PDA

View Full Version : Experiences while out in public

BeckyAnderson
12-15-2005, 08:35 PM
I've had nothing but great experiences when out in public. Shopping, restaurants, movies, supermarkets and even walks in the park during warmer weather. There are always a few who pass you by and roll their eyes or whisper to another person. And then there are a few people who, if you are standing in a line waiting for something, engage you in conversation and seem quite content. My most pleasurable interaction with the public has been while clothes shopping. I was curious what others have experienced when they were out and about.

Hugs,
Becky

Katrina
12-15-2005, 09:10 PM
Becky,
When I went out shopping the first time, the guy at the register was making small talk with me. I think he was interested. The second time I went out, I made a fatal mistake and had some male scents on (soap, deodorant) and not enough perfumy smells. One girl that worked in one of the stores I think clocked me because I hear a slight chuckle from her as I walked by. Nobody else payed attention to me on that shopping trip though. Overall it was positive both times.

LeannL
12-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Well, where to begin. I have been going out regularly for several years now. I have never had a bad experience. Early on, I had less than ideal experiences since I was worried about passing 100%. Can't be done. So when one gets over it, you can enjoy yourself. Some experiences:

As I posted in my first post, I go to church (Catholic) often. It allows me to worship as I need to; especially as I continue to grow in my self-understanding.

Been to many restaurants. Usually alone but sometimes with others. Restaurants include Denny's, Bob Evans, Cracker barrel, McD's, Old Country Buffet, as well as Chinese buffets. The latter are the easiest to deal with. Tell them what you want to drink and that is the end of the conversation. One time at OCB, I knew I had been read but what do you do? You finish the meal since you paid for it. As I was leaving, a young lady who worked there came running out (literally) and chased me down. She said "I want to thank you for having the courage to be yourself". She then gave me a big hug and went back to work. Read but a wonder experience none the less.

Gone shopping. Most often for the groceries - dressed but usually not in skirts. Shopped at the thrift stores. More often than not dressed.

Gone to the symphony several times, dressed in a suit or dress. Bought the cheap seats so I had a lot of stairs to navigate in heels but that was fun. Had a group of students ask another lady and me to take a picture of them. I let the other lady do it since I didn't think that I could project my femme voice well enough to have them hear me when I told them to smile :)

Recently, for the first time, I had my nails done. I was in a long skirt and turtleneck. I can't believe that the girl doing the work didn't know but she didn't say anything. We had a conversation about work, Christmas shopping and the like. One hang up that I have is that I couldn't go to a place where a guy would do my nails. Maybe some day... BTW, it was really nice getting the nails done. Try it.

There are others but I can't think of them now.

Leann

GypsyKaren
12-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Hi Becky

I've never had any real problems while out, the worst being a few giggles here and there. We once ended up at a redneck/biker chick type bar, I got a few stares and laughs, but they settled down and left us alone.

Going out is simply the best! I just went to the beauty parlor and had my wig cut, I felt so special. Tommorrow we're going out for lunch to celebrate our anniversary, and I'll be dressed. There are just no words to describe how awesome it feels to be out and about.

Gypsykaren

Jesse69
12-15-2005, 11:52 PM
Becky - from your pics you look totally passable as a woman and you look pretty good! So I think you shouldn't have any problems going around - except if you don't have a femme voice.

Do you have a femme voice?

Can you post more pics of yourself in the Pictures Section?

Christina Nicole
12-16-2005, 09:18 AM
Never had any problems when I go out dressed. When shopping, going out to dinner, or whatever, people are always nice and polite. I always treat other people with respect and politness and they return the favor, I guess.

Well, I shouldn't say never. One of the first time I went out dressed, I went to a TG makeover "expert" who worked from her apartment in a high rise near Philadelphia. The bozo at the front desk was very, very rude. After I was made over, I was waiting for the elevator, and when it opened, the woman in it started to laugh. It was an exceptionally bad makeover. I never went back to that "expert." Not only couldn't she do the makeup right, but her rates were very expensive. This was over 10 years ago and she was charging about $100/hr with a 3 hour minimum.

However, after that experience. I did find someone, Carla (http://www.carlas.com/allabout/carla.html), who was very helpful. I was able to learn enough that I could get out. Once out, I got better fast and have not had any problems.

There was one more recent time when after trying several dresses and finally selecting one, the girl who was helping me, including fetching different sizes while I was in the dressing room, asked the other girl at the checkout to "please ring this dress up for him." She was very embarrassed and said that she was sorry a number of times. It didn't bother me and I told her that is was fine. I then asked her what gave me away; learning from mistakes is good. Too bad she couldn't, or wouldn't specify any thing.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

Darlena
12-16-2005, 09:30 AM
I must say, I never had a bad experience outside of sore calves the next day.(those high heels) I found that my fears were an exageration of my imagination and I always have a good time. Love+hugs+kisses,

Kaitlyn Michele
12-16-2005, 01:22 PM
i would start by saying there are 2 HUGE gating factors....

1.) what do you want to accomplish??? pass? not be hassled"? hear your clicking heels on some cement?? feel some wind up your skirt?? shop?

2.) what do you look like, we all try to look our best, have different features, sizes (i'm 6'2...crap!!!!). how realistic are we really?

anyway i just think thats a huge part of it..one poor soul here posted about how she got harassed...that would really bother me, and that's what stops me from doing it more..

all i want to do is walk around in my finery and kindof be happy like any other "gal"....so far its been 90% just doing that... about 8% great experiences like having salesladies come up and say can i help you miss??? mmmmm my fave rememberance in the pantyhose section of our local lord/taylor, "can ihelp you maam??" !!!!! other 2 % i have been called fag, and lewdly proposositioned and have been rudely laughed at as well... can't have it all!!

Karren H
12-23-2005, 02:50 AM
I think that gentlemen holding the door for me has been a great experience while out enfemme. I guess if you act like a lady you be treated like one!!!

Love Krren