know it takes time and effort and start workin' that roller brush and blow-dryer. Most GG's get highly frustrated with their time-consuming attempts to look good and prevent bad hair days. Color is another expensive commitment because the roots have to be touched up every 4-5 weeks. Wigs are fun and relatively cheap compared to keeping up long hair. Maybe having long hair and trying to style it well just to walk out the door, however, can give you a little insight into the limitations GG's often have to deal with.